Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

snKestren posted:

I think the Spiderman app was just a coincidence.

I found another guy online who had the same exact problem with his phone just suddenly dying. Completely bricked. LED light doesn't even turn on when I plug it in. Hopefully it was probably just a bad phone and not indicative of anything.

Phone support was able to "confirm my Premiere account," however, and set up an appointment for a store to look it. I made it this far with WM6.5, another five hours won't kill me.

I had my phone completely shut off randomly, getting it back required taking out the battery, and then holding the power button for extra long to turn it on. I was deleting an app I downloaded, so it was pretty random. Haven't had any more problems, and was able to go back and remove the app I was trying to remove when it died.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Very cool, just got mine delivered from UPS.

One of the first things I noticed is that there is a metal ring around the two cameras that actually keeps the lens off the desk when you set it down. I was worried about scratching those since they're apparently not gorilla glass.

It feels very sturdy and very well made. It also turns out you cannot active a phone over the airave. I had to unplug it and walk a mile down the road to get signal and activate it

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

But if you wipe the phone are't you really just rolling back the update?

A hard reset won't roll back any OTA updates like that. I wouldn't jump to say hard reset at every little problem, but I would imagine it's not a big deal for most people after having the phone for only one day.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

poxin posted:

One of the first things I noticed is that there is a metal ring around the two cameras that actually keeps the lens off the desk when you set it down. I was worried about scratching those since they're apparently not gorilla glass.

They're not only simple plastic, they're also not the lenses.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I don't have one so I don't care all that much, but since I hadn't seen any mention of it in all the chatter, I decided to pop into XDA and see how rooting was coming along on the E3D. I saw that it did, in fact, ship with a locked bootloader, as many people figured would happen. I guess there's still a chance that HTC will unlock it down the road, but there's no telling when.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

big mean giraffe posted:

They're not only simple plastic, they're also not the lenses.

They're not the lenses but picture quality will really suffer if you scratch or scuff them. One of the main reasons I'm getting a case is to make sure the camera housing is recessed and won't make contact with a table or desk or whatever.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
So, short and sweet.
How do I get a free airrave? I've contacted sprint a couple times in the past regarding terrible service in my basement apartment. They keep telling me to flash a new prl and seem to know nothing about free airraves.

Which department should I contact and do they still do this?

Edit: my new evo 3d makes the service just barley bad enough that I drop most calls now.

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 23, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Zosologist posted:

So, short and sweet.
How do I get a free airrave? I've contacted sprint a couple times in the past regarding terrible service in my basement apartment. They keep telling me to flash a new prl and seem to know nothing about free airraves.

Retentions.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Retentions.

Is this something I can do via email or should i call?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Zosologist posted:

Is this something I can do via email or should i call?

You call and say "I love Sprint but I have terrible coverage in my house, which is where i'd primarily like to use the phone. Unfortunately, because of my need to use the phone around the house, I may need to cancel my plan and switch to another carrier with better coverage in my area."

Then they comp you an airrave and you go about your business.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Is it going to be possible to get an EVO 3D tomorrow if I haven't preordered one?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Zosologist posted:

So, short and sweet.

Edit: my new evo 3d makes the service just barley bad enough that I drop most calls now.

email sprint cares, they hooked me right the gently caress up.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

Strontosaurus posted:

Is it going to be possible to get an EVO 3D tomorrow if I haven't preordered one?

Probably. This phone really wasn't as hyped as the EVO4G was. I'd just get it early in the day. The sprint stores open at 8am tomorrow.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Just got off the phone with sprint, and not only did they comp the air rave, but my "primary line is now elligible for an upgrade every year".

Its that basicly premiere gold?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
For some reason, voicemails aren't working correctly. Instead, I get a text message, with a number to call, that asks me to confirm that my phone is capable of receiving voice messages (obviously, it is). Any reason why its' not defaulting to visual voicemail?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a shameful boehner posted:

For some reason, voicemails aren't working correctly. Instead, I get a text message, with a number to call, that asks me to confirm that my phone is capable of receiving voice messages (obviously, it is). Any reason why its' not defaulting to visual voicemail?

No clue. However, a while back I got Youmail, which basically replaces your voicemail. Now everyone in my family has their own "Hey you've called my phone but I'm not here" message. I recall it being pretty simple to set up, but that was shortly after the first time I flashed a ROM on my Epic.

Speaking of that piece of poo poo, there was a guy in this thread that asked if I could send him my Epic instead of hucking it into the river. Unfortunately, I somehow managed to possibly convince my mother to move her 5-line family plan to Sprint, and offered her my Epic if she moved. She currently has an EnV Touch from Verizon. I think that's one of the only ways you could see the Epic as a step up.

e: \/\/ It doesn't seem to be terribly bad, though I admit I did use it due to the fact that the ROM I flashed had no visual voicemail capability. It was a sort of "Best of all options" thing before the advent of Google Voice. I'm strongly considering getting GV, even though I don't need to port my number over or anything - basically I would just be using it for the voicemail and I guess data calls.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 23, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

The Entire Universe posted:

No clue. However, a while back I got Youmail, which basically replaces your voicemail. Now everyone in my family has their own "Hey you've called my phone but I'm not here" message. I recall it being pretty simple to set up, but that was shortly after the first time I flashed a ROM on my Epic.

Speaking of that piece of poo poo, there was a guy in this thread that asked if I could send him my Epic instead of hucking it into the river. Unfortunately, I somehow managed to possibly convince my mother to move her 5-line family plan to Sprint, and offered her my Epic if she moved. She currently has an EnV Touch from Verizon. I think that's one of the only ways you could see the Epic as a step up.

I hated youmail when I had my blackberry, it was just awful. Why not use Google Voice? It's easy to set up and uses push and is free visual voicemail. Easy to integrate with Android too.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Having never done anything like this before, is my local Sprint retail store at all likely to sell me my in-stock, pre-ordered phone today instead of tomorrow, its launch date if I ask nicely?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
It's worth a shot. The might since people ordering online are getting it already, but they also might be too scared to violate the official street date since someone got fired out of a store in Florida for leaking sales data last year.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Sometime in the past couple of days I've started receiving text messages with annoying "0001/0002" prefixes when they're split up. It used to just display them as is, so if a message split occurred in the middle of a word, the second message would just start there.

I haven't changed any settings on my phone, that I'm aware of (EVO 4G, CM7) and I've now had this happen with two different people with different model phones sending me messages. Where the hell is this coming from? Is this something Sprint is doing somehow?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Anyone looking to pick up a evo 4g? Selling one in SAMart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420881

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

brc64 posted:

Sometime in the past couple of days I've started receiving text messages with annoying "0001/0002" prefixes when they're split up. It used to just display them as is, so if a message split occurred in the middle of a word, the second message would just start there.

I haven't changed any settings on my phone, that I'm aware of (EVO 4G, CM7) and I've now had this happen with two different people with different model phones sending me messages. Where the hell is this coming from? Is this something Sprint is doing somehow?
Has to be, I just went from a Pre to a Evo3d and the same exact behavior is happening on both phones when other people text.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Went in to order my 3d today, 2 interesting things: Apparently I have to wait until tuesday because non-personal activations aren't happening until tomorrow, and also that the signal booster costs 10 bucks a month to use. I thought it was free?

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

mastershakeman posted:

Has to be, I just went from a Pre to a Evo3d and the same exact behavior is happening on both phones when other people text.
I'm still on a Pre and had this happen to me without changing anything. I'm also using Google Voice integration.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

change my name posted:

Went in to order my 3d today, 2 interesting things: Apparently I have to wait until tuesday because non-personal activations aren't happening until tomorrow, and also that the signal booster costs 10 bucks a month to use. I thought it was free?

The Airave is supposed to be about $5/month, but they put a credit of $5/month on the phone, making it's cost $0.00. You may just need to call and get another operator and say how you have horrible signal where you are at.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

uapyro posted:

The Airave is supposed to be about $5/month, but they put a credit of $5/month on the phone, making it's cost $0.00. You may just need to call and get another operator and say how you have horrible signal where you are at.

I can't, it's through the school office and apparently they supersede sprint if you sign a contract with them. Oh well, I guess I just won't hang out in the spots that cut off my service.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

Having never done anything like this before, is my local Sprint retail store at all likely to sell me my in-stock, pre-ordered phone today instead of tomorrow, its launch date if I ask nicely?

If your local Sprint retailer likes not getting commissions they might. Sprint made a lot of threats on selling before launch, its a no no.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

brc64 posted:

I've started getting that recently and I'm not using Google Voice. Must be a Sprint thing.

ease posted:

Anyone looking to pick up a evo 4g? Selling one in SAMart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420881

You might try posting in this thread.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 24, 2011

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Oh god its so fast. Just using the Google reader web app is super fast.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
God I hate the sprint stores in my area, over the phone they told me that due to me having a SERO plan I had to go to a corporate store to buy the 3D. So I called both corporate stores and one outright refused and said that they cant sell it to me, and the second one I got both a positive and a negative answer, but its really far to drive to being unsure I will even be able to buy one.

I really dont want to have to wait until Monday for my phone to be shipped to me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

averox posted:

Oh god its so fast. Just using the Google reader web app is super fast.

Check out how smooth it is while handling flash content.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I hope you all get some new form of hand cancer.

I may be slightly jealous.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

If your local Sprint retailer likes not getting commissions they might. Sprint made a lot of threats on selling before launch, its a no no.

Yeah they just called to set up an appointment and I asked, no dice. Eh, worth a shot.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Seriously, it's absolutely ridiculous how smooth flash runs.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
This is the temporary "OMG I just got an Evo 3D thread" through Sunday so the regular Android threads aren't completely derailed. After Sunday take the Android chat to the appropriate thread.

Don't neglect the non-3D questions either, this is still the Sprint thread.

But still no low-content posts (i.e. tracking info).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
The pre-release OTA will update your hboot among other things. This could drastically reduce your chances of rooting when/if root is found for the original hboot. It's very easy to update but possibly impossible to roll back.

That's all assuming HTC doesn't make good on unlocking the bootloader, in which case it doesn't matter.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Choicecut posted:

email sprint cares, they hooked me right the gently caress up.

is sprint cares different from ecare?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is the right thread, but does google voice effectively replace the stock messaging and voicemail apps? Do I just get rid of those widgets?

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
This phone is ridiculously awesome. I'm coming from a Touch Pro so Android is incredibly confusing to me right now, but I can't believe how drat fast this thing is. Had a couple issues activating it at first but now I'm playing Words With Friends like a champ. I think I'm in love :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

sonicice posted:

This phone is ridiculously awesome. I'm coming from a Touch Pro so Android is incredibly confusing to me right now, but I can't believe how drat fast this thing is. Had a couple issues activating it at first but now I'm playing Words With Friends like a champ. I think I'm in love :swoon:

Wordfeud uses push notifications and is goon-made and overall much much better.

The guy who makes Fresh ROM (easily one of the best Evo 4G Sense ROMs) has his 24-hour impression of the 3D posted, it's pretty informative and gives a lot of detail:
http://geekfor.me/news/24-hours-with-my-evo-3d/