Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Dual Survival owns. I loved the home made bee keeping suit that worked horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dual Survival has definitely been pretty great lately. I love the salt flats episode, and I've never seen Cody be so uncomfortable as he was in the Wyoming avalanche show.

Pretty sure the actual biologist lady (Renae?) on the Bigfoot team is getting fed up. I feel bad for her. Someone will find something mundane and she'll offer a normal explanation for it, but then the fat rear end in a top hat in charge will completely drown her out her with some insane rambling poo poo about how it's obviously evidence of Bigfoot and can be nothing else.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Hazo posted:

Hahaha these guys have no idea how thermal imaging works. This Bigfoot show is awesome.

Yea for some reason Whale Wars stupidity isn't doing it for me this season. Finding Bigfoot is more then filling the void!

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
So I just discovered Dual Survival a week or 2 ago.

It's a great show but it seems like it's going from a great show about survival and techniques and whatnot to "Hey let's have Dave call Cody a hippie and something about his bare feet again" and "Hey let's have Cody talk about Dave taking too many risks" bullshit conflicts. The tension in the 1st episode was real, but the newer ones the guys know each other and it's obvious that they are being told to create a conflict for some reason.

There's enough drama and conflict without having to manufacture one between the two guys.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The best finding Bigfoot documentary I ever watched featured a toothless hick buying cans of catfood and placing them at random in the forest

His reasoning? Normal animals wouldn't be smart enough to know there was food in the cans and would leave them alone. So if he came back and the cans were gone, then he knew there was a Sasquatch in the area.

I wish I could remember what the show was called since it was god drat hilarious watching this old guy hiding catfood cans in tree stumps like they were easter eggs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did Mythbusters get different insurance or something because these recent myths seem kind of more dangerous than what they're used to.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wartime Consigliere posted:

It's a great show but it seems like it's going from a great show about survival and techniques and whatnot to "Hey let's have Dave call Cody a hippie and something about his bare feet again" and "Hey let's have Cody talk about Dave taking too many risks" bullshit conflicts. The tension in the 1st episode was real, but the newer ones the guys know each other and it's obvious that they are being told to create a conflict for some reason.

There's enough drama and conflict without having to manufacture one between the two guys.

I just binged through about 4 more episodes and I have to agree with you a bit here. It isn't bugging me that much, but they could tone it down a bit. I also wish they wouldn't treat every episode like its a season premiere and explain how Cody is good in dry environments and Dave is good in wet ones.

I gotta say, though, I've never seen so many ways to start a fire or make rope. The people expecting to go on future Survivor shows could probably learn a lot from these shows.

Lots of neat pictures of Cody teaching survival school here. I think it would be cool to do that for a week or two. That guy is so drat laid back.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 23, 2011

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

After the special episode that Mythbusters had a few weeks back, I thought they had realized what a stupid job they were doing on their editing. Nothing was spoiled in the opening montage, nothing was spoiled before the breaks, and there was actual science being used and explained.

Then I saw they reverted back to their old selves these past two episodes.

:sigh:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Asmodai_00 posted:

After the special episode that Mythbusters had a few weeks back, I thought they had realized what a stupid job they were doing on their editing. Nothing was spoiled in the opening montage, nothing was spoiled before the breaks, and there was actual science being used and explained.

Then I saw they reverted back to their old selves these past two episodes.

:sigh:

Have there been episodes these past two weeks? Or at least yesterday? My DVR recorded poo poo. Though I think I know why this might have happened this time.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 23, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ToastyPotato posted:

Have their been episodes these past two weeks? Or at least yesterday? My DVR recorded poo poo. Though I think I know why this might have happened this time.

This week had two really really really boring myths, you didn't miss anything. No episode last week, and a dumb clip show the week before (I think I have the sequence down).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Ok I don't feel so bad now I guess. What were the myths?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

BigHead posted:

This week had two really really really boring myths, you didn't miss anything. No episode last week, and a dumb clip show the week before (I think I have the sequence down).

Huh? The car myth with might have been boring, but Adam and Jamie's light myth was really interesting.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Huh? The car myth with might have been boring, but Adam and Jamie's light myth was really interesting.

It was interesting*, yes.

*For the 5 seconds before they showed how great it worked in the opening montage.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Which is why I don't ever watch the intros. :v: Go make a sandwich in that time or something. I'm not denying that it is absolutely stupid, though.

Oh, and the myths were: Can sunlight reflected on mirrors light up an underground tomb (like in Mummy) and can you stop an out-of-control car by overtaking it and slowly braking (of course you can. The test with the pedal held down was at least a bit more interesting. And then they had to go and make up their own stupid methods of stopping cars with cars because they needed more footage)

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 23, 2011

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Have there been episodes these past two weeks? Or at least yesterday? My DVR recorded poo poo. Though I think I know why this might have happened this time.

6/1 was the good episode, and there was nothing new since.

Amppelix posted:

Which is why I don't ever watch the intros. :v: Go make a sandwich in that time or something. I'm not denying that it is absolutely stupid, though.

But then how can I :argh:RAGE:argh: on the internet?!

Serious answer: The commercial cut previews aren't much better sometimes.

quote:

Oh, and the myths were: Can sunlight reflected on mirrors light up an underground tomb (like in Mummy) and can you stop an out-of-control car by overtaking it and slowly braking (of course you can. The test with the pedal held down was at least a bit more interesting. And then they had to go and make up their own stupid methods of stopping cars with cars because they needed more footage)

COMING UP, ON MYTHBUSTERS, CAN YOU STOP AN OUT OF CONTROL CAR WITH THE DRIVER'S FOOT OFF OF THE GAS PEDAL

*cut to shot of car coming to a stop*

As much as I bitch about this show, at least its fun to do so and honestly an entertaining show at times. :allears:

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Asmodai_00 posted:

COMING UP, ON MYTHBUSTERS, CAN YOU STOP AN OUT OF CONTROL CAR WITH THE DRIVER'S FOOT OFF OF THE GAS PEDAL

*cut to shot of car coming to a stop*

I haven't seen the show in a while, but don't they do that with shots of them "replicating the results" of the myth just as often?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This episode was kind of boring, though it was interesting to see light (once) and the car harpooning. However, there's one tiny thing that's bugging the hell out of me. What's the sound effect that plays when they highlight the lux level in the "let there be light benchmark" table? I think I've heard it about a million times in some game before, but I just can't place it exactly. Or am I just hallucinating?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just saw a commercial for the season premier of Man vs Wild and for some reason the first episode is going to have Jake Gyllenhaal guest star, as in he's going to be out there "surviving" too.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:frogsiren: Mythbusters Season Finale :frogsiren:

Myths posted:

How to avoid injuries from shock waves in the water.

Does armor made of paper compare to steel armor?

Predictions:

They've already tested the shockwave/unterwater myth before. This means they are going to expand upon the last test, which means I predict they will show clips from the last test no less than four times.

Paper armor will be surprisingly effective against some things, but durability over time will be its downfall. This will be busted within the first two minutes of the mtyh and the rest of the episode will be testing the effectiveness of the armor regardless.

One myth will be definitively busted in the opening montage.

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 30, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

Just saw a commercial for the season premier of Man vs Wild and for some reason the first episode is going to have Jake Gyllenhaal guest star, as in he's going to be out there "surviving" too.

He had loving Will Farrel on a season or two ago. It was painful.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

My predictions seem to be going badly, but its all good.

When Grant was doing the sprinting test screaming like an idiot, all I could think of was "LET ME SEE YOUR WAR FACE" from Full Metal Jacket.

Edit: Great idea, stage a test of the PAPER ARMOR over a bed of water.

Also, I'm looking forward to the start of the following shows next month:

Sons of Guns
Man vs Wild
Surviving the Cut
Super Soldier (I think) - One Man Army

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 30, 2011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, idiots, maybe it wasn't a good idea to have one of your tests have a chance to get your only set of paper armor wet?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Hey guys, did you know that steel armor is heavier than paper armor? Thank god for these tests.

Edit:

Those shoulderpads on the paper armor remind me of a Space Marine.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

muscles like this? posted:

Hey, idiots, maybe it wasn't a good idea to have one of your tests have a chance to get your only set of paper armor wet?

As dumb as that was, it really had no effect on the paper armor whatsoever. Even when it was raining directly on the paper while they were testing it, it held up well.

