Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Flavor Bear posted:

When they do that you stare at them, right in the eyes without blinking, straight faced, and take the bell off the counter without breaking eye contact.
It doesn't serve to convey any real message, just works as a good weird reaction.

This is exactly what I used to do. Death glare while I grabbed it away from them flapping at it like some kind of retarded penguin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Hell yes... I got a Junior VFX Artist trainee spot in the biggest post production house in the Nordic countries. Im not guaranteed a job there, but at least I can get out of retail for a while and do some neat stuff.

Hang in there goons.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Dead Cow posted:

edit: Never mind you gave him $3 ones and a buck in change
nevermind

Yeah exactly. :P
I really hope he doesn't come in again. As much as I hate most of my other coworkers, no one really deserves to be yelled at over one freaking dollar.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

silversiren posted:

Yeah exactly. :P
I really hope he doesn't come in again. As much as I hate most of my other coworkers, no one really deserves to be yelled at over one freaking dollar.

One lady shouted at me over twenty cents when I worked in retail. Then she shouted at me even more when she realised I wasn't going to take her problem even remotely seriously. Those situations can be either hilarious or really miserable depending on how you're feeling - if you're having a bad day and some idiot shouts at you, it's going to make your day far worse regardless of how trivial their issue was.

SlaveToTheGrinds: I'm dead curious as to what state you live in so I can avoid that place - you indicated in your other posts they don't seem to have a law saying you get a day off.
Hang in there, I really hope things get better for you. :sympathy:

froglet fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 23, 2011

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

froglet posted:

One lady shouted at me over twenty cents when I worked in retail. Then she shouted at me even more when she realised I wasn't going to take her problem even remotely seriously. Those situations can be either hilarious or really miserable depending on how you're feeling - if you're having a bad day and some idiot shouts at you, it's going to make your day far worse regardless of how trivial their issue was.

I guess I probably shouldn't be working with the public at all. Pretty much every day is a bad day considering my situation at home. Work just makes things more stressful and then people come and treat us this way and I get so caught up in trying and failing to understand why they have to act like that and that makes me even more miserable.
How anyone could be happy living in today's world is beyond me.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

gently caress bells so hard. The number of people who think its funny to mash it when you're standing right there is staggering. I hate every single one of you.
Humans are depilated apes and nothing but, and the best way to illustrate this is to put a human in front of a shiny object that makes an irritating, repetitive noise. Higher brain function just completely shuts down.

At my store, we sell these keychains. They are displayed by cashwrap, because otherwise people steal them. They light up and make a horribly grating, really loud yowling sound when you push a button. Customers are unable to resist pushing the button, not only once, but multiple times even though it makes the most annoying sound in the world. Drives me loving bonkers.

spite house fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 23, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
The job I gleefully left retail for is forced to cut hours. My job is secure, but starting July 1 ill only get 21 hours a week. Time to find a second job and retail is all that's hiring.

:negative:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 23, 2011

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

spite house posted:

Humans are depilated apes and nothing but, and the best way to illustrate this is to put a human in front of a shiny object that makes an irritating, repetitive noise. Higher brain function just completely shuts down.

At my store, we sell these keychains. They are displayed by cashwrap, because otherwise people steal them. They light up and make a horribly grating, really loud yowling sound when you push a button. Customers are unable to resist pushing the button, not only once, but multiple times even though it makes the most annoying sound in the world. Drives me loving bonkers.

Curiousity probably, unfortunately while its likely the first time they've heard it, you hear it all the time so it drives you nuts :P

I do hate bells though, I know how annoying they can be so I often don't want to ring it even when I probably should to get someones attention for service.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just got a call back from a company within an hour of sending them my resume. It's not retail but there will be some telemarketing involved. When I asked how much on the phone she said only a few hours a day so I am hopeful. I have an interview setup for Monday. :)

I think at this point, just about anything is better than Target.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

silversiren posted:

I guess I probably shouldn't be working with the public at all. Pretty much every day is a bad day considering my situation at home. Work just makes things more stressful and then people come and treat us this way and I get so caught up in trying and failing to understand why they have to act like that and that makes me even more miserable.
How anyone could be happy living in today's world is beyond me.

There's a certain "retail enlightenment" I call it when you reach a point where you just don't give a gently caress. My sanity came back when I said gently caress it and just started treating people how they treated me. I also started being blatantly honest to customers. I remember the day when I realized I don't have to give a poo poo and it was liberating.

I'm sure the verbal abuse you received from that rear end in a top hat triggered what you're feeling at home. Now what you do is think next time I won't start crying, I won't get stressed out. Block them out, take a deep breath, and stand up for yourself.

