Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

CaptainPsyko posted:

She is famous *because* her story is heavily covered by national news. She is not national news *because* she is famous.

Gp2k posted:

The news doesn't cover regular people--only famous people, major politicians, rich people, etc. What part of that do you not understand?

Shes a congresswoman, not famous. She is an Important Person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Nevertheless, she is a public figure, which kind of puts her in the newsworthy category. Sure, she wasn't really famous, but she was in a position where she was already in the public eye; she just wasn't doing anything especially interesting.

It's kind of like how I had never heard of Roy Macdonald until like a week ago. Some regular guy who just happens to vote republican could say, "hey, maybe them queers should be allowed to get married after all," and it wouldn't be news. But when a Republican politician says the same thing, it's a big deal.

Also, regular people shooting and stabbing each other over stupid poo poo happens all the time and is therefore not particularly newsworthy. It's fairly unusual for people to try to murder politicians who they don't know personally over abstract ideological differences, so we pay attention to that.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Eyeball posted:

Also, regular people shooting and stabbing each other over stupid poo poo happens all the time and is therefore not particularly newsworthy. It's fairly unusual for people to try to murder politicians who they don't know personally over abstract ideological differences, so we pay attention to that.

People shoot each other all the time.

People do not shoot 20 people at once all the time. This fact, combined with the magnitude of her recovery is a significant contributing factor in her newsworthiness.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Politicians aren't famous the moment they become politicians. Who was Sarah Palin before she was suddenly picked to run as a vp? She's just a former partial term governor. She never even became a vice president.
Why is she so talked about all of the time?

People like her and Giffords have defining moments that catapult them into national attention.

It's been 28 years since a congressperson has been murdered or wounded in office, other than Giffords, and the attack itself would have been a national headline even without a famous/important person involved.

synthexic
Oct 21, 2003

x i i i
Im looking for a good podcast app for iPad that will psh podcasts to my device. Ideally it'll be free but I don't mind paying. Suggestions?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is a tautology. Gabrielle Giffords was not covered by national news before she was shot. She was not, by most conventional definitions of the term, 'famous', and did not have a substantial reputation as a major player on the Hill - she was just another one of the 435, important to residents of her district, and maybe extreme inside baseball watchers, but otherwise, pretty unremarkable, and certainly not the sort of person covered by national news.

Maybe this is another stupid question, but is what he said actually a tautological statement? Seems more like circular reasoning.

tautology

a. Needless repetition of the same sense in different words; redundancy.
b. An instance of such repetition.

2. Logic An empty or vacuous statement composed of simpler statements in a fashion that makes it logically true whether the simpler statements are factually true or false; for example, the statement Either it will rain tomorrow or it will not rain tomorrow.

"She is famous because the news covers her and the news only covers famous people."

Hmm, maybe it is. Tautological statements are even "dumber" than that, aren't they?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Dudebro posted:

Maybe this is another stupid question, but is what he said actually a tautological statement? Seems more like circular reasoning.

tautology

a. Needless repetition of the same sense in different words; redundancy.
b. An instance of such repetition.

2. Logic An empty or vacuous statement composed of simpler statements in a fashion that makes it logically true whether the simpler statements are factually true or false; for example, the statement Either it will rain tomorrow or it will not rain tomorrow.

"She is famous because the news covers her and the news only covers famous people."

Hmm, maybe it is. Tautological statements are even "dumber" than that, aren't they?

Not quite a tautology, but a good old fashioned "P implies Q; P, therefore Q" - the most basic proof in logic. (News coverage implies fame; She has news coverage, therefore she's famous).

Let's get ready for some symbols:
~ "not"
-> "implies"
== "is equivalent to" - the statements mean the same thing
=/= "is not equivalent to" - the statements on each side have different meanings

Given those statements, she could be famous even without news coverage. (P -> Q =/= ~P -> ~Q)
However, if we knew she was not famous, we could assume that she was not covered by the news (P -> Q == ~Q -> ~P).

Hooray symbolic logic!

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I just watched No Country for Old Men for the first time since it came out a few years ago. What does Vietnam have to do with it? Lewellyn is a vet, Chigurgh is a vet, and Tommy Lee jones' character was a WWII vet in the book. Is there any indication that Woody Harrelson's character is a Vet? I can't imagine that a thing like that would be left out by such a precise writer and such precise filmmakers. Most of the people that write about themes in the book pick up on more philosophical ideas but I feel like the way veterans are portrayed in all these different ways plays a part (including the way the border guard lets Lewellyn through because he was in Vietnam). Is there a site that explains this?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Is there something that can be used to download whole threads for offline reading?
I recall seeing something ages ago, but have no idea how to find it now.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Why is personal debt a terrible thing, but "good" for corporations and nations, etc.?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Dudebro posted:

Why is personal debt a terrible thing, but "good" for corporations and nations, etc.?

Because it (artificially) inflates the economy/sales. It's really only "good" for the short term.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Dudebro posted:

Why is personal debt a terrible thing

It's not. Not necessarily anyway.

