Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Basically Connie Mack used to keep around a couple old star veterans as player-coaches. On the 28 A's that was Collins, Speaker, and Cobb, which makes them nearly mandatory for this theme IMO when combining the ability to use those three guys and reach back for deadballers with Double X, Grove, Cochrane, Bishop, and Al Simmons (who I didn't even use).

Of those I think Speaker and Collins are pretty clearly superior choices to Cobb, but which to use of those is a bit optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

jeffersonlives posted:

(who I didn't even use).

Simmons is just way too expensive and I've only ever used him when there is nobody else worth using.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

AlleyViper posted:

Simmons is just way too expensive and I've only ever used him when there is nobody else worth using.

30s average hitters are ew in general but I did screw around with some Foxx 3B/Ruth 1B/Simmons OF alignments before just rolling with cheap/reliably semi-crappy Larry Gardner.

I feel like I should pick a different Collins and Bishop and flip them after seeing your alignment - the Collins I'm using at short is a B/C+ 2B and that's probably pushing it a bit - but we'll see.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Yay I made it out of the first round in the ToC! I knocked off a #1 seed!

:woop:

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

kensei posted:

I won two games on the road to start the series and then lost two at home. Now I have one final game on the road. Not looking good for Treble In Trouble

saffi faildotter fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 22, 2011

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

kensei posted:

:hf: my RC&C team was in the same position, they took game one against the 4 seed today. '74 Gaylord Perry went 15-20 in the regular season, 6-0 in the playoffs, and is 2-0 in the TOC with 1 ER in 16 IP.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Started off the NLCS in our OL 2-0 then didn't win another game, including an Addie start of 7 shutout innings. :sigh:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Power of Pecota posted:

:hf: my RC&C team was in the same position, they took game one against the 4 seed today. '74 Gaylord Perry went 15-20 in the regular season, 6-0 in the playoffs, and is 2-0 in the TOC with 1 ER in 16 IP.

:):hf::)

AlleyViper posted:

Started off the NLCS in our OL 2-0 then didn't win another game, including an Addie start of 7 shutout innings. :sigh:

:sigh::hf::sigh:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

A lot of times when someone posts play-by-play with the box score hidden, I'll just unhide the box and take a glance.

I encourage anyone else who does that not to do so for this game.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Andres Javier is mine. MORE DINGERS!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

AlleyViper posted:

A lot of times when someone posts play-by-play with the box score hidden, I'll just unhide the box and take a glance.

I encourage anyone else who does that not to do so for this game.

The suspense really built in that 8th inning

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The suspense really built in that 8th inning

There are times when I really like having lots of teams going at once because I like having all those teams to manage and seeing all the different results. But there are also times where I love just having one or two teams because it actually gives me the time to check my boxes through play-by-play instead of at-a-glance.

I would have loved to have seen the five no-hitters I got over the last two months in PBP instead of just opening the box score and going "hey, cool!" but it was not meant to be.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I got all my spreadsheets back! :slick:

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

I got all my spreadsheets back! :slick:

Congrats! Did admin give them to you or what?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I told admin that my last hard drive backup was last July and that I lost everything since then, they gave me all the league numbers of every league I've been in since July. Took about half an hour to plug 'em all in and get the spreadsheets but it's done.

There were a couple of leagues I had forgotten I was in like the Joe D hitting streak league.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

My franchise tournament Indians went to game 7 in the finals of the ToC they were in. I had Addie starting.

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15017928&pid=2&pbp=0&tf=12.95

:sigh:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

My franchise tournament Indians went to game 7 in the finals of the ToC they were in. I had Addie starting.

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15017928&pid=2&pbp=0&tf=12.95

:sigh:

My Addie was a little better in Game one :unsmith:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

My 80-82 RC&C team is on to the third round after a sweep, hopefully the other series goes 5 games. Otherwise I'll probably have to start '62 Bob Gibson game 2 since '62 Koufax is at 85 (91) and '83 Atlee Hammaker is at 78 (90).

Also, 38-game sample size and all, but in wis I now have a win percentage of .509 in the regular season, .462 in the playoffs, and .605 in the ToC.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

So how dumb is this contract really? It was a drunk/panic signing I made when I was setting my spring training lineups at midnight and realized I didn't have two decent corner outfielders and saw a guy with 94 power available.