You need to learn to not let stuff get to you. Block it all out and realize customers will always act like poo poo heads. It's a lovely job, poo poo work, poo poo pay, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, you should move your rear end to Louisville, work UPS third shift, and finish your pilot's license. This is the loving world hub of UPS and there are planes constantly landing and taking off every night.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 23, 2011

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I had a customer yesterday bitch about getting her entire purchase for free. On all of our coupons, it states that dollar off discounts are applied prior to percent off discounts. This lady handed me her 30% off coupon, I applied it, then one by one she pulled out several $10 coupons out of her purse until it covered the whole purchase (I don't doubt she had more in there). Thankfully the computer automatically puts the coupons in the order they're supposed to be in, so the 30% ended up ringing as $0 off at the end. She then started prodding about "how much was my 30%?", so I explained to her how % and $ coupons work. She got so angry. I kept apologizing, because I'm not allowed to have a spine, and she left in a big huff about "false advertising" (:rolleyes:) when she literally got her entire $30+ purchase for free.

Oh, and the 30% coupon isn't even valid for 2 more days. I hate that our entire business model relies on the insane amount of coupons. I hate them so much.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

And I was the first person to tell the guys with fake travelers checks to gently caress off. Surprised I didn't get punched in the face when I had that smug look on my face telling him it was fake. Which then improved my last hour before lunch. I don't think I've ever been so giddy. They got me the week before with them, but I had no proof on how fake it was. Now I have actual proof, so hell yes. Plus, I got to stomp out a fire yesterday in the parking lot, so its been a drat good previous two days for me.

So of course, the GSTL gets all the credit from AP when someone tries to walk out with a TV. And I get to hear some bullshit about zone standards that I know but don't give a poo poo about because the bar was set so low here and it wouldn't have mattered if my dumbass co-workers weren't set on doing nothing and getting out early. Ah well, maybe I get to just let off some steam in a controlled fashion and remind this place that hey, I busted my rear end covering for team leads, learning multiple departments and not only do I get passed up for the Hardlines team lead position to someone who hasn't worked on the floor, but who then transferred to GSTL and then not being told I'd lose pay if I transferred to Price Change full time.

gently caress this store and its 3 STLs in 2 1/2 years and a rotating cast of TLs and ETLs.

I gotta get outta retail before my liver goes to poo poo. I literally don't care if you figure out who I am through this, I am seriously done with this goddamn store and its constant bullshit.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 24, 2011

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009
I ended up having to take another stint in fast food management as my electronics job fell through :v: Two weeks in and I've already had to kick out four people for repeatedly swearing at employees. I hate humanity.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Fury1671 posted:

gently caress this store and its 3 STLs in 2 1/2 years and a rotating cast of TLs and ETLs.

What?

Please try and remember that people who don't work at your company read this thread. A lot of your post was lost on me because of the constant acronyms. Wouldn't kill you to type them out, would it?!

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

marshmallard posted:

What?

Please try and remember that people who don't work at your company read this thread. A lot of your post was lost on me because of the constant acronyms. Wouldn't kill you to type them out, would it?!

Agreed, I can usually work out what people mean by their acronyms but the line has been crossed.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

marshmallard posted:

What?

Sorry, I probably shouldn't post in a rage, kinda just has me ignore poo poo. Essentially my store has gone through 3 store managers, and multiple department managers and supervisors and 2 1/2 years.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space
Jesus, it's been 7 years since I worked at Target and I had forgotten how retarded those names are. The emphasis on the word "team" when the equivalent of a department manager can still fire you for no reason (At-Will Employment :smug:)... ugh.

I was in high school at the time and it still enrages how "team leads" at Target were more fascist than straight up "managers" I've had at other jobs. gently caress your, euphemisms for "person who will make your life hell while getting paid significantly more and doing less actual work"

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I hate all bullshit euphemisms. If I ever run my own retail company (doubtful), employees will be called employees, supervisors will be supervisors, managers will be managers and just for shits and giggles, the HR department would become Personnel.

When I worked retail, I'd never refer to myself as an associate or team member or any of that bullshit. It's like telemarketers calling themselves consultants or account executives, and it's insulting to everyone's intelligence.

:argh:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Minions, Task Masters, Lords. The Inquisition can be in charge of HR.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space
The absolute worst: Guest.

I can't loving stand that poo poo. At Target we were required to call customers that. A "guest" doesn't yell about a coupon that expired in 2007 or spray poo poo all over your goddamn sink. A customer definitely loving does. I know this from experience.

At jobs I had after Target some employees loving CHOSE to call our customers guests. I can't loving wrap my head around it. I would ask why and they would have no good answer but they would continue.

A few were obviously just trying to suck up and seem ~customer service oriented~ but a few were otherwise the shittiest employees ever yet I would frequently hear "guest" escape their lips while referring to some jerk-off who was being an rear end in a top hat.

One time a customer made a barista cry and when she was telling me about it afterwards she kept calling this "person" a "guest." I was dumbfounded. Am i just never scheduled to work on the days when the CALL THEM GUESTS brainwashing occurs?

I'm now out of retail and working at a museum. 90% of the time we call our customers "visitors" and I am fine with that because it is a perfectly descriptive and accurate word. But there are still a few people who insist on calling them guests.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

mystery at hog island posted:

The absolute worst: Guest.
I have always hated this use of the word "guest" so much. It's so loving perverse. Such a twisted misinterpretation of the purpose of hospitality.

Besides, when you really think about it, it's better to be a customer than a guest! The Customer Is Always Right, whereas guests and fish start to stink after three days. If someone is a jerkoff, a host can elect not to include them in things. Customers can be jerkoffs all they like! Guests are bound by rules of etiquette; they have to do things like bring host gifts and write thank-you notes. Customers don't have to do squat.

Hotels get to call their customers guests, just because there isn't a better term. Nobody else.

spite house fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 24, 2011

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Does anyone else loving hate when customers pay for a soda or something with a fifty or even a hundred dollar bill? At my store the registers are only given a bunch of tens, fives, and ones so I pretty much have to give the customer most of the change I have. And it's never just one guy, I'll get several people using me to break their huge bills, and if I ask "I'm sorry, I don't have a lot of change left, do you have anything smaller?" they get pissed off.

Worst part is, we have a bank right there in the store. Why don't people go there to break down their money? If I don't have any change and suggest they use the bank they're all "naaaaah I'll just go to the grocery store." I don't get it, why do you NEED to make some cashier's day more stressful by eating up all their change when there's a bank RIGHT THERE that will not only definitely have the change you need, but you won't have to wait. Or be FORCED to buy a soda you don't like because we don't have your favorite brand SIGH better grumble to the cashier about this while I watch her empty her register like a hawk.

Seriously, I've always just gone to a bank when I need a lot of change broken down, is it really that weird?

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer

Dabbo posted:

Does anyone else loving hate when customers pay for a soda or something with a fifty or even a hundred dollar bill? At my store the registers are only given a bunch of tens, fives, and ones so I pretty much have to give the customer most of the change I have. And it's never just one guy, I'll get several people using me to break their huge bills, and if I ask "I'm sorry, I don't have a lot of change left, do you have anything smaller?" they get pissed off.

Worst part is, we have a bank right there in the store. Why don't people go there to break down their money? If I don't have any change and suggest they use the bank they're all "naaaaah I'll just go to the grocery store." I don't get it, why do you NEED to make some cashier's day more stressful by eating up all their change when there's a bank RIGHT THERE that will not only definitely have the change you need, but you won't have to wait. Or be FORCED to buy a soda you don't like because we don't have your favorite brand SIGH better grumble to the cashier about this while I watch her empty her register like a hawk.

Seriously, I've always just gone to a bank when I need a lot of change broken down, is it really that weird?

It's a peverse pleasure of mine to out-:smug: the people who come in with hundreds right after shift change (with a 100$ float no less), when I say I can't change it, they try to buy a pack of gum, I still say no. Seems to shock them that I will miss the 20c (if that) profit from that pack of gum that much.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Oh look.

People demanded refunds because the interminable, dull art-house movie they went to see, which was made by a legendary director of interminable, dull art-house movies, was boring.

At least the movie theater is sticking to its guns and also not calling customers "guests".

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating
I wanted a refund and a brain scrub after seeing "Dog Tooth." I wanted it, I didn't actually go and demand it.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

my darling feet posted:

I wanted a refund and a brain scrub after seeing "Dog Tooth." I wanted it, I didn't actually go and demand it.
Pretty serious difference between regretting having spent the money and wishing you had it back, and thinking the movie theater is responsible.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

spite house posted:

Oh look.

People demanded refunds because the interminable, dull art-house movie they went to see, which was made by a legendary director of interminable, dull art-house movies, was boring.

At least the movie theater is sticking to its guns and also not calling customers "guests".

Haha! My parents told me they just saw that movie, and hated it, and had no idea what was going on or who was who. But they'd never dream of asking for their money back. They just go to movies all the time for the good air conditioning (Palm Springs area).

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

I think I've gotten to that point where my current job is sucking my soul out and is detrimental to my mental health.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

I think I've gotten to that point where my current job is sucking my soul out and is detrimental to my mental health.

I think I got there yesterday, because I've been contacted by a recruiter with a bank call centre who I can't get back to until Monday cause she called in sick at her own job today, and the idea of going back to work in that drat store while I'm waiting for her to finally call me back is loving killing me and making me seriously depressed. :smith:

\/\/\/ according to that then I should start doing lines of coke.

