Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Dr.Oblivious posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjNw75bJyuM

Oh god, not another one of these I hope. :cry:

You bastard! :cry:

Both episodes were good, though I doubt either of them will be all that close to the best episodes for this half season when it's all over with. Yay, Futurama's back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I refuse to be Seymour-rolled. :colbert:

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
So, did anyone accuse the "Who can drink more Arsenic? Test inconclusive" thing of being straight from the mouth of GlaDOS? If so, I missed it.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Stonefish posted:

So, did anyone accuse the "Who can drink more Arsenic? Test inconclusive" thing of being straight from the mouth of GlaDOS? If so, I missed it.

It was sulphur at first where the rock alien said "test inconclusive". Then he decided not to bother with the arsenic test when someone (the professor?) said "just ask us questions!". So I'm gonna go with it not being a GlaDOS thing, and more of a "I don't understand humans don't like to drink chemicals" thing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
A greater spectacle than the premiere of Futurama my eyes have never seen.

Welp, into the turlet.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
I got my roommates, who have never seen Futurama, to watch the full one hour premier with me last night. They reacted much better to the first episode, where they seemed to laugh pretty hard at the gags, and weren't so enamored with the second episode. I, as a long time fan, agree with most people here that the second was overall better than the first.

The important thing is that both episodes were high enough quality to spark interest in the new watchers, and we will be doing a full marathon or at least a best of with three new fans.

I'm doing my part for Ol' Freebie! :patriot: :zoid:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I thought both episodes were great (or awesome, awesome to the max) for what their concepts sound like on paper. Gender swapping all the characters sounds really cliched to me for some reason, so I'm glad it didn't happen until the third act. And Bender just seems to be a little over exposed, but once they stopped being characters and started to be plot elements the episode went from something boring to something interesting.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
I want to voice that I'm legit upset that the thread title isn't "Welp, into the turlet".

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
The gender poo poo was stupid (with the exception of the professors titties flapping in the wind), the Banach Tarski grey goo was awesome.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I did not at all expect a gray goo scenario episode to arise the way it did. I was pleasantly surprised.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I enjoyed both episodes, but preferred Benderama, which is probably one of the better eps they've done. Neutopia wasn't great, but it was redeemed in the second half by throwing taste to the wind and showing some of the most awful images ever drawn. Glorious.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Did anyone notice the professor's girlfriend from the episode with the tax rebate just hanging out in the background? She wasn't doing anything, she was just kinda...there. It was weird.

And the grey goo is severely underused in sci-fi.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

SlothfulCobra posted:

And the grey goo is severely underused in sci-fi.

I suspect that this is because when you start to think about grey goo hard enough to write a story about it you realize that it already exists and is called 'bacteria'.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Anyone else get a Matrix Revolutions vibe from the fight at the end of Benderama? I thought of it instantly when the giant nerd did the slow motion punch to Giant Bender(s)' face and all the debris sprayed, and then thought of it again when the giant nerd had the grayness take him over starting from the center of his chest.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

reflir posted:

I suspect that this is because when you start to think about grey goo hard enough to write a story about it you realize that it already exists and is called 'bacteria'.

Not quite. The bigger problem is that it's an interesting concept but how the hell do you write a plot about it?

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Anyone else get a Matrix Revolutions vibe from the fight at the end of Benderama? I thought of it instantly when the giant nerd did the slow motion punch to Giant Bender(s)' face and all the debris sprayed

That's a Raging Bull reference, same as when it appeared in Raging Bender

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did anyone notice the professor's girlfriend from the episode with the tax rebate just hanging out in the background? She wasn't doing anything, she was just kinda...there. It was weird.
Also, she was skinny in this episode (recall that in the tax rebate episode she was actually morbidly obese).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vogon Poet posted:

Also, she was skinny in this episode (recall that in the tax rebate episode she was actually morbidly obese).

Did she have her navel ring in?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just watched both episodes, as I had DVRed them from each other.

This is what I saw, and thought drat that's a neat trick.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

haveblue posted:

Did she have her navel ring in?
Hmm, I don't remember.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I think she did have the navel ring. Gotta hand it to her, she did lose an awful lot of weight.

Ekplixi
Jul 18, 2006
I guess I was kinda disappointed in the first episode because it did away with characterization for nearly all of the characters. Leela has never been a girly girl but suddenly she's really stereotypical. All the female characters just got transformed into generic girls, and that sucked. It would have been more fun to see them still be themselves. And yeah, the pacing sucked.

But what's up with all the modern-day references in the newer episodes? Nicholas Cage is apparently still making movies and Desperate Housewives is on TV? It was more fun when they tried to "futurize" stuff a little more.

Still, I think it was a promising beginning! I look forward to more.

