Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

bukowskiyouth posted:

Does anyone have any techniques to get your hockey equipment to not smell like death? My gear is starting to get so bad it fills up large rooms, and spraying febreeze and Lysol on it only makes it worse.

Build yourself one of these (and then use it):

4'x4' pegboard with a frame on the back. I should add that it does help if you have a big area of wall to hang it on, though. Also, sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. My gear isn't really purple, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
+ 1 on the pegboard

I'm such a gear whore, that pic is about a year old and most of that stuff has been sold or replaced :smith:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Febreez doesnt do anything.

Your gear just ends up smelling like Spring Fresh Stank.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
If a peg board is too much effort, then you can get a cheap plastic shelving unit from Home Depot and use that to air out your gear. It works really well for airing out and drying my goalie gear:

I wish people would air out their gear instead of letting it ferment a hockey bag in the back of their car. Most gear smell isn't bad enough to notice, but some guys' gear have this massive, peppery smelling dead hobo funk that makes my eyes water. Maybe it's a tactical advantage, but for the benefit of everyone else on the ice, make an effort to air out your gear and keep it dry in between games.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Nothing worse than the guy from the other team that stinks up the faceoff circle

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Thufir posted:

I can probably get my broken skate holder fixed under warranty, YAY!

It'll probably take 4 weeks, BOO!

lovely broken skate update: Bauer was unable to repair my skate so Ice Warehouse is giving me a credit for the purchase price. That sucks balls, my skates were clearance X:40s so of course I can't get a replacement anymore and anything at the same price won't be as nice. Plus I paid for shipping on the broken ones and have to break in a new pair all over again. :sigh:

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

D C posted:

Plus you get the bonus of some of it somehow ending up in your bucket, and getting burning eyes from when it eventually (it always does) leaks into your eye area with your sweat!

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Minister Robathan posted:

Plus you get the bonus of some of it somehow ending up in your bucket, and getting burning eyes from when it eventually (it always does) leaks into your eye area with your sweat!

When I was a yung-in my school for some reason had us paint our hair with that red hair spray paint in school colors (RED). I did not give it a second thought until I put my helmet on over my crusty red hair and knew that night was going to suck, bad. Constant streams of reddish chemical sweat.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ok, I have a $260 credit and get 10% off and free shipping. I've only worn Bauer skates so I want to stick with them. Should I drop an extra $40 and get the ugly Vapor X5.0s or $10 more and try the less-ugly Supreme One70s?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

Ok, I have a $260 credit and get 10% off and free shipping. I've only worn Bauer skates so I want to stick with them. Should I drop an extra $40 and get the ugly Vapor X5.0s or $10 more and try the less-ugly Supreme One70s?

Random but what size do you wear?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

Random but what size do you wear?

8.5D

edit: I guess I could also wait for the Preds equipment sale in hopes of getting a deal on something sweet.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

8.5D

edit: I guess I could also wait for the Preds equipment sale in hopes of getting a deal on something sweet.

me too:hfive:

But I was asking because my friend has a pair of skating he is getting rid of for cheap but they wont fit you:smith:

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

D C posted:

Better off mixing some 60% or 80% alcohol with water, I forget which one, that will at least kill the bacteria that is creating the smell

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

dms666 posted:

Better off mixing some 60% or 80% alcohol with water, I forget which one, that will at least kill the bacteria that is creating the smell

Or drink some alcohol until you can't smell them :v:

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Verman posted:

My stuff smells pretty fantastic. Gloves still smell like newish, I hate wet gloves so I usually take them off when Im on the bench. Keeping them dry keeps the smell out.
:staredog:

If it's been more than a week since my last game, I will pour water into my clothes. Dry, crispy cloves are the most uncomfortable things in the world. poo poo, if I could just let my gloves soak in a pool of liquid between games, I'd be a happy man.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Hey guys I need your opinion.

Which one would you pick http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=EQ2SP or http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=SP4

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Current shoulders are way too robo man.. Get something used from a few years ago.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Surfing Turtle posted:

Which one would you pick http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=EQ2SP or http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=SP4

It's always good to try them on first and see which one gives you more mobility.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Aggro posted:

:staredog:

If it's been more than a week since my last game, I will pour water into my clothes. Dry, crispy cloves are the most uncomfortable things in the world. poo poo, if I could just let my gloves soak in a pool of liquid between games, I'd be a happy man.

But water generally makes gloves crispy when it dries like a chamois, so if you keep them dry, the leather will generally stay softer. You can apply a little bit of oil to the palms to keep them leathery soft. Also, your gloves should soften within minutes of warm up.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Verman posted:

But water generally makes gloves crispy when it dries like a chamois, so if you keep them dry, the leather will generally stay softer. You can apply a little bit of oil to the palms to keep them leathery soft. Also, your gloves should soften within minutes of warm up.

Yeah, when I first put my gloves they're a little stiff, but I don't even notice them when I get out on the ice.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Surfing Turtle posted:

:smugdog:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=SP53

For lyfe :regd10:

D C fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 24, 2011

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Came here to post these. Even when I was still playing contact I wore a pair similar to this.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

shyguy posted:

Came here to post these. Even when I was still playing contact I wore a pair similar to this.

Yeah I gave up my flack vest when I started playing Midgets, they got in the way.

These are great, not much protection, but not once in 8 years have I wished I had more padding. Maybe it helps that I'm a big guy I dont know, but I cant imagine using anything else anymore.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Once I got to the point where I was big enough and I was more than capable of knowing how to take and avoid a hit, having football-like pads just became more of a hinderance than anything.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I had my first ever league game tonight. The rink is only running one division for the summer so skill levels range a ton and I'm on a free agent team so I'm not expecting a ton of success but it was a lot of fun.

Trip report: Our goalie didn't show so we had a sub who couldn't have been more than 15 but really kept us in the game. We were only down 1-0 going into the third but pretty quickly gave up another one and then they scored on a breakaway. We've got some kid that just turned 18 and played some sort of junior hockey who is kind of a ringer and he got our only goal with a few minutes left. Overall we did a lot better than I expected, especially since we only had 7 skaters. I was falling down so much that some guy on the other team asked if there was something wrong with my skates. Na dude, I'm just a lovely skater and I've been out here for 6 minutes straight.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Also, last night we kept the all-ringer team to 3 goals and 20 shots. It was the first time throughout the whole season their shot total has been that low. Their first goal was lame/wicked too. Cannon slapper from behind the blue line that was a top shelf laser. Sick scrub league shot bro :hf:

Sooo, speaking of this team, they were in the B division of the tournament that was this past weekend at Skatetown. My team (the women's one) picked up a couple of dudes from drop-in that are well, pretty good, honestly, and absolutely throttled them something like 7-2. They complained and whined and bitched about one of our good players.

Now THAT is irony...

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Apparently the new season started up at my local rink and they neglected to put our team in the league (because they're a bunch of complete gently caress-ups). This is after we'd won the D1 championship last season!

And we just shelled out $70 per player on custom jerseys and socks for the upcoming season.

:negative:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Sooo, speaking of this team, they were in the B division of the tournament that was this past weekend at Skatetown. My team (the women's one) picked up a couple of dudes from drop-in that are well, pretty good, honestly, and absolutely throttled them something like 7-2. They complained and whined and bitched about one of our good players.

Now THAT is irony...

Haha awesome! For a bunch of bronze ringers, they sure bitch and moan a lot. #4 D-man McIlroy is the worst offender of them all. Ever since I started playing against him last season, he's always complained about any contact whatsoever. Irony being he's the one that ends up taking the majority of their penalties. I think he got sent to the box 3 times when we played them a couple weeks ago.

Also, one of the bronze teams beat them in a shootout a couple weeks ago. Apparently they were pretty pissed about that one too.

On a side note, got my third hatty of the season :toot: We even scored a short-hander during a 5 on 3.

Our team now has it's first winning record in team history :toot:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

On a side note, got my third hatty of the season :toot: We even scored a short-hander during a 5 on 3.

Stop sandbagging you bender.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How else am I supposed to feel good about myself?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Haha awesome! For a bunch of bronze ringers, they sure bitch and moan a lot. #4 D-man McIlroy is the worst offender of them all. Ever since I started playing against him last season, he's always complained about any contact whatsoever. Irony being he's the one that ends up taking the majority of their penalties. I think he got sent to the box 3 times when we played them a couple weeks ago.

Also, one of the bronze teams beat them in a shootout a couple weeks ago. Apparently they were pretty pissed about that one too.

Our team now has it's first winning record in team history :toot:

Thats awesome, I got my first double-hatty last week :toot:

My team is currently in 1st place in our summer inline league. I'm really happy because we built this team this season with guys that I've played with over the years and we actually have a good group of guys, no assholes, lots of skill, and only a guy or two who could improve on their skating. Everyones attitudes are great and we all seem to get along really well. The best part is that the leagues are generally lead by the handful of teams that come back year after year, making it nearly impossible for the new teams and free agent teams to get a win. Luckily we're the exception, the rest of our schedule for the season should ensure we stay high in the standings but for once its finally nice to be on a hard working team who can play to get a win.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

How else am I supposed to feel good about myself?

:lol:

How many levels do you guys have? Seems like you might be able to move up and get better while playing against competition

My team gave up a 5-3 shorty this week and it was pretty embarrassing:smith:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
At our game last night I was playing defense, we were down 4-1 or something. A guy on their team had the puck on the boards near our blue line, and I stepped in front of him with the intent of preventing him from entering the zone. I misjudged his speed, and instead absolutely crushed him into the boards (it was a clean hit, but no check league it was obviously a penalty).

