Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Called local Best Buy to ensure that my wife's EVO 3D was in. Guy said they had tons of them left and not running out anytime soon. So if you didn't pre-order sounds like no problem picking one up soon. I wondering since Sprint has a lot better phone selection now than it did at the EVO 4G (plus all the people who still have a year left) launch that the 3D will sell a lot less.

Yeah, I stopped by a Sprint store at 8:15 this morning, and was the only customer there. I waited in line half an hour for the EVO 4G on its launch day.

Another reason for the low turnout is because Sprint recently changed the requirements for their premier tier. Last year, many more qualified for the 1 year upgrade discount. Several people I was in line with last year had purchased the Palm Pre on its release date exactly one year prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Leathal posted:

Any of you guys that preordered from Amazon get a shipment notification yet?

I finally pulled the trigger on three 3Deez late last night and my expected arrival date is Tuesday. Just curious if that's just a catch-all date for preorder people or if some of you guys have earlier dates.

Got my two shipping notifications this morning. In response, my Pre wouldn't turn on without pulling the battery. It knows. Oh, how it knows.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
Does anyone have any case recommendations yet for the 3D?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a solution for the "radio interface resource shortage" error on the 3D? It's been popping up every few minutes since I got the phone this morning. Apparently it's keeping me from texting.

Edit: Fixed it. Store guy didn't tell me to call in to activate, and I hadn't tried making any outgoing calls until I decided to call the store and ask for help.

Strontosaurus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 24, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

z16bitsega posted:

I ordered a cheap $7 TPU case from ebay to hold me over for now.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

z16bitsega posted:

I got the Platinum case and it seems nice so far.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

z16bitsega posted:

@OtterBox: Yeah, its real. Defender (http://t.co/O1nE6nF), Commuter (http://t.co/CkORuPO) & Impact (http://t.co/v8uzgMe) avail 4 EVO 3D. Check em out!

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Strontosaurus posted:

Is there a solution for the "radio interface resource shortage" error on the 3D? It's been popping up every few minutes since I got the phone this morning. Apparently it's keeping me from texting.

I had that when I first got it. I haven't seen it since.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I ordered a cheap $7 TPU case from ebay to hold me over for now.

I ordered one of these on Amazon so I can get it here ASAP. Given my recent spate of bad luck (after almost a year of case-free living with the Evo) I don't want to chance it :ohdear:

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I was messing with the EVO 3d lock screen applications, and wanted to move my phone to another of the buttons, I put maps where the Phone button goes, and go to replace the other button with phone, but phone doesn't show up in the list of available choices. How do I get my phone shortcut back on my lock screen?

deluxeg
Jan 19, 2001

Triikan posted:

I was messing with the EVO 3d lock screen applications, and wanted to move my phone to another of the buttons, I put maps where the Phone button goes, and go to replace the other button with phone, but phone doesn't show up in the list of available choices. How do I get my phone shortcut back on my lock screen?

Check again? I see Phone in my list of choices.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's a bug, that was supposed to be fixed by one of the OTA updates they've done in the past couple days.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

More accurately, it's a bug that was introduced with the first OTA update, and resolved with the third / most recent OTA update that went live today. Install the latest update and reboot your phone.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Can I just say that now that I have seen what a really good, fast, 4G device can do, I'm very, very happy that Sprint has unlimited data?

I really do think that if Sprint can avoid going to tiered data pricing like AT&T and Verizon (and I really, really hope that poo poo goes away because it's loving terrible), they are poised to catch up a LOT of ground in terms of both profit and customers.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I ordered one of these on Amazon so I can get it here ASAP. Given my recent spate of bad luck (after almost a year of case-free living with the Evo) I don't want to chance it :ohdear:

Yeah I know the feeling. My phone is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow and the case on Monday. So I'll have two days with a naked phone and with my luck it'll get run over by a mack truck.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Talking cases, does anyone know when the kickstand case is going to be released? HTCpedia.com has them, but it says back ordered. Anyone that went to a sprint store know if they had them in yet?

My keys have already put a couple nicks on the silver ring around the dual cameras.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Choicecut posted:

My keys have already put a couple nicks on the silver ring around the dual cameras.

This is why I never put in anything in my pocket with my phone, ever.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I have isolated my phone to its own pocket now. I honestly didn't think the plastic of my VW key would do that. Never scratched or nicked my hero or my touch pro.

