Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
This is hard for me to describe because I'm not sure what BJJ calls it, but if you're in seated guard (on your butt, elbows inside knees) and you try to swing one foot under your butt and propel your hips forward, you'll end up kneeling and moving around aikido-style, always keeping a knee up in front of you, so people won't be able to get their legs around you, and you'll be able to do a knee-over pass if they try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Office Sheep posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I have a judo competition under my belt so I know how fun these can be.

Is there any way to prevent guard from being pulled on me or should I just expect that to be the order of the day?

it's pretty hard to prevent in Gi (which im guessing is what you're competing in), just don't let the other guy get good grips, and be aware that he could be using his grips to set up submissions once he pulls guard rather than just throws like in judo. if you have good top control you shouldn't have too much trouble in a white belt's guard, just keep posture and learn a couple basic guard passes

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Ridleys Revenge posted:

This is hard for me to describe because I'm not sure what BJJ calls it, but if you're in seated guard (on your butt, elbows inside knees) and you try to swing one foot under your butt and propel your hips forward, you'll end up kneeling and moving around aikido-style, always keeping a knee up in front of you, so people won't be able to get their legs around you, and you'll be able to do a knee-over pass if they try.

The most common BJJ name for this is combat base, though it's called other things. It's also an excellent position to stand up and work standing passes from. If the guard is closed though you'll need to open it.

quote:

Is there any way to prevent guard from being pulled on me or should I just expect that to be the order of the day?

Pull guard first.

Alternately, keep distance unless you can get superior grips, and if you're good in the standup, don't come in too strong or you'll spook them into an early pull.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Combat Base?

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Nice link! Very educational.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Office Sheep posted:

Is there any way to prevent guard from being pulled on me?

Throw them before they pull guard.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Do any BJJ tourneys exist where you can't use judo throws?

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Office Sheep posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I have a judo competition under my belt so I know how fun these can be.

Dave Camarillo has a few things he does to people who jump guard, in his book (Guerilla Jiu-jitsu). I always mean to get around to practicing them.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nierbo posted:

Do any BJJ tourneys exist where you can't use judo throws?

BJJ doesn't have a strictly defined set of rules that determines what BJJ is, like Judo does. Not a rip on Judo, because the minimal syllabus is part of the genius of it, but BJJ's a different beast. A lot of BJJ techniques are also Judo techniques, also Sambo techniques, also wrestling techniques, whatever.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

BJJ doesn't have a strictly defined set of rules that determines what BJJ is, like Judo does. Not a rip on Judo, because the minimal syllabus is part of the genius of it, but BJJ's a different beast. A lot of BJJ techniques are also Judo techniques, also Sambo techniques, also wrestling techniques, whatever.

Ah kool, I just thought maybe there was a group of bjj guys who were like 'nah, that sucks, we dont train throws, we just drag em to the ground, so you have to do that too' but I'm glad that to hear that doesnt exist.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Nierbo posted:

Ah kool, I just thought maybe there was a group of bjj guys who were like 'nah, that sucks, we dont train throws, we just drag em to the ground, so you have to do that too' but I'm glad that to hear that doesnt exist.

Not per se but it kind of happens in a de facto way. The stand up game in high level BJJ tends to be pretty defensive and long distance compared to what you'd see in wrestling or Judo, and stalling penalties are pretty rare. The only time you really get stand up wars is when you have two guys with very good passing games relative to their guard game, and neither one wants to risk pulling guard on the other. Light weights and below pull guard a lot, and they're more likely to change positions by sweeping than by takedowns. At the more local level, it's pretty common to see guys with no stand up who just pull guard and butt scoot till the ref stands them up. There was a good breakdown in the back of one of the BJJ magazines recently, but I can't remember which one. Fighters Only maybe.

