Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

See if I was going to court I'd want 100% solicitors. Lawyers are only good for crazy USAnian law.

A solicitor is a lawyer, but of a specific type. The only reason we refer to them as solicitors rather than lawyers is to specify between them and barristers, who are also lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Flatscan posted:

A solicitor is a lawyer, but of a specific type. The only reason we refer to them as solicitors rather than lawyers is to specify between them and barristers, who are also lawyers.

Yeah but who'd want a barrister for a personal injury claim?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Anyone whose personal injury claim has for some insane reason gone to Crown Court.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Idioteque Dance posted:

I'm just going to post this great Adam Curtis parody in the middle of all of the Sci-Fi and Lawyers Of A Certain Percentage talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

I do hope it hasn't been posted here already.

I was going to complain that his argument that Adam Curtis makes unsupported sweeping generalisations was an unsupported sweeping generalisation but then I realised I was through the looking glass. Spot-on style parody though.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Idioteque Dance posted:

I'm just going to post this great Adam Curtis parody in the middle of all of the Sci-Fi and Lawyers Of A Certain Percentage talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

I do hope it hasn't been posted here already.

Yeah this is great and pretty much how I felt after the machines of loving grace documentary on Ecology.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Curtis parody is amazing. I wonder if it will get to him.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
It got to me. It got to me that the maker falls into the same traps and offers no alternative.

If you wish to parody something, you cannot just be the thing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Goodnight sweet AIOTM

I will miss you (aside, I won't)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
It has been an amazing three seasons.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tiny Andrew Collins was the best character (aside, he wasn't, he was poo poo).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is that Jamie Theakston in that new Activia advert? Because if it is, i think he's been redubbed with someone elses voice.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Oh my, I love Luther. I really do.

Although, I do find the music gets a bit intrusive at times.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009
Kinda surprised that story arc ended already. I was so sure there was gonna be more than one mask.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cerv posted:

Oh my, I love Luther. I really do.

Although, I do find the music gets a bit intrusive at times.

I think I missed something important, just who was the scary woman whose goon nailed Luther's hand to a table?

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

Fatkraken posted:

I think I missed something important, just who was the scary woman whose goon nailed Luther's hand to a table?

Jenny's Pimp/Boss/Madam I think.

Mogadishu
Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, the whole thing with the girl was just to get Luther to the eastern european snitch. I love how matter of fact he is about dealing with criminals. He really would have helped Ian if he hadn't freaked out about the maid. :smith:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Kin posted:

Is that Jamie Theakston in that new Activia advert? Because if it is, i think he's been redubbed with someone elses voice.

no idea, BUT is that not Paolo Maldini in the Rosetta Stone ad? it's been dubbed over and I swear it looks just like him but google gives me nothing

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mogadishu posted:

Kinda surprised that story arc ended already. I was so sure there was gonna be more than one mask.
It's probably better this way. If it had gone on either the body count racks up and the whole thing gets silly, or it loses momentum.
From the next episode preview the pimp's gang aren't going to leave Luther alone which should provide the nice story arc for the rest of the series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If you have an odd obsession with bloody thirsty dictators or just enjoy history this over an hour long look at Stalin during the war is up until Friday.

And yeah, that is music from The Dark Knight playing in the opening. I know, right?

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Dunno if anyone still watches Waterloo Road but this episode is getting me all kindsa angry.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Zorba the Greek posted:

Dunno if anyone still watches Waterloo Road but this episode is getting me all kindsa angry.

I watch it every week! Normally so I can take the piss after. Although I think I've found myself a bit sucked in.

Fair play to them for making the local Conservative party the series bad guys.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Ben Soosneb posted:

Fair play to them for making the local Conservative party the series bad guys.

Eastenders need to do something similar and work in some government/benefits/disability/homeless/suicide plot to be a bit more realistic.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kin posted:

Eastenders need to do something similar and work in some government/benefits/disability/homeless/suicide plot to be a bit more realistic.

Toss in the Queen Vic exploding again and maybe a kid getting crushed in the rubble and you've got a great Eastenders Christmas Special.

Well, not a great one, just a pretty normal one I guess.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Theres a new Three men in a boat series? HELL YEAH.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zorba the Greek posted:

What's getting you angry? For me it was a tie between the incredibly trite pregnancy plot, the student elections inexplicably being based on national parties (the election was last year, who needs to be relevant?) or the fact that a kid was making huge amounts of money and facing years in jail for carrying what looked like 3 spliffs worth of weed.

