Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Ohh really? Sorry, I wasn't meaning to sound smug. I guess poo poo's changed a lot.

That's ridiculous.

Yeah. It's a crazy thing. I have no qualms with being honest, but I wasn't sure if this was a thing where everyone feigns honesty just to jump asinine hoops. I don't want to be the "honest" guy who scores low on whatever rubric those things use, while everyone else just selects what the program/person likes hearing and gets a better shot of the job.

Then again, i'm applying for minimum wage part time jobs on retail. I'm not sure if they spend much time reading into these in comparison to other fields.

vvvvv: Noted, sorry.

buglord fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Avocadoes posted:

Yeah. Its a crazy thing. I have no qualms with being honest, but I wasn't sure if this was a thing where everyone feigns honesty just to jump asinine hoops. I dont want to be the "honest" guy who scores low on whatever rubric those things use, while everyone else just selects what the program/person likes hearing and gets a better shot of the job.

Then again, im applying for minimum wage part time jobs on retail. Im not sure if they spend much time reading into these in comparison to other fields.

Please take the time to use apostrophes appropriately :colbert:

Apples and Oranges
Jun 28, 2009

Besesoth posted:

My problem with the buffet-style places in my area are that the majority of them require payment in advance (to avoid things like people loading up on food and then walking out), and since I pay almost exclusively with plastic and don't like carrying cash, I'm put in the position of paying the tip before service is given, which is, I believe, an unethical situation to put a customer in.

(The solution I've found is simply to not go to these places if I don't have cash. ;))

Is it possible to pay for the meal with plastic before and the tip with cash after? I realize this doesn't help if you have no cash on you, but would reduce how much you'd need to carry.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
If someone were to get their achilles tendon completely severed, are they pretty much hosed for the rest of their life? Or can a person go back to normal after surgery and healing?

According to the show Oz, they'd be hosed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mak0rz posted:

I video record animal behavior as part of my research. Before each recording session, I take a photo of a title card (using the same camera). I want to edit the videos so the title card appears at the beginning of it for a couple of seconds. I've been playing around with VirtualDub and can't seem to find anything, and Google isn't much help either.

How can I do it?

I don't really know what VirtualDub is capable of, but it doesn't seem offer video editing in a straightforward way. If you're in Windows, try Windows Movie Maker (you might want to download the old 2.6 over the Live version that ships on newer Windows). If Mac, try iMovie. Both should be free and pretty easy to pick up for your use case. I can also recommend something if you're on Linux.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

kimbo305 posted:

I don't really know what VirtualDub is capable of, but it doesn't seem offer video editing in a straightforward way. If you're in Windows, try Windows Movie Maker (you might want to download the old 2.6 over the Live version that ships on newer Windows). If Mac, try iMovie. Both should be free and pretty easy to pick up for your use case. I can also recommend something if you're on Linux.

The problem is that I'm using an HD video format (MPEG-2), which WMM doesn't support, and downscaling isn't really an option here.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

synthexic posted:

Im looking for a good podcast app for iPad that will psh podcasts to my device. Ideally it'll be free but I don't mind paying. Suggestions?
I think Podcaster and some others I forget the name of (Instacast maybe?) might be what you want. You should ask in the iOS app thread and/or iPAD-dedicated app thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336298
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394831

Avocadoes posted:

How honest do you have to be on those ~100 question online job applications? I'm obviously completely honest with everything else, but those questions are completely insane.

You know, the format of:

I have never been dishonest with my parents

a] Strongly Agree
b] Agree
c] No Opinion
d] Disagree
e] Strongly Disagree

Is it really good to just go "Strongly Agree" on the obvious good quality questions, and "Strongly Disagree" on the bad qualities questions? Am I just supposed to fill in whatever they want to hear like I have been with every application? I've been on a mad dash the past month applying for part time jobs to fund college, so i've done tons of these.
You should answer honestly, even (especially) if that means you look like an incredibly over-the-top super honest person. They're looking for inconsistencies (they ask the same question different ways, as you may have noticed.)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mak0rz posted:

The problem is that I'm using an HD video format (MPEG-2), which WMM doesn't support, and downscaling isn't really an option here.

