Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

SamuraiPaul posted:

Greg Proops is always fun to listen to and I greatly enjoyed him making fun of Graham Elwood's "bad accent" joke (and Madonna) on the Comedy Film Nerds podcast this week.
I know it's juvenile but I always giggle a bit at "'ello! Oim the emperor of China, oi am!".

Ograbme fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Walking the Room is growing on me too. The two of them have a lot of chemistry, but it's much more antagonistic than most podcast host teams. I keep waiting for the moment when the needling and ribbing turns sour and becomes an actual fight, but I haven't heard it yet.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Ograbme posted:

I know it's juvenile but I always giggle a bit at "'ello! Oim the emperor of China, oi am!".

When I heard it the first time I thought it was funny too, but he does it a lot on CFN.

Joe Rogan seems mostly harmless when he's talking about science, weed, spirituality and all that silly stuff but I don't enjoy listening to him talk about women. That always gets a little upsetting for me. The nice thing is that his podcast has encouraged me to exercise regularly (I'm not eating healthier, though, so I'm sort of loving it all up, anyway.) In which episodes of the best show was Tom dumping on Rogan? I haven't listened to that show in awhile but I wouldn't mind hearing that.

(I don't think science or spirituality is all that silly. I just think it's silly when Rogan talks about it.)

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 23, 2011

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

CortezFantastic posted:

I love the Rogan podcast but he seriously thinks that a zombie outbreak could happen. Love the fucker but dude, really?

My biggest head-slapping moment was when he was talking about the moon landing. Like, he doesn't completely buy the conspiracy theories, but he's also not totally convinced we ever went to the moon. Seriously dude, what the gently caress?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Groucho Marxist posted:

I would rather someone be all about silly 4/20 stuff like Benson than talk about the magic spiritual qualities weed has like Rogan

Yea let's be super clear here, it's annoying when Doug goes all 'heh heh my show is at 4:20 guys, get it, like the weed thing?!' but goddamn Joe has no grounds to mock that with his bullshit 'no man weed is like, magic and sacred to me so I'm better then those others'

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Why can't people just smoke weed or not and get over it?
There's a comedian who has a bit about how he wants marijuana legalized just so stoners can find something else to talk about.

Doug has worn thin on me, DLM is one of the last podcasts I'll listen to because I don't like him as a person, even though I usually enjoy his guests. What he really needs is a reboot where he has something else to lean on other than the Leonard Maltin game. When I do listen to his show, that's usually where things start to dip anyway, and he'll cut off interesting and funny conversation just to shoehorn that stupid game in.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

His stand up isn't that great either. I saw him here in Boise last year after having been a fan of DLM for a while and he just wasn't very good.

The guests interaction for the Maltin game is ten times better than the actual game itself, but he has really fallen back to using it as the main crutch for his show. He mentioned it in his act here, but didn't end up playing it because the crowd was pretty small.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
I think if he either A) drops the game, or B) gets out of UCB and actually does his podcast in a studio or something so he doesn't have to go "OH GOD FIVE MINUTES HURRY HURRY HURRY" the podcast would be leaps and bounds better.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

shotgunbadger posted:

I think if he either A) drops the game, or B) gets out of UCB and actually does his podcast in a studio or something so he doesn't have to go "OH GOD FIVE MINUTES HURRY HURRY HURRY" the podcast would be leaps and bounds better.
I think he might have a harder time scraping together three known guests every week if it weren't being taped at a place and before a show where everyone was already congregating.

e: Sure, 3 guests wouldn't be necessary if it weren't for the game, but I don't know how much I'd enjoy the show if it shifted toward Doug-as-a-personality rather than Doug as ringmaster for a comic panel.

WoG fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 23, 2011

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
I'm usually bored by the in-studio DLM episodes. I enjoy the performance aspect of the regular show and the crowd reactions, which I think helps the guests be funny and more broad. As far as the Leonard Maltin game, I enjoy the guests screwing it up or totally dominating, more than feeling like I'm playing along at home. My attention weaves in and out with any podcast though, because I'm usually listening at work and working on, or reading, something else at the same time.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
If we didn't have the Leonard Maltin we would have never seen Michael Rooker be Michael Rooker.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

-Atom- posted:

If we didn't have the Leonard Maltin we would have never seen Michael Rooker be Michael Rooker.

Also John Lithgow being the opposite of Michael Rooker

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

Also John Lithgow being the opposite of Michael Rooker

I'll never get over how surprised I was that John Lithgow was a nice, funny, and generally awesome guy on the show. I was expecting a disappoint after all that buildup.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Vertigus posted:

I'll never get over how surprised I was that John Lithgow was a nice, funny, and generally awesome guy on the show. I was expecting a disappoint after all that buildup.

