Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Civil posted:

There's a comedian who has a bit about how he wants marijuana legalized just so stoners can find something else to talk about.

Doug has worn thin on me, DLM is one of the last podcasts I'll listen to because I don't like him as a person, even though I usually enjoy his guests. What he really needs is a reboot where he has something else to lean on other than the Leonard Maltin game. When I do listen to his show, that's usually where things start to dip anyway, and he'll cut off interesting and funny conversation just to shoehorn that stupid game in.

That's a Daniel Tosh bit.

I'll agree with DLM being less fun to listen to than it used to be, and that's even as the quality of the guests has increased. I don't think it's the Maltin game, because when the Christmas episode came around, where they did the giant 12-person game, it was loving hilarious, and it definitely has it's moments (Rooker being the most recent one to come to mind). I might just not like Doug. Dude is high all the loving time, and there are very, very few people who can pull that off and still be funny and likable (Tommy Chong?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
He's definitely less funny when he's really high.

I have an iphone question: is there an app that will let me download a single mp3 to my phone? I use podcaster to download subscribed podcasts on the fly, but sometimes I want to listen to a single episode of something without subscribing to it and unsubscribing later.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
For a little while, it seems like he was getting less high before shows, but it looks like that practice has ended. I highly doubt he'll stop doing the majority of his DLM recordings in front of CBB at UCB, as just having that timeslot helps net him some bigger guests who would be there anyway for CBB.

Regarding his standup though, while he leans on the "420" angle for self promotion, I don't recall much of the material on his albums being about pot.

I really wish he could have had more control on how his Benson Interruption tv show had been edited, as the desire for lots of comics per episode did not mix well with the 22 minute time limit at all.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...

Song For The Deaf posted:

You may be surprised. I went home for the week, and we recorded an episode together on Tuesday night. I'll be sitting down to edit this afternoon.

I don't usually listen to video game podcasts, and sorry to derail, but you really have something unique going on with Stand Under the Don't Tree and Riddle Me This. Might I ask how you came up with that name?

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Clovis Sangrail posted:

In case anybody feels the need to dislike Jesse Thorn even more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWqMzLxMj1c

He actually sounds like a Nick Kroll character at various points.

I only made it about a minute. He is the most awkward looking dude on the planet. I guess I should mention I listen to JJGo sometimes and even find Jesse funny on occasion.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

It's become pretty amazing. It's also my favorite earwolf show now, more so than CBB.

I just realized though that no one's even talked about Professor Blastoff of the Apple Sisters. I tried Blastoff for two episodes then gave up and the premise of the Apple Sisters does nothing for me, but anyone still listening to them?

I listened to 3 Professor Blastoffs and gave up. It gets funny on occasion but for the most part I spent the time listening to it inwardly cringing, and that gets uncomfortable.
I do like The Apple Sisters though. It's goofy and silly in a way all the other podcasts I listen to aren't. Though, except for the first one, it hasn't really been "great". I also kind of wish they'd stay away from the suggestive humor and just do bizarre ghost cow, opposite day stuff. It seems like a crutch for them to fall back on rather than anything really funny, a joke substitute.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

Vigilantly Vigorous posted:

I don't usually listen to video game podcasts, and sorry to derail, but you really have something unique going on with Stand Under the Don't Tree and Riddle Me This. Might I ask how you came up with that name?

The joke answer I use is that it's the title of a children's book I wrote once.

The real answer is that it's a nonsense phrase I came up with several years ago. When I started doing college radio, I wanted a name that would stick out on a schedule, but wouldn't pigeonhole me into a particular genre, since I didn't know what kind of show I wanted to do at the time.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
The new episode of BJ Shea's Geek Nation (#2!) is out now!

http://www2.kisw.com/listen/category/BJ+Shea+Geek+Nation

On this episode we talk about Geek Girls, ways to kill time on the internet, the 10 most controversial games! Vicky gives us news from the world of comics, and Gareth Von Kallenbach from https://www.sknr.net gives us the run down on movies, games and why some studios are pulling out of San Diego Comicon!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

habanero walrus posted:

I only made it about a minute. He is the most awkward looking dude on the planet. I guess I should mention I listen to JJGo sometimes and even find Jesse funny on occasion.