I guess you'd have to find some real editing software. I actually don't know what iMovie can do; people keep telling me to use it for the fluff we do at work. I guess your options are to see if you can borrow a Mac with iMovie (if it can do HD) or any machine with Premiere.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Timber Wolf posted:

Hey guys, I have a math/video game question. I was going to make a thread about it, but this is something which is probably only of interest to me, so the sticky suggests I should post it here.

In short, how can I model an optimal (in terms of maximum damage per second) attack speed:attack damage ratio given how much each stat costs in the game? I mean, getting only one or the other becomes cost-inefficient at some point; spending some money on the other stat too yields a greater increase in DPS for the money. How can I calculate that sweet spot?

Thanks and feel free to ask me if the problem isn't clear.

It'd help if you could describe the equations that model attack speed and attack damage. The short answer is probably "partial derivatives." Depending on the complexity of the system and the method of assigning "points" into attack speed and damage, the simpler solution might actually end up being to write a program/spreadsheet to calculate each possible distribution, and see what's highest.

Take this simple system for example:

DPS = AS * AD (damage per second = attack speed * attack damage)
AS(p) = p (attack speed = number of points put into "attack speed" stat)
AD(p) = p (attack damage = number of points put into "attack damage" stat)

We can find the extremes of a system by finding where it's first derivitive equals 0.
d (DPS(AS,AD))/(dAS dAD) = d(AS*AD)/(dAS dAD) = d(AS*AD)/dAD * AS/dp + d(AS*AD)/dAS * AD/dp
0 = AS * dAD/dp + AD * dAS/dp
dAD/dp = dAS/dp = p/dp = 1
0 = AS + AP
AS = AP

In my example system, you'll get the best dps when you put an equal number of points into attack speed and attack damage.

Edit: Wait, what? My math is wrong, and I'm honestly a little fuzzy on the logic I used to get there. I don't know what I am doing.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 24, 2011

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So if I start watching that Spartacus: Blood and Sand show, when should I watch Spartacus: Gods of the Arena?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've heard it's incredibly hard to get real MDMA in the US these days and that most dealers substitute other drugs or combinations of other drugs for it because of its hard-to-get status. Is this true?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

feedmyleg posted:

I've heard it's incredibly hard to get real MDMA in the US these days and that most dealers substitute other drugs or combinations of other drugs for it because of its hard-to-get status. Is this true?

First, a brief bit of lingo for you and anyone else: A "roll" or "pill" is an ecstasy tablet, which will be a random color with some sort've design imprinted on it. It may be a specific shape (ie shaped like Obama's head) or just have a design imprinted on it like a dolphin or a logo. A "pill" or "capsule" specifically refers to an empty pill capsule that is full of a powder, which was probably filled up by the dealer themself. "Pure" powdered MDMA is referred to as Molly, or sometimes as MDMA in contrast to "Ecstasy" . "Molly" might be white, brown, or a variety of other colors. Ideally it should be white, but brown or other colored MDMA can be quite potent. You might find some MDMA as crystal shards or chunks, but that's very unusual.

Like weed dealers, ecstasy dealers almost all get high on their own supply, so they generally at least know what they're selling is active. They may or may not know what's in their rolls, but they can at least assure you it has something active in it. The actual rolls are made by sophisticated criminals with access to very expensive pill presses. They will engage in the usual dealer bullshit (YO MAN THESE BE DOUBLE-STACKS!) but don't listen to any of that. According to Ecstasy Data, 19% of rolls contained just MDMA, 25% contain MDMA and an adulterant, and 56% contained none at all. Of that 56%, almost all of them contained SOMETHING active. Now, keep in mind 'adulterant' is different from how coke or heroin is cut. Ecstasy rolls are usually deliberately adulterated with other active chemicals to enhance the roll's effect. Some users seem to PREFER cut rolls and will actually complain about pure rolls because it's not what they expect!

Powdered MDMA is a different story. Because it's regarded as better and purer than rolls, there's a strong financial incentive for dealers to engage in substitution. In contrast with coke or heroin, cutting it with other drugs is very unusual, but out-right substitution with other active chemicals is becoming depressingly common. Mephedrone, methylone, and other "research chemicals" are much cheaper than MDMA dose for dose and there is no way to reliably visually differentiate between them. An unseasoned user might not even be able to tell the difference once they took the drug. Even if a dealer is selling you uncut powdered MDMA, it's probably not pure. The chemist is judged on the weight, so he has a strong financial incentive to not go the extra mile to purify his product.