It's a shockingly bad show. Remember a few years back where they had an episode with a school shooting complete with a spilt-red-paint-on-shirt fake out?

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

For anyone who enjoys unintended news humour: Nigel Lawson is on Newsnight and I think he's a bit pissed.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What's getting you angry? For me it was a tie between the incredibly trite pregnancy plot, the student elections inexplicably being based on national parties (the election was last year, who needs to be relevant?) or the fact that a kid was making huge amounts of money and facing years in jail for carrying what looked like 3 spliffs worth of weed.

It's a shockingly bad show. Remember a few years back where they had an episode with a school shooting complete with a spilt-red-paint-on-shirt fake out?

I like the show but the stupid pregnancy storyling and the student elections just bugged the hell out of me. And that stupid conservative woman who I want to kick in the oval office.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

If you have an odd obsession with bloody thirsty dictators or just enjoy history this over an hour long look at Stalin during the war is up until Friday.

And yeah, that is music from The Dark Knight playing in the opening. I know, right?

I watched this because I read about it in the paper when it was on last week and I really enjoyed it. Whoever the presenter is does a good job bringing the voices of Stalin, Churchill et al. to life, it has some nicely haunting bits about Russian peasants, and it does not have David Starkey.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm curious at the fate of his secretary whos wife was casually executed with the other prisoners in Moscow.

Beria got his rear end executed eventually for those who wish to know.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I'm meeting Johnny Ball next week. I'm well excited about it. He's coming to our uni (UCLan) to do some event here, science for kids, and as the A/V guy I'm doing some filming for it and maybe get to interview him a bit. Apparently he's lovely, but bonkers.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

thehustler posted:

I'm meeting Johnny Ball next week. I'm well excited about it. He's coming to our uni (UCLan) to do some event here, science for kids, and as the A/V guy I'm doing some filming for it and maybe get to interview him a bit. Apparently he's lovely, but bonkers.

I met him years ago when I was a kid, he came to our school and did a Q&A session with our class. We all got to chat with him and he was awesome. I hear he's still great but has fallen in with the 'global warming is a lie' brigade.

Also thanks to everyone in the thread who raved about The Shadow Line. I ended up watching 5 episodes back-to-back last night on iPlayer. Gripping stuff.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

MisterLizard posted:

I met him years ago when I was a kid, he came to our school and did a Q&A session with our class. We all got to chat with him and he was awesome. I hear he's still great but has fallen in with the 'global warming is a lie' brigade.
When our class went to some maths talk he did he told a joke about Chinese people.

I mean we all laughed because he had been pretty cool throughout and we were school kids who didn't exactly care about PC but still.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Why has he fallen in with the anti-Global Warming brigade? That's depressing.

Bishy
May 2, 2003

Come on now Master Eugene
Adam and Joe are live from Glasto for the next few days, if you're interested. They're on until 1pm today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/festivals/glastonbury/2011/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Haha, I was thinking about a certain Festival Song this morning when I read about it.

Also, I wish the last bit of the Smoking Room had an exterior shot of this Keith getting hit by a car. Bloody excellent series.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Just saw this on a TV listing:

quote:

Glastonbury 2011
Today on BBC 2 from 9:45pm to 10:30pm
Coverage of this year's music and arts festival at Worthy Farm in Somerset, including the headline set by U2 on the Pyramid Stage - the first Glastonbury performance of the band's career. Presented by Jo Whiley, Lauren Laverne, Zane Lowe and Mark Radcliffe.

Overmanning much?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Radios 1,2 and 6 are all there, they probably all demanded the face time.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
And they still never bloody show what I wanted to see.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

pisshead posted:

Just saw this on a TV listing:

Overmanning much?

A show with too many presenters featuring Lauren Laverne? Well that's something new.

Actually, was 10 O'Clock Live good by the end of the show's run? I gave up after episode 3 and had meant to check back in with it around the 10-15 mark, but I never got round to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

ChuckDHead posted:

A show with too many presenters featuring Lauren Laverne? Well that's something new.

Actually, was 10 O'Clock Live good by the end of the show's run? I gave up after episode 3 and had meant to check back in with it around the 10-15 mark, but I never got round to it.
The quality curve was basically still bouncing all over the place but it was generally rising.

Really.

Very.

Slowly.