My general opinion of Thorn was pretty neutral until I saw how he dresses. Is he going to a costume party? Why not dress like a cowboy or a train conductor or an astronaut instead? It's one thing to be a sharp dressed motherfucker like PFT or Greg Proops, the way he dresses is just goddamn silly.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

DangerDummy! posted:

My general opinion of Thorn was pretty neutral until I saw how he dresses. Is he going to a costume party? Why not dress like a cowboy or a train conductor or an astronaut instead? It's one thing to be a sharp dressed motherfucker like PFT or Greg Proops, the way he dresses is just goddamn silly.

He's a plain-looking guy who dresses outlandishly so he'll be more visually distinctive. Or at least, that's my theory.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
As always, a fantastic appearance by TJ Miller on the latest Doug Loves Movies.

Brody was hilarious as well.

JUST FEELING THE ENERGY

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

DangerDummy! posted:

After I saw the way he dresses, I started laughing even harder at John Hodgman's hate for hipsters.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

-Atom- posted:

As always, a fantastic appearance by TJ Miller on the latest Doug Loves Movies.

Brody was hilarious as well.

JUST FEELING THE ENERGY

I was ready to put off this episode at the beginning because Scott Armstrong was really rubbing me the wrong way and it seemed like a real train wreck to start, but it got so much better as it went on. Denver is a state:ssh:

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Never fear, the newest episode of Those drat Ross Kids just went live.

Pardon the echo, I was home for the week and only had my Blue Snowball to record with, in omni mode. The "live" episodes definitely have a different energy than our Skype stuff.

Check it out, if you'd be so kind.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

When I went to download the latest DLM and saw TJ and Brodie as the guests, I inwardly fistpumped. I don't think that would be a bad episode if Doug just sat down and did nothing.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
Jesse dresses fine, and Put This On is actually a great fashion blog. Up there with Style Blogger, the Sartorialist and Street Etiquette.

In fact, his style is very similar to Paul F. Tompkins' although Jesse seems to favour earth tones while Tompkins' favours cooler colours like navy blue.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Paul F. Tompkins looks slightly silly, because he wears ridiculous clothes well, while Jesse looks like someone who put a lot of thought and effort into their joke party costume. (This is coming from a Jesse fan. He's so pleased with his clothes, and I really wish he'd realize that he's not doing himself any favors.)

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Clovis Sangrail posted:

In case anybody feels the need to dislike Jesse Thorn even more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWqMzLxMj1c

He actually sounds like a Nick Kroll character at various points.

I'm not sure where this Jesse Thorn hate comes from. He's sincere, promoting stuff that he loves, and does a lot to promote podcasting/public media. While he might not have the best physique for showing off clothing, his advice is spot-on.

JJGO has always been one of my favorite podcasts, and the sincerity and lack of cynicism of Jesse's overall style is really refreshing and is a great antidote to the attitude you're expressing.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
That's fair. I really like the guy, and I really like his earnestness and honesty. I just wish he would take it down a notch. Not just the clothing, in everything. Just, relax a little.

And the reason I have these opinions is because I've spent hours and hours listening to him talk about stuff, and I keep coming back to it.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003

wafflesnsegways posted:

Paul F. Tompkins looks slightly silly, because he wears ridiculous clothes well, while Jesse looks like someone who put a lot of thought and effort into their joke party costume. (This is coming from a Jesse fan. He's so pleased with his clothes, and I really wish he'd realize that he's not doing himself any favors.)

I'd be pleased with those clothes too. poo poo, in the last Put This On video blog he got to sit down and talk to Thom Browne who is a goddamn hero of mine and an incredible designer. If I got to do that I'd be the smuggest goddamn person on the planet.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Ok he's a giant smug doucher but those clothes are actually good for god's sake. You guys sound like the nicest clothes in your closet is your good black trench coat or something. Also that stuff was actually really good advice for people using a tailor and all.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Listening to the latest My Brother My Brother and Me I was pretty surprised to hear the podcast Fast Karate for the Gentlemen getting plugged on the money-zone segment. I listened to it off and on a year or two ago, and I remember it being pretty amusing, if not laugh out loud funny.
Basically it was two friends shooting the poo poo about general nerd topics with a pretty relaxed atmosphere a lot of geeky podcasts lack. Generally they babbled on about food, video games, and reviewed terrible 80s anime shows.

