Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

LinuxGirl87 posted:

Also, the use of the term "cubs" instead of, you know, "babies" "kids" "children" just screams "creepy unmarried uncle you only ever see at the family reunion".

:cry:

Or a furry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

or "big fat virgin who's rationalised his lack of sex as a lifestyle choice against breeders"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Coffee Quack posted:

imagine all the lives that could be saved if only wikipedia had a few more photos of public urination

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

imagine all the lives that could be saved if only wikipedia had a few more photos of public urination

when the american hegemony collapses, the world population is decimated, and the survivors crawl from the ashes and begin searching for something to guide the recovery of the human race, the ultimate gift of its thousands of years of culture, the light in the darkness will be this dump I just took

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Lamont Cranston posted:

seriyospost:
wikipedia is not censored is the worst policy

wiki weirdos don't seem to understand that "not censored" doesn't mean that a photograph of their own greasy dick is of equal educational value to a medical photograph

or that everyone who wants to read about a skin disease or whatever also wants to see up close disgusting pictures of it

i mean i've been on medical websites that warn and link to gross pictures but that's just not acceptable on wikipedia

i love how self-righteous they get about it too, as if they're last defenders of free speech

just require all pictures to be properly sourced, and the problem will go away on its own

"sorry, but until we've got third party confirmation that this picture is, in fact, a woman urinating, it'll have to stay off wikipedia"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its not wikipedia but its close enough

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_cross_your_heart_and_hope_to_die_means

LinuxGirl87
Feb 13, 2006

by Ozmaugh

ymgve posted:

just require all pictures to be properly sourced, and the problem will go away on its own

"sorry, but until we've got third party confirmation that this picture is, in fact, a woman urinating, it'll have to stay off wikipedia"

:fry:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Coffee Quack posted:

quote:

(Commons is not censored, blah blah blah (Mr. Freeman)).
what's with the random namedrop

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

what's with the random namedrop

the ending to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slRsexrhbG8

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ymgve posted:

its kind of interesting that photographers get a free ride from having [[citation needed]] put on anything. uploading pics of obscure things and tagging them as something slightly different sounds like a good way to vandal

also didnt jimmy institute a "seriously quit with the exhibitionism" policy?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Lutha Mahtin posted:

its kind of interesting that photographers get a free ride from having [[citation needed]] put on anything. uploading pics of obscure things and tagging them as something slightly different sounds like a good way to vandal

also didnt jimmy institute a "seriously quit with the exhibitionism" policy?

yes, and they restored nearly everything he removed and de-modded

edit lol

quote:

Now, we all know about Jimbo's rampage a few months back, but we also know its upshot: virtually everything was restored and he was effectively de-admin'd. The whole point of this is to clarify policy in an area where even the founder of Wikipedia was apparently capable of misunderstanding community intent. - Jmabel ! talk 04:09, 13 December 2010 (UTC)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Sexual_content/Archive_6#Second_poll_for_promotion_to_policy_.28December_2010.29

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 25, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Lamont Cranston posted:

edit lol

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Sexual_content/Archive_6#Second_poll_for_promotion_to_policy_.28December_2010.29

so did they restore the lolicon wikipe-tan? im pretty sure the questions surrounding copyright were sufficiently addressed by now

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Lamont Cranston posted:

edit lol

quote:

Oppose} Some rhetorical questions: Do we have a policy that facilitates deletion of certain culturally offensive imagery? No? Do we have a policy that facilitates deletion certain imagery of violence or murder? No? Not even if the perpetrator or victim of the violence requests deletion 40 years later? Shall it become OK to flood commons with images DEPICTING AND GLORIFYING HATE AND DEATH BUT NOT LOVEMAKING? NOT ON MY WATCH! What started as obviously vile, anti-sex, agenda-driven instruction creep became an innocuous-looking almost-reasonable sounding but-not-quite-right proposal, due to some edits by talented and well-meaning editors. But no, I will never accept the argument that it's OK to show children how adults can kill each other, and hate each other, but not how adults can love each other. Because it makes no sense. Think about it. Amen. --Walks on Water (talk) 06:48, 6 December 2010 (UTC)

quote:

Oppose (a) it's plain unnecessary. (b) since we're an international and intercultural site, using US/Florida law is not acceptable. The pure suggestion to value it above all others in the world is obscene and fascist. (c) Servers and office space can be had almost everywhere on earth, so if we were wanting to have materials challanged by someplaces law, we can simply store and serve them elsewhere. (As a side note, US govt. escape their law in Guantanamo, why not act like so?) (d) Obscenity is too variable a concept, you cannot build on it. --Purodha Blissenbach (talk) 10:34, 6 December 2010 (UTC)

quote:

Oppose I oppose a policy or section that is absolutely useless. I was just asked by a Federal judge why after allowing my nudes to be shown on Wiki to minors I can be opposed to GOOG doing it also. Either place all nude images behind an age disclaimer or keep out the Googlebot-image bot. This is not just an opposition to ALMOST getting it right but a DEMAND that the Googlebot-image bot be excluded by 12-10-2010 or that all photo content by me be removed. I am comfortable with it being here and it is some of the best content and should remain. Wiki must either keep out the GOOG image search or delete content donated by me to prevent it being shown to my minor children while at school on GOOG safe searches. CurtisNeeley (talk) 04:40, 8 December 2010 (UTC)

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
wait how can they deadmin jimbo? how can he confuse the purpose of his own site? what kind of bizarre politika is wikipedia anyway? fundamentalist democracy or something?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

got dat wmd posted:

wait how can they deadmin jimbo? how can he confuse the purpose of his own site? what kind of bizarre politika is wikipedia anyway? fundamentalist democracy or something?
he voluntarily gave up a bunch of his admin rights because the majority of other admins/mods opposed him

wikipedia/wikimedia are run by spergs

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Aren't there still like 10,000 pictures on wikimedia of dudes' junk for every 1 picture actually allowed onto wikipedia

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

fishmech posted:

Aren't there still like 10,000 pictures on wikimedia of dudes' junk for every 1 picture actually allowed onto wikipedia

if only more dudes' junk were available we could rid third world countries of the scourge of aids :(

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

fishmech posted:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Intact_human_penis

The following 200 files are in this category, out of 226 total.

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

lmao, "Intact" vs "Circumcised"

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Nibiru posted:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Intact_human_penis

The following 200 files are in this category, out of 226 total.

And that's just the intact ones!

e: gently caress.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirating_smoke_detector

most of the words on that page were written by the director of marketing for a company, see if you can guess which one!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

YOSPOS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Neurotypical#Windows_NT.3F

quote:

Is it true, or just an urban legend that Windows NT (tm) has been named after "neurotypical" because the majority of the programmers at Microsoft are in fact autists (above all Bill Gates)and wanted to make fun of their normal "neurotypical" customers? 79.193.114.134 (talk) 14:53, 1 July 2009 (UTC)

Windows NT was released before the word neurotypical was invented. Eubulides (talk) 16:00, 1 July 2009 (UTC)

lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ugh, what is it with assburgers constantly trying to "claim" famous/clever people as one of their own?

there used to be a bunch of poo poo on the Einstein article about how he supposedly had it

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
desperation to find a sense of self worth/gratification

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

they think that the average populace is too stupid to see how superior the spergtelect is without a wikipedia list

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
they can claim Hitler

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

if they're so eager to justify their broken brains they should look at Newton, except he was a massive douche who had no friends and died a virgin, so not exactly the poster-boy they wanted

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sweevo posted:

if they're so eager to justify their broken brains they should look at Newton, except he was a massive douche who had no friends and died a virgin, so not exactly the poster-boy they wanted
it sounds like he's the one they deserve, though

osu
May 30, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-functioning_autism

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

One day Newton wondered how his eye worked, so he did the obvious thing; slide a blunt needle into his eye socket and behind the eye, then wiggle it around to see what happened.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

yeah newton was a giant poo poo, it's amazing how much people overlook that

i wanna give liebniz credit for inventing calculus just because he was nicer

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Sweevo posted:

ugh, what is it with assburgers constantly trying to "claim" famous/clever people as one of their own?

there used to be a bunch of poo poo on the Einstein article about how he supposedly had it

they are attempting to create historical evidence that asperger's actually exists beyond the self-diagnosed internet disorder that claims that they are special and smarter than everyone else, therefore of a higher intellectual class. basically what they're doing is retroactively creating the "disease" that they now claim as an excuse for being assholes, worthless whiney scumbags, who are immune to the social rules of normal people because they're "special" (by claiming they are smarter and superior, a farce that is absolutely lacks basis in reality or any evidence beyond the wikipedia article) while still being able to claim it as a disease / handicap when people point out their behavior as being totally unacceptable

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah newton was a giant poo poo, it's amazing how much people overlook that

i wanna give liebniz credit for inventing calculus just because he was nicer

leibniz had to be sociable because he was dependent on wealthy patrons. that also made him extremely conservative, and he worked hard to maintain the status quo, which meant that he clung on to medieval scholasticism instead of rejecting it like the English had. his contributions to math and logic were great, but his philosophical writings were a throwback to thomas aquinas and st. augustine.

but i will give more credit to leibniz than newton, because leibniz actually published his work, instead of wasting his time loving around with alchemy.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

mr_jim posted:

instead of wasting his time loving around with alchemy.

In order to prove purestrain gold is superior, you must generate a test subject

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
read a pretty cool historical sf series whose premise was that newton had succeeded at alchemy

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

duTrieux posted:

One day Newton wondered how his eye worked, so he did the obvious thing; slide a blunt needle into his eye socket and behind the eye, then wiggle it around to see what happened.

did you make it through the entire Baroque cycle or gave up after the first one like I should have done?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Haven't read any of them, actually. They're on my list, I'll get to them sometime.

I'm currently working on some Bond novels which are surprisingly goddamn racist.

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 27, 2011

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
a british novel written in the 50s by an aristocratic globetraveling wwii hero is racist? SUPRISING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
moonraker owns bc it's a really good introduction to baccarat