Student loans - good.

Credit card debt incurred buying new TV - bad.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dudebro posted:

Personal debt is not generally leveraged to make more money in the end.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Dead Alice posted:

Is there something that can be used to download whole threads for offline reading?
I recall seeing something ages ago, but have no idea how to find it now.

wget - though there's probably some browser add-on now

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande
If I'm watching a Youtube playlist is there any way to tell it to fully load each video before playing?

I'd like to use Youtube for background music but it's constantly pausing to buffer.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Student loans - good.

Not necessarily.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

b0nes posted:

I never said it wasn't newsworthy. My question is why is so much attention being poured on Gabriel Giffords?
The reason her story is getting so much attention is because it's newsworthy. If it wasn't newsworthy, it wouldn't be getting so much attention. I don't understand how you can understand that it's newsworthy and then wonder why it's worthy of being on the loving news.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

laughterhouse five posted:

If I'm watching a Youtube playlist is there any way to tell it to fully load each video before playing?

I'd like to use Youtube for background music but it's constantly pausing to buffer.

Use grooveshark.com instead.

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Use grooveshark.com instead.

I actually have an account there and still keep forgetting that site exists. So thanks. :ughh:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If I'm at, say, and indian restaurant and I get a buffet but there are still waiters hanging around waiting to refill my water and give me bread and such, do I tip?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Yes, but not as much as you'd tip a table waiter. I'd give about half. They don't get the hassle of individual tables, but they're on their feet all the same.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

cosmicjim posted:

It's been 28 years since a congressperson has been murdered or wounded in office, other than Giffords, and the attack itself would have been a national headline even without a famous/important person involved.

Who was the previous one?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

baquerd posted:

Personal debt is not generally leveraged to make more money in the end.

Yet defaults and bankruptcies are so commonplace so is it really a wise practice?

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor

kimbo305 posted:

For a lot of CS code assignments, the profs can run anti-cheat software to measure similarity between implementations. Shallow changes usually aren't enough to full these things. Who knows if your prof is bothering, especially for non-finals work. Do you have a TA you can ask about what the class policies are?

No TA, it's community college. Somehow I'm now more sympathetic after 17 hours of trying to make the drat program work topped off by having to take a separate midterm in 2 hours. I don't need no sleep :zoro: .

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
No one likes a snitcher. I'd leave it alone unless it personally affected me or my grades.

Apples and Oranges
Jun 28, 2009

Dudebro posted:

Yet defaults and bankruptcies are so commonplace so is it really a wise practice?

For whom? The businesses think they will make more money by borrowing. The lenders are presumably charging enough interest to cover the chance of default. I am guessing that overall, defaults and bankruptcies make up a small percentage of all borrowers.

Some businesses don't borrow, and they are at less risk when there is an economic downturn, but I think they tend to grow more slowly. Running a business and investing is in part about weighing expected gain versus perceived risk.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dudebro posted:

In order to default on a loan, one must first obtain a loan. During this process, the lender will perform a risk analysis where the dollar adjusted probability of you costing them money is less than the dollar adjusted probability you making them money. Bad risk analysis is not a wise practice.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

stubblyhead posted:

Who was the previous one?

I would have thought Leo Ryan, the only congresscritter killed in the line of duty. However, that was 34 years ago, not 28.

Turns out it was Larry McDonald, who was killed when the Soviets shot down KAL 007.

The last wounding was in 1973. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress_members_killed_or_wounded_in_office

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Golbez posted:

I would have thought Leo Ryan, the only congresscritter killed in the line of duty. However, that was 34 years ago, not 28.

Turns out it was Larry McDonald, who was killed when the Soviets shot down KAL 007.

The last wounding was in 1973. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress_members_killed_or_wounded_in_office

Or, if you're :tinfoil: minded, Paul Wellstone.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I was thinking Leo Ryan too, but that was like 33 years ago. And how could I forget Wellstone; an ex of mine was rather paranoid and could not be convinced that it was an accident.

Timber Wolf
Jan 16, 2008

Die with honor!
Hey guys, I have a math/video game question. I was going to make a thread about it, but this is something which is probably only of interest to me, so the sticky suggests I should post it here.

In short, how can I model an optimal (in terms of maximum damage per second) attack speed:attack damage ratio given how much each stat costs in the game? I mean, getting only one or the other becomes cost-inefficient at some point; spending some money on the other stat too yields a greater increase in DPS for the money. How can I calculate that sweet spot?

Thanks and feel free to ask me if the problem isn't clear.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I video record animal behavior as part of my research. Before each recording session, I take a photo of a title card (using the same camera). I want to edit the videos so the title card appears at the beginning of it for a couple of seconds. I've been playing around with VirtualDub and can't seem to find anything, and Google isn't much help either.

How can I do it?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Underflow posted:

Yes, but not as much as you'd tip a table waiter. I'd give about half. They don't get the hassle of individual tables, but they're on their feet all the same.

