Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Feenix posted:

Posted just today:

http://lifehacker.com/5815138/why-you-shouldnt-use-a-debit-card-when-paying-for-a-hotel-or-rental-car

Sorry to answer your question with a link, but it seems tailor-made for you.

No problem, that answered it. Crud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Neofelis posted:

Hey, would anyone happen to know or have an educated guess about the country in this photo?

I'd need to know it for a competition (and using any means possible is alright so I'm not breaking the rules). Also, that means there's six and a half hours left to find the answer.

There's really no more clues than what is in the photo, except possibly the fact that it was named street-view.jpg. That makes me think it's probably one of the countries that's in Google Street View, but it's entirely possible it's not. I have a hunch for the country, but I'm sort of hoping there's a local goon that could even link the place for confirmation.

I can't really help, other than ideas for things to look into.
The car is definitely with right hand traffic. It's just divided by a median which the cow is in. The cow is a holstein. It's mostly found in Europe, N America, S America, and S. Africa, and Australia. Unsure if holsteins are common in Asia or the rest of Africa. I would find out about the trees also. The ones in the median and the large one in the background. Are they identifiable and located in specific continents or zones? You could see if there is a thread for indentifying plants/trees. Also, you can see if there is a thread for indentifying cars and use it find out as many models of vehicles as possible in the picture to figure out what country those cars can be commonly found in.

Are there any Hindu right side driving countries? Though, the cow could be a red herring.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Neofelis posted:

Hey, would anyone happen to know or have an educated guess about the country in this photo?

I'd need to know it for a competition (and using any means possible is alright so I'm not breaking the rules). Also, that means there's six and a half hours left to find the answer.

There's really no more clues than what is in the photo, except possibly the fact that it was named street-view.jpg. That makes me think it's probably one of the countries that's in Google Street View, but it's entirely possible it's not. I have a hunch for the country, but I'm sort of hoping there's a local goon that could even link the place for confirmation.

I think most cattle in India are Zebu - they have a hump. I might be wrong.

The trees look pretty warm-weather to me. I'd say they at least live in a seldom-or-never-frost climate.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
The cars all appear to be late model, it looks like there's good lighting in the intersection, the road is paved, though not perfect... if this is outside of the first world then it's in one of the tonier areas of India, maybe a business district in Bangalore or Mumbai.

But I think my guess is "United States". Or Mexico.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Golbez posted:

The cars all appear to be late model, it looks like there's good lighting in the intersection, the road is paved, though not perfect... if this is outside of the first world then it's in one of the tonier areas of India, maybe a business district in Bangalore or Mumbai.

But I think my guess is "United States". Or Mexico.

India drives on the left hand side, also.

Edit - Want to add I just looked at hundreds of license plates here...
http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/

The license plate in the picture looks to do be darker at the bottom and lighter on top. The dark spot looks to be a trailer hitch. To me this seems to indicate the license plate is somewhat decorative in style. Decorative plates seem to be almost exclusive to the Western Hemisphere though I think I saw others in countries like South Africa and perhaps the philippines.
If the contest is purposely being obtuse it could be inside an Indian nation inside the US. They have their own license plates.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 24, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
He said he only had 6.5 hours to solve it, and that's gone now - hope he comes back and posts the solution!

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009
^^^ Wouldn't leave you hanging.

randyest posted:

I can't help you beyond the clues others have already mentioned, but the idea that there's a "competition" like this sounds fascinating. Is it a public thing you can tell us more about?

The competition itself was open, just required a correct answer to the initial question by an SMS (and basic Finnish understanding...) to participate. After that they started eliminating all who answer wrong on each round (twice a week, started early this month), and the last man standing wins an Apple Store gift card worth €1,000. I can't remember how many people there were initially, but it might have been around 3,000. I'm pretty sure there were some 800 people on one of the rounds early on (second round?), but for this round the lot was already down to 75. Let's see how many there are left next week.

Earlier questions have for example included knowing who owns 3% of Facebook, and what's the name of the magazine Brad is reading on a bus in "Terror in Copper Valley". Mostly quite easily googleable things, so far, but this time it seemed to need some luck.

As for the correct answer for this round (which just ended), it was Mexico. The initial hunch was caught by noticing the climate, the yellow bricks at the side of the road, and the colour and shape of the lamp posts, since all those could be seen in parts of Mexico on Street View. It also helped that a #trackmania IRC goon thought the cars seemed American and that the guesses in this thread seemed to indicate towards North America besides India and its neighbours. So, thank you all! (But I hope this didn't help anyone else. :tinfoil:)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Neofelis posted:

As for the correct answer for this round (which just ended), it was Mexico.
VICTORY

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Crap, I actually put I would guess Mexico if I had to pick a country in my last post edit and erased it before I submitted, because I didn't want to look foolish if I was completely wrong. My guess was based on the license plate, trailer hitch on the suv, trees and lack of signs.