So how can you be sure you're getting what you paid for? First, sites like Pill Reports and Ecstasy Data can clue you in on what's in a roll. It is also very easy to field-test a pill or roll with reagents. A dealer MIGHT let you test a roll in front of them before you buy it, but don't count on it unless you're a regular customer. You can buy reagents online at Dance Safe (USA) or EZ Test (Europe). These won't tell you how strong your pills are, but you can use them to figure out what is or isn't in them.

Bonus question: Where does Ecstasy in the US come from? Mostly Canada. The Mexican cartels make some, but the bulk of it comes from Canada. In Canada, psychedelic drugs like Ecstasy, LSD, etc are schedule III, not schedule I like in America. In practical terms this means the maximum sentence for being busted for dealing or manufacturing is less than the MINIMUM would be in the US, so the high level guys all stay in Canada. The high-level guys are usually affiliated with Asian criminals in the western part of Canada and Eastern Europeans in the eastern part.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Two completely unrelated questions!

One, Firefox is trying to get me to update to 5.0 except a lot of my add-ons apparently won't work with it. Is there any harm in waiting til they do or should I go ahead and install the update? Does it even matter?

Also-I experienced my first episode of sleep paralysis last night, and it was loving terrifying. Is there anything in particular that causes it and can I do anything to lessen the chances of it happening again because gently caress that poo poo.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Ego-bot posted:

If someone were to get their achilles tendon completely severed, are they pretty much hosed for the rest of their life? Or can a person go back to normal after surgery and healing?

Well I suppose if someone did it with a prison shank it might be different but Dan Marino, for example, had his completely ruptured during an NFL game and came back just fine after surgery.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

spixxor posted:

Two completely unrelated questions!

One, Firefox is trying to get me to update to 5.0 except a lot of my add-ons apparently won't work with it. Is there any harm in waiting til they do or should I go ahead and install the update? Does it even matter?

Also-I experienced my first episode of sleep paralysis last night, and it was loving terrifying. Is there anything in particular that causes it and can I do anything to lessen the chances of it happening again because gently caress that poo poo.

1. I installed the update because I figured I valued any security of the new firefox over the old addons. If you're comfortable poking around in code I THINK you can 'fix' some of them trivially by just changing the versions, but I don't know how to do that. I asked a Mozilla employee, they fixed that so just changing the version never works anymore. He also said no, there's no pressing reason to update to firefox 5 immediately. In addition, you'll eventually be forced to update; there's a silent process that will just replace your executable without giving you an option to say no. This won't happen for some time; they just did the force-update on people who were still using firefox 3.5.

2. Welcome to the club. Many people find sleeping on their side or stomach prevents it from happening, I personally don't. Try reducing the amount of stress in your life, sleep on a regular schedule, don't use drugs or alcohol before bed, and make sure you get enough sleep. It also gets easier with time. My first few times scared the poo poo out of me, but once you learn to recognize what's happening, you can just close your eyes, chill out, and wait for it to go away. I consider waking up to an evil demon chanting over me in latin and then chomping away at my throat to just be something weird that happens some mornings. The realistic ones still sometimes get me.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 24, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ego-bot posted:

A neighbor snapped his playing tennis when I was a kid. I don't know if it was a complete break or what, but he was in a foot-to-hip cast for months. I think it didn't heal well the first time either, and he had to get whatever procedure done a second time as well? To the best of my knowledge he did heal fully, but I don't think he played tennis anymore after that.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Gobbeldygook posted:

2. Welcome to the club. Many people find sleeping on their side or stomach prevents it from happening, I personally don't. Try reducing the amount of stress in your life, sleep on a regular schedule, don't use drugs or alcohol before bed, and make sure you get enough sleep. It also gets easier with time. My first few times scared the poo poo out of me, but once you learn to recognize what's happening, you can just close your eyes, chill out, and wait for it to go away. I consider waking up to an evil demon chanting over me in latin and then chomping away at my throat to just be something weird that happens some mornings. The realistic ones still sometimes get me.

My coworkers wife suffers from sleep paralysis. He said she'll wake up, ask him if there really are gigantic bugs crawling out of the vents, he'll tell her no and she'll just close her eyes and try to chill. I experienced sleep paralysis as a kid, but it didnt stick thankfully.

Timber Wolf
Jan 16, 2008

Die with honor!

Gravity Pike posted:

It'd help if you could describe the equations that model attack speed and attack damage. The short answer is probably "partial derivatives." Depending on the complexity of the system and the method of assigning "points" into attack speed and damage, the simpler solution might actually end up being to write a program/spreadsheet to calculate each possible distribution, and see what's highest.

Take this simple system for example:

DPS = AS * AD (damage per second = attack speed * attack damage)
AS(p) = p (attack speed = number of points put into "attack speed" stat)
AD(p) = p (attack damage = number of points put into "attack damage" stat)

We can find the extremes of a system by finding where it's first derivitive equals 0.
d (DPS(AS,AD))/(dAS dAD) = d(AS*AD)/(dAS dAD) = d(AS*AD)/dAD * AS/dp + d(AS*AD)/dAS * AD/dp
0 = AS * dAD/dp + AD * dAS/dp
dAD/dp = dAS/dp = p/dp = 1
0 = AS + AP
AS = AP

In my example system, you'll get the best dps when you put an equal number of points into attack speed and attack damage.
Thanks for the response.

I don't fully understand your equation, though that's no fault of yours. It's a component of calculus, I assume?

DPS = AS * AD is correct.

The systems for attack damage and attack speed aren't too complex, though attack speed is moreso. They are as follows:

ChampionAS = BaseAS + ASPerLevel * (Level - 1) + BonusAS

Note: The ChampionAS value is attacks per second.

ChampionAD = BaseAD + ADPerLevel * Level + BonusAD

The controlled characters, or "champions," all have different base AS, attack delay, AS/level, and AD/level attributes. Additionally, they level up from level 1 to level 18 over the course of a game, and as you can see above, they experience some natural AS and AD growth. However, the natural growth can't be altered, so the question for the player -- and my question here -- is, "How much bonus AS and bonus AD should I get for maximum DPS?"

Bonus AS and bonus AD are acquired mostly through buying items (though smaller amounts can be acquired by other means). Bonus AS is expressed in the game as a percent of BaseAS. So if a champion with a base AS of .679 buys an item that says "+40% Attack Speed", buying it will make that champion attack 0.2716 (which is what you would plug into the formula) more times per second.

The catch, I suppose, is that attack damage and attack speed cost different amounts of gold. Item costs don't rigidly follow pricing standards, but roughly speaking, the following is true:

-One point of AD costs 36.66 gold.
-One percentage of AS costs 26.25 gold.

Is this enough information to work with?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
With all due respect he already gave you more for free than I expected anyone would. At this point you may want to consider paying someone to help you out.

edit: \/\/\/ alcohol tends to increase the odds, but no guarantee.

randyest fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 24, 2011

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Is there any way to give yourself hiccups deliberately?

Timber Wolf
Jan 16, 2008

Die with honor!

randyest posted:

With all due respect he already gave you more for free than I expected anyone would. At this point you may want to consider paying someone to help you out.
He may tell me this at any point and I will respect that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Torka posted:

Just run some water over your gills :confused:

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I'm currently in IT project management, but I hate sitting in an office all day. Is it difficult to transition my PM skills to a completely different industry? I've been thinking possibly construction since those guys get to be outside at least part of the time. I don't have my PMP cert, but am in the process of getting it in about 2 years which is right when I hope to make the transition.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Torka posted:

Take a shot of hot sauce. Really hot sauce.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I'm currently in IT project management, but I hate sitting in an office all day. Is it difficult to transition my PM skills to a completely different industry? I've been thinking possibly construction since those guys get to be outside at least part of the time. I don't have my PMP cert, but am in the process of getting it in about 2 years which is right when I hope to make the transition.

IT veteran I know hopped first to a big telco, then to the hotel business. Was in the States too, ~5yrs ago. US employers actually like to see that kind of initiative, no?

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009
Hey, would anyone happen to know or have an educated guess about the country in this photo?

I'd need to know it for a competition (and using any means possible is alright so I'm not breaking the rules). Also, that means there's six and a half hours left to find the answer.

There's really no more clues than what is in the photo, except possibly the fact that it was named street-view.jpg. That makes me think it's probably one of the countries that's in Google Street View, but it's entirely possible it's not. I have a hunch for the country, but I'm sort of hoping there's a local goon that could even link the place for confirmation.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Neofelis posted:

Hey, would anyone happen to know or have an educated guess about the country in this photo?