Tipping is a very touchy subject but I'd say still 15%. Unless it's someplace where you are busing your own plates and getting your own drinks the wait staff is still doing a lot of work. Every time you finish a plate someone is removing it for you and when you need more soda/water/beer they are bringing it to the table (EDIT: and bread). Just because they are not bringing you your food doesn't mean they are not waiting on you.

If you want to ask if they are paid a tipped wage or non-tipped wage that would answer your question. I'd imagine they are paid the $2.50 (whatever it is) of a tipped wage server and should be tipped by the customer accordingly.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

gariig posted:

Tipping is a very touchy subject but I'd say still 15%. Unless it's someplace where you are busing your own plates and getting your own drinks the wait staff is still doing a lot of work. Every time you finish a plate someone is removing it for you and when you need more soda/water/beer they are bringing it to the table (EDIT: and bread). Just because they are not bringing you your food doesn't mean they are not waiting on you.

If you want to ask if they are paid a tipped wage or non-tipped wage that would answer your question. I'd imagine they are paid the $2.50 (whatever it is) of a tipped wage server and should be tipped by the customer accordingly.

Ah, okay. The buffet thing here in continental Europe is often a budget thing, which can very well mean that you're on your own re. plates, cutlery, glasses, and sometimes even your drinks - in small bottles or from machines. Only a few waiters patrol the floor in case someone makes a mess.

It's true that even in those cases they should get a decent tip, as not too many people will tip them at all and they're on low wages already.

Funny thing, tipping. Customs and rates can vary a lot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How honest do you have to be on those ~100 question online job applications? I'm obviously completely honest with everything else, but those questions are completely insane.

You know, the format of:

I have never been dishonest with my parents

a] Strongly Agree
b] Agree
c] No Opinion
d] Disagree
e] Strongly Disagree

Is it really good to just go "Strongly Agree" on the obvious good quality questions, and "Strongly Disagree" on the bad qualities questions? Am I just supposed to fill in whatever they want to hear like I have been with every application? I've been on a mad dash the past month applying for part time jobs to fund college, so i've done tons of these.

YHWH
May 17, 2011
:gb2gbs:

ASK ME ABOUT BUYING A PEANUTS AVATAR IN AN ATTEMPT TO PRETEND TO BE AN FYAD

Avocadoes posted:

How honest do you have to be on those ~100 question online job applications? I'm obviously completely honest with everything else, but those questions are completely insane.

You know, the format of:

a] Strongly Agree
b] Agree
c] No Opinion
d] Disagree
e] Strongly Disagree

Is it really good to just go "Strongly Agree" on the obvious good quality questions, and "Strongly Disagree" on the bad qualities questions? Am I just supposed to fill in whatever they want to hear like I have been with every application? I've been on a mad dash the past month applying for part time jobs to fund college, so i've done tons of these.

I'd be honest, but on the other hand, I'm unemployed.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Avocadoes posted:

You know, the format of:

a] Strongly Agree
b] Agree
c] No Opinion
d] Disagree
e] Strongly Disagree

I don't know anything about the particulars nor am I a psychologist but I would consider someone to be dishonest if they selected A.

Also, don't those tests usually rephrase the same type of question that would seem less "bad" to see if you'll reverse yourself (are being dishonest)?

E: But yea, if you consider yourself a "good person" why lie?

EE: And who the heck has a 100 question online quiz for an application?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

gariig posted:

It's worth noting that in the United States, at least, even tipped servers are guaranteed minimum wage; the employer is entitled to pay them the lower rate only if their tips at least make up the difference between the lower rate and minimum wage. If there's a slow week or the waiter gets stuck with bad tippers, the employer is obliged to pay the waiter enough that the average hourly rate is at least minimum wage.

My problem with the buffet-style places in my area are that the majority of them require payment in advance (to avoid things like people loading up on food and then walking out), and since I pay almost exclusively with plastic and don't like carrying cash, I'm put in the position of paying the tip before service is given, which is, I believe, an unethical situation to put a customer in.

(The solution I've found is simply to not go to these places if I don't have cash. ;))

e:

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I don't know anything about the particulars nor am I a psychologist but I would consider someone to be dishonest if they selected A.

Also, don't those tests usually rephrase the same type of question that would seem less "bad" to see if you'll reverse yourself (are being dishonest)?

E: But yea, if you consider yourself a "good person" why lie?

The tests are long specifically because they have repeats of questions, phrased differently, to judge consistency of answers. The theory is that someone who's being honest will be consistent; someone who's not will forget over the course of the questionnaire which answers they've given.

Also, the people analyzing those questionnaires pay special attention to extreme answers ("Strongly agree"/"Strongly disagree"), as they're flags for people who are trying to convince the employer of something.

Also also, these questionnaires are pretty standard for retail and service-industry applications. They're most common in applications for positions that handle money.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 23, 2011

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Every single minimum wage retail application I have seen has this quiz or one like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Selavi posted:

Every single minimum wage retail application I have seen has this quiz or one like it.

Ohh really? Sorry, I wasn't meaning to sound smug. I guess poo poo's changed a lot.

That's ridiculous.