Not that there aren't takedown artists in BJJ. The Ribiero brothers, Claudio Calasans, Andre Galvao, Jacare when he was competing, all spring to mind and I don't even follow competitive BJJ that much. All the top level guys have at least a couple strong takedowns they can work, they just sometimes choose to pull guard because it's a stable position for them.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I've been thinking quite a bit about boxing lately and I always come back to this. Just so if someone doesn't know about these fights. Look them up.

addition: Just look at these guys go, what the gently caress

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 24, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

I've been thinking quite a bit about boxing lately and I always come back to this. Just so if someone doesn't know about these fights. Look them up.

I generally frown on slugfests from a pure training perspective. Watching really heavy brawls as a fan is rewarding -- lots of action and displays of heart. But there's not much I can learn from them. I mean, you have to brawl sometimes, but training boxing is always about good defense, footwork, and technically sound combination punching.

For that, I look to Joe Louis and even Floyd Mayweather. I guess I wouldn't want people who aren't familiar with boxing to look at the Gatti x Ward trilogy as a good example of the sweet science.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I get what you mean but just check out those combinations, there's plenty of 4-6 strike attacks that are so awesome. I would never want anyone to "protect" themselves like that either but poo poo.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
RIP Arturo Gatti :(

Did they end up figuring out if it was his girlfriend that actually killed him?

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

Nierbo posted:

IMO, the threat of being pulled to the ground should be a constant presence in a strong judo offense. Sprawling out on a kneeling opponent is just such an incredibly versatile place for you to be that you'd be silly not to snap your opponent down regularly to look for the myriad of easy chokes and turnovers that you can access from sprawl. Not to mention that each time they resist your snap they're just asking for a morote seoinage or other forward throw. And of course if you can get them to their knees you can always showboat with sweet uchimatas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAIfPVSgDl8&feature=player_embedded).

Here is an awesome video that documents my no-gi gameplan perfectly and really demonstrates how you can pretty much just dominate your opponents if you can ever catch them kneeling or turtling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahwpb2_lWfg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxxe-rluey8&feature=fvwrel

And since I'm currently working on my butterfly, here's an awesome choke that I've been practicing lately:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzDWhnc3uZs

E: This has just turned into a "share youtube stuff" post, hope no one minds.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 24, 2011

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
Any recommendations on eastside washington (state) BJJ schools? I wouldn't mind paying ~$120/month range if that's what it takes to get good instruction.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
That Peruvian necktie is awesome. I actually got shown it the other week, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
It looks like I've got a fight on the ninth. I'll see if I can knock all this rust off before the other guy does it for me.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Sprawling out on a kneeling opponent is just such an incredibly versatile place for you to be that you'd be silly not to snap your opponent down regularly to look for the myriad of easy chokes and turnovers that you can access from sprawl.
Can you expand on that sentence? I've never been taught what a sprawl is and I don't quite get what you mean by my opponent kneeling. I've never seen anyone kneel at judo except when we start there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Look it up on youtube, a sprawl is a super basic wrestling/bjj/everything manoevre to counter double and single leg takedowns.
Ah okay, thats what I thought. I can't imagine that ever being useful in judo though which is why I thought I had it wrong.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 25, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Look it up on youtube, a sprawl is a super basic wrestling/bjj/everything manoevre to counter double and single leg takedowns.

Nierbo posted:

Ah okay, thats what I thought. I can't imagine that ever being useful in judo though which is why I thought I had it wrong.

You do have it wrong. You have it so, so wrong. Further up this page there are twelve attacks from sprawl control, all based off one setup (I didn't watch it all the way through, but I assume they are all based on the peruvian necktie). You've also got guillotines (arm in or arm out), d'arce chokes, anaconda chokes, arm triangles, and that's before you even start moving around. I'm only a white belt and I always freeze up when I get sprawl control because there are so many attacks I can do from there that I can't decide what I want to try.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 25, 2011

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I landed my first decent throw in randori today!! It was a sasae tsurikomi ashi (outer ankle block) as soon as I got a grip on my opponent. We had been drilling o soto gari and combinations involving it, including sasae tsurikomi ashi. Think I need to work on my forward throws since I don't have any confidence at all that I can pull off a seoi nage or something effectively in a live sparring situation.