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!
Finally got around to watching the episodes. I thought the first was a little rushed toward the end, but I really did enjoy the 3rd act. I liked Benderama much more, full of laughs, Patton Oswalt, and plenty of Bender with a touch of Scruffy.

This season is going to be good.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Ekplixi posted:

But what's up with all the modern-day references in the newer episodes? Nicholas Cage is apparently still making movies and Desperate Housewives is on TV? It was more fun when they tried to "futurize" stuff a little more.

The show has always been like that. I can't think of any great examples off the top of my head from the first run, but it happened all the time. It's a comedy cartoon written by people in the present for viewers in the present.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also its just Nick Cage's head.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Remember when it was supposed to be the Simpsons in the future?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

robot roll call posted:

The show has always been like that. I can't think of any great examples off the top of my head from the first run, but it happened all the time. It's a comedy cartoon written by people in the present for viewers in the present.

Yeah, it did. Like "I can feel myself fading away... like Greg Kinnear"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

robot roll call posted:

The Alley McBeal episode.
... having lots of sex.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IUG posted:

The Alley McBeal episode.
... having lots of sex.

That one made sense scientifically, though.

Sort of.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That one made sense scientifically, though.

Sort of.

In hindsight that episode still works, and yes, the 1,000 years of travel time works too (for those who don't know, Lrrr's planet is exactly 1,000 light years away). However, it's still importing pop culture into Futurama. However, I don't see the iPhone episode getting any better over time.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Then again, it's hard to see that one get worse over time, either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IUG posted:

In hindsight that episode still works, and yes, the 1,000 years of travel time works too (for those who don't know, Lrrr's planet is exactly 1,000 light years away). However, it's still importing pop culture into Futurama. However, I don't see the iPhone episode getting any better over time.

Yeah, but the question was about why the Planet Express cast that are not Fry know about present pop culture. In that case I think the others actually don't know about the show, just Fry.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IUG posted:

John Dough posted:

Then again, it's hard to see that one get worse over time, either.

The Ally McBeal episode works so well because it's not really a reference to the show itself as much as it's a reference to the total hysteria that occurred around it.

I think the new episodes are getting really close to being way too topical, and have definitely crossed into that (Kardashian joke) at least a couple of times. Overall I'm enjoying the new episodes though.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Inspector_71 posted:

The Ally McBeal episode works so well because it's not really a reference to the show itself as much as it's a reference to the total hysteria that occurred around it.

I think the new episodes are getting really close to being way too topical, and have definitely crossed into that (Kardashian joke) at least a couple of times. Overall I'm enjoying the new episodes though.

There's also the fact that even if you know literally zero about Ally McBeal because it held no interest and/or you were too young, it's still completely enjoyable. Nothing in the episode is diminished by the fact I know nothing about Ally McBeal. "Cough, then fall over dead" is still loving hilarious, as well as all the other jokes.

I can't help but feel the new episodes, while still funny, just don't have the same feel to them I guess. But still, any Futurama (even the odd bad episode) is better than no Futurama. But, with the exception of Scruffy, gently caress the eyephone episode, it doesn't exist :arghfist::saddownss

Ninja edit: By new episodes, I mean everything past the movies.

wajack
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah, this. While there were moments of brilliance in these two episodes ("titty much protally fitshaced" had me rolling, and the photoshoot montages were fantastic) there were also way too many really lazy jokes (namedrop/gender/topical one-liners mostly) that just aren't clever or funny. There are enough cartoons like that and I'd rather it stayed out of Futurama.

The characters generally seemed to be written like shallow caricatures of themselves, but that's also true of the movies and the first couple of episodes of last season. I wonder if they do this on purpose to try to draw new viewers in?

Overall though, new Futurama, farnsworthtittyflap.gif, can't really complain all that much.

edit: It's really a shame how unfunny the gender jokes were, compared to how loving hysterical Amazonian Women is no matter how many times you've seen it.

wajack fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 25, 2011

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.
I think these two new episodes were just subpar for the season. Every other episode of S6 I absolutely loved to hell and back, and I'm not really a big Futurama guy. When they stopped caring about the job they had to do and explored themselves and the universe, it's awesome.

It's kind of why I feel weird about Planet Express being back in business, instead of it being something everyone ignored all day to go check out various random poo poo around town.

Maybe the first 13 episodes this season raised my expectations too high, or I have rose colored glasses for them, it's been a while.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Why were two of the tiny Benders orange?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

The matter used to make them was an orange crayon, if I recall correctly.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

neonnoodle posted:

Because the matter he ate to produce them was an orange Crayola. At least that's what I assumed.

Damnit.

Patrovsky fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 25, 2011

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

neonnoodle posted:

The only matter that was used to make them was an orange crayon.

Edit: wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Asked & answered :allears:

• Locked thread