Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

happynoodle posted:

http://www.backloggery.com/onorai

Well i have 75 games on my steam backlog, and a few console games as well. Naturally i got zelda's twilight princess for the wii as my first forture cookie. But i got Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast as my first steam game to work on!

But should i work on Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith first, or should i do as the fortune cookie commands?

Do like I did. It suggested Jedi Academy, the last in the series so I played all the games from 1995 to Academy (2003?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lurchibles posted:

You'd be surprised, it just drags on and On and ON and feels like it never ends EVER! :bang:

If you think that's an overly long game, just wait for Brotherhood. It doesn't know when to call it a day...

Brotherhood's actual story is really short tbh; it's the sidestuff that takes ages.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Brotherhood's actual story is really short tbh; it's the sidestuff that takes ages.
This is true, but I cannot wait for Revelations.

On another note, Hitman Blood Money on Pro is a harsh mistress. Did Curtains Down like 12 times before I was able to beat it, and I STILL got professional. One witness, which I call bullshit.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I just completed Bioshock 2. Played it on Hard so I could get the relevant achievement and get that beautiful golden C.

But it's really really bothering me that I still have 100 unfinished games. So, I'm going to call on the expertise of everyone here, especially those who's played or beaten dozens of games. :siren:I'd like someone to help me pick out what game I should play/finish.:siren: Preferably, one that I've already made progress in.

Here's all the unbeaten games in my backlog, and each game has a relevant progress note on whether I've beaten it or not. Alternatively, if you're lazy/want to leave it to luck, here's a link to my fortune cookie. Although, whatever you'd get, I'd like a small reason as to why I should play/beat it. Ex: "Oh, you're not far from done/this game's short/this game sucks just get it out of the way, etc".

I know I've got a few games on my Now Playing list but I spent a majority of the past few weeks playing Bioshock 2 and Child of Eden, so I'm a bit off on PC gaming for right now, but plan to get back into it.

Note: Also, I don't have a huge swarm of X360 games that I need to beat. Should I add the unfinished ones, anyway? After all, the problem is all these delicious Steam sales...

Edit: I had gotten up to the strider defense, but then I had to reinstall steam (when the orange box was the only game in my account), and I lost my progress :(

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 23, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I'd get HL2 Episode Two out of the way. You're at the Strider defense part so you're 99% done with the game. I know you said you don't like it, but I'd just get it over with it so you can slap that B on there.

Other suggestions

Max Payne is the usual action game length, I think I got it beat in around 10 hours maybe?

And Monkey Island is an adventure game so you'll beat in it 7 hours tops.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Morter posted:

Here's all the unbeaten games in my backlog, and each game has a relevant progress note on whether I've beaten it or not. Alternatively, if you're lazy/want to leave it to luck, here's a link to my fortune cookie. Although, whatever you'd get, I'd like a small reason as to why I should play/beat it. Ex: "Oh, you're not far from done/this game's short/this game sucks just get it out of the way, etc".

World of Goo is ideal for you. You said you never really cared about it, but it's probably the easiest to fully complete. It should take 15 hours at the most to complete, less just to beat. It's a game you should probably play while playing other games since it is just an indie game.

You have no notes on GTA III, it's the easiest of the PS2 era GTA's to complete. If you do go for it, get the Ambulance missions done ASAP because once every gang hates you, it becomes an uphill struggle since it can't be repaired.

If you're on Vista/7 you could install Freedom Force and see if you can play the first mission. It was really buggy for me in 7 so it could moved to "null" for me.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I completed Tattooine and now am on Manaan in Knights of the Old Republic. My goal is to finish this game in the next ~20 hours of play time, which seems like a lot but I seem to be averaging 4 hours or so per planet, and iirc I have Manaan, Koribaan, secret planet, then the final showdown.

After I finish this game I think I might pick up a shorter game and try my hand at either Bioshock or Assassin's Creed. Are either of those games quicker to beat than KotoR? I'm enjoying KotoR, but I feel like I'm not making progress on my backlog. I know there was another goon in here playing KotoR, how far are you in it?

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I was bad and bought a couple more games that were on sale on GOG.