Any tips for hitting o uchi gari? I like the move a lot but the foot and handwork seem really strange to me, especially in sparring. It seems great for setting up other moves.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Someone mentioned it a while back, but there's this weird dynamic between judo and BJJ dudes where Judokas have this defensive mentality toward BJJ while BJJ dudes just think judo is awesome.

As a lovely non-competing BJJ whitebelt, I'm highly envious of judokas because they're so loving non-hesitant in their techniques, specifically their takedowns. I can't do anything except lovely singles, some trips and pulling guard to save my life and I wish there was more of a throw culture in BJJ because throws are awesome and scary.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
you can annihilate lots of (poor) throws with a proper sprawl/hip movement. Anytime they start the throw, sprawl counter to them, if you do it very hard you (can) ruin their spine. (So safe doing it super hard for competition).

It's more of a vertical sprawl, but a sprawl.

Lazy Dog
May 23, 2003

rock out with your cock out

canoshiz posted:

Any tips for hitting o uchi gari? I like the move a lot but the foot and handwork seem really strange to me, especially in sparring. It seems great for setting up other moves.

I love ouchi as it's one of my go-to moves.

Check this instructional for the classical form, this video from Jimmy Pedro and the following series by Yamashita: Demo Tsukuri/Entry Kuzushi/Breaking Posture Kake/The Finish

Seriously, these videos helped me out lots so check them out.

Also, you might want to look up stuff on inside trips if you don't mind gleaning stuff from wrestling.

Lazy Dog fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 25, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The aikido post in the op is the exact kind of martial art I'm looking for. My vices tend to be Kung Fu and tai chi. Anyone got any good inspirational stories or quotes in regards to those styles similar to that aikido quote? There's a kung Fu school nearby and I plan on dropping by to see about a lesson to see how I like it.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

Nierbo posted:

I've never seen anyone kneel at judo except when we start there.

We kneel all the time. Even if you can't hit a proper wrestling shot, failed ko and o uchi makikomi attempts leave you kneeling, as do stuffed morote garis and kata gurumas. However, it's more important to be willing to just pull your opponent onto his knees with a hard snap down and sprawl on him when he's trying to keep his hips away from you than it is to use sprawl as a defensive counter.

Any time you see your opponent stumble or leaning forward to keep away from your hip, your first response should be to snap down twice in quick succession, and then if he hasn't fallen over snap up with a normal uchi komi and hit a forward throw while he can't stop it.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 25, 2011

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
http://www.wangsmartialarts.com/

This is the local school I was talking about. I know MA goons aren't interested in Kung Fu/tai chi but...thoughts?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Gotcha. Sorry, I was just having a hard time picturing it in my head.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh wow. Researching it a bit, this guy [Wang] has done tutorials for Ehow/Expert Villege.

Here's one video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj0UoiW6Qn4&feature=fvst

Look at that stance :gonk: Does that have ANY practical use?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 25, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've been back a week, and apparently it's been decided that I'm to become the backup instructor whenever our instructor can't hold a class. I did a gi and nogi class this week and the instructor and everyone was so impressed it made me equally uncomfortable.
It's good to be back, though.

I don't feel entirely qualified for instruction, there are a lot of embarrassingly basic things that I still suck at! But I guess this is an opportunity for me to instruct in the things I myself need to improve on :v:

Last thing I taught was an escape from side control, with the basic addition of bridging and grabbing the top person's bicep to prevent proper shoulder pressure. It's probably one of those obvious things, but it was a big revelation for my bottom game when I started doing that, and I like the idea of being able to hopefully give someone else some kind of revelation too.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Himuro posted:

Girl's got a dynamite butt so i guess it's got some use.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Up until the recent, really stupid rule change regarding the grabbing of legs, sprawls were a basic part of Judo. Another reason why the no pants grabbing rule is stupid.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Up until the recent, really stupid rule change regarding the grabbing of legs, sprawls were a basic part of Judo. Another reason why the no pants grabbing rule is stupid.