Tony Danza
Dec 21, 2004
And How!
I have a question that has no doubt been answered before but anticipation is killing me. As it is now my phone will be in town late tonight, fedex. Do I have to wait until Monday or is there a possibility I could pick it up Saturday? I am in Minneapolis if it makes an difference.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I just went to the store today and was able to pick up the 3D after waiting for about 2 hours for the upgrade eligibility to be moved up. Is there a place other than youtube 3D to maybe upload and share and download other 3D media? My last phone was a Samsung Moment and I have to say the difference is staggering. The phone feels a little big in my hand but I'm sure I'll get used to it. What are some essential applications for this phone? I have to say it feels good to get away from my Samsung Moment and I hope they never implement a limited data plan, although it's probably just a matter of time.

For what it counts, the store I went to had a case with a kickstand, but it was kind of ugly so I'm waiting for other options.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How can you even fit anything in your pocket along with an Evo? Unless It's 1997 and you're wearing cargo pants.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

diospadre posted:

How can you even fit anything in your pocket along with an Evo? Unless It's 1997 and you're wearing cargo pants.

I don't when I am wearing jeans, but wear dress pants to work.

Although, cargo pants were the poo poo back in the day! I could store everything in those beasts!

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Choicecut posted:

I don't when I am wearing jeans, but wear dress pants to work.

Although, cargo pants were the poo poo back in the day! I could store everything in those beasts!

I still wear these to work. :D

Quick question (and need advice). I want to get rid of TEP but are there any alternatives out there? What are the pros/cons? I know of SquareTrade but that's it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

diospadre posted:

How can you even fit anything in your pocket along with an Evo?

By being a full grown man and wearing pants that aren't tight?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

big mean giraffe posted:

By being a full grown man and wearing pants that aren't tight?

Skinny jean wearer located!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

diospadre posted:

Be careful around this thread. Any hint of wearing properly fitted clothing just leads to a lot of homophobic chest thumping.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

What kind of policies does Sprint have for people who have constant repair issues with a phone that aren't due to massive damage / drops / water damage? My mother-in-law takes her Pre into Sprint regularly for issues with being able to answer calls (sounds like a digitizer issue to me) but they're never able to fix it for long for some reason. An insurance claim makes no sense since you can get a used Pre for under $100 these days.

Could be free, and it wouldn't be a Pre she gets at this point, I think Sprint replaces them with Android or Blackberry. No idea what specific phone.

Also, phone sales for my stores are great, 3Ds will go in and out of stock but it doesn't look like shortages will be a huge huge problem. There are 30,000 available to dealers for direct ship alone, which is a pretty healthy number from my experience. The original Evo is actually racing neck and neck, most people want to save $100. Now I know why the 3GS still sells.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 24, 2011

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I went to the Sprint Store in Union City, CA today and was one of a few customers inside. The rep claimed to have 70 EVO3Ds and an additional 20 on preorder ready for pickup. I purchased mine along with a Body Glove case to hold me over until something comes out from someone like Incipio.

Coming from a Palm Pre I can initially say the following things:
-This phone is massive, but feels solid and well built.
-Android with Sense is a clusterfuck. I can understand why some people really love it, but I don't care for it too much - I feel like it was designed by someone with ADD. I really want to root and put stock Android on here.
-The 3D, while totally a gimmick, is surprisingly cool to test out with friends at work.

Now the big question: Screen protector or no screen protector? I know it's gorilla glass, and I've seen some EVO 4G phones that still have pristine screens sans protectors, but I'm just so unsure.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

The original Evo is actually racing neck and neck, most people want to save $100. Now I know why the 3GS still sells.

To be fair, it's not like the Evo is suddenly a poo poo phone. I am without a doubt loving the E3D, but even with the upgrade I would've kept my Evo for quite a bit longer, possibly all the way until my wife's Evo is up for replacement.

Re the piece-of-poo poo Pre, just go in with her and ask about replacing it with something not-a-Pre? I think anything Android would be a big step up for her.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is mobile hotspot free on the Evo 3D? It's not mentioning any charges before I start it, but I don't want to get charged $30 for a day of hotspot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair, it's not like the Evo is suddenly a poo poo phone. I am without a doubt loving the E3D, but even with the upgrade I would've kept my Evo for quite a bit longer, possibly all the way until my wife's Evo is up for replacement.

Re the piece-of-poo poo Pre, just go in with her and ask about replacing it with something not-a-Pre? I think anything Android would be a big step up for her.

Absolutely true on the Evo. And yeah, go into a tech center, I don't think they are replacing Pres with Pres anymore, although this is based off of observation and not experience working in a tech center (I work in a lovely mall kiosk). Worth asking, especially because I assume she is grandfathered in on the $0 data premium, and an insurance Android replacement would grandfather her in on that.

spidoman posted:

Is mobile hotspot free on the Evo 3D? It's not mentioning any charges before I start it, but I don't want to get charged $30 for a day of hotspot.