Really after so much "AND HE'S GONNA BE THE BEST AND YOU'LL ALL JUST poo poo YOURSELF HOW GREAT HE IS" I expected to be let down, and I had seen him in plenty of interviews to know he's a great dude, but he was just amazing on the podcast.

widunder
May 2, 2002

SamuraiPaul posted:

When I heard it the first time I thought it was funny too, but he does it a lot on CFN.

Joe Rogan seems mostly harmless when he's talking about science, weed, spirituality and all that silly stuff but I don't enjoy listening to him talk about women. That always gets a little upsetting for me. The nice thing is that his podcast has encouraged me to exercise regularly (I'm not eating healthier, though, so I'm sort of loving it all up, anyway.) In which episodes of the best show was Tom dumping on Rogan? I haven't listened to that show in awhile but I wouldn't mind hearing that.

(I don't think science or spirituality is all that silly. I just think it's silly when Rogan talks about it.)
Yeah I don't enjoy Rogan's underlying misogyni. Bill Burr's issues with women are funny. Joe's aren't.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Rogan doesn't have any issues with women? Whatever you think you might have heard I think you are mistaken.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!
Downloaded the Flop House Oscar episode, heard the "what if penny met a dinosaur" anecdote, hit subscribe. I can't believe I ever listened to How Did This Get Made when this podcast exists.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
If you've given up on Affirmation Nation or are letting it pile up (like I have been), episode #13, Bathtub Safety, is a funny one.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

SamuraiPaul posted:

Oh man I bet you didn't like episode 60 then! That was the Smiletrain benefit all-accent show, Graham did nothing but accents. He was true to his word, he didn't break character once during the show, painful as he started to sound towards the end. It was an experience, that's what I'll say about it.

CFN is one of my favorites, as someone who likes movies and comedians, it's turned into one of the most consistently good podcasts. The Greg Proops episode you mentioned was great, although I knew nothing about any of the movies they brought up. It's awesome when they get a guest on who really loves film.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh man I bet you didn't like episode 60 then!

I chose not to listen to it.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

Downloaded the Flop House Oscar episode, heard the "what if penny met a dinosaur" anecdote, hit subscribe. I can't believe I ever listened to How Did This Get Made when this podcast exists.

The Flop House is basically what I wanted HDTGM to be and I'd second the recommendation that people switch over. My only (small) gripe is that they spend over half the time bullshitting about whatever and not as much on the actual movie (although we wouldn't get gems like 'what if penny met a dinosaur' or the porthole of time).

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

j8910 posted:

Doug's pot smoking has gone way past quaint and into the pathetic territory.

Dude, I think you spelled Kevin Smith's name wrong.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

wafflesnsegways posted:

Walking the Room is growing on me too. The two of them have a lot of chemistry, but it's much more antagonistic than most podcast host teams. I keep waiting for the moment when the needling and ribbing turns sour and becomes an actual fight, but I haven't heard it yet.

I think we may be too late--on one of the early podcasts, I think it was maybe 14 or 15, they talk about what it was like to work on their early internet show. (Some pre-podcasting radio network that is long since gone.) Their producer drove them apart and they didn't speak for two years. A better cuddlah than I could tell you the specific episode.

Speaking of WTR, Greg is releasing a new edition of one of his albums, and I love the jacket art: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=180147085374884&set=pu.127915030598090
There might be cake!

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

nemoulette posted:

Yeah I don't enjoy Rogan's underlying misogyni. Bill Burr's issues with women are funny. Joe's aren't.

I remember listening to Carolla a few weeks ago and he was implying that Rogan put out a super misogynistic vibe when he took over the Man Show that alienated a lot of staffers. You know you're probably a misogynist when even Carolla is calling you one.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

goldrush posted:

I remember listening to Carolla a few weeks ago and he was implying that Rogan put out a super misogynistic vibe when he took over the Man Show that alienated a lot of staffers. You know you're probably a misogynist when even Carolla is calling you one.

Seriously? Pot, meet tea kettle. I don't think Rogan's that big of misogynist. I would put Carolla above Rogan in that regard.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

goldrush posted:

Rogan actually stopped going on the Howard Stern show after Howard said something similar.

here is a rundown of the specifics

quote:

Gary said he was also annoyed this morning by Joe Rogan's statement about why he no longer does the show. Howard agreed, and said Joe claimed to have been upset by Howard talking about a trip the two had made to a strip club. Howard had later commented that Joe made nasty comments to the strippers, and he wasn't sure if Joe liked women. For some reason, Joe took it seriously. Gary said he doesn't know why Joe didn't just come on the show and defend himself. Howard said Joe seems like a guy who holds a grudge, and Gary agreed, saying that Joe has a lot of Pat Cooper in him.

Seems like a pretty obvious trend.

