Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

evil spiff posted:

You got it! Amazing... Seriously, MY WIFE thanks you - she had been trying to remember for days.

Darn, beat me to it. :arghfist::mad: I had to go dig up my copy to confirm that one of the girls she stays with is named Katie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Noetry
Jul 3, 2008
I'm looking for a book that I can only vaguely remember. It involved a race of reptilian humanoids, possibly shapeshifters. At some point in the book the human protagonist possibly goes to one of their meetings... possibly with a reptilian love interest? Also maybe some parts of the book take place in a mental institution of some sort.
There was lots of stuff in it about the reptilian core of the human brain, and how we've repressed it throughout history, and the was possibly some Egyptian mythology in there as well. The cover had a reptile eye on it, and I think the title was in the format of "The (something)s". Orrrr I could just be going insane. Any ideas?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Oh Noetry posted:

I'm looking for a book that I can only vaguely remember. It involved a race of reptilian humanoids, possibly shapeshifters. At some point in the book the human protagonist possibly goes to one of their meetings... possibly with a reptilian love interest? Also maybe some parts of the book take place in a mental institution of some sort.
There was lots of stuff in it about the reptilian core of the human brain, and how we've repressed it throughout history, and the was possibly some Egyptian mythology in there as well. The cover had a reptile eye on it, and I think the title was in the format of "The (something)s". Orrrr I could just be going insane. Any ideas?
Christopher Pike, The Listeners?

Oh Noetry
Jul 3, 2008

Engelbrecht posted:

Christopher Pike, The Listeners?

Yes! I had a feeling it was called that, but when I googled that title, I got the same title by some other guy, completely different topic, so I thought I was going mad. Thank you so much, it's been bugging me all day.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Oh Noetry posted:

Yes! I had a feeling it was called that, but when I googled that title, I got the same title by some other guy, completely different topic, so I thought I was going mad. Thank you so much, it's been bugging me all day.
It's a good title, though I'm damned if I can remember what it's got to do with that particular book....

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I'm looking for a short horror story I remember reading as a teenager. It was in a compilation of short stories. I'm quite sure the title of the story is "Boo!", which makes actually searching for it a pain in the rear end.

The plot is basically A narrated flashlight tour of an old empty house, slowly going floor to floor and room to room, and finally when the very last section of the house has been shown to be empty, something behind the person yells "BOO!!"

I remember it being quite a good G rated story for scaring the poo poo out of kids. If I could get the author, or name of the compilation, or god willing the text, that would be awesome.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

GenoCanSing posted:

I'm looking for a short horror story I remember reading as a teenager. It was in a compilation of short stories. I'm quite sure the title of the story is "Boo!", which makes actually searching for it a pain in the rear end.

The plot is basically A narrated flashlight tour of an old empty house, slowly going floor to floor and room to room, and finally when the very last section of the house has been shown to be empty, something behind the person yells "BOO!!"

I remember it being quite a good G rated story for scaring the poo poo out of kids. If I could get the author, or name of the compilation, or god willing the text, that would be awesome.

Reminds me of something from the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark compilations called The Attic which sounds like a similar fun little G-rated story. It ends with the guy goin up to his attic and letting out a blood-curdling scream....because he stepped on a nail. There's a reading of it here. Might fit your need if what you're looking for doesn't pop up in this thread.

That said, I wouldn't recommend reading some of the other Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark to anyone under the age of, say 30.

Ranccor
Mar 14, 2009

Queen of the net.
For years I've been trying to find a book or short story. Its set in the future where the human race is fighting bugs. The main character is in a type of advanced recon unit where the mortality rate is 100%, but somehow he keeps surviving the missions after everyone else in the units die. This is where it gets fuzzy. He wears a black suit and helmet. He has a second personality i think that takes over his body in these your gonna die fights.... GISing doesn't do anything for me.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Ranccor posted:

For years I've been trying to find a book or short story. Its set in the future where the human race is fighting bugs. The main character is in a type of advanced recon unit where the mortality rate is 100%, but somehow he keeps surviving the missions after everyone else in the units die. This is where it gets fuzzy. He wears a black suit and helmet. He has a second personality i think that takes over his body in these your gonna die fights.... GISing doesn't do anything for me.

Could it be Joe Haldeman's The Forever War? It's not perfect, but yeah, the mortality rate is near 100%, the aliens are somewhat bug/crustacean-like, they have pretty badass spacesuits, and they are conditioned to go apeshit in battle.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ranccor posted:

That's Armor by John Steakley. The main character is Felix, he's a scout (as opposed, IIRC to a warrior or something, and it's against the ants).
http://www.amazon.com/Armor-science-fiction-John-Steakley/dp/0886773687/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1308189295&sr=8-1

trashcanman
May 17, 2006
honkey
Okay this is all I can remember, if anyone can name this you'll be my hero...

We were assigned a portion of this book in middle school I think, and it involved alchemists in Poland in the middle ages.

I can't remember too many details about the plot, but there was something about turning lead into gold, and there were pretty lengthy passages about peasant life and church life at the time.

I remember the beginning focusing on one specific alchemist that had supposedly gotten on the right track or something and maybe there was an older kid in it? But I can't quite recall.

That's about all I can recall other than I think one word in the title sounded particularly Polish. Maybe it started with a 'K' ?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

trashcanman posted:

We were assigned a portion of this book in middle school I think, and it involved alchemists in Poland in the middle ages.

I can't remember too many details about the plot, but there was something about turning lead into gold, and there were pretty lengthy passages about peasant life and church life at the time.

Off of a quick search, could be The Trumpeter of Krakow. It won a Newberry medal in 1929, so was quite possibly assigned.
http://www.amazon.com/Trumpeter-Krakow-Eric-P-Kelly/dp/0689715714/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1308191172&sr=8-1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trumpeter_of_Krakow (will spoil the plot)

trashcanman
May 17, 2006
honkey

ulmont posted:

Off of a quick search, could be The Trumpeter of Krakow. It won a Newberry medal in 1929, so was quite possibly assigned.
http://www.amazon.com/Trumpeter-Krakow-Eric-P-Kelly/dp/0689715714/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1308191172&sr=8-1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trumpeter_of_Krakow (will spoil the plot)

Holy poo poo! There it is! I lost this book and faked it on the test and somehow did well :( Always meant to finish it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Can anyone help me identify a book? It's something to do with hiking and a girl becomes lost on a trail. I think it's Stephen King but I'm not sure.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

VaultAggie posted:

Can anyone help me identify a book? It's something to do with hiking and a girl becomes lost on a trail. I think it's Stephen King but I'm not sure.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon I think?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

VaultAggie posted:

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Thanks! I've been trying to figure it out for nearly a week now.

Ranccor
Mar 14, 2009

Queen of the net.

ulmont posted:

That's Armor by John Steakley. The main character is Felix, he's a scout (as opposed, IIRC to a warrior or something, and it's against the ants).
http://www.amazon.com/Armor-science-fiction-John-Steakley/dp/0886773687/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1308189295&sr=8-1

Felix! yes! Thank you!

funkybottoms posted:

Could it be Joe Haldeman's The Forever War? It's not perfect, but yeah, the mortality rate is near 100%, the aliens are somewhat bug/crustacean-like, they have pretty badass spacesuits, and they are conditioned to go apeshit in battle.

I'm going to have to read that too now.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

Ranccor posted:

I'm going to have to read that too now.

I recommend The Forever War to everyone, indiscriminately!

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Earlier tonight I thought of a book I read in the past and I can't remember what it was. It was your typical murder mystery, and the victim was found strung up in front of a drive-in movie screen, I think - possibly in a room next to the screen, but definitely at a drive-in movie theater. Anybody have any ideas?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

There was a series (of series) with each book (in one of the series) starting with "Golden ______". The very first book started with the protagonist being a young boy growing up with a kind of beast-magic that was looked down upon. He grows up, does some cool stuff, yatta yatta.

Then he gets taken as a page in some castle, gets recruited by this master assassin guy, and learns to be a kung-fu, alchemist-operative who also is a raging berserker [a specific moment in the books is when this guy goes on a viking ship and literally flips his poo poo and axe murders like 100 people].

Later on he's adopted by the king, I think, and then has some strange succession issues due to politics and an impending invasion.

Then the realm is ending due to dark magic or whatever, and the secret to saving it is to put all their eggs into the "Summon Huge Fuckin' Dragons"-basket. This involves trekking into the Dark Forest and conversing with basically Elves. Oh, this guy eventually falls in love with some hippy from a mountain town who is also some kind of passable sorceress.

Then this guy grows old as gently caress, cynical as gently caress, and has basically killed everyone who he respected and, in the process, lost basically everyone he loved except for his dog, though even his dog had to be reanimated from the grave, or something. So the next series of books involves this guy as the old Master Assassin Sensei whereupon he trains the new killer viking kung-fu beast-magic alchemist raging berserker protege.

An underlying theme in all of the books is this guys' ability to use beast-magic and his relationship with the rest of normal society. The beast- society thinks he's just the establishment's tool, and the establishment thinks he's a fuckin' danger to society and wants to hang him.

I think I've read the first two books of this new series, but then I ran out of books.

I want to read this again, but I have no idea what its name is. It's pretty choice trash-fantasy -- the synopsis sounds pretty bland but the storytelling and pacing are fantastic.

DNK fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 22, 2011

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

DNK posted:

There was a series (of series) with each book (in one of the series) starting with "Golden ______". The very first book started with the protagonist being a young boy growing up with a kind of beast-magic that was looked down upon. He grows up, does some cool stuff, yatta yatta.

Then he gets taken as a page in some castle, gets recruited by this master assassin guy, and learns to be a kung-fu, alchemist-operative who also is a raging berserker [a specific moment in the books is when this guy goes on a viking ship and literally flips his poo poo and axe murders like 100 people].

Later on he's adopted by the king, I think, and then has some strange succession issues due to politics and an impending invasion.

Then the realm is ending due to dark magic or whatever, and the secret to saving it is to put all their eggs into the "Summon Huge Fuckin' Dragons"-basket. This involves trekking into the Dark Forest and conversing with basically Elves. Oh, this guy eventually falls in love with some hippy from a mountain town who is also some kind of passable sorceress.

Then this guy grows old as gently caress, cynical as gently caress, and has basically killed everyone who he respected and, in the process, lost basically everyone he loved except for his dog, though even his dog had to be reanimated from the grave, or something. So the next series of books involves this guy as the old Master Assassin Sensei whereupon he trains the new killer viking kung-fu beast-magic alchemist raging berserker protege.

An underlying theme in all of the books is this guys' ability to use beast-magic and his relationship with the rest of normal society. The beast- society thinks he's just the establishment's tool, and the establishment thinks he's a fuckin' danger to society and wants to hang him.

I think I've read the first two books of this new series, but then I ran out of books.

I want to read this again, but I have no idea what its name is. It's pretty choice trash-fantasy -- the synopsis sounds pretty bland but the storytelling and pacing are fantastic.

That's the Farseer and Tawny Man series by Robin Hobb.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Piell posted:

That's the Farseer and Tawny Man series by Robin Hobb.

Yup! Thanks a ton!

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
There was a book I read in high school that I'm trying to find again. It was based (I think) in Washington state and it was about a Japanese guy being tried for a murder or something that he didn't commit. I think there was something about snow or pines or something. I had the hankering to read it lately, but obviously I have very little to go on!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Circle Nine posted:

There was a book I read in high school that I'm trying to find again. It was based (I think) in Washington state and it was about a Japanese guy being tried for a murder or something that he didn't commit. I think there was something about snow or pines or something. I had the hankering to read it lately, but obviously I have very little to go on!

East is East?

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

East is East?

Nope, but thanks though. If I'm remembering correctly while the story is about him and his trial, it's not so much a focus on the guy so much as it is the community around him. But again, this was like 7 or 8 years ago that I read it so my memory of it is hazy at best.

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

Circle Nine posted:

Snow Falling on Cedars?

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

utada posted:

Snow Falling on Cedars?

Yes, that is it! Thank you very much.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Two books:

The first was a hardback I had ages ago with two stories in it. Basically advertisement gone mad. The first one follows some ad-man around when he gets screwed over by his company and ends up with the resistance. I remember flintstones cars and wood jewelry and a giant chicken cancer called "chick little". The second half I could have sworn was called Merchants of Venus but I guess isn't. Basically all the people who hated advertisement went to venus and little like communist hippies.

The second book was five parts, and took place in the future. Some supercomputer was running things and had spread humanity out to the stars, genetically engineering them to fit whatever planet. It had some bounty hunting robots called Vals and the story follows a group of ragtag rebels looking for these five rings that let them shut down this master computer. The guys name is on the tip of my tongue, and I know he does a lot of stuff with weird body changing situations. I think the other book I read by him had some zoo planet where the humans get turned into local aliens by these gate things. Anyway the main character was...a native american fellow with two wives. I recall they stole a big starship at some point in the first or second book, so there you go.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Synnr posted:

The first was a hardback I had ages ago with two stories in it. Basically advertisement gone mad. The first one follows some ad-man around when he gets screwed over by his company and ends up with the resistance. I remember flintstones cars and wood jewelry and a giant chicken cancer called "chick little". The second half I could have sworn was called Merchants of Venus but I guess isn't. Basically all the people who hated advertisement went to venus and little like communist hippies.

Is this The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl and Cyril M. Kornbluth, and its sequel The Merchants' War, originally published as VENUS, INC.?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Synnr posted:

. The guys name is on the tip of my tongue, and I know he does a lot of stuff with weird body changing situations.

I don't know the book, but how can this not be Jack Chalker?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Disappointing egg posted:

Is this The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl and Cyril M. Kornbluth, and its sequel The Merchants' War, originally published as VENUS, INC.?

I sort of see where I was confusing myself, this is it!

fritz posted:

I don't know the book, but how can this not be Jack Chalker?

And this is it too! I knew it was a C name, I just kept thinking chandler for some reason.

Thanks guys!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
I heard about this book on the podcast "the D6 Generation," but I can't find the title of the book.

It's a science fiction book where all the other races in the universe discover space travel early in their development except for humans. Then aliens that conquered the rest of the universe, who I think are fuzzy bears(?), reach earth.

Although humans are harder to conqueror because humans have more advanced weapons.
And I think the aliens have steam powered weapons, but I could be wrong.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Mander Char Char posted:

I heard about this book on the podcast "the D6 Generation," but I can't find the title of the book.

It's a science fiction book where all the other races in the universe discover space travel early in their development except for humans. Then aliens that conquered the rest of the universe, who I think are fuzzy bears(?), reach earth.

Although humans are harder to conqueror because humans have more advanced weapons.
And I think the aliens have steam powered weapons, but I could be wrong.

There is a short story titled The Road Not Taken by Turtledove. I'm not sure if the Hoka teddy bear guys are the aliens in that or not, it has been awhile.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Synnr posted:

There is a short story titled The Road Not Taken by Turtledove. I'm not sure if the Hoka teddy bear guys are the aliens in that or not, it has been awhile.

Yah it's a thread favorite to, I think this is at least the 3rd time it's come up, last time just a month or two back. You can google for the story itself and there's supposed to be a sequel somewhere but I didn't find it when I looked.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Synnr posted:

Oh cool. That sounds like that is the story. Cool. Thanks Synnr. =)

Nihilith
Feb 24, 2011
So there was a fantasy book I read when I was around nine or so, set in what I remember to be "the world of a million spheres" and there's some dude who has to kill the Jack, Queen and King of.....something. And eat their hearts. I think. :black101:

Google results just bring me Elric books, but that doesn't seem right.

Help Goons! This has been sporadically driving me crazy for the longest time.

Edit: I think Engelbrecht has it right, I'm gonna see if I can find a copy of the trilogy and find out. Thanks a bunch.

Nihilith fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 25, 2011

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

There's something I remember reading WAY back, and I remember very little about it, much less the title. Firstly, not a novel - I believe it was one of those big illustrated books - done like a comic. I'm pretty sure it was set in a boys school, maybe boarding school (it was about a bunch of boys getting up to various mischief), and I know the art style was that old cartoony kind that uses pretty much faded red and blue as well as white. Can anyone help me out here? Even knowing the name of that art style would be great.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Nihilith posted:

So there was a fantasy book I read when I was around nine or so, set in what I remember to be "the world of a million spheres" and there's some dude who has to kill the Jack, Queen and King of.....something. And eat their hearts. I think. :black101:

The million spheres thing probably means it is some Moorcock story set in his immortal champion universe, but I am not familiar with them enough to guess. They aren't all Elric though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Nihilith posted:

Maybe Moorcock's first Corum trilogy? Knight/Queen/King of the Swords? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swords_Trilogy