Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

EDIT- WHOOPS. meant to be in verizon thread.

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

poxin posted:

So unless I misunderstood, I thought you could hold down the shutter button on the Evo 3D and launch the camera without unlocking the phone? Is there a setting I might be missing somewhere? It seems almost pointless if I have to click the power button, unlock it, then hold the shutter button to launch the camera app.

You cannot launch the camera with the shutter release if the phone is locked/screen off. You can, however, hit the power button, then drag the camera icon into the unlock circle to unlock directly into the camera app. Gets into the app very quickly, by the time you've turned the phone sideways its pretty much ready to go.

I'm loving this thing so far. The 3D effect works pretty well for me, though it definitely has a limited viewing angle/distance. The quick launch from the lock screen is great, the weather widget is incredible, and god it is ABOUT loving TIME I've got an autofocus camera on my phone.

The Sprint employee who helped us out was kind of a bone head, I'm kind of mad that the nice, knowledgable sales manager that sold me the pre-order and kept me updated wasn't the one to finally ring us up for the phones. The sale itself went pretty much as expected, sales pitches for everything, "better buy all your accessories now in case they run out," (:psyduck: ) etc. Then, he asked for the Pres. "What do you need them for?" "Oh, we just have to complete the transfer." Uh, ok, that's odd but here, I guess. He walks into the back room with both of our Pres and both new phones, comes back out with mine, and after another 5-10 minutes of apparent issue with my girlfriend's, comes back out to apologize for the delay. I asked what exactly he needed to do with the Pres, and he loving was transferring contacts to the new phones. :doh: Now I have duplicates of all of my Google contacts, nicely synced to Google. I think I'm mistaken about the duplicates being synced to my Google account, but there are still dups of everyone on the phone. Is there a quick way to delete all locally stored contacts?

Why the gently caress isn't that something you would ask me, instead of just all official-businessing it, ignoring the fact that he apparently doesn't really understand that the Pre works much the same way re: contact aggregation. Thanks anyway, I'll be sure to inflate your score in the survey, you doofus.

My girlfriend picked up a Nexus S today and is digging it as well. That Pentile screen would drive me loving bonkers, but I don't think she even notices.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 25, 2011

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Not sure if this is the thread, but here goes...

I got my Echo today. I pushed my contacts over bluetooth from my Touch Pro 2. I went to contacts on the Echo; they werent there. I imported from SD card. BAM they all show up. Then they slowly disappear. Like they just slowly disappear. I've narrowed it down to my google account deleting them, but the only fix I've found is not syncing my google account with my phone. That seems stupid. I thought syncing would you know Sync the information between the phone and the account. Not just delete everything off of one in favor of the other. Is there a way to copy my contacts to my google account maybe?

also my phone app doesn't pop up people's names when I start typing them. Like to call "mom" I hit "666" but it doesn't find "mom" it just puts "666". Is this an android thing or a Echo thing? Can I download a new phone app or dialer app or something to fix it?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Dialer One will let you do the t9 name poo poo you're talking about. As for the contacts, try exporting them as a .cvs or whatever file and importing them into Google via your computer. Then they should all sync down to your phone.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

RodShaft posted:

Not sure if this is the thread, but here goes...

I got my Echo today. I pushed my contacts over bluetooth from my Touch Pro 2. I went to contacts on the Echo; they werent there. I imported from SD card. BAM they all show up. Then they slowly disappear. Like they just slowly disappear. I've narrