Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!
I'm sure this has been covered, but this thread has gotten too long to scour the whole thing.

What is the consensus on the Husky SM610? There's a very nice one near me for about half what a 690 goes for in my neck of the woods. 2007 model with ~6000 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Hot Buttered posted:

I'm sure this has been covered, but this thread has gotten too long to scour the whole thing.

What is the consensus on the Husky SM610? There's a very nice one near me for about half what a 690 goes for in my neck of the woods. 2007 model with ~6000 miles.

The thing to watch with the 610s is the cam chain. It stretches it past the point of normal useage roughly every 10k. You need to check the number of cam chain clicks if you buy that bike, and be prepared to replace the cam chain if needed. Besides that, its pretty much the halfway point between a 690 and a DRZ. Go test ride it and see what you think.

At half the price of a 690, that's the sweet spot pricewise. Half a 690 is a drz here.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!
Any idea as to how it would compare to the 640 Duke II I have now?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Compared to your Duke the 690 is going to be much smoother and with more suspension travel. Also more powah.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!
That I have heard. I wish I could afford one. What I want to know about is the SM610. If it's not much different from my Duke, there's not much reason to buy it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-Replacement-Plastic-Kit-2041080001/dp/B0018EOKA8/ref=sr_1_97?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1308933770&sr=1-97

You can replace your entire set of plastics on this bike for like $100? Hahaha.. and they just bolt on... I'm going to get a set just because mine are slightly scuffed up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Hot Buttered posted:

That I have heard. I wish I could afford one. What I want to know about is the SM610. If it's not much different from my Duke, there's not much reason to buy it.

In my experience with Duke 2s, it'll be much smoother and nicer to ride, more powerful, and much nicer suspension. But riding it will tell you for sure, Id go try and get a test ride. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Duke 2 but I'd totally buy a 610.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!
Fantastic. Thanks for the help guys. I waiting on the seller to even get back to me about availability. If I do the deal, I'll post my impressions.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Hot Buttered posted:

I rode an SMS630 and it was underwhelming. It was decorked, too. My modded DRZ felt like it had more torques. Not sure how the 610 compares though. The gearing could've been off too.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
OK, taking another stab at this: Opinions?

The only issue is getting it home. I don't have easy access to a pickup and riding it home is basically not an option.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

OK, taking another stab at this: Opinions?

The only issue is getting it home. I don't have easy access to a pickup and riding it home is basically not an option.

If the bike isn't too far and the bike is still registered by the owner you may see if he is willing to ride it to your place if you purchase it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Here we go again, gonna check this out on Wednesday.

In other, slightly more strange news, a supermoto guy I met at the track claims that he always sings parts of "Don't stop me now" when riding it.

I'm a shooting star leaping through the skies
Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity
I'm a racing car passing by like Lady Godiva
I'm gonna go go go
There's no stopping me

Fitting, I suppose.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

If the bike isn't too far and the bike is still registered by the owner you may see if he is willing to ride it to your place if you purchase it.

It's 3 hours drive, so I highly doubt it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

robotsinmyhead posted:

It's 3 hours drive, so I highly doubt it.

why buy a bike you are not stoked about riding 3 hours solid on???

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the foamy wrapper thing on the handlebars for? Mine came with one and I think its a bit gay, I took it off.

Is it worth it to upgrade your bars? I am very shallow and am highly concerned with the looks of my ride.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

soy posted:

What is the foamy wrapper thing on the handlebars for? Mine came with one and I think its a bit gay, I took it off.

Is it worth it to upgrade your bars? I am very shallow and am highly concerned with the looks of my ride.

It's so you don't bust up your chin gettin' extreme.

Bar upgrades can be for a number of reasons, mainly fatter bars for more durability or taller/different shaped bars for comfort/control.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Well, that DRZ sold before I was going to go look at it. Time for another year of watching classifieds.:saddowns:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

soy posted:

why buy a bike you are not stoked about riding 3 hours solid on???

3hrs at 90% highway speeds, considering I've done scarcely that much on my current bike, which is much more "cruiser-y", I'm a little tentative.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'd do it, but you'll have to sort out the overseas airfare. Hell, I'll throw in free fill ups along the way! Deal?

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Uk Question (sort of cross-posted from the questions thread, but more appropriate here):

Anyone have any opinions about a DRZ with 33bhp restrictor kit? Don't think this has been covered in the thread, but I could be wrong.

I'll be passing my test later this summer. I've done ~2,000 miles on my 1994 Suzuki GS125 since February, feeling fairly confident about the practical test. Probably not going to spend the extra money on the DAS, tbh.

The roads around here are fantastic (Dorset). Pretty goddamn fun even on my 125; I can only imagine how good a sumo would be around here :dance:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

polystyrus posted:

Uk Question (sort of cross-posted from the questions thread, but more appropriate here):

Anyone have any opinions about a DRZ with 33bhp restrictor kit? Don't think this has been covered in the thread, but I could be wrong.

I'll be passing my test later this summer. I've done ~2,000 miles on my 1994 Suzuki GS125 since February, feeling fairly confident about the practical test. Probably not going to spend the extra money on the DAS, tbh.

The roads around here are fantastic (Dorset). Pretty goddamn fun even on my 125; I can only imagine how good a sumo would be around here :dance:
Its around that stock, so it shouldn't do too much to the engine. What makes up the kit?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Clank posted:

Well, that DRZ sold before I was going to go look at it. Time for another year of watching classifieds.:saddowns:

I sympathize, the guy looking to trade with me decided to try to sell outright instead and the market in this area is awful. A 2001 convert is listed at 4500 :/

It sounded like people were jerking him around on craigslist tho and he was tired of dealing with it, so I might end up with a DRZ still. Being a "no-bullshit" option might be appealing to him in a week or two.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

Its around that stock, so it shouldn't do too much to the engine. What makes up the kit?