I'd need to know it for a competition (and using any means possible is alright so I'm not breaking the rules). Also, that means there's six and a half hours left to find the answer.

There's really no more clues than what is in the photo, except possibly the fact that it was named street-view.jpg. That makes me think it's probably one of the countries that's in Google Street View, but it's entirely possible it's not. I have a hunch for the country, but I'm sort of hoping there's a local goon that could even link the place for confirmation.

Free-roaming cow, white on black registration plate, car in left lane (presuming the tarmac in the background belongs to that building). Try India. Vegetation seems a bit off though.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

Underflow posted:

Free-roaming cow, white on black registration plate, car in left lane (presuming the tarmac in the background belongs to that building). Try India. Vegetation seems a bit off though.

I think the white line to the left of the red car could be a crosswalk, so I'm inclined to believe it's right-hand traffic. Thanks for the guess though, any small idea could help! I'm just bummed that yelling "zoom", "enhance" and "rotate" to my computer isn't doing anything.

For other possible helpful details I've seen: there's a red and yellow square to the right of the cow that might be a postbox, there seems to be some turquoise in the lower left of the license plate (which otherwise seems to have a white background), the lamp posts look green, and the white stripes on the road are quite long. Of course, some of these might be untypical for the country as a whole, so I suppose it's better not to put too much weight on any single detail.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
i like to collect random little toys, like action figures, etc, that i find at garage sales, on the street, or wherever.

so i find this figure, and i cannot figure out who it is. maybe you guys can help? or if anyone knows another webforum for these type of figure questions, i'd appreciate.

http://tinypic.com/r/2rny64z/7

thanks

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Does anyone have a link to that comic template that has the dude with sunglasses and the last panel with 'YYYYEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA'?

Where the hell did that come from?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Abel Wingnut posted:

Does anyone have a link to that comic template that has the dude with sunglasses and the last panel with 'YYYYEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA'?

The dude is David Caruso and the whole meme is from the cold opens on CSI Miami.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/csi-4-pane-comics

The best part is that in pane 3 he's putting on a second pair of glasses.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Gobbeldygook posted:

:words:

It wasn't my question but that is an excellent answer! Well done, sir.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

stoops posted:

i like to collect random little toys, like action figures, etc, that i find at garage sales, on the street, or wherever.

so i find this figure, and i cannot figure out who it is. maybe you guys can help? or if anyone knows another webforum for these type of figure questions, i'd appreciate.

thanks

Assuming it's actually supposed to be a recognizeable pop culture figure, the first thing that came to mind was Hannibal/leader of the A-Team.

No idea what it actually is though.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Which dystopian film(s) feature confessional booths that are monitored by the authorities? The one I'm thinking of has a computerized religious sounding voice that says soothing crap to the confessing person.
I thought it might be Logan's Run, but it could also be THX1138, or The Island?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Neofelis posted:

I can't help you beyond the clues others have already mentioned, but the idea that there's a "competition" like this sounds fascinating. Is it a public thing you can tell us more about?

alnilam posted:

Which dystopian film(s) feature confessional booths that are monitored by the authorities? The one I'm thinking of has a computerized religious sounding voice that says soothing crap to the confessing person.
I'm pretty sure it's not Logan's Run.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stoops posted:

thanks

I'm thinking Perry White, Clark Kent and Lois Lane's boss.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
When checking in to a hotel, I know they need a credit card on file; do they need to authorize it for the full amount, or just check that I actually have one? I'm going to be checking in to a hotel on Wednesday and checking out on Saturday, and I get paid Friday. I was hoping to be able to spend money before Friday and let that paycheck handle the room, but that won't be an option if they demand to know if I can pay up front.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Golbez posted:

When checking in to a hotel, I know they need a credit card on file; do they need to authorize it for the full amount, or just check that I actually have one? I'm going to be checking in to a hotel on Wednesday and checking out on Saturday, and I get paid Friday. I was hoping to be able to spend money before Friday and let that paycheck handle the room, but that won't be an option if they demand to know if I can pay up front.

Posted just today:

http://lifehacker.com/5815138/why-you-shouldnt-use-a-debit-card-when-paying-for-a-hotel-or-rental-car

Sorry to answer your question with a link, but it seems tailor-made for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

alnilam posted:

Do you mean Blade Runner?