Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Well, I was just incredibly rude to a customer, and I know it was wrong but it felt so loving good

Guy calls for information on his mortgage, get his loan number, and try verifying address and last 4 of ssn, standard protocol. Except he pitches a bitch fit about it and goes "Do you want me to hold my left left while hopping on my right and covering my right eye?"

:v: "I am sorry sir, but that would be pretty difficult to see through a phone line, so why dont we just stick with the address and last 4 of your ssn?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I've got 3.5 more weeks left before I take a two week vacation, then move to a slightly lower paying, but more professional and laid back call center position doing banking instead of insurance.

I can't wait. My give a drat is busted. I called in the day after I found out I got the new job because that evening I needed to celebrate by getting wasted and singing karaoke. I'm taking extra smoke breaks, my AHT has went from 300 to nearly 400 seconds, and if I feel like taking 5 minutes to go check my simulated baseball teams, I will.

I also am really looking forward to that exit interview. I look forward to telling them that Liberty Mutual (gently caress it, lets reveal) is the most bureaucratic, overbearing, micromanaged and mismanged company I've ever seen. Everyone's either getting fired, about to get fired, or planning to jump ship as quickly as possible. My team is supposed to have 15 people. After I leave, they will have 6.

Oh, and they're taking the Central Region Express claims team in my office (one of the busiest groups), laying them all off within the next 9 months, and hiring new people in St. Louis. But Mountain Express claims will still be there, even though they'll flat out admit they're dead as hell.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Customer of a disconnected account asked me to change or remove the credit card on file, because it belongs to her husband and she had to do a bunch of stuff that some judge ordered her to do regarding removing her husband's info from her accounts. Couldn't do it, probably because the account was disconnected. So customer ended the 30 minute call saying that if I read in the news tomorrow that some woman was killed by her husband in her city, it was probably her.

:(

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

blackmet posted:

I've got 3.5 more weeks left before I take a two week vacation, then move to a slightly lower paying, but more professional and laid back call center position doing banking instead of insurance.

I can't wait. My give a drat is busted. I called in the day after I found out I got the new job because that evening I needed to celebrate by getting wasted and singing karaoke. I'm taking extra smoke breaks, my AHT has went from 300 to nearly 400 seconds, and if I feel like taking 5 minutes to go check my simulated baseball teams, I will.

I also am really looking forward to that exit interview. I look forward to telling them that Liberty Mutual (gently caress it, lets reveal) is the most bureaucratic, overbearing, micromanaged and mismanged company I've ever seen. Everyone's either getting fired, about to get fired, or planning to jump ship as quickly as possible. My team is supposed to have 15 people. After I leave, they will have 6.

Ahahahahahaha godspeed.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Well, I was just incredibly rude to a customer, and I know it was wrong but it felt so loving good

Guy calls for information on his mortgage, get his loan number, and try verifying address and last 4 of ssn, standard protocol. Except he pitches a bitch fit about it and goes "Do you want me to hold my left left while hopping on my right and covering my right eye?"

:v: "I am sorry sir, but that would be pretty difficult to see through a phone line, so why dont we just stick with the address and last 4 of your ssn?"

I can see how the kind of person who's already pitching a fit might consider that rude but so far as I'm concerned that's pretty funny. :)

Peach
Mar 13, 2005

not only am I right, I'm a better penpal than you are.
I've worked in a call centre for almost 4 years. I handed in my notice last week. I can't even begin to explain how awesome I feel.. only 4 more weeks then no more aux times or incompetent managers or ridiculous customers.

I worked in overdue accounts for a credit card company and I hated our customer service department far, far more than customers. None of them think for themselves, they would put through accounts that were $5 overdue or accounts that were overdue 3 months ago and now they wanted to pay monthly instead of weekly. They also love telling customers who claim hardship about how we can freeze interest on their accounts. Yeah, we can, but we aren't going to stop your interest just because you "don't want to pay interest anymore".