Tbqh I have no idea. I've heard it's just going to be a washer, but I'm not entirely sure where the washer goes.... Also hopefully I can actually get hold of a kit. Suzuki dealer near me might be able to get it, I suppose.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

polystyrus posted:

Tbqh I have no idea. I've heard it's just going to be a washer, but I'm not entirely sure where the washer goes.... Also hopefully I can actually get hold of a kit. Suzuki dealer near me might be able to get it, I suppose.

Probably a mild intake restrictor then, not a big deal.

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
I believe the restriction is a thicker carb cap/washer on the top of the mikuni... If it was me, I'd get the restriction certificate, then take it out and forget about it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Seeing as how I'm a man that is always getting ahead of himself, I might as well ask now, before I've even bought the bike; is there any reason *not* to buy a FCR for a DRZ?

"[working title posted:

"]
I believe the restriction is a thicker carb cap/washer on the top of the mikuni... If it was me, I'd get the restriction certificate, then take it out and forget about it.

If it is the kind that goes in the cap of your carb, it's called a throttle stop, and it looks like someone put a piece of plastic pipe inside the cap of the carb. It prevents the throttle from opening fully, hence the name.

Like so:

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

If it is the kind that goes in the cap of your carb, it's called a throttle stop, and it looks like someone put a piece of plastic pipe inside the cap of the carb. It prevents the throttle from opening fully, hence the name.

That seems quite likely. Also, there is no way in hell I'm paying ~200 quid for that. I'll just do it myself and get it put on a dyno. I think a post on tumpertalk might be in order soon.

edit: Although I might get shot down in flames because with my luck they'll see restricting as blasphemy

dick traceroute fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 26, 2011

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish owning a bike in real life was more like gran turismo where you get a nice upgrade screen that neatly lays out all your options with price tags and then you just press a buttan and the man upgrades your thing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
All with a smooth jazz soundtrack...

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
Polystyrus, check out drz400uk.org as well. Lot of friendly uk people on there to help you out.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"[working title posted:

"]
Polystyrus, check out drz400uk.org as well. Lot of friendly uk people on there to help you out.

Sweet, didn't know about that forum, thanks. Registered :-)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Any opinions on these sales? I'm seeing an 07 DRZ400SM for 4000 or an 04 KTM625smc for 3500ish. Both will be negotiated down in price.

Do I go with less vibration / power on the DRZ but get a newer bike, or do I go for paintshaker wheelie machine on the KTM? I'm coming off an F4i so I'm basically looking to just mess around. Possibly a track day.

This leads me to believe I'd be happier with the KTM. What does CA think?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

JP Money posted:

Any opinions on these sales? I'm seeing an 07 DRZ400SM for 4000 or an 04 KTM625smc for 3500ish. Both will be negotiated down in price.

Do I go with less vibration / power on the DRZ but get a newer bike, or do I go for paintshaker wheelie machine on the KTM? I'm coming off an F4i so I'm basically looking to just mess around. Possibly a track day.

If the DRZ is stock, as in no BB/FCR then definitely go with the KTM.

Infact, just go with the KTM regardless.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you get the KTM, powdercoat the wheels because silver wheels on a supermoto is the most boooooooooooring thing ever.

Way to go KTM :argh:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

MrZig posted:

If the DRZ is stock, as in no BB/FCR then definitely go with the KTM.

Infact, just go with the KTM regardless.

The DRZ has a pipe, jet kit, filter, etc. No FCR - that was the first question I asked him. The DRZ is definitely down about 20hp on the KTM. I'm sure that the KTM will be more fun I just don't want to rattle to death from the early LC4..

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm going to play devils advocate and say get the DRZ, unless you're going to be on the track regularly, you wont be giving up much.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

KTM is the better bike, and if it's just a toy anyway, the KTM is the better toy. No real reason not to get the KTM, though there's nothing wrong with the DRZ either. 625 is a better engine, and the components are nicer. Phat_Albert isn't wrong, you can't really make a mistake choosing between the two, I'd say the KTM is the better value and the better bike, but DRZs do have a lot going for them.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Spiffness posted:

KTM is the better bike, and if it's just a toy anyway, the KTM is the better toy. No real reason not to get the KTM, though there's nothing wrong with the DRZ either. 625 is a better engine, and the components are nicer. Phat_Albert isn't wrong, you can't really make a mistake choosing between the two, I'd say the KTM is the better value and the better bike, but DRZs do have a lot going for them.

This was my conversation I had with Spiff before & after buying the DRZ.

quote:

Me: There's a DRZSM with all the mods done to it for sale..
Spiff: BUY IT
So I bought it. Next conversation:

quote:

Me: The DRZ is awesome.
Spiff: Why haven't you sold it and gotten a 690SMC yet?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

JP Money posted:

Toy only, go with the KTM.

MrZig posted:

This was my conversation I had with Spiff before & after buying the DRZ.

So I bought it. Next conversation:

This is also true. But the 690 is the true crazy sumo (when you take it off the bad fuel map, which like every KTM in the US is on). The DRZ, 610, and any of the KTMs prior to the 690 engine are very different from the 690 itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I mean it will be a commuter primarily. I only go like 1.5 miles though at in-town college town speeds so I'm not sure if the vibrations really matter. I'll probably be <50mph most of the time.

• Locked thread