I'm not really sure if I was surprised or not by how well the paper armor performed. Once I found out that it wasn't "paper" paper, but rather really thick and fibrous paper folded into thick squares, I pretty much expected it to work. The paper looked like it had a lot of tensile strength and plus it was flexible enough to absorb most blows (except modern bullets). But the idea that paper could function as armor is still pretty cool.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What is this One Man Army show? Myke Hawke is hosting it, does that mean no more Man Woman Wild ?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tewratomeh posted:

As dumb as that was, it really had no effect on the paper armor whatsoever. Even when it was raining directly on the paper while they were testing it, it held up well.

I'm not really sure if I was surprised or not by how well the paper armor performed. Once I found out that it wasn't "paper" paper, but rather really thick and fibrous paper folded into thick squares, I pretty much expected it to work. The paper looked like it had a lot of tensile strength and plus it was flexible enough to absorb most blows (except modern bullets). But the idea that paper could function as armor is still pretty cool.

They could have just taped phone books to themselves for the same effect at a hell of a lot less effort - like when they taped phone books over a car to make it bulletproof.

That said, I don't really have too many complaints to make about this latest episode. It was a pretty standard Mythbusters. Nothing to stand out too much either way.

Sorta sad that the biggest compliment I can give the show now is that it didn't suck too badly :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tewratomeh posted:

They should have confirmed it. It lived up to every historical report they found, and the only problem it had was that they thought it might eventually give out if they kept banging on it, which they didn't do.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Wartime Consigliere posted:

Somebody earlier in this thread said that the conflict between Dave and Cody was the best part about the show and I wanted to throttle him. The only thing that keeps Dual Survival from being terrible reality-trash is that it's obvious Dave and Cody actually get along well and you can just laugh at the horrendously fake "arguments" they get in to. When they're not fake-arguing or dealing with whatever dumb scripted poo poo the producers throw at them, the show can be almost as interesting as Survivorman or Man vs. Wild were back in the day. You know, back when the Discovery Channel wasn't filled with lovely, cheap-rear end shows created by the same three production companies. :(

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I normally don't like the Dave/Cody conflict thing, but I thought it was pretty funny in last week's episode in Kentucky. First Dave accidentally traps a skunk, blocks the skunk's spray with his hat while he un-snares it, and then proceeds to put the hat back on his head and wear it the rest of the show. Then he finds some random moonshiner's plastic tarp in the middle of the woods and convinces Cody to build a boat out of it with duct tape, which then sinks 30 seconds after they get in it, dumping them right back into the freezing river.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I actually get worried when Cody and Dave argue. At most I want to see them bicker good-naturedly, but Discovery Channel's manufactured drama is terrible because it's like seeing mommy and daddy fight, nooooo! :( Obviously Cody is the mom and Dave is the dad.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I like when Dave and Cody are in situations inside the U.S. instead of Antarctica or a jungle somewhere because I will never go to those places. I'd prefer more Midwestern areas like the Kentucky one too but maybe it's not interesting enough without weird insects and hippos.

http://codylundin.com/ has some cool stuff.

Cody's opinion on Survival TV which probably pisses some Discovery Channel people is an interesting read because it sounds honest.

quote:

Survival on TV
By Cody Lundin

I thought long and hard before writing the contents of this page as I knew it would piss some people off. In the end, my obligation as a survival instructor is to tell it as I see it, consequences be damned.

Another reason I chose to put this in writing is the onslaught of people asking me what I think about the survival shows on television. Instead of spouting out another one liner, or taking time, (again) to explain the details of the situation, I’m putting my opinion down here for all to read and accept or reject as they see fit.

Here are some important points to consider, as it’s in them that I’ve based my opinion. First, realize that I don’t watch TV. I consider the lion’s share of programming to be a waste of time. Second, I have participated in a lot of television over the years both on and off camera. I know what producers want and how the game works. Third, I am intimately acquainted with the realities of survival skills based upon years of “doing it” in the field with and without students. Thus, due to my level of experience, it’s not difficult for me to figure out if “something survival” is faked or embellished on TV – and I myself have done the faking on more than one occasion.

While trapped in my hotel room in Portland, Oregon in October of 2007 as part of my book tour for When All Hell Breaks Loose, I caught parts of two major survival programs on cable television. Unfortunately for one of the hosts, the show I watched was filmed in Arizona’s Sonoran desert. I lasted 10 minutes before I changed the channel due to inaccuracies and poor desert survival priorities. For the other popular show, I lasted even less time as the programming was simply dangerous to the viewer if taken seriously. The point of this page is not to critique other people’s television shows. It is to enlighten you as to how the game works regarding programming on TV.