I will miss some of the customers though, like this one lady who calls almost every fortnight with a reason why she couldn't pay. Over the last two years there's been maybe 15 deaths of immediate family including both her mother-in-law and father-in-law dying in her arms. Her FIL was resurrected somehow though and developed cancer a few months later.
Another customer is a genuine schizophrenic and emails us (signed "HERNAME, locum") to advise the debt isn't hers and Deepak Chopra owes her a few million dollars. We got a letter from her doctor which included a police report she filed blaming Pakistanis for secretly breaking into her home and rearranging the towels in her linen closet. As a side note - as soon as we were told about the schizophrenia her account was closed/written off.. she just emailed us every so often anyway. It's not like we were harassing a mentally ill and unmedicated lady.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

Wootcannon posted:

Ahahahahahaha godspeed.

This times ten. Just enjoy your honeymoon period where the grass really does seem greener until you realise there's nothing but desert wasteland for a thousand miles in every direction.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Peach posted:

We got a letter from her doctor which included a police report she filed blaming Pakistanis for secretly breaking into her home and rearranging the towels in her linen closet.

This is amazing. What a random ethnicity. From now on, everything is the Laosians' fault.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Effexxor posted:

This is amazing. What a random ethnicity. From now on, everything is the Laosians' fault.

It's a fairly common ethnicity to attack in the UK (although I appreciate the original post referred to prices in dollars so this probably doesn't apply). I know people who have been chased down the street and had things thrown at them just for being a "fuckin' Paki".

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Effexxor posted:

Including mispelgn! Laotians

Topical: maybe it's just me, but does anyone else brighten up and smile when calling in to a call center? IE, trying to present some kind of non-rear end in a top hat mood for the poor schlub on the other end?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Ygolonac posted:

Topical: maybe it's just me, but does anyone else brighten up and smile when calling in to a call center? IE, trying to present some kind of non-rear end in a top hat mood for the poor schlub on the other end?

I did that twice yesterday. I had to call my mobile phone telco because I wondered why my bill was higher than usual (it's on a cap plan so I pay the same amount every month). It turns out that my wife had actually gone over her allotted call minutes for the first time in two years. It's only an extra $17, so no biggie. The guy sounded a bit nonplussed when I said "Whoops, my mistake. Should have read the bill closer."

Then again I called my mobile broadband ISP because they were supposed to send me a final bill after cancelling my service two weeks back, but I got billed for the full month anyway. As it was pointed out to me, the bill was issued BEFORE I cancelled, and the next bill would be my final bill. The confusion arose because it was erroneously sent to my PO Box and got to me a few days after I cancelled. Again, I thanked the dude and apologised for not reading it closer.

I've really found that as long as I know my objective in making a call, am open to the fact that I might be mistaken, and keep calm, these calls go much better. I also like to think that the guy I'm calling got a real rear end in a top hat just before (or will get one after me).

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Something must be in the air, I just got recruited to be a Loan Officer for a local financial institution.

So, I've got one week left at my job with Arthur Middleton Capital Holdings. If you don't already know, we're kind of the evil twin immediate competitor of Suarez (makers of EdenPure). AMCH is located in the same city (Canton, OH), our warehouse is across the street from theirs (in N. Canton, OH), and our CEO is apparently Suarez's CEO's ex-husband or something like that. Apparently, despite all of the underhanded things that go on with my company (real or perceived) we're supposedly still more honest than they are. Go figure.

If you still don't know who AMCH is, they make the Heat Surge Amish Electric Fireplaces and the parent company of PatentHealth (Trigosamine) and The World Reserve Monetary Exchange. If you wish to talk about the company feel free, I'll hold my toungue until I'm completely out of there. This is the company that did "corrective action" for an employee who had a friend (who didn't know the employee worked there) post critical remarks of a product on Facebook.

Not much else to add, except all of the emails I've had to answer which consisted of "please do x to my account" without actually providing me with any account information (like a name).

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Do Amish people actually contribute at all?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
They build the wooden mantles and apparently install the heaters into the mantles. The workshop is in Winesburg, OH. The actual heater/fireplace part is built in China.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I had some great calls today:

:downs: I need a new password!

:) Not a problem, so we've forgotten the password to your ID?

:downs: No, I just need a new password!

:confused: Ok, what do we need to reset the password off?

:downs: I don't know, but when I google new password I get a lot of results. It said I needed one!

:byodame: My iPad isn't turning on!

:) I'm so sorry to hear that, particularly with such a new iPad. So just to confirm, the iPad isn't turning on?

:byodame: Well no, it's on now.

:confused: Oh, ok. So it wasn't turning on when you wanted it to before?

:byodame: And it won't go beyond 66% charge?

:confused: So when you put it on to charge it doesn't go beyond 66% charge?

:byodame: Yes

:confused: What's it sitting on at the moment?

:byodame: 88%!

I also listened in some calls of the centre's Tier 2. It was really fascinating, most of the issues that go up to T2 really could be resolved if the other agent did a tiny bit more probing.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Why can't people learn to read? If you sign a promissary note for your student loan, you are not only agreeing that you read it, but also that you do indeed have to pay it back, and that you have to update your current address. If you don't get your statement for six months because you changed your address and didn't tell us, it doesn't mean you don't have to pay. It means that you violated a legal document that you signed with the government and are probably delinquent. How is this a hard thing to understand. Seriously.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Effexxor posted:

Why can't people learn to read? If you sign a promissary note for your student loan, you are not only agreeing that you read it, but also that you do indeed have to pay it back, and that you have to update your current address. If you don't get your statement for six months because you changed your address and didn't tell us, it doesn't mean you don't have to pay. It means that you violated a legal document that you signed with the government and are probably delinquent. How is this a hard thing to understand. Seriously.

I've actually had one of my student loan companies update my address without me telling them. I litterally just moved, probably days before they issued the statement and hadn't gotten around to changing everything yet, but still got the statement at my new address.

Also, couldn't your collections team skip track the debtors? Last bank I worked at we'd run skip traces if we hadn't been paid in two months.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

I've actually had one of my student loan companies update my address without me telling them. I litterally just moved, probably days before they issued the statement and hadn't gotten around to changing everything yet, but still got the statement at my new address.

Also, couldn't your collections team skip track the debtors? Last bank I worked at we'd run skip traces if we hadn't been paid in two months.

Oh there's a team that does skip tracing. But when you service millions of loans, it's kinda hard to keep everyone's addresses current, so they can really only skip trace the people who are really delinquent and about to default. Still though, why would someone think 'Oh hey, I didn't get a statement in the mail. Guess I don't have to pay!'

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Aren't people the least bit embarrassed being grown adults and requesting that their bill due the day after they get their paychecks?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Aren't people the least bit embarrassed being grown adults and requesting that their bill due the day after they get their paychecks?

Ha, yeah, I had to have that conversation a few tomes with customers. No, it is not our job to manage your money. Yes, you DO have to leave the money in and keep track of your spending and not just withdraw money until your card stops letting you.

Also, the system we had for dealing with missed payments wouldn't let you set a payment date for the last working day of the month (first payment had to be a specific date and if you put, say, 30/06 it would forever be on the 30th and never on the 31st). So this conversation would ensue:

Me: "I've set the payment date for the first of every month..."
Them: "BUT I TOLD YOU I GET PAID AT THE END OF THE MONTH"
Me: "Well, yes, but the first of the month is just a day la-"
Them: "I DON'T HAVE NO MONEY AT THE START OF THE MONTH, I GET PAID AT THE END"

So very tiresome.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I am also really sick of hearing people explain to me that they are on a "fixed income." Literally everyone is on a "fixed income." I have never met anyone whose income was unlimited.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

I am also really sick of hearing people explain to me that they are on a "fixed income." Literally everyone is on a "fixed income." I have never met anyone whose income was unlimited.

I share your sickness! What they mean is "low income", but obviously are too proud to say it. Bit silly to have that kind of pride at the same time insisting that it's too complicated for them to stay within their overdraft limit.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

I always assumed "fixed income" was used to indicate somebody on a pension or disability payment, where an unexpected bill for $500 or whatever was going to upset their finances considerably because the income is exclusively for covering the costs of living. But yeah, it's annoying when people complain about the cheapest option being "so expensive" then complaining when it doesn't do the things a more expensive option would offer.

froglet fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 26, 2011

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

modeski posted:

I share your sickness! What they mean is "low income", but obviously are too proud to say it. Bit silly to have that kind of pride at the same time insisting that it's too complicated for them to stay within their overdraft limit.