Mexicans will put a trailer hitch on anything, and that suv probably wouldn't come standard with it in the US.
And after an hour of looking at license plates I really felt Mexico and the US were the only 2 countries with a plate like that, except for Manitoba in canada.
No way there's going to be no visible signs of any kind at building or intersection like that here in the US.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Is there an insect id thread anywhere? I found a weird bug.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

I don't think there is, but you are welcome to post it here or make a thread. If you do make a thread, note in the OP that I said it's okay.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Critter Quest over in GBS fills this role.

quote:

Which dystopian film(s) feature confessional booths that are monitored by the authorities? The one I'm thinking of has a computerized religious sounding voice that says soothing crap to the confessing person.
I thought it might be Logan's Run, but it could also be THX1138, or The Island?
This is definitely THX 1138, but you will generally get a better response in the identify a movie megathread over in CineD.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Are there any media players that can dock nicely to the taskbar with volume/seek controls in the taskbar in Windows 7?

the party god
Feb 23, 2011
What's the word for someone who's obsessed with mental illness and thinks they're a psychopath/acts like they're crazy for attention? I know this woman who takes "Do you have ___ mental illness?" tests online and constantly brags about liking pointy things and trying to hang herself 'because it's fun'. What do you call people who pretend to be crazy? Other than 'attention-seeking smug idiots', of course.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Münchausen syndrome

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
What you tend to hear about more - at least in procedural dramas - is "Münchausen by proxy", which is where they don't seek the attention directly, but rather, they harm a child or family member and thus get attention that way. Lightly poisoning your child so everyone gives you comfort as you go through the stress of having an ill kid, for example.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Are there any media players that can dock nicely to the taskbar with volume/seek controls in the taskbar in Windows 7?

I believe WinAmp will do this pretty well, but I haven't used it in quite some time.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

hooah posted:

I believe WinAmp will do this pretty well, but I haven't used it in quite some time.

It doesn't, or at least I've to find a way to make it happen. Media players don't dock to the Windows 7 taskbar very well.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I don't think there is, but you are welcome to post it here or make a thread. If you do make a thread, note in the OP that I said it's okay.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Critter Quest over in GBS fills this role.

And thank you.

I'll post them in this thread and that one, and see what happens.

Found this little dude in the tidewater region of Virginia, about 45 miles north east of Richmond. Unfortunately I wasn't at home so I couldn't grab my camera and had to use my phone.

topside close up

bottomside close up

size reference

The strangest thing about this little guy was his defense mechanism. See where his "body" meets his "head"? if you touched him, he would draw in all his legs and his attennas and then he would bend back at that joint and pop himself up in the air with an audible click. And he was a tough little thing, too. His shell felt harder than any bug I've ever felt.

Help me out bugologists.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

It's Alaus oculatus, the "eyed click beetle," I'd say. The defense mechanism thing inspired me to check Wikipedia for click beetles, and one of the photos on that article looked like a dead ringer for your buddy there.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

TetsuoTW posted:

It's Alaus oculatus, the "eyed click beetle," I'd say. The defense mechanism thing inspired me to check Wikipedia for click beetles, and one of the photos on that article looked like a dead ringer for your buddy there.

Yeah, I got the very vague "Click beetle" article link as my answer in the Critterquest thread, and I'll ask the same thing here:

I noticed reading the wiki that the larvae of some species can be serious agricultural pests. The person who owns the land I found this dude on have a pretty hardcore garden that they use to avoid buying vegetables and a ton of really intricate and expensive landscaping that they invested a lot of time and money on.

Anyone know if this happens to be one of those species?

edit: nevermind, link says their larvae are predatory. looks like they are actually beneficial to have around in this case :)

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 25, 2011

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

YggiDee posted:

It doesn't, or at least I've to find a way to make it happen. Media players don't dock to the Windows 7 taskbar very well.

Which is a shame. I love the hell out of the new taskbar but I really miss this feature.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I'm a European looking to buy a specific instrument from either eBay or a bass forum called TalkBass. The instrument hasn't been manufactured since the 90s so I have to buy it used from a private person (don't know if that's the right legal term in English). Now, I've never used PayPal before, and since the instrument will probably cost around 400 $, I want to make sure that if despite all my precautions (checking seller feedback etc.) I get scammed, I do get my money back.

So, the question is, is it in some way easier and more secure to go through the whole claiming a dispute process via eBay rather than just taking jpgs of emails between one person to another? The thing is, it's easier for me to find the exact type of an instrument via the bass forum rather than search on eBay daily hoping to find the right one. On the other hand, I'd feel safer with the eBay backing me up with all the bidding history and whatnot.

What would you do in my situation?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

These Loving Eyes posted:

I want to make sure that if despite all my precautions (checking seller feedback etc.) I get scammed, I do get my money back.

For $25 extra you can have excellent security: https://www.escrow.com/

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

baquerd posted:

For $25 extra you can have excellent security: https://www.escrow.com/
If you want to use escrow.com with PayPal both buyer and seller need to be in the US, according to the site.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

If you want to use escrow.com with PayPal both buyer and seller need to be in the US, according to the site.

Dang, that would've been too perfect. :(

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

These Loving Eyes posted:

What would you do in my situation?

I always use paypal with my credit card as the funding source. If something goes wrong you can file a dispute with the credit card company and let them kick some rear end on your behalf.

e: if it's a private sale disputes might get hairy though so mostly you should be looking at the guy's reputation. If I were spending more than $100 on something from an individual, I definitely would be giving them a phone call first to check everything out at the very least.

Pweller fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 25, 2011

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Windows Media Player did this, but I can't get it to work when I just tried it now. The Zune software does this apparently, but it's not my favorite.

Some players including WMP and Winamp also have controls on the icon if you hover over it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Timber Wolf posted:

:words: vidja games
I think I've got something worked out, but I don't think anyone else here really cares; why don't you shoot me an email at gravitypike@aim.com? I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll try to get back to you by Sunday or Monday night.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I unplugged the screen from my laptop because it's cracked and I need to replace it.

I hooked it up via hdmi to my television and I just get a slightly garbled HP splash screen.

Am I permanently hosed and what should I do?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Have you tried connecting it to an external monitor while the screen is still connected? It might be that the BIOS is preventing the laptop to boot without all its hardware connected?

Edit: I have a battery question-
I want to replace a watch battery but it was missing... all I have to go by is the size of the mark on the watch case. Its smaller in diameter (and probably thinner) than a CR2016. Any ideas what size I need?

gwar3k1 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 25, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I unplugged the screen from my laptop because it's cracked and I need to replace it.

I hooked it up via hdmi to my television and I just get a slightly garbled HP splash screen.

Am I permanently hosed and what should I do?

You may have better luck in the tech support subforum (linked to rules thread so you don't miss the template).

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

gwar3k1 posted:

Have you tried connecting it to an external monitor while the screen is still connected? It might be that the BIOS is preventing the laptop to boot without all its hardware connected?

Just tried this and it worked, thanks!

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
TVs dont always show the bios and other text mode screens right. If you're seeing it's garbled and immediately powering down, go ahead and let it boot into windows and see what happens.

edit: oops never mind.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've seen some stuff in the .gifs thread with people dumping hot water into liquid nitrogen, and can't figure out (nor find via Google) what the reaction (chemical or physical) is here. Any help?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Water freezes and/or nitrogen evaporates? Doesn't sound too complicated thermodynamics to me, unless there's something involved I don't know of!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SnowblindFatal posted:

Water freezes and/or nitrogen evaporates? Doesn't sound too complicated thermodynamics to me, unless there's something involved I don't know of!

I guess I just wasn't sure which was boiling, but it certainly makes much more sense for it to be the nitrogen flash-boiling. For some reason I think my brain was stuck on it being chemical.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Selavi posted:

Some players including WMP and Winamp also have controls on the icon if you hover over it.

Yeah, it seems that implementing that is relatively easy to do but actually making toolbars is a pain in the rear end since no one seems to have done it, at least not properly. That way works, kind of, but it takes like a second (my precious second :qq:) to come up and the only options are the standard stop/play/pause/skip.

I might just end up seeing if I can get something that works with the sidebar and use that garbage.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

spixxor posted:

Also-I experienced my first episode of sleep paralysis last night, and it was loving terrifying. Is there anything in particular that causes it and can I do anything to lessen the chances of it happening again because gently caress that poo poo.

Try not to sleep on your back. I've heard that sleeping on your back encourages weird sleep poo poo to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuimak
Sep 7, 2006
Sorry if I'm oblivious.

I'm trying to find a thread or somewhere on the forums about running a business. I "inherited" a clothing store from my pops and I've been doing things his way for years. His way isn't bad but I'm always looking for new ideas.

Even links outside the forums would be nice. Thanks.