First, ratings rule on television as its all about the money. If a show does not draw enough viewers to support the dollars spent in advertising during the program, the show or “pilot” (test show to see if there is enough viewer interest to make a series) will be cancelled. Now-a-days, to achieve ratings, almost anything goes. Notice how radical many nature shows have become. In the 1960s, Jacques Cousteau, host of The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, would never have dreamed of interfering with wildlife the way today’s animal program hosts are expected to do. (His son said as much in an interview after Steve Irwin’s death) In the past, television shows about wildlife featured the wildlife itself as the star, and the human host was all but irrelevant.

This thirst for ratings colors everything, and truth and reason go out the window when people stand to make a lot of money. It is expected that the television host and the production company will bend the rules to allow whatever network executives want to appear on TV. If the host doesn’t prostitute themselves out to the network and deliver the right product, there is a line of people more than willing to do so. I myself have been asked to do incredibly dumb things by network executives such as purposely fall into cold water and get hypothermic in the name of “drama.”

Second, big city producers and the networks themselves haven’t a clue about what real wilderness survival skills entail, and the proof is in their over-the-top yet shallow programming. Real survival can be boring, which is unacceptable for TV. How visually interesting is it to watch someone die from hypothermia, the most common way to die in a real survival situation? Also, there is no quality control for programming other than if “Joe viewer” will watch it, and needless to say, a gullible general public is just as clueless about survival skills as the networks. For some reason, if a program appears on television, people assume it to be factually correct and well researched; and at times nothing could be further from the truth.

Thirdly, depending on the show, the illusion of television and the big screen is largely that. Once the initial filming has been accomplished in the field, there is nothing that can’t be faked or tweaked to a producers liking in the edit bay back at the production company. No one is willing to risk an entire operating budget to film in Africa and not get what they came for, one way or another. Again, money is the name of the game. In my “eat a rat” video, a production company hired a film crew for specific reasons to film me. It was known before hand that the intention of the shoot was for me to kill and eat a packrat. As the film crew was being paid and on site for only a day, I had to kill the rat the day before. I placed the long dead rat under the deadfall rock minutes before we shot the scene. It appears that the deadfall trap was tripped and killed the rat…which was the point. Again, almost anything can be done in the edit room with the right footage.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I guess it makes sense why Cody was saying things like, "Hey we probably shouldn't repel down this sheer cliff-face for no reason." or "Hey you probably shouldn't kill an alligator with you bare hands." in the first few episodes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'd like to hear what he thought of Survivorman specifically.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

Me too, since I think that show is one of the most "real" survival shows on TV.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

haveblue posted:

At a guess, I think he's referring to Survivorman's Sonoran desert episode here:

quote:

Unfortunately for one of the hosts, the show I watched was filmed in Arizona’s Sonoran desert. I lasted 10 minutes before I changed the channel due to inaccuracies and poor desert survival priorities.

Of course, that's nothing compared to the :iceburn: directed at what I'm guessing is Man vs. Wild:

quote:

For the other popular show, I lasted even less time as the programming was simply dangerous to the viewer if taken seriously.

I appreciate that in the article linked & quoted, Cody at least admits flat-out that segments of survival-type shows (including Dual Survival) are often faked, set up in advance, and/or crafted in post-production. Nothing we didn't know already, of course, but it's still nice to hear someone be honest about it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've jumped into Mythbusters pretty late. Now I'm seeing way old episodes, and I like Kari, Tory and Grant way more in these. These days, they're trying so drat hard to be edgy and excited, it's pretty painful.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'd really like to know what Cody thinks of Ray Mears stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've jumped into Mythbusters pretty late. Now I'm seeing way old episodes, and I like Kari, Tory and Grant way more in these. These days, they're trying so drat hard to be edgy and excited, it's pretty painful.

I recently started working through each episode on Netflix again, and I get a laugh out of every time they say "this is the biggest X we've ever done on Mythbusters" because I know what's coming later on :q:

Also I'm just watching this Impersonation Mythbusters for the first time and god drat fake Jamie/Adam are creepy as gently caress.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I just saw a few episodes of Man Vs. Wild for the first time and it's basically The"Watch Bear Grylls do crazy poo poo that no one else should do in a survival situation, ever," show.

Dual Survival is just so much better, even with the fake drama added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Why is Jake Gyllenhall on Man vs Wild?

He just ate a worm

• Locked thread