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 25, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

Start drinking. No one will notice.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So, after realizing that I don't really like my job and the stress of 3rd shift is not at all worth an extra $6 a week (25 cents extra an hour, average about 24 hours a week) I decided to start applying to other places that are nearby. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to be fired when the store manager gets back from vacation. There's been too much leaving me out of the loop and side glances.

On the off chance I get an interview, would something along the lines of my body not adjusting to the 3rd shift as quickly/well as I'd hoped sound bad? I guess it could be taken as admitting I was bad at my job. I mean, I am but I wouldn't want to say that in an interview.

Sure wish I had other prospects.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Sankis posted:

So, after realizing that I don't really like my job and the stress of 3rd shift is not at all worth an extra $6 a week (25 cents extra an hour, average about 24 hours a week) I decided to start applying to other places that are nearby. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to be fired when the store manager gets back from vacation. There's been too much leaving me out of the loop and side glances.

On the off chance I get an interview, would something along the lines of my body not adjusting to the 3rd shift as quickly/well as I'd hoped sound bad? I guess it could be taken as admitting I was bad at my job. I mean, I am but I wouldn't want to say that in an interview.

Sure wish I had other prospects.

I'm pretty sure wanting to move to a daytime work schedule is a perfectly legitimate reason to look for a new job and one which no employer will bat an eye at.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I feel like I should mentiom something to the manager about the incident with the customer the other day. The fact that no one came over after and said anything to me, or even that they said nothing to the man about how he was acting, kind of bothers me. This company has been rated in the top 10 companies to work for for 75 years but I don't think I want to be with a company that let's customers get away with treating their employees like this. I don't deserve to be called stupid.

Testro
May 2, 2009
In all honesty, I would let it drop.

When people are crappy to people in retail, it infuriates me (I go out of my way to be polite, friendly and helpful when I'm on either side of the counter) but this isn't worth making a huge deal over. If he'd been racist or homophobic or something like that, then yeah, I would consider bringing it up because there's something for the management to work with but him calling you stupid (as opposed to *huge torrent of swear words*) is difficult to do much about.

His behaviour was utterly unwarranted but it's because you confused him. It sounds like he wanted to get rid of some of his change and get some nice, easy to carry dollars instead and you stopped him (unwittingly). That irritated him, and he blew off at you (and/or he's as thick as pig poo and couldn't work out what you'd done, but engaged his mouth before his brain).

Seriously, it sucks that you bore the brunt of it but there's nothing your management can particularly do about it to make you feel any better. From what you've said, it sounds like you're really not very well. Try and shove this idiot out of your mind...easier said than done, but he's not worth the brain space. You need to get better and stressing over his actions won't help you.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Testro posted:

In all honesty, I would let it drop.

Seriously, it sucks that you bore the brunt of it but there's nothing your management can particularly do about it to make you feel any better. From what you've said, it sounds like you're really not very well. Try and shove this idiot out of your mind...easier said than done, but he's not worth the brain space. You need to get better and stressing over his actions won't help you.

This man is wise. The douchebag has already done what he can to you, dwelling on it or hoping that management will do something is just going to stress you out worse. There really isn't anything your management even CAN do. At this point, he can only continue to upset you by your own doing.

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009
Today at the wonderful world of the red bull's eye I had to deal with two ladies who tried to ticket switch $1600 worth of merchandise for $40 and then a guy driving around the parking lot without pants which I got to see using the parking lot camera. Good times

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Thanks for both of your advice. I guess I do need to drop it, it's just one more thing that I'm letting get to me. I have enough to worry about. Chances are I'll never see him again anyway, and even if he comes back in the store he certianly won't come through my line.
I guess I just wanted some sense of justice or maybe to feel like someone up here cared about my well-being but I think that's expecting too much. Oh well.
Thank you though, really.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

silversiren posted:

I guess I just wanted some sense of justice or maybe to feel like someone up here cared about my well-being but I think that's expecting too much. Oh well.

Someone who's unbalanced enough to flip out at a cashier and start calling them stupid is likely living a pretty miserable life already. Justice is most likely being served every time that he gets out of bed and has to face another day.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
Just got fired from my freelancing writing gig because I've not been able to keep up with the work. After getting home from an eight hour popcorn shift, covered in grease and salt and soda syrup, for the last week or so I haven't been able to get myself to do my online work at a proper pace.

So, woke up to that email this morning, and to a face full of zits. If you've ever worked concessions on a busy (and hot) Saturday night, you're probably familiar with the post-popcorn breakout.

:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Sadly, if you went to management with a complaint about the customer, it would just seem to them like you couldn't handle the situation. On the flip side, if that guy would make a complaint to management about you, that person would probably get a gift card. It isn't right, but that's just how corporations are.

\