Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
gently caress my rear end, I made two orders on Bricklink to help me finish out the SW medical frigate, and I forgot to order the inverted wedges I'm missing. How do I miss the two biggest pieces that I'm missing?

Is there an easier way to coordinate buying pieces off your wishlists across multiple sellers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Saint Sputnik posted:

But it leaves room for a lot of outliers and the possibility of never hitting the monster or being one-shot killed. No fun. I could make the stats more complicated by injecting agility and dodging, or make static levels for monsters you'd have to roll to overcome (and maybe dynamic levels for player characters), but I'd rather keep it simple. Any thoughts?

Re-roll 6s and add the second roll, too. Call it a critical.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

We were loading old computer CRTs onto the surplus truck at the high school today when I saw these on the loading dock.

They were supposed to go to our middle school, so they're waiting for the truck. Two pallets of Lego Education Mindstorms.
I was tempted. So tempted.

We also found a 1957 Paillard Bolex H-16 Reflex 16mm movie camera, amongst all sorts of basically worthless 1980s camcorders, VHS players, and slide projectors, which ebay tells me is worth somewhere between $200 and $1000, which was pretty sweet. With the case and it looks drat near unused.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 16, 2011

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Pyroclastic posted:

We were loading old computer CRTs onto the surplus truck at the high school today when I saw these on the loading dock.

They were supposed to go to our middle school, so they're waiting for the truck. Two pallets of Lego Education Mindstorms.
I was tempted. So tempted.

Thats nuts, I imagine it must look like that in the back of the lego store too.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 16, 2011

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Pyroclastic posted:

We also found a 1957 Paillard Bolex H-16 Reflex 16mm movie camera, amongst all sorts of basically worthless 1980s camcorders, VHS players, and slide projectors, which ebay tells me is worth somewhere between $200 and $1000, which was pretty sweet. With the case and it looks drat near unused.
gently caress the Lego, that camera is a sweet find!

(Did I just say that? In this thread?!)

Anyway, some Toronto area news, there's something called BrickFête going on at the end of July for AFOLs only, over at Humber College's Lakeshore & Kipling campus.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

Wow, I can't tell what's really motorized and what's VFX.

I'm stuck on creating a workable combat system for my dungeon-diving rules. My original idea was, you roll a six-sided die for you and the monster, and whoever has the higher roll adds the difference between the rolls to their weapon damage, then subtract that from the other guy's armor value. The result is taken out of the loser's HP. So like, imagine you have 2 weapon damage, 2 armor, and 6 HP; monster has 3 weapon damage, 1 armor and 5 HP. You roll 5, monster rolls 3, you do 3 damage. Seems fair, means most combats would last enough rounds to be interesting but not so many they'd become boring.

But it leaves room for a lot of outliers and the possibility of never hitting the monster or being one-shot killed. No fun. I could make the stats more complicated by injecting agility and dodging, or make static levels for monsters you'd have to roll to overcome (and maybe dynamic levels for player characters), but I'd rather keep it simple. Any thoughts?

The more dice you roll, the closer to a proper bell curve you get. 2D6 is going to average "7," and 3d6 is going to average "10." Outliers get more and more rare, too. You've got the same chance of rolling a 1, 3, or 6 on 1d6, but it's much less likely you'll roll a 2 or 12 on 2D6.

The next step would be to figure out how likely you want hits to be. Is someone who's skill or whatever 1 point higher, does that represent 5%? 10%? 20%? I know this all seems pretty complicated for a simple lego game, but you should put SOME thought into how hard it should be to beat someone who's tougher or weaker than you.

This page does a great job of breaking down the odds when rolling 3d6 :

http://www.tangentialcold.com/rpg/3d6_Odds.html

If you're using 3D6, and your base skill is 10, then someone who's at 11 is 12% "better" than you. If you go with 2d6, and your base skill is 7, someone who's an 8 is about 14% better than you.

It sounds like 2d6 is closer to what you're looking for; simple and easy but without rolling too many dice or dealing with too many modifiers.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress
10221 Super Star Destroyer box photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nannanz/5840839429/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Pagan posted:

The more dice you roll, the closer to a proper bell curve you get. 2D6 is going to average "7," and 3d6 is going to average "10." Outliers get more and more rare, too. You've got the same chance of rolling a 1, 3, or 6 on 1d6, but it's much less likely you'll roll a 2 or 12 on 2D6.

That's good, I'll probably use that. The even simpler alternative - one roll each, highest simply applies attack damage minus opponent's armor value - isn't feasible because all armor/attack values are designed to be so low... it's very likely to get nowhere if you have 2 attack and the monster has 2 armor.

My other concern with this approach is that it doesn't allow back-and-forth attacking - who actually attacks each round is entirely up to the dice. It's fine with me since simple back-and-forth would kinda be boring as hell, but there might be some frustrations I'm not anticipating.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

That's good, I'll probably use that. The even simpler alternative - one roll each, highest simply applies attack damage minus opponent's armor value - isn't feasible because all armor/attack values are designed to be so low... it's very likely to get nowhere if you have 2 attack and the monster has 2 armor.

My other concern with this approach is that it doesn't allow back-and-forth attacking - who actually attacks each round is entirely up to the dice. It's fine with me since simple back-and-forth would kinda be boring as hell, but there might be some frustrations I'm not anticipating.

What about.. attack values are pluses and minuses, and everything is based off 7 (for 2d6)? So, an average guy might have +1 attack. For every point at 7 or higher, he scores on point of damage. Against someone with no armor, if he rolls an 8, he adds +1 for his attack, so total 9.. minus 7 means he does 2 points of damage. If he rolled an 11, he'd do 5 points of damage.

Actually, to make things easy, just give everyone an armor value, with 7 being average. You just have to beat their armor value to score damage. Someone with armor 7 is average, maybe bare skin would be Armor 5, but a knight in full plate might be armor 9 or 10. You just roll 2 dice, add your attack modifier, and compare it to their armor. Whatever you won by, that's how much damage you did.

Add in some neat features for critical success and failure; maybe a critical failure (natural snake-eyes) means your opponent gets a free attack, critical success (natural 12's) means they only get half their armor.

For initiative / back and forth, there are a few simple ways to handle it. You could give everyone an initiative score and they just go in order, or add their Init to a d6 roll and that is the order. Maybe if the attacker rolls doubles while attacking, his opponent gets to try to attack, too, just to throw a little randomness in there.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Got my 32-year-old Galaxy Explorer today. Seller advertised it as 100% complete, but it was missing three major parts: a 6x12 plate, a 4x8 plate, and a 4x8 right wing (though he included an extra left wing...) If he doesn't come through, the pieces will only cost me about a buck on bricklink.
The pieces are in beautiful shape, though. It was obviously never displayed assembled for any significant length of time. The gold on the white minifigs' chests is virtually all gone, but the reds still have most of theirs.

Kinda funny how straightforward the build was compared to recent stuff, and it made me realize just how old some of these part designs were. I didn't know the 4x4 slope bricks existed way back then.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

radd posted:

That is sexy as hell. And it's just the motivation I need to finish my Imperial Shuttle. Can't buy the Executor if I haven't finished the Shuttle!

I love Star Wars Lego. :3:

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang

radd posted:

Oh my check that to-scale star destroyer next to it...

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Theres no way the top parts there are one piece, is there? :psyduck:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah, you can see panels in the high res shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nannanz/5840839429/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Still, that's a hell of a lot of :geno: grey there.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I just built the Slave 1. It's so awesome. :3:

Poor Bossk though. He helps load the ship up and then what? There's no place for him on the ship!

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 18, 2011

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

radd posted:

Oh, goddammit, Eurobricks' thread says it's going to cost $400 US, and more pictures show some drat minifig features inside the ship. It's at least $100 overpriced. The Death Star II had 300 more pieces (of similar variety) and is $100 cheaper.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Pyroclastic posted:

It's at least $100 overpriced.
Wonder where all that money goes....

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
My fiance just picked up Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga for the 360. I think we've had more fun in the last two days with it than in the last year.

Now he wants to go empty his bank account on Lego at TRU. Sigh.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I know that Star Wars LEGO is marked up, I didn't realise just how much.

Visiting my local toy store this week, I spied a Fire Station (the deluxe modular one, ~2200pc.) for $300. The same store had a Tantive IV (~1400pc.) for $320.

For any ausgoons interested, this is Toy World at Eastland, Vic. They are the best LEGO stockist I've found in the area. They also had a big Mars Mission space ship for some reason.