I remember having to talk a guy through every direct debit on his account to get him to review his spending. He was housebound and on a couple of different benefits that would have meant he could love reasonably comfortably but had got himself half a dozen magazine subscriptions, a fully loaded satellite TV package, he smoked, etc etc etc. Essentially he was burning all his benefits on non essentials and had got into trouble as a result. Each attempt from me to get him to cancel or downsize something was met with "well that's the only pleasure I get these days!"

I understand it's lovely being housebound but don't piss all your money away on entertainment and then claim you can't pay your bills because we charged you.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
My favorite "I can't believe these people exist" call was a buddy of mine's. I heard him say the phrase "well, reading and writing isn't the only skill that matters in the world" and just kind of looked at him like :stare:

After the call he filled me in about this lady and her billing situation. She is disabled and doesn't drive, her husband is the only one that does drive, so she's listed on the policy but wants to be excluded from coverage in order to get the bill lower. She didn't get a form to take care of that, because all of the paperwork goes to her husband's apartment, above her. He doesn't know how to read or write, at all, but he insists on "being the man" and taking care of the bills for the household, which means he just shreds anything he doesn't recognize without doing anything about it.

Apparently they live in a duplex that they sectioned off, so they could have 2 different mailing addresses, which is part of a welfare benefit scheme she's running, which she was happy to inform us about on a recorded telephone call. :sigh:

Also the other day I was talking to child protective services, they gave me a call because they're handling a case for someone who shuttles his children back and forth to school. They said they're willing to pay for his current insurance bill to help him out.

I needed some additional details, but she let me know that it's hard to get in touch with this guy, he changes cellphones every week, and he's illiterate. I load his policy, and he's explicitly excluded from coverage on it, so there'd be no pay out anyway.

I just don't know how these people..... live?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

modeski posted:

Yeah, I know what they mean, of course, but it's a grating expression.

The other thing I don't get is the people who put debit cards on automatic payment when they rarely keep a balance on their bank account.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
New thing I can't stand:

These loving chiselers who want to "suspend" coverage or alter their policy for the 6 days they aren't going to drive their car because they're on vacation or some other dumbshit reason, so they can save $7.40.

We have to take a phone call, modify a policy contract, re-invoice, take another call, modify the contract back to the way it was, invoice again, just so you can save what amounts to a trip to McDonalds.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
That's a problem with your employer's business model, don't blame your customers. If it's not profitable to allow it then management shouldn't allow it. If it's a legal right then that's the market your employer chose to operate in so they should have factored in having to swallow those costs.

End of the day, your customers have every right to ask for that if their contract allows it and "in this economy" I can fully understand people who need to save wherever they can.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

rolleyes posted:

That's a problem with your employer's business model, don't blame your customers. If it's not profitable to allow it then management shouldn't allow it. If it's a legal right then that's the market your employer chose to operate in so they should have factored in having to swallow those costs.

End of the day, your customers have every right to ask for that if their contract allows it and "in this economy" I can fully understand people who need to save wherever they can.

drat right. I have a nice savings account but Progressive lets me move my due date around and I do that all of the time to optimize the amount of cash I have on hand in case of an emergency.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Moving a due date is one thing, but altering the fundamentals of your coverage is a pain in the rear end. What's more, a lot of the time they forget to call and set it back up which results in angry calls later on when they have a claim that isn't covered. Or if they do something dumb like remove a vehicle or cancel a policy and lose continuous insurance benefits or get fined by the state.

The long and short of it is that it's more of a hassle on both ends than its worth.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Loving Life Partner posted:

Moving a due date is one thing, but altering the fundamentals of your coverage is a pain in the rear end. What's more, a lot of the time they forget to call and set it back up which results in angry calls later on when they have a claim that isn't covered. Or if they do something dumb like remove a vehicle or cancel a policy and lose continuous insurance benefits or get fined by the state.

The long and short of it is that it's more of a hassle on both ends than its worth.

Don't over exaggerate it - all you are doing is putting it on physical damage only. You don't have to do anything with the invoicing being sent as it is all calculated by ProBill. There is no "fundamental" coverage alteration, this is the same as someone wanting to change their deductibles or liability limits.