I've started Descent, though; I had played a demo of it (or one of the sequels) years and years ago, and remembered enjoying it, though it kicked my butt. I'm a couple of levels in now, and I'm loving it. Still disorienting as hell, but the 3-dimensional movement is fun, and I'm finally getting good use out of the joystick I bought a couple months ago.

I've also been playing FarCry every now and then. I don't usually like stealth games, but I'm enjoying this. Still, I can't play for very long before I get frustrated and have to stop playing it for a while.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Eh! Frank posted:

I've also been playing FarCry every now and then. I don't usually like stealth games, but I'm enjoying this. Still, I can't play for very long before I get frustrated and have to stop playing it for a while.

FarCry was a fantastic game, and I also still regularly re-visit it. It wasn't so much a "stealth" game, but with the difficulty ramped up it was definitely a game of strategy. Great game...

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Trying to get Silent Assassin in Blood Money is so loving infuriating sometimes. 20 tries and I end up with Professional. :cry:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am almost done on Manaan. I think this has been my least favorite planet so far in KotoR.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Let's see, off of Morter's Unbeaten list...
  • I love Aquaria, but you haven't gotten to the parts where you'd even know if you'd like it yet. Worth a shot.
  • Blueberry Garden is kinda pointless, you can "beat" it fairly quickly IIRC.
  • Chime is fast - it's the fastest game with a reasonable win condition (clear/unlock all modes) on your list.
  • Bob Came In Pieces is clever and fast.
  • Deus Ex is frickin' awesome, also long. Invisible War shouldn't crash, though zoning looks like crashing, but you're better served beating DX first.
  • Machinarium: Short. poo poo. Never hesitate to use the "hint" - "hint" is code for "I'm sorry, what the gently caress is my goal here?" Gets worse as it progresses.
  • QuantZ is my favorite Match-3 game in the history of ever, but it doesn't have a good win condition. I called it "Beaten" once I completely finished one of its modes.
  • Secret of Monkey Island. There's a reason we all obsess about it.
  • Shatter: Only 10 levels; you should be able to beat story mode in an afternoon.
  • World of Goo: Gets better about halfway through chapter 2. Chapter 1 is the weakest.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I should be done with STALKER SoC tomorrow, with my day off. I did all of Brain Scorcher and it was the best challenge I had in a long time. Finally, an area that might as well constantly fill you with radiation and the endless Monolith squads finally drained me of most of my 100+ bandages and a handful of kits. I hope the Pripyat section also forces me to constantly use up items. It will be tough since I somehow lost my Exosuit in a glitch and I can't select my grenades.

edit: Goddamn. Pripyat also forces me to suck up my items and reload saves constantly. The entire Ukrainian army with raining death, another 30 Monolith in tiny areas of radiation zones. I want the real ending, not barely surviving while melting and making a death wish with Satan.
Game will be finished when I find another random rad shot, not dying, and an alternate path. Deus Ex will be next.

Grenade issue is solved by having both types.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 28, 2011

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

ManxomeBromide posted:

Let's see, off of Morter's Unbeaten list...
:eng101:

Whoa, thanks for the list, man! I probably can't finish most of those as quick as you say (Shatter, for example, really drains me, so I can only do like one or two worlds at a time...which I could've finished by now but, backlooog :v:), but I'll get working on these as soon as I can muster up the want to do it. I've been latched to the 360 lately. But again, thanks! :toot:

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Resist the tempation, brothers. Add 0.0.0.0 store.steampowered.com on your hosts file. Be strong.

I really really want to fight the temptation. But there's so many good games!...

Out of my entire steam list, the only games I paid full price for are HL2 and L4D2. I can't resist the sales! :worship:

Entire DOOM series for like $10!?!? gently caress YEAH!

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Scalding Coffee posted:

I should be done with STALKER SoC tomorrow, with my day off. I did all of Brain Scorcher and it was the best challenge I had in a long time. Finally, an area that might as well constantly fill you with radiation and the endless Monolith squads finally drained me of most of my 100+ bandages and a handful of kits. I hope the Pripyat section also forces me to constantly use up items. It will be tough since I somehow lost my Exosuit in a glitch and I can't select my grenades.

The CNPP is a big drain on resources, and even with my modded carry capacity and three different guns (with different ammo types), I was even running low on ammo, never mind restoratives.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I'm a dumb motherfucker. Bob Came In Pieces and Braid are kicking my rear end. I'm so dumb I can't figure out how to do most of the puzzles. I was doing somewhat okay until I reached World 4 I think. Where time is frozen unless you move yourself. Monsters always time themselves to be on top of the ladder when I need to go up... I somehow started on World 3 in the little house.. can't find the previous worlds?

I guess I'm functionally retarded and I didn't know it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I really see what you guys mean about Assassin's Creed II overstaying its welcome. 28 hours in and it's still going. When will it end? The last three major assassinations I have really had no idea how they were connected to the story now I'm saving some kids for some lady? :wtc:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
HAHAHAHA

Oh man, so I'm trying to do a Master run of Blood Money only accepting Silent Assassin ranks on Pro. I've attempted 'Death on the Mississippi' so many times, I finally said gently caress IT and went on a killing spree, killing ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that moved. It feels good letting your inner psychopath sometimes.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

I really see what you guys mean about Assassin's Creed II overstaying its welcome. 28 hours in and it's still going. When will it end? The last three major assassinations I have really had no idea how they were connected to the story now I'm saving some kids for some lady? :wtc:

That's one of the two DLC sequences. There's one more after this one (set in Florence), and after that you're off to Rome. The finale itself can be completed in less than an hour, but the second DLC sequence is quite long from what I recall. I'd say two or three more hours in total.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Started Divinity 2 DKS today. Really pretty cool, mindreading is nifty and the hints are making me think that really cool stuff is coming later.

e: Finished MOH: Airborne. The last level was really cool, even if the game abandoned all pretense of realism when guys with gas masks carrying around MG42s showed up. Definitely a good deal for 2.50.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 28, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

From Earth posted:

That's one of the two DLC sequences. There's one more after this one (set in Florence), and after that you're off to Rome. The finale itself can be completed in less than an hour, but the second DLC sequence is quite long from what I recall. I'd say two or three more hours in total.

Well it's all done. Pretty good overall except for being too long, repetitive, having a cheesy story, consolitis, non-skip able cut scenes and really weird stealth mechanics. Took me 34 hours according to Steam but 2-3 of those were wasted with the save bug.

Also :wtc: was that ending?

Also funny that magnetic pole changes actually do occur throughout earth history, they aren't pseudo-science like that jackass guy says they are.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 28, 2011

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Finished Fallout: New Vegas.

Immediately after, started Fallout: New Vegas.
Yup, that's gonna take me a while.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
With Assassin's Creed II done I'm going to clear out some of the Indie stuff I have. First up: The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom.

Hope it's not too long.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

P.B. is a 7h or so game if you are bad at it like me, chapter 3 really didn't work for me puzzlewise but push through it.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Luisfe posted:

Finished Fallout: New Vegas.

Immediately after, started Fallout: New Vegas.
Yup, that's gonna take me a while.

Be sure to do some modding on your second time through. Stuff like "realistic headshots" and being able to bottle water (for "hardcore" mode) makes ALL the difference :D

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet
Heh--cool thread on Reddit that might explain our problem:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ial49/gaming_in_adulthood/

Thread is called "Gaming in adultood" and this is the image in the OP:

http://i.imgur.com/wUrSl.jpg

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Lurchibles posted:

Be sure to do some modding on your second time through. Stuff like "realistic headshots" and being able to bottle water (for "hardcore" mode) makes ALL the difference :D

Yeah. And the Monster Mod for extra critters (some of the importedeSTALKER models are quite creepy).
And then A World of Pain and the Monster Mod addon for that
and the armory and and and and
Yeah. Mods. TOO MANY OF THEM. Too bad Poco Bueno and the classic weapons pack made it crash :(

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am still working on KotoR...I just got the big twist where I find out I'm Darth Revan and now I'm on Koribaan. I am pretty sure I've got to be close to the end of this game. I think for my next game I am going to do something shorter, and not jump into another RPG like Divinity 2: DKS. I want some shorter games to burn through to look/feel like I'm improving my backlog.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I'm 10 or so levels in to Descent (on the secret level, specifically), which is about a third of the way through, unless I'm mistaken. I'm still loving it, but it's starting to kick my butt (especially the drones with tracking missiles, gently caress those guys). Does it just keep getting more and more difficult as the game goes on? I'm on the easiest setting too.