\/\/\/ This is Australia. Toys R Us Australia is terribly overpriced and understocked here. :smith:

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 20, 2011

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Seriously don't buy Star Wars Lego until it's on sale at TRU or Lego.com or something. On its own, it's ridiculously overpriced, but if you can get it on a buy one get 50% off sale or similar, it's at least reasonably cost effective. And NEVER buy sets when they first come out. There will be plenty of them at your local TRU, and you'll be able to snag them on sale regardless of how Lego-friendly your local community is.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Just picked up a mystical creatures used, complete with box. However the fire breathe is very lose, is there a trick to make sure it doesn't flail around and drop off?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I like dis, the random angles and orientation of everything is fantastic.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=476005

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

InfinEight posted:

I like dis, the random angles and orientation of everything is fantastic.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=476005

I was gonna list all the things in it I thought were clever, but there's just too drat much.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

radd posted:

:swoon: That is beautiful and I can't wait to throw that alongside my star destroyer.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I saw the Super Star Destroyer, built, at Brickworld Chicago this weekend. Pretty amazing - though ultimately smaller than I expected (I guess I expected it to be the size of the London Bridge or something). The mini-scale regular Star Destroyer is adorable.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Went to the Bellevue store today, since I have the rest of the week off. I picked up the Master Builder Level 1 kit, a large PAB cup (nothing particularly interesting in it), and something I hadn't seen before, this calendar. All those numbers on 2x4 bricks could be handy. It also comes with a Minifigures S1 Skateboarder and Cheerleader, which I believe is the first instance of the blind-bag minifigs appearing in sets.

The L1 kit's expensive for 178 pieces, but the tip manual is nicely printed, and I want to support Lego in trying to introduce more advanced techniques they don't often include in System sets to younger builders. I'll be subscribing for the subsequent kits in the next couple days.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Thanks to TRU my pile is growing again.

I should buy another lighthouse... everything must be in twos!

\/\/That shuttle really is awesome and I hope I can get one before they're gone.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 22, 2011

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
It's all done. I love it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Yessssssssssssssssssssss.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

I thought Tobias was the funniest thing, and then I saw Franklin... :roflolmao:

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?

Also from the Arrested Development guy, a great Futurama mural which includes Seymour. Fry's dog. :smith:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Why isn't there a Futurama line of Lego?! Endless possibilities.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I assume the same guy as those did this one?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Why isn't there a Futurama line of Lego?! Endless possibilities.

Because we can't have nice things is why. We get Lego Cars and Megablocks gets Starcraft. :(

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

With how expensive licensed themes are, I'm glad Lego still makes awesome in-house themes, like Pharaoh's Quest and Alien Conquest. Imagine how expensive even those themes would be if they were licensed versions of The Mummy and Independence Day/War of the Worlds/etc.

\/\/Meh, I was trying to think of movies/books/series that Alien Conquest is similar to :p

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 24, 2011

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

InfinEight posted:

With how expensive licensed themes are, I'm glad Lego still makes awesome in-house themes, like Pharaoh's Quest and Alien Conquest. Imagine how expensive even those themes would be if they were licensed versions of The Mummy and Independence Day/War of the Worlds/etc.

Yeah I hear it's a bitch to get the rights to War of the Worlds :laugh:

Ingraman
Jul 6, 2005
Arrogant bastard
Just got this dude, pretty happy with it. Helmet is custom, and I think armor and belt is too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

hxcorpse posted:

Also from the Arrested Development guy, a great Futurama mural which includes Seymour. Fry's dog. :smith:

Seymour was a blatant grab at tears and I hate him for that. Luck of the Fryish was by far a more emotionally powerful episode.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

Seymour was a blatant grab at tears and I hate him for that. Luck of the Fryish was by far a more emotionally powerful episode.

Thank god I'm not the only one feeling that way.

gently caress Seymour. :colbert: gently caress Fry's idiot parents even more.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
A while back I made a Pokeball. (Two, actually, but c'mon, the one on the right can just be ignored. It never existed.)

But I wanted better. I finally found it. I used this Flickr post, which has a full .lxf file for step-by-step instruction.

Horray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pharoah's Quest finally hit shelves here in Australia. :toot: Picked up Flying Mummy Attack.