Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Any suggestions for carrying: hasselblad, prism viewfinder, 2 backs, Polaroid back, pistol grips, film + odds and ends?
It doesn't require that much space but I don't want them rubbing against each other or carry a huge bag with too many divisions. I don't ever carry it long (yay assistants-sherpas) so it doesn't need to be super ergonomic but I do like bags to look nice and be somewhat accessible. Right now I'm just using a square lowepro bag and it's giving under all the weight and hard edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

orenji posted:

Mybe I'm a bit more pedantic about this kind of stuff. My bag actually rubbed a hole in one pair of jeans, and then made another pair look ridiculous - normal, all except for where the bag rubbed, which looked a different color. Has anyone had any success softening these bags up? They look cool, and do a great job, but I want my pants to remain in tact!

Buy less lovely jeans or buy a leather bag (if you don't already have one). Seriously, I carry my bag everywhere and it's never worn a hole in my jeans or even left a rubbing area, and I hang it as low as possible so nearly the whole thing rides on my thigh. Also if you're buying super expensive jeans, buy more quality brands because a lot of $200 fashion jeans are paper thin garbage with a brand.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

nonanone posted:

Any suggestions for carrying: hasselblad, prism viewfinder, 2 backs, Polaroid back, pistol grips, film + odds and ends?
It doesn't require that much space but I don't want them rubbing against each other or carry a huge bag with too many divisions. I don't ever carry it long (yay assistants-sherpas) so it doesn't need to be super ergonomic but I do like bags to look nice and be somewhat accessible. Right now I'm just using a square lowepro bag and it's giving under all the weight and hard edges.
Maybe you can consider a ThinkTank StreetWalker, it sounds like it should be able to fit all that inside. If not you can get the StreetWalker Pro.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Is the streetwalker comfortable? It always seemed kind of big to me, and I'm a 5'1" person, so large backpacks look comical on me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

nonanone posted:

Is the streetwalker comfortable? It always seemed kind of big to me, and I'm a 5'1" person, so large backpacks look comical on me.
I think it's one of the smaller backpacks out there already, although I think some of the Kata ones might be smaller. Which Lowepro bag were you using?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Some really crappy one, Rozo something AW. I thought about trying the Katas too, but if the Streetwalker's not too big, I might give that a try, since I'm pretty much a thinktank fanboy already.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

nonanone posted:

Some really crappy one, Rozo something AW. I thought about trying the Katas too, but if the Streetwalker's not too big, I might give that a try, since I'm pretty much a thinktank fanboy already.

It's kind of a long and skinny bag. I have the HD and love it. Doesn't look that big, but holds tons of stuff.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

nonanone posted:

I'm a big fan of my Lowepro Exchange messenger. I comfortably carry a Hassie with back and 80mm attached, 150mm lens, spot meter and pouch full of 120 film in the main compartment. There are a couple of little pockets on the front for odds and ends. I think I paid thirty bucks for it.

Revolver
Feb 23, 2004
Any recommendations for a bag to take on long hikes with my d7000 and a 18-200mm lens attached?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

stingray1381 posted:

Any recommendations for a bag to take on long hikes with my d7000 and a 18-200mm lens attached?

I went with the Tenba Small Shootout bag and really like it, however it is pretty heavy just by itself. But if you use the waist straps (I took mine off right away) on long/heavy hikes then that might help.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Any recommendations for a NON-camera backpack? I purchased a Dakine backpack in 2002 and I've used it almost every single day since then. It has travelled with me all over the world and to work every day. It's nearing the end of its life and I've started searching around for a replacement.

Aside from Dakine, who else make good quality bags?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

psylent posted:

Any recommendations for a NON-camera backpack? I purchased a Dakine backpack in 2002 and I've used it almost every single day since then. It has travelled with me all over the world and to work every day. It's nearing the end of its life and I've started searching around for a replacement.

I highly recommend anything from Tom Bihn. See my earlier post about a backpack:

8th-samurai posted:

Recently I flew home to NY for a week. All of my luggage was torn and beat to hell so I went shopping for a new bag. This is not really a camera bag but it's pretty loving rad so I think it belongs here.

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104

I managed to fit 5 days worth of clothes, a Hasselblad with additional lens, Polaroid 250 land, couple of paperbacks, 20 rolls of 120, and six packs of Polaroid film. I still had room for a few incidentals as well. It's very comfortable to carry even fully loaded. Highly recommended to anyone that needs a traveling bag.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
anyone have experience with one of these bags?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/731836-REG/National_Geographic_NG_A5270_NG_A5270_Africa_Series.html

I am always carrying:
- chamonix 4x5 (they're about the same size as a crown graphic is folded)
- smallish 135mm lens on toyo board, sometimes a bigger one as well like a 90mm
- 15 film holders
- really bulky Toyo darkcloth
- lovely manfrotto carbon compact tripod
- vivitar 285hv
- my meter

I can fit it all in the bag I currently use but it looks like it's going to burst open at any minute a lot of the time and nearly impossible to close. I'm also going to be using a leica for a few months soon so its got to be able to hold that plus three lenses and at least 20 rolls of 35 at the same time. Possible??????