Sometimes when Sprint phones launch the official hotspot feature works without charging you, but i doubt that will last. How Sprint does it is the app won't work unless you purposefully add the $30 tethering add on to your plan. Granted this is better than accidentally charging you for accidentally pressing a button, but still sucks. Wait for 3D root and tether with a non-Sprint app, that should still work fine. No guarantees Sprint will ever not start blocking unauthorized tethering, although so far they ignore it.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Stopped at the sprint store and they had the kickstand case in, but wasn't at all what I was expecting. I saw the otterbox defender and had to have it. It's a tad large, but seems very, very rugged, which is exactly what I need for outdoor use. Wife didn't like the kickstand case either and went with the body glove in red along with some protective screens.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

spidoman posted:

When you actually try to start the service it will check. If you don't have it it won't start the actual tether and complain that you don't have it. I'm going to keep tinkering with mine before I start to write up a review but the flash speed on this phone is phenomenal. Running own3d.tv streams with hardly any lag. The battery might not be as phenomenal when I run it all the time though. And the fact if I tab out of the browser it reloads the stream making me have to rewatch an ad even if I just wanted to text somebody real quick.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My wife loves her 3D coming from the Hero, but after playing with it I feel like I made the right decision in sticking with my EVO. I couldn't go back to Sense after running MIUI, and phone feels like the EVO 1.5. A great phone, but I don't feel like worth the use of a upgrade if coming from the EVO.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there a way to filter out only the 3D movies on youtube? I have to say I am impressed with the voice quality on the phone.

When I connect my Evo 3D to the computer and select internet pass-through, is the phone actually using my computer's cable internet connection? I don't have WiFi set up, so I'm a little confused on this point.

Sulzanti
Jan 22, 2004

ho ho ho

nate fisher posted:

My wife loves her 3D coming from the Hero, but after playing with it I feel like I made the right decision in sticking with my EVO. I couldn't go back to Sense after running MIUI, and phone feels like the EVO 1.5. A great phone, but I don't feel like worth the use of a upgrade if coming from the EVO.

Can you go more into this in detail, or can other people with similar opinions share theirs too? I am one of those latecomers who bought the TP2 after the price drop, to keep SERO as long as possible, so I'm still under contract until March 2012, but I reaaaaaally want the Evo3D. I don't want to pay what I can only assume would be $475 for it though ($549 - $75 credit) so I'm tempted to pick up an Evo secondhand and try to hold off for potentially the nexus 3. I'm thinking that coming from a TP2, even the Evo is going to feel like future alien technology to me, and I won't be missing out on much by not going to the 3d.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I even went as far to change what pocket I put my phone in after I discovered the little button thing on the right pocket of jeans was scratching the front of my old Instinct.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sulzanti posted:

Can you go more into this in detail, or can other people with similar opinions share theirs too? I am one of those latecomers who bought the TP2 after the price drop, to keep SERO as long as possible, so I'm still under contract until March 2012, but I reaaaaaally want the Evo3D. I don't want to pay what I can only assume would be $475 for it though ($549 - $75 credit) so I'm tempted to pick up an Evo secondhand and try to hold off for potentially the nexus 3. I'm thinking that coming from a TP2, even the Evo is going to feel like future alien technology to me, and I won't be missing out on much by not going to the 3d.

If I was you would I buy a used EVO and use my 2012 update for something like the Nexus 3 or whatever is out. The EVO 3D is not worth $475 if you can get a EVO for like $250 or less. Why? It doesn't feel like that much of a jump to justify that extra cost and using the upgrade.

I do have to say the EVO 3D is smooth as butter and is fast, but if you are coming from the TP2 a EVO will feel the same way to you. Wait to use your full upgrade and you will be happy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Deathlove posted:

Got my two shipping notifications this morning. In response, my Pre wouldn't turn on without pulling the battery. It knows. Oh, how it knows.

When the 3D comes don't let the Pre see it. Just take the old buddy out back, give him one last petting and a hug, throw a stick for him to fetch, and as he turns to hobble after the stick just shoot him. Base of the skull, it'll be quick and he won't feel a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
So unless I misunderstood, I thought you could hold down the shutter button on the Evo 3D and launch the camera without unlocking the phone? Is there a setting I might be missing somewhere? It seems almost pointless if I have to click the power button, unlock it, then hold the shutter button to launch the camera app.

poxin fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 25, 2011