I ask because someone out of the blue sent me a trade offer for him and I could get out of the commitment I made. I don't get much in return ( this guy ) but I don't have to deal with the contract!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Someone needs to get on this http://www.whatifsports.com/locker/jobs.shtm#CP

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

gyroball posted:

So how dumb is this contract really? It was a drunk/panic signing I made when I was setting my spring training lineups at midnight and realized I didn't have two decent corner outfielders and saw a guy with 94 power available.

I ask because someone out of the blue sent me a trade offer for him and I could get out of the commitment I made. I don't get much in return ( this guy ) but I don't have to deal with the contract!

I wanted to sign that guy but did not want to give up the picks or that much money, you were suppose to let him sit and his demands go down :argh:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Sure it has much less stolen bases, but I think I love this team more than my Rickey team.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

You call that an offense

This is 107 games in by the way

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I need to see Pitcher Babe's stats.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

They're not so good

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I actually meant pitcher Babe's hitting stats but I hadn't noticed that there's a DH. I don't think I like that.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Scrotos posted:

I wanted to sign that guy but did not want to give up the picks or that much money, you were suppose to let him sit and his demands go down :argh:

Ended up rejecting the deal, I'm keeping Pagnozzi. Dingers above all forever

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

I actually meant pitcher Babe's hitting stats but I hadn't noticed that there's a DH. I don't think I like that.

Not having a DH I think would betray the point of the league, which is to have an entire offense and defense of 1 guy.

I think for next season (if I do indeed commish the next season) i'll put it up for a vote whether people want to do a DH, just to change the league up a bit. It might force people to do something interesting, like picking pitchers who could hit well.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Not having a DH I think would betray the point of the league, which is to have an entire offense and defense of 1 guy.

I assume you mean "your offense is entirely one guy" and that removing the DH would mean you would have two guys in your offense (8 Cobbs and your pitcher). Your defense is already two guys (8 Cobbs and your pitcher) so what's the difference, really?

Seems to me that removing the DH would increase the gamesmanship a little bit, making hitting pitchers like Babe, Smokey Joe, Caruthers and Big Train that much more valuable. In fact, I assumed that that was why jeff took Wood in the first place last season, to get his bat in the lineup.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

gyroball posted:

Ended up rejecting the deal, I'm keeping Pagnozzi. Dingers above all forever

I have 3 players for you then :)

Also that bastard dangled Green and then snatched him away and would of done Locke/Mota/C for him but I stupidly gave Locke a NTC :suicide:

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

I assume you mean "your offense is entirely one guy" and that removing the DH would mean you would have two guys in your offense (8 Cobbs and your pitcher). Your defense is already two guys (8 Cobbs and your pitcher) so what's the difference, really?

Seems to me that removing the DH would increase the gamesmanship a little bit, making hitting pitchers like Babe, Smokey Joe, Caruthers and Big Train that much more valuable. In fact, I assumed that that was why jeff took Wood in the first place last season, to get his bat in the lineup.

The thing about Babe is that he's a good enough hitter flat out to draft, and his pitching years are better than a lot of guys. I think he has 3 of the top 4 ERC#s for Ruth and Feller. Maybe 3 of 5, I forget

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Virgil Lewis ownssssssss

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Also, got a 92/93/93/96 current defensive SS for under $4M. Splits are bad, but both Contact and Power are over 60 with eye over 50. With that D (7+ plays at ML SS already) it's worth it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Second in line on prospect bucks in Gleeman since Wilton Carney declined to sign (which sucks but I do get the comp pick) and this guy just popped up:

Gonna be a rough few days of worrying.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

My sucky int'l sees 96/80/80/67 with 84 durability for Mr. Meng. May top out at 80 durability but the rest should come close.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I'm at 20 so mine should be pretty close to legit, and really just going off of the current ratings and demand you can tell he's very good except for health. Hopefully the other teams with 20+ can't see him or just get scared off by the health; if Anaheim wants him there's nothing I can do except drive the price way up.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Finally settled on a 70m team for the WISC. The offense is going to be mediocre-to-bad but the pitching was the best of any team I was able to find including two cost effective stud starters so I couldn't pass them up.

Only two teams completed now but they're the two most 'difficult' so I'm happy with that.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
http://whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15030982&pid=1&pbp=1

Presented as is.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

A dude reached on error, that's not a perfecto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

Presented as is.

Didn't I tell you not to waste those wins I gave you? :mad:

• Locked thread