Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Zelenka was the true star of Atlantis.

In my SG-1 rewatch I've reached season 3.

:love: Aris Boch

He really should have been used more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They always waste so much food in Stargate. Whenever Daniel and the others sit down in the mess hall the alarm starts blaring and they have to rush off to oversee the unscheduled gate activity. Even in Atlantis where they have limited resources you'll see Dr. Weir sit down to eat but she'll be called away for an emergency. She'll just dump it in the trash and go running off.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mu Zeta posted:

They always waste so much food in Stargate. Whenever Daniel and the others sit down in the mess hall the alarm starts blaring and they have to rush off to oversee the unscheduled gate activity. Even in Atlantis where they have limited resources you'll see Dr. Weir sit down to eat but she'll be called away for an emergency. She'll just dump it in the trash and go running off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Flatscan posted:

I love the look on O'Neill's face.

I just watched a S6 episode yesterday, where Thor takes them to deal with replicators and they're all sitting around eating ice cream. O'Neill has a spoon and tries to get some Teal'C moves his hand away and gives O'Neill and O'Neill is just all 'what the gently caress'. Then Teal'C grabs a case of ice cream of O'Neill. Then after some dialog you see Teal'C snatch O'Neill's ice cream and switches it with his own. The whole little sequence was great and I give it no justice in my lovely retelling.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Minimaul posted:

I love the look on O'Neill's face.

I just watched a S6 episode yesterday, where Thor takes them to deal with replicators and they're all sitting around eating ice cream. O'Neill has a spoon and tries to get some Teal'C moves his hand away and gives O'Neill and O'Neill is just all 'what the gently caress'. Then Teal'C grabs a case of ice cream of O'Neill. Then after some dialog you see Teal'C snatch O'Neill's ice cream and switches it with his own. The whole little sequence was great and I give it no justice in my lovely retelling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcc0dbwfMRg

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Yeah, that's it! That's awesome. I love little stuff like that.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6tvlewO3c

Here is the best Teal'c scene.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I know Stargate is a goofy sci fi action adventure show with lots of completely outlandish bullshit going on right from the start, so maybe this is just blind sperging; but did anyone else utterly lose their suspension of disbelief when humans from Earth started building gigantic intergalactic spaceships in secret? I mean by season 9 or 10 or whatever they had them beaming skyscrapers into space and Jaffa conducting terrorist attacks on office buildings in cloaked cargo ships and meanwhile everything is supposed to still be a secret from the public.

When they started doing stuff like that, plus having massive international involvement it just takes me right out of the story. I think what sealed it for me was that episode where Carter got sent to that alternate reality where the Stargate did go public, as if the writers wanted to say "See! We can't ever really change the status quo (except for when we want to be Star Trek) because society would collapse! :downs:"

Looking back, actually dealing with having the Stargate program (and thusly all the cool technology they collected and evidently reverse engineered) go public would have been a much more satisfying way to spend the last two seasons of the show, rather than making up the Ori and trying to make them menacing.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GreenNight posted:

That will be JetsGuy when he watches season 2 of SGU.

I admit I wrote off SGA completely when it was on TV. I felt like it was probably dumb as gently caress, and every time I heard about the Wraith, it just sounded like goofy space vampires and just couldn't be good. I freely admit I was very wrong, and from Rising, I realized that I was wrong to write it off.

With SGU, however, I tried not to make that same mistake. I actually did watch for a good stretch. I understand that the show apparently got much better in 1.5, and supposedly the show stopped being awful. If the characters weren't absolutely reprehensible, I'd feel more motivated to watch the rest of SGU...

EDIT: Aaaaaand there's a certain irony in that I just sat through Tayla singing as I wrote this... The best part of that episode is Kavanaugh (almost) getting the poo poo kicked out of him. :v: Well, that and it's followed by one of my favorite SGA episodes, Grace Under Pressure.

EDIT 2:

quote:

When they started doing stuff like that, plus having massive international involvement it just takes me right out of the story. I think what sealed it for me was that episode where Carter got sent to that alternate reality where the Stargate did go public, as if the writers wanted to say "See! We can't ever really change the status quo (except for when we want to be Star Trek) because society would collapse!

To be fair, I wouldn't trust our current political climate to the Stargate at all.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 22, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tighclops posted:

I know Stargate is a goofy sci fi action adventure show with lots of completely outlandish bullshit going on right from the start, so maybe this is just blind sperging; but did anyone else utterly lose their suspension of disbelief when humans from Earth started building gigantic intergalactic spaceships in secret? I mean by season 9 or 10 or whatever they had them beaming skyscrapers into space and Jaffa conducting terrorist attacks on office buildings in cloaked cargo ships and meanwhile everything is supposed to still be a secret from the public.

When they started doing stuff like that, plus having massive international involvement it just takes me right out of the story. I think what sealed it for me was that episode where Carter got sent to that alternate reality where the Stargate did go public, as if the writers wanted to say "See! We can't ever really change the status quo (except for when we want to be Star Trek) because society would collapse! :downs:"

Looking back, actually dealing with having the Stargate program (and thusly all the cool technology they collected and evidently reverse engineered) go public would have been a much more satisfying way to spend the last two seasons of the show, rather than making up the Ori and trying to make them menacing.

I read somewhere that the canceled stargate movie would be about the program going public and the poo poo storm that would occur.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Supposedly in SGU season 3, when everyone woke up and 2 years or whatever passed, the Stargate was public knowledge and the shitstorm has hit the fan for the past 2 years...

bobkatt013 posted:

I read somewhere that the canceled stargate movie would be about the program going public and the poo poo storm that would occur.

Yes, this was originally part of the 3rd SG1 movie.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

GreenNight posted:

Supposedly in SGU season 3, when everyone woke up and 2 years or whatever passed, the Stargate was public knowledge and the shitstorm has hit the fan for the past 2 years...

Where'd you hear that?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drcru posted:

Where'd you hear that?

One of Joe's blogs. He mentioned that the events from the movies would be incorporated into season 3. Of course he originally wanted them to sleep for 100-200 years, but was overruled.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka6tvlewO3c

Here is the best Teal'c scene.

Seriously, this scene is the best scene in Stargate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

God drat Teal'c is awesome.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tighclops posted:

but did anyone else utterly lose their suspension of disbelief when humans from Earth started building gigantic intergalactic spaceships in secret? I mean by season 9 or 10 or whatever they had them beaming skyscrapers into space and Jaffa conducting terrorist attacks on office buildings in cloaked cargo ships and meanwhile everything is supposed to still be a secret from the public.

Would have bothered me a lot more if it had gone on longer. Like, by the end of SGU it felt like a stretch, but it didn't pull me out of the show any more than anything else. Another couple of seasons of that and I'd be right there with you, though.

Then again, I've really only seen most of the post-season 6 episodes of SG-1 once (if at all), so I think I kind of subconsciously keep most of that stuff out when I think of the show's universe.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Tighclops posted:

I agree, I found it weird enough that they could suddenly build a huge space carrier, having had trouble just making fighters before. I wonder if the writers were afraid of making the show clearly not take place in our world, or something.

Not only is it increasingly less plausible, but it gets more and more morally reprehensible to hide what's going on out there from the majority of the world.

Ultimately I think it's a big shame that the proposed "Stargate Command" show never got made (instead of season 9/10), if it had gone ahead the franchise would probably still be alive. :sigh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Mayborne was a hardass military guy in the season finale of Sanctuary. Miss him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Mayborne was a hardass military guy in the season finale of Sanctuary. Miss him.

Heh, I was watching that and I said "loving Mayborne" while shaking my fist at the tv.

My girlfriend thinks I'm retarded.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

When Teal'c is O'Neill it's hilarious.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Yea Chrisopher Judge does a drat good job with that. Better than oneills tealc IMO.

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I know Stargate is a goofy sci fi action adventure show with lots of completely outlandish bullshit going on right from the start, so maybe this is just blind sperging; but did anyone else utterly lose their suspension of disbelief when humans from Earth started building gigantic intergalactic spaceships in secret?

Yeah, suddenly they just started pulling those out of nowhere. In the early seasons there was this aura of mystery, wonder and danger in the show. They didn't have any spaceships of their own or any other advanced technology and they were constantly in danger of getting invaded. They were underdogs against Goaulds with exploration being their only hope of defense by finding technology and slowly reverse-engineering it. Galaxy was full of ancient powerful civilizations like Asgard and Nox who had technology so far ahead of what humans had.

In season 1 finale when the Pyramid ship was coming it was BAD NEWS, they tried to destroy it with naquadah enhanced nuke and failed without making a dent. Goaulds were a serious overwhelming threat. They only won by gating into it winning through cunning instead of brute-force. How awesome it was then when they first introduced Asgards and they just made those Pyramid ships vanish into nothing. "An Asgard Mothership! I've heard of them described in Jaffa legend!"

And few seasons later they all have spaceships and its just giant "PEW PEW shields down to x-percent" battles against everyone. Even Asgard for some reason couldn't destroy Goauld ships with ease anymore. System lords were being defeated with left-hand and they had to come up with new enemies. Replicators were OK at first, giving some variation to normal enemies though. Ancients were mysterious before they turned them into assholes.

I still liked the series but I felt that it lost something when they suddenly got spaceships and advanced technology.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I just caught the SG:A episode where everyone loses their memories and the military personnel end up going nuts on the stimulants they've been taking to ward the symptoms off. It seemed like a decent episode until two things happened, which made it great.

(1)A completely distracted and forgetful Rodney only needing to hit the Enter key to finish his program and

(2)Sheppard having stuck a polaroid of himself in Lorne's jacket. This is the kind of sensible, smart move that doesn't happen enough in TV shows like this.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

CaptainQuirk posted:

Yeah, suddenly they just started pulling those out of nowhere. In the early seasons there was this aura of mystery, wonder and danger in the show. They didn't have any spaceships of their own or any other advanced technology and they were constantly in danger of getting invaded. They were underdogs against Goaulds with exploration being their only hope of defense by finding technology and slowly reverse-engineering it. Galaxy was full of ancient powerful civilizations like Asgard and Nox who had technology so far ahead of what humans had.

In season 1 finale when the Pyramid ship was coming it was BAD NEWS, they tried to destroy it with naquadah enhanced nuke and failed without making a dent. Goaulds were a serious overwhelming threat. They only won by gating into it winning through cunning instead of brute-force. How awesome it was then when they first introduced Asgards and they just made those Pyramid ships vanish into nothing. "An Asgard Mothership! I've heard of them described in Jaffa legend!"

And few seasons later they all have spaceships and its just giant "PEW PEW shields down to x-percent" battles against everyone. Even Asgard for some reason couldn't destroy Goauld ships with ease anymore. System lords were being defeated with left-hand and they had to come up with new enemies. Replicators were OK at first, giving some variation to normal enemies though. Ancients were mysterious before they turned them into assholes.

I still liked the series but I felt that it lost something when they suddenly got spaceships and advanced technology.

I really liked them gaining better and better tech. It would have felt like a lovely cop out if they were at the same tech level as 7 years previous and had to only rely on out smarting. Now the saving earth thing and sense of danger disappearing I can see but I think it was a natural progression.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

bobkatt013 posted:

What? When did this happen?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zorba the Greek posted:

What? When did this happen?

Holiday

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

bobkatt013 posted:

Holiday

Watching this episode right now. Thank you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Heh, tricked into watching a terrible episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Everything involving Daniel Jackson sucks but the Teal'c and O'Neill stuff is awesome. Carter does not matter in this episode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't watched it in like a decade but doesn't Daniel Jackson take up most of the episode?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I haven't watched it in like a decade but doesn't Daniel Jackson take up most of the episode?

a good portion but the time spent in SGC is awesome.

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Drizzt01 posted:

I really liked them gaining better and better tech. It would have felt like a lovely cop out if they were at the same tech level as 7 years previous and had to only rely on out smarting. Now the saving earth thing and sense of danger disappearing I can see but I think it was a natural progression.

I agree, I just think that they progressed too fast. They were experimenting with their goauld glider-based fighters early on that had problems and then like 2 seasons later they had these massive spaceships. They got too powerful so new enemies had to be introduced since goaulds werent that big of a threat anymore.

I would've liked if they had slowly made progess. One apparently dropped plotline was Carter learning to use those goauld hand devices - it would have been cool to see them slowly getting technology that was reverse engineered from what they encountered resulting in weird alien-human technology hybrids. Few technological advances per season that would show in the equipment they carry. Goauld shields, energy weapons (well they did use those stunning ones) and other equipment. Showing them gradually reaping the fruits of exploration and getting stronger until defeating Apophis and some other system lords.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Magellan in Daniel Jacksons body, Daniel is actually in a coma in the infirmary most of the episode. When I rewatched I fast forwarded through the Magellan parts.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

CaptainQuirk posted:

I agree, I just think that they progressed too fast. They were experimenting with their goauld glider-based fighters early on that had problems and then like 2 seasons later they had these massive spaceships. They got too powerful so new enemies had to be introduced since goaulds werent that big of a threat anymore.

I would've liked if they had slowly made progess. One apparently dropped plotline was Carter learning to use those goauld hand devices - it would have been cool to see them slowly getting technology that was reverse engineered from what they encountered resulting in weird alien-human technology hybrids. Few technological advances per season that would show in the equipment they carry. Goauld shields, energy weapons (well they did use those stunning ones) and other equipment. Showing them gradually reaping the fruits of exploration and getting stronger until defeating Apophis and some other system lords.

Agreed. It's going to take us about a little over 2 decades to design and build the new Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers (not that we have any planes to stock the drat things with) and obviously that's based on existing technology. They apparently went from slapping a US Airforce sticker on the side of a deathglider in season 4, to having a fully armed battleship/carrier launching in 2 years. And it was superior in almost every way to a Goa'uld battleship? I don't buy it.

I could buy it if it was a slightly more advanced Space Shuttle, fitted with some small (stolen) shields, and engines that could hit hyperspace, but I just didn't buy us being able to build ships more powerful than the Goa'uld within two years.

A progression in personal tech like you said, with them getting some reverse engineered energy based weapons or some other useful little bits of tech would have been much more believable and kept the premise of human underdogs vs powerful aliens.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I have brought the idea up before, but I still think SG-1 seasons 9 and 10 would have been much better if an Ori Prior had got to Earth and managed to convert a couple of nations. They could have really played up how persuasive it would be to a lot of people as well that these aliens rock up and start revealing secrets that could have saved thousands of lives over the past decade that the major world governments have been keeping secret.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Has anyone taken a running tally as to how many times someone said "we're willing to take that risk" or similar throughout all the series? I'd imagine it's probably close to the number of episodes. :v:

Mu Zeta posted:

Not only was Holiday a terrible episode, it was so terrible that they outright said it was a terrible episode in Citizen Joe.

Senor Tron posted:

I have brought the idea up before, but I still think SG-1 seasons 9 and 10 would have been much better if an Ori Prior had got to Earth and managed to convert a couple of nations. They could have really played up how persuasive it would be to a lot of people as well that these aliens rock up and start revealing secrets that could have saved thousands of lives over the past decade that the major world governments have been keeping secret.

The problem with the Ori was simply that the series was pretty much over, RDA was long gone, and really it was obvious they were just going through the motions. Well, that and the writing staff went full-on goon in their social "commentary".

:smug: "Heh, these priors sound a lot like my grandmother. SILLY XIANS!" :smug:

That said, I feel that S9 and S10 get way too much flak. They're not nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 24, 2011

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

CaptainQuirk posted:

Well remember. They jumped in technology level because of the Goauld.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well remember. They jumped in technology level because of the Goauld.

Plus that was the entire premise of the show "use the Stargate to acquire technology and allies to fight the gua'uld". It's a bit unfair to criticize the show when it actually does what it says it's going to do.

Though I agree they should've at least mentioned the big carrier type ships before introducing them. It's not really the level of technology in them either (all of which had been seen before: naquada generators, hyperdrive etc.) but just the size of them. It's hard to believe you could build something that's about the size an aircraft carrier and probably even more costly in complete secrecy.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

quote:

They apparently went from slapping a US Airforce sticker on the side of a deathglider in season 4, to having a fully armed battleship/carrier launching in 2 years. And it was superior in almost every way to a Goa'uld battleship? I don't buy it.
Let me be more specific. Goauld built their first battleship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Didn't they also build them all off planet. I mean they have the stargate.