Can anyone who still listens regularly tell me if it's still funny and worth dipping back into?

Zohn fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 25, 2011

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I will say that when I saw Doug Benson at SXSW he was clearly stoned out of his gourd and it was kind of awkward...at least from the audience. I'm not talking about when he did his own thing but when he dropped in for Marc Maron's WTF recording. He just was too stoned and at least how I read the other people on the panel it seemed awkward.

On the other hand when I've seen of Doug Loves Movies at UCB LA is that most of the time he's under control. I think the time constraint of having Comedy Bang Bang coming on is actually for the most part good for the show as it means it can't just lag with pointless poo poo. A big issue to me is that sometimes guests are late or even Doug is.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

shotgunbadger posted:

Ok he's a giant smug doucher but those clothes are actually good for god's sake. You guys sound like the nicest clothes in your closet is your good black trench coat or something. Also that stuff was actually really good advice for people using a tailor and all.

No way Jose. I like to fancy myself up with a powdered wig and a fake beauty mark while I don the finest fashions Victorian London has to offer. I put my kid in a ruffled shirt, short pants and a ribboned boater hat so he can look extra nice with a giant lolly, rolling a metal hoop down the street with a stick with the other snipes. My wife wears a Starfleet admiral's uniform. We all get together with Jesse Thorn and go to the local RenFest, where we pretend to have amazing time travel adventures.

I have an honest appreciation for nice clothes, but how is what he wears any different from a cape and top hat? It's silly. I give him credit in that he seems to have a real affection for his style of dress, moreso than a lot of people who wear goofy poo poo like he does. It doesn't make him look less like a doofus.

e: I'm not gonna loving rag on him anymore. He really seems like a swell guy, I don't deny that he's good at what he does, and I think he's one of the people we have to thank for the podcasts we all love being what they are today. I have a hard time taking someone seriously when they're dressed like a jackass.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 25, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

shotgunbadger posted:

Sorry man, you're not going to convince me that the alternative to wearing formal wear to Burger King is having a closet full of trench coats.

Formal wear from a different era, no less.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
In JJGo, the shlubby surfer/stoner guy with huge curly hair is the straight man.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
I like Jesse Thorn. I feel compelled to come in and post in defense of him. He's eccentric but so are you, you loving nerd.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

j8910 posted:

I like Jesse Thorn. I feel compelled to come in and post in defense of him. He's eccentric but so are you, you loving nerd.

It's only "eccentric" if you're rich, I'm just a loving weirdo.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Comedy Podcast Megathread - Jesse Thorn is a Twat, Joe Rogan's three hour podcast is amazing and UYD is the Greatest Podcast in the History of Mankind

I may be of the same opinion of Jesse Thorn's threads as most people, but that's what he likes and I say go with it. I think my limit is the pink pants he wore on an episode of NNF, but then again I think most people who wear pink need to think twice about it.

A lot of people here have said "Don't listen to that one anymore, listen to this one." They're all, for the most part, free. Why not listen to both? An example is HDTGM. I listened to both The Flophouse and We Hate Movies and though both are pretty good, they're no better or worse than HDTGM. Everything has it's ups and downs. Yes I wish Paul Sheer would put more effort into the viewer mail or even MAYBE ditch it for another bit, but overall the conversations about the films leave me entertained/amused.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

NecronSchmecron posted:

Comedy Podcast Megathread - Jesse Thorn is a Twat, Joe Rogan's three hour podcast is amazing and UYD is the Greatest Podcast in the History of Mankind

I may be of the same opinion of Jesse Thorn's threads as most people, but that's what he likes and I say go with it. I think my limit is the pink pants he wore on an episode of NNF, but then again I think most people who wear pink need to think twice about it.

A lot of people here have said "Don't listen to that one anymore, listen to this one." They're all, for the most part, free. Why not listen to both? An example is HDTGM. I listened to both The Flophouse and We Hate Movies and though both are pretty good, they're no better or worse than HDTGM. Everything has it's ups and downs. Yes I wish Paul Sheer would put more effort into the viewer mail or even MAYBE ditch it for another bit, but overall the conversations about the films leave me entertained/amused.
I agree with this thread title unironically.