Their team got all uppity about it (one of my pickup buddies gave me a nice cross check in the back), so we jawed at each other a bit, and I got a minor for checking, and was pushed away towards the penalty box. I saw the kid I had hit going to the bench, so I figured I'd go over and say I was sorry for the hit. Everyone saw this, and apparently (I didn't hear any of it) everyone on both teams assumed I was going over to FINISH THE GUY OFF and started shouting "BEWBIES, NO, JUST GO THE BOX MAN, JUST LET IT GO!!!"

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Any inline guys have any advice on wheels? I'm about ready to buy new ones but it's been years and I'm just generally out of the loop. I'm still going to do my due diligence, just really looking for a starting point.

Also, started playing open hockey a few weeks ago at a new spot. Goalie attendance seems very erratic, is this normal? Every other time I've attended open hockey there's usually been more than enough goalies.

Finally -- I did ask the guys that I just started playing with about wheels... they told me just to piss on my wheels to make them more sticky. Has anyone heard of this, or am I being trolled? Pretty sure no matter what I won't be doing this, but it was worth asking.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

cenzo posted:

Any inline guys have any advice on wheels? I'm about ready to buy new ones but it's been years and I'm just generally out of the loop. I'm still going to do my due diligence, just really looking for a starting point.

Also, started playing open hockey a few weeks ago at a new spot. Goalie attendance seems very erratic, is this normal? Every other time I've attended open hockey there's usually been more than enough goalies.

Finally -- I did ask the guys that I just started playing with about wheels... they told me just to piss on my wheels to make them more sticky. Has anyone heard of this, or am I being trolled? Pretty sure no matter what I won't be doing this, but it was worth asking.

Depending on what surface you're playing on, I find 74a wheels to have all the grip I need. Im only about 155lbs so I need a grippier wheel than someone heavier than myself. I was playing with 76a wheels but they were just a bit too slick.

I purchased a green set of Hyper Formula G green wheels and they've been fantastic for the last few seasons for me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

:lol:

How many levels do you guys have? Seems like you might be able to move up and get better while playing against competition

Our current setup goes: Gold A, Gold B, Silver A, Silver B, Bronze
Our team is made up of all players from the same learn-to-play class from a year ago, so we're in Bronze. We just started calling down a Silver B player or 2 when we have a short bench, but other than that, no one on the team played hockey before last year.

Next season they're splitting Bronze into A and B since the current learn-to-play class is expected to produce 4 teams, which is ridiculous. We'll be in Bronze A next season. And I think we'll make the move up to Silver B one season after that depending on how well we do in the fall. Our team started out slow this season, but we're really clicking and building some nice line chemistry now. Right now we're 6-5 with 4 games left in the season, so its not like we're smoking everyone like the ringer team.

To defend my hatty, my line did an amazing job at setting me up all night. 2 of them were 1-timers from the slot and right above the crease on a 2 on 1 fast break. The third was a lovely-angle shot from the bottom of the circle that went 5-hole somehow. I didn't deserve it but I'll take it :v:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 27, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Re: Keeping gear smelling not like death: I use a $30 gear rack I got from Hockeygiant. It's got enough appendages to hold helmet, gloves, shinguards, elbow pads, and girdle with one or two left over in case I get shoulderpads someday. I keep it on my balcony and my gear goes straight from my bag onto that thing after every game. I mean, after a while gear will begin to smell no matter what, I feel. But getting them aired out definitely minimizes this. I can smell most of my teammates well before they come into the lockerroom, but I have to hold my pads up to my face to get a whiff.

Aniki posted:

I wish people would air out their gear instead of letting it ferment a hockey bag in the back of their car. Most gear smell isn't bad enough to notice, but some guys' gear have this massive, peppery smelling dead hobo funk that makes my eyes water. Maybe it's a tactical advantage, but for the benefit of everyone else on the ice, make an effort to air out your gear and keep it dry in between games.

Worst. Thing. Ever. I hate stinky teammates or opponents.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Speaking of moving up.. do people get less douchy as you move up? Right now the level we play is full of douche bags that just slash, hook, crosscheck as a form of defense. Want to move up so we would not have to deal with that every game. My team is not even dominating the league but we have a few good players and they get hacked like crazy during games.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

poser posted:

Speaking of moving up.. do people get less douchy as you move up? Right now the level we play is full of douche bags that just slash, hook, crosscheck as a form of defense. Want to move up so we would not have to deal with that every game. My team is not even dominating the league but we have a few good players and they get hacked like crazy during games.

Honestly, the higher you go up the more serious the gameplay it becomes and the more douchey players become. You will get slashed, hooked, and crosschecked even more than the level you're at now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, I just realized we scored 3 goals in 24 seconds last night.