Then again, I keep forgetting that when you get destroyed, the level doesn't reset if you still have extra lives, and you can loot your wreckage. Instead, I get frustrated and load a saved game instead of continuing on. I currently have something like 6 or 7 lives, but I'm paranoid that I'll need them all later.

Regardless, I'll probably plow through 2 and 3 once I'm done with the first game, since I'm having a blast with it, and it'll feel good to have three games out of the way.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Gunning for Bioshock 1's Brass Balls achievement, and I have to ask: How long until Bioshock's Hard Mode stops being annoying? I recently played through BS2's Hard Mode with nary a problem except for the first Big Sister fight. After that, all of the battles, while a bit tougher, were otherwise smooth sailing.

I'm playing this game and I'm running out of eve constantly, the 1-2 punch doesn't kill LEADHEAD splicers, and now I'm short on cash, on top of everything else. I beat BS1 twice already and with never a problem even with its rough start.

Edit: Never mind, I just glitched it. I might do it legit one day, :effort: but I really had to stop juggling myself between Bioshock games. Before you know it I'd sooner convince myself to get the Protector Trials than switch to a different game.

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 29, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
BS1 is way, way harder than BS2 and the enemies are frankly really brutal and unforgiving. Combine that with respawning baddies and limited health/ammo/money and you've got a challenging situation. As someone who's beaten many a Call of Duty on Elite or whatever the hardest is I couldn't make any kind of headway into BS1 on Hard.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did they mess with Big Daddy farming, on Hard?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm not quite sure what you mean by Big Daddy farming. As far as I can tell Hard in the original BioShock just made enemies take longer to kill and they can kill you way, way faster.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Luisfe posted:

Yeah. Mods. TOO MANY OF THEM. Too bad Poco Bueno and the classic weapons pack made it crash :(

I've personally found a happy balance where the game will run for a good few hours before crashing out because of all the mods. It's fantastic - because it gives me a few moments off the game and I can tear myself away :D

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I need this thread, real bad. I complete a game about every three or four years, and it's a big joke with all my friends. "Oh ha ha, Problem Sleuth, you never complete a single loving game, EVER!" And yet I can't stop buying games. Games I'll never play. Games I'll never download. gently caress, I have 70 or so steam games, and I play about 2 or 3 every month (The same ones, mind you.).

I'm signing up for BackLoggery as we speak. Hopefully I'm not a lost cause.

edit: What the gently caress is the difference between Beaten and Completed? Aren't those synonyms?

Problem Sleuth fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 30, 2011

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Problem Sleuth posted:

I'm signing up for BackLoggery as we speak. Hopefully I'm not a lost cause.

edit: What the gently caress is the difference between Beaten and Completed? Aren't those synonyms?

To put it simply:

"Beating" the game is having beaten the final boss and/or reached the credits. For example: In Batman: Arkham Asylum, beating the final boss.

"Completing" a game is doing as much as you can with this game. 100%ing, hardest difficulty, all achievements or in-game unlockables. Using the Batman: AA example: All riddles, all secrets found, all challenges beaten, etc etc.

Basically completing a game is 100%ing it (although, it obviously varies), and beating a game is just getting to the end of the story/campaign.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Morter posted:

To put it simply:

"Beating" the game is having beaten the final boss and/or reached the credits. For example: In Batman: Arkham Asylum, beating the final boss.

"Completing" a game is doing as much as you can with this game. 100%ing, hardest difficulty, all achievements or in-game unlockables. Using the Batman: AA example: All riddles, all secrets found, all challenges beaten, etc etc.

Basically completing a game is 100%ing it (although, it obviously varies), and beating a game is just getting to the end of the story/campaign.

That means I've never completed a game in my entire life. :(

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
I managed to play through Quantum of Solace and Kane & Lynch this week, along with a few more matches of MtG2012.

QoS was pretty fun, K&L less so, and it was buggy to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Problem Sleuth posted:

That means I've never completed a game in my entire life. :(

A lot of people like me don't care about these things. I play a game, maybe I will beat it... If I do it's money well spent. I had fun, most likely it was on sale on Steam so it was cheap... You get your money's worth that way!