I don't think I've met anyone who likes this rule change.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Himuro posted:

Oh wow. Researching it a bit, this guy [Wang] has done tutorials for Ehow/Expert Villege.

Here's one video on youtube:

Leg/back conditioning probably. Other than that it looks like a Japanese way to draw a bow on horseback.

Example.

Given that it's called the "Horse riding stance" that may not be just a coincidence. However, I'm not sure what, if any, direct application it might be drawing from in terms of Chinese horse-riding.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 25, 2011

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
After training bjj for about 3/4 of a month, I got the chance to work with a complete newbie a little bit and easily dominated him, it was a great comparison to see how helpless he was and how far I've come. I've gotten several hip and scissor sweeps on other whites, my armbar, triangle and collar choke defense has really come a long way, guard passing and keeping posture on top is getting better, but still no tapouts. I've come tantalizingly close to kimuras, armbars and rear naked chokes, but I still get too excited and make mistakes or they get saved by the timer. I know I'm still a baby learning to crawl and I shouldn't get discouraged, but it can be frustrating. Seeing someone new was a great reminder that I'm getting better and to keep focusing on the little improvements I make every class. A purple belt that uses me like a practice dummy said I have good instincts too, so that felt nice!

mindtwist fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 25, 2011

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've been back a week, and apparently it's been decided that I'm to become the backup instructor whenever our instructor can't hold a class. I did a gi and nogi class this week and the instructor and everyone was so impressed it made me equally uncomfortable.
It's good to be back, though.

I don't feel entirely qualified for instruction, there are a lot of embarrassingly basic things that I still suck at! But I guess this is an opportunity for me to instruct in the things I myself need to improve on :v:

Last thing I taught was an escape from side control, with the basic addition of bridging and grabbing the top person's bicep to prevent proper shoulder pressure. It's probably one of those obvious things, but it was a big revelation for my bottom game when I started doing that, and I like the idea of being able to hopefully give someone else some kind of revelation too.

Aren't you a white belt still? I was in the same position for a while as a blue belt. I tried to get around it by researching and planning out every class very well ahead of time and basically just repeating qualified instructionals verbatim. I've got a pretty good mind for body mechanics and explanation too. Either way, we're not really qualified to teach, we're beginners ourselves, but if it's really the only option you've gotta try to bring other guys up to your level so that you can get better.

widunder
May 2, 2002

mindtwist posted:

After training bjj for about 3/4 of a month, I got the chance to work with a complete newbie a little bit and easily dominated him, it was a great comparison to see how helpless he was and how far I've come. I've gotten several hip and scissor sweeps on other whites, my armbar, triangle and collar choke defense has really come a long way, guard passing and keeping posture on top is getting better, but still no tapouts. I've come tantalizingly close to kimuras, armbars and rear naked chokes, but I still get too excited and make mistakes or they get saved by the timer. I know I'm still a baby learning to crawl and I shouldn't get discouraged, but it can be frustrating. Seeing someone new was a great reminder that I'm getting better and to keep focusing on the little improvements I make every class. A purple belt that uses me like a practice dummy said I have good instincts too, so that felt nice!
Keep it up! Sometimes you feel like you're hitting a wall because your training buddies also are evolving, tapping some newbies can be great once in a while.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

Girl's got a dynamite butt so i guess it's got some use.

Hahah just watched the video without sound after reading this comment and the whole thing looks like "now let me direct your attention to this hot girl's butt from another angle." Can't unsee! Well, I'm sold... where do I sign up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

Teaching stuff makes you really sit back and understand stuff so much better, because you have to sit down (figuratively) and think through every single step of the technique and identify what you are doing wrong and how to correct it. When I started teaching is really when I started truly understanding, rather than just doing, techniques.

• Locked thread