I still really like Joe as a commentator and a host for his podcast. The Experience is my favorite by quite a bit.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Seriously? Pot, meet tea kettle. I don't think Rogan's that big of misogynist. I would put Carolla above Rogan in that regard.

The idea of Adam 'fuckin sissies turnin our STRONG BOYS into FAGGY GIRLS' Carolla talking about misogyny is loving adorable. Like, I want to pinch his cheeks it's so cute.

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin
Just saw Bill Burr at the Hollywood Improv and he killed. Joey Diaz was supposed to go on before him, but apparently flaked out at the last minute and we got Rogan instead.

I would put Burr up there with Louis CK, he's really one of my favorites, but Rogan stole the show.

Both women I was with said Rogan was by far the funniest. I guess he cloaked his misogyny well.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
How does a star of Joe Rogan's calibre do a fill in spot for a relative unknown, albeit a loving hilarious one, like Joey Diaz? It should totally be the other way around (you lucky motherfucker)

Peter North fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 24, 2011

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
No Those drat Ross Kids this week?! So bummed :(.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
The podcast that I've listened to most consistently over the years is Red Bar Radio : http://redbarradio.com

They feature regular working Chicago Comedians, and are themselves part of the local comedy scene, it gives you more of an insider's perspective.

Interesting if you're tired of the usual touring comics who crop up again and again on podcasts when they have something to plug.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Elphiem posted:

The podcast that I've listened to most consistently over the years is Red Bar Radio : http://redbarradio.com

They feature regular working Chicago Comedians, and are themselves part of the local comedy scene, it gives you more of an insider's perspective.

Interesting if you're tired of the usual touring comics who crop up again and again on podcasts when they have something to plug.

Haha, RBR is hilarious but also loving nuts. Mike David wavers between comedy genius and insane, hateful, spite-filled rear end in a top hat so many times in an episode, I always come away from it feeling kind of gross. I think it's amazing that he can go on the show and say what he says and still have a successful comedy career - his comedy club hosted a big event this year and everything. Crazy. The show has produced some brilliant comedy over the years - the saga of Tim from Boston, the Elan story, basically anything involving daytime talk shows - but drat if it isn't really hard to listen to sometimes. James Fritz usually keeps Mike in check when he's on, though.

I love it though - only podcast I've listened to for over 3 years and still love (sorry Keith and the Girl, but you got kinda boring after you broke up).

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 24, 2011

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011

SamuraiPaul posted:

Who Charted is still my favorite Earwolf show.

It's become pretty amazing. It's also my favorite earwolf show now, more so than CBB.

I just realized though that no one's even talked about Professor Blastoff of the Apple Sisters. I tried Blastoff for two episodes then gave up and the premise of the Apple Sisters does nothing for me, but anyone still listening to them?

Clovis Sangrail
Feb 18, 2011
In case anybody feels the need to dislike Jesse Thorn even more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWqMzLxMj1c

He actually sounds like a Nick Kroll character at various points.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

It's become pretty amazing. It's also my favorite earwolf show now, more so than CBB.

I just realized though that no one's even talked about Professor Blastoff of the Apple Sisters. I tried Blastoff for two episodes then gave up and the premise of the Apple Sisters does nothing for me, but anyone still listening to them?

I still listen to the Apple Sisters, but it hasn't really expanded the characters, and even when its only 20 minutes its kinda hard to listen to an all character show.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

Vigilantly Vigorous posted:

No Those drat Ross Kids this week?! So bummed :(.

You may be surprised. I went home for the week, and we recorded an episode together on Tuesday night. I'll be sitting down to edit this afternoon.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
How to Do Everything isn't setup-punchline funny, but there is a kind of charming humor in how seriously they delve into some weird how-to advice. This week: how to wear a monocle, how to laugh manically. Last week's highlight was how to transport a space shuttle and how to get your dog to stop fearing your freezer, and the week before had solutions regarding sneezing in space.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

GoutPatrol posted:

I still listen to the Apple Sisters, but it hasn't really expanded the characters, and even when its only 20 minutes its kinda hard to listen to an all character show.

Same here, I've been trying but it feels too forced. Probably will stop listening soon unless there are some developments.

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm still listening, but let's be honest, 7 of those minutes are the same in every episode. I think they'd do well if they had a guest come on, instead of doing the same odd conceptual stuff they are doing right now. In the first episode, PFT was playing an actual historical person and the jokes were funny and believable.

I never bothered to start listening to professor blastoff as soon as I read here that it's not trying to be funny. If I want to listen to a podcast about philosophy, I'm going to guess there's probably a lot better out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

I still listen to Professor Blastoff, I haven't even thought to try out the Apple Sisters though.

I like Professor Blastoff in the way I like the Rogan podcast, nearly everything they say is wrong and it's fun to hear them take the journey to their conclusions. Plus every once in a while they do or say something truly funny.

• Locked thread