Other things that are done unironically: Jesse Thorn wearing a bowtie.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I've been disappointed with Sick & Wrong lately. I was worried Dee moving to LA and the show going to Skype was going to affected the show. It did for a bit and now they seem comfortable with doing it. Just now it seems Lance is out of the country every other week and we get some lovely interview instead.

If a mod is reading this, would you mind if I or someone better made a Serious Podcast Megathread?

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003

habanero walrus posted:

I agree with this thread title unironically.

Other things that are done unironically: Jesse Thorn wearing a bowtie.

Paul F. Tompkins has also wears bow ties pretty much exclusively these days.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
I think Jesse is a super nice and pretty funny guy, but I like to think of him as a NeoHipster; just replace being 'ironic' with being 'quirky'. In addition to dressing like a fop, he also is a teetotaler and really into rap music. It seems like these are just affections for affectations sake. Look how interesting a character I am!

I don't think he dresses the way he does because it 'looks good' but rather because he enjoys playing adult dress-up, which is fine. The thing is I think he can look good in a suit, but 90% of the time he looks like a huge dork with a stupid bowtie or an ascot or something.

The reason I suggested people switch over from HDTGM to the Flop House is that I think it blows HDTGM out of the water. There is no point to listen to something when the alternative is a million times better. HDTGM is okay if you like to hear every possible iteration of "I LITERALLY hated this movie" or "can we talk about x? that part was the most DISTURBING thing I've ever seen in a film" or "this part of the movie made me so ANGRY."

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Vertigus posted:

Sorry man, you're not going to convince me that the alternative to wearing formal wear to Burger King is having a closet full of trench coats.

Formal wear from a different era, no less.

Ok so like, are we watching the same video? I'm not seeing him wearing 'a different era's formal wear, or dressing in a suit to only go to Burger King, I'm just seeing a pretty nicely dressed guy talking about really good tailoring advice and all for people?

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

Didn't you guys know that dressing like a 1950's science professor is all the rage these days and totally not outdated?

credit:Scott Beale/https://www.laugingsquid.com

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
To digress from 'goons slapfight about fashion (me included', which Flophouse had Porthole of Time in it? The new one has them talking about it and I pretty much have to hear that.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

shotgunbadger posted:

To digress from 'goons slapfight about fashion (me included', which Flophouse had Porthole of Time in it? The new one has them talking about it and I pretty much have to hear that.

Yeah, this arguing is getting kind of annoying. I'll stop too.

The porthole of time is in #65 - Old Dogs.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Ah, the movie I feared to even hear about, welp time to dive into the horror, thanks!

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

shotgunbadger posted:

Ok so like, are we watching the same video? I'm not seeing him wearing 'a different era's formal wear, or dressing in a suit to only go to Burger King, I'm just seeing a pretty nicely dressed guy talking about really good tailoring advice and all for people?

The tweed coat, sweater vest, and bow tie are right out of the 50s, dude. And I definitely don't get the impression that he only wears that getup to lecture series about splitting the atom.

Also his pocket square is all messed up in that picture :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Anal Volcano posted:

Haha, RBR is hilarious but also loving nuts. Mike David wavers between comedy genius and insane, hateful, spite-filled rear end in a top hat so many times in an episode, I always come away from it feeling kind of gross. I think it's amazing that he can go on the show and say what he says and still have a successful comedy career - his comedy club hosted a big event this year and everything. Crazy. The show has produced some brilliant comedy over the years - the saga of Tim from Boston, the Elan story, basically anything involving daytime talk shows - but drat if it isn't really hard to listen to sometimes. James Fritz usually keeps Mike in check when he's on, though.

I love it though - only podcast I've listened to for over 3 years and still love (sorry Keith and the Girl, but you got kinda boring after you broke up).

Yeah, the quality of RBR tends to fluctuate depending on Mike's general mood and the guest hosts he has with him. For example when Mike's girlfriend left with Dean and he was depressed, the show was poo poo, but when Kyle and Fritz became regular guys it became amazing again.

There are some incredibly uncomfortable bits such as his attempt to reclaim the word friend of the family for the purposes of comedy and I always feel pretty bad when they prank call people but it's balanced out with the smallest moments of absolute genius such as their freestyle raps and rants about Subway.

• Locked thread