The XKCD Larper fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 16, 2011

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

psylent posted:

Ogio. I've had a Ogio Nyquist for 7 years and I've taken it for every single vacation and trip I've been on, as well as using it for a daily pack. Everything's designed so well and the most abuse it is showing is a slight tear in the fabric near the back, which doesn't affect anything at all.

That said, it is by far the WORST camera bag ever, and I ordered a Kata 467i because it killed my D80 on a recent snowboarding trip (which it handled nicely otherwise). No padded insert, no dice :( It may also have been due to the -25C environment, but I digress.

EDIT: I just noticed you've had your bag for two years longer than mine. Keeping it real :cool:

Miko fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 16, 2011

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

I am trying to decide between the Think Tank Retrospective 10 and 20. I know the 20 is designed to fit a 70-200/f2.8 attached to the camera, but I am interested in fitting a 70-200/f4 attached to a gripped 40d. Will the slightly smaller 70-200/f4 fit attached to the camera in the retrospective 10 or should I go for the 20?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

jsmith114 posted:

I am trying to decide between the Think Tank Retrospective 10 and 20. I know the 20 is designed to fit a 70-200/f2.8 attached to the camera, but I am interested in fitting a 70-200/f4 attached to a gripped 40d. Will the slightly smaller 70-200/f4 fit attached to the camera in the retrospective 10 or should I go for the 20?
I have a Retrospective 10 and it fits the 70-200 2.8 attached to my camera too. Grip shouldn't be a problem. See my post earlier in the thread, with pics: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298813&pagenumber=10&perpage=40#post385545380

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

^^^^^
Excellent, Thanks!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Yeah, the f/4 should be no problem on the Retrospective 10. The f/2.8 sticks out of the top a little bit, but you can close the bag. With the f/4 being about an inch shorter, it should fit perfectly.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

jsmith114 posted:

Just to add to what's already been said, I can fit my 1d + 70-200/f4 with no trouble in my Retrospective 10. It does stick out a tiny little bit but the top flap is pretty long so it covers things easily.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Miko posted:

Bag chat
Thanks, I'll add them to my list of brands to investigate.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I'm looking for a new shoulder bag at the moment. I want to get the smallest one in which I can fit a D700, 35mm/50mm/85mm (one mounted), and a 500ml water bottle.

I'm looking at bags like the TT Retrospective 10 and Domke F-5XB; frustratingly, they all seem to be either slightly too small or much too big for my needs.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I couldn't find a bag that I liked that wasn't very expensive, so I found a cheap bag in a second hand store and then bought an insert from ebay. Total about $30.

It perfectly fits my 7D, 17-40mm, 70-300L and another random lens, iPad, R-strap and other stuff. It even fits with the 70-300mm mounted.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Ric posted:

I'm looking for a new shoulder bag at the moment. I want to get the smallest one in which I can fit a D700, 35mm/50mm/85mm (one mounted), and a 500ml water bottle.

I'm looking at bags like the TT Retrospective 10 and Domke F-5XB; frustratingly, they all seem to be either slightly too small or much too big for my needs.

The R10 sounds like a good fit for that.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

sensy v2.0 posted:

I couldn't find a bag that I liked that wasn't very expensive, so I found a cheap bag in a second hand store and then bought an insert from ebay. Total about $30.

It perfectly fits my 7D, 17-40mm, 70-300L and another random lens, iPad, R-strap and other stuff. It even fits with the 70-300mm mounted.

What insert is that? That looks pretty nice, although I'd probably need to get some more padding for the strap.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

BetterLekNextTime posted:

What insert is that? That looks pretty nice, although I'd probably need to get some more padding for the strap.
Something like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/FOSSOUX-RF-Part...9#ht_2033wt_907

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

psylent posted:

Timbuk2 stuff is awesome. I just got a custom Swig, made in San Francisco and out of their ballistic nylon, and it's fantastic. I had a laptop messenger from them for about 10 years and it still looks new, but I had to switch to a backpack due to some shoulder issues. I tried a Q from them, but the lighter nylon and weird pockets made me return it. The Swig is incredible.

Speaking of my new cool backpack, has anyone tried the Crumpler Haven inserts?

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 21, 2011

Choosebary
Oct 23, 2003

I see there's a lot of love for the blackrapid straps in here but I don't remember seeing people talking about the spider holster very much. I just spent a week walking/semi-hiking for up to 5 miles a day carrying a 1d mk iv with either a 70-200 or a 100-400 using the spider belt and holster and it was awesome.

I had to readjust it every few miles as you can obviously feel it drag you down to one side with around 3kg on it but compared to any other strap/system I've ever used it was amazing. Being able to grab it easily whilst also knowing it was rock solidly attached to your hip was great, and it not swaying around on a strap felt really good walking through rocky/potentially damaging areas. Although having that rock solid connection was not so great when deciding to sit on rocks and there's not much give, I have some severely scratched up lens hoods from repeated mistakes there.

Combining it with a Domke F-3X shoulder bag for other lenses and general stuff also worked great as the domke is so low key and low weight.

I'm sure I looked like a bit of a tit but I didn't give a gently caress, it felt great.

Speaking of looking like a tit I've also just gotten a black rapid double strap for event work but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The problem with the spider holster is that you have to actually put the camera back on the holster when you're not holding the camera. With straps, you can let the camera go and it'll hang there regardless which is important when doing things like juggling lenses or dealing with papers or what not. There's also the security factor when doing things like taking photos one-handed over a railing or something like that. If I had to run a holster system, I'd probably do something like the ThinkTank belt+holster dealie. At least the camera is protected by a padded case plus I know a few pros that run like that and they like it.

Choosebary
Oct 23, 2003

I forgot to mention that I had a canon hand strap on the 1D the whole time and without that would have felt very much less secure. You also do have a point with lens changes, it took even more juggling than usual.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The R10 sounds like a good fit for that.
Somewhat taller than I'd prefer though

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Thanks for all of the replies. Just when I thought I had decided on the Retrospective 10 I started looking at eBay prices and noticed a bunch of Malaysian sellers listing new Crumpler 7MDH for $65. These guys don't have much positive feedback - this has to be counterfeit or something, right?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jsmith114 posted:

Thanks for all of the replies. Just when I thought I had decided on the Retrospective 10 I started looking at eBay prices and noticed a bunch of Malaysian sellers listing new Crumpler 7MDH for $65. These guys don't have much positive feedback - this has to be counterfeit or something, right?

Or a scam.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

jsmith114 posted:

I'd imagine bags have a huge markup and the wholesale prices are quite low so it might be ligt and through a weird loophole. I got my domke for nearly 60% off on ebay and it's definitely legit. Of course that was from a domestic seller so your milage may vary.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

jsmith114 posted:

Very likely counterfeit.

I learned the hard way recently and purchased one. I'm in the process of getting refunded right now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Put the $7 Million Dollar Home through some pretty hefty use this weekend. I was surprised how strong the velcro holds when carried around by the handle. I'd like some smaller pockets or dividers in the accessory pocket, and the real slim side pockets are all but worthless, but you can get a boatload of stuff in the main compartment without a problem, and it's sturdy as hell. I haven't taken it out in the rain but I'm sure it would do fine.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

My Filk Mp3s posted:

anyone have experience with one of these bags?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/731836-REG/National_Geographic_NG_A5270_NG_A5270_Africa_Series.html

I am always carrying:
- chamonix 4x5 (they're about the same size as a crown graphic is folded)
- smallish 135mm lens on toyo board, sometimes a bigger one as well like a 90mm
- 15 film holders
- really bulky Toyo darkcloth
- lovely manfrotto carbon compact tripod
- vivitar 285hv
- my meter

I can fit it all in the bag I currently use but it looks like it's going to burst open at any minute a lot of the time and nearly impossible to close. I'm also going to be using a leica for a few months soon so its got to be able to hold that plus three lenses and at least 20 rolls of 35 at the same time. Possible??????

Not a bag recommendation, but get some Grafmatics or Mido holders or something. 15 DDS holders, yikes!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I've just got a Domke F-5XZ as a small walkaround bag. It's a good, snug fit for my D700, 24/35/50/85mm lenses and a water bottle.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Do straps exist that can make a Hassie 500c/m a walk around camera?

I baby it so much and shove it back into my bag after every shot, currently, but now the weather is nice I want to do a bit more street/wandering with it and without my bag.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I baby it so much and shove it back into my bag after every shot, currently, but now the weather is nice I want to do a bit more street/wandering with it and without my bag.

I have a Blackrapid RS-7 and an OP/TECH neck strap. They're both really nice and make the Hassie comfortable to wear around one's neck for extended periods of time, although I go back and forth on which one I like better (for now I have the OP/TECH on because I just got it). If you're going to be in Tokyo for Group A orientation, I'll make sure the RS-7 doesn't go in the bag I'm forwarding to Karatsu so you can have a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Depends on how you want it to hang. My RB67 has a short neck strap which makes it really convenient to use the viewfinder, but the downside is that it is a little short to throw over your shoulder and carry.

• Locked thread