Edit: There is also nothing about modifying a policy contact, the policy contract is the same no matter what coverages you select. Your coverage selections would change, but not the policy contract.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 27, 2011

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm talking about minimally, all the steps involved so that someone can save a pittance on their insurance, not just by me. I know I shouldn't be annoyed by doing one aspect of my job, but it just seems like a waste of time and resources to save so little, it never amounts to much because of how short a time they invariably are changing the policy.

Also physical damages isn't always available, nor usable to them if it is, unless they want to get fined for removing liability from a vehicle by a state that is harsh as gently caress on that kind of poo poo (Georgia, PA, Maryland et al)

Peach
Mar 13, 2005

not only am I right, I'm a better penpal than you are.
So you're annoyed at customers requesting something they are entitled to ask for, to save money. I don't think you have the right to complain about the amount they're saving either, a lot of my customers would find an extra $7 a big help.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I guess? There's more to it than just flipping a "money saving switch", like I said, a lot of people don't know/understand or in the worse cases, care about the consequences.

Continuous insurance especially is a huge rating factor in your rate, having no insurance for a day fucks you up, having no insurance for a month+ can increase your rate 25-35% for a long time, so they save some money for a week and then pay it back twenty fold over time.

Also they don't care/are too lazy to surrender registration tags so they cancel a vehicle or liability coverages and the state merrily mails them a $50 fine for not having the vehicle insured.

Then they call us and bitch about it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Loving Life Partner posted:

I guess? There's more to it than just flipping a "money saving switch", like I said, a lot of people don't know/understand or in the worse cases, care about the consequences.

Continuous insurance especially is a huge rating factor in your rate, having no insurance for a day fucks you up, having no insurance for a month+ can increase your rate 25-35% for a long time, so they save some money for a week and then pay it back twenty fold over time.

Also they don't care/are too lazy to surrender registration tags so they cancel a vehicle or liability coverages and the state merrily mails them a $50 fine for not having the vehicle insured.

Then they call us and bitch about it.

If you put your car on physical damage only it doesn't cause the policy to lapse, which would mean you still have your continuous coverage.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reading this thread makes me wanna cyber-hug you people. I am absolutely positive I could not deal with so much stupidity in one day.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I am now an accessory to breaking federal law. AWESOME. All because some assclarinet wouldn't have her daughter unlock her account. Oh no, mommy's gonna lie. Then as I start to hang the phone up, I hear "(Accountholder)! What do you want your password to be!?"

This is /after/ I asked her if she was the account holder, AFTER I explained that it was federal law. She sounded far too old to be 18 and she had this horribly smug tone to her voice.

Sure, lady. Go ahead and live thinking 'oh ho ho, I duped that snotty tech support bitch'. I KNEW something was amiss, but I can't really call her on it. :/ Awesome.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

I am now an accessory to breaking federal law. AWESOME. All because some assclarinet wouldn't have her daughter unlock her account. Oh no, mommy's gonna lie. Then as I start to hang the phone up, I hear "(Accountholder)! What do you want your password to be!?"

This is /after/ I asked her if she was the account holder, AFTER I explained that it was federal law. She sounded far too old to be 18 and she had this horribly smug tone to her voice.

Sure, lady. Go ahead and live thinking 'oh ho ho, I duped that snotty tech support bitch'. I KNEW something was amiss, but I can't really call her on it. :/ Awesome.

Luckily we can call them on it. We can just tell them we feel that this is a security measure better handled at the branch and freeze their online banking until they go into the branch with a photo ID.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Yeah, I was a bit worried about posting that but I did all that I could. If she tries to pull it again, I'll be able to do something I suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Aerofallosov posted:

Exactly what the guy above me said. I'm sure even the most insane love the customer call centre wouldn't be harsh on you for making them go in branch. Even the most basic of manager understands, unhappy customers cost the company money and makes upper management mad at them, however, fraud, regulatory fines and bad publicity costs the company gently caress tons of money (in comparison) and makes senior management even more mad at them. That, and depending on the law in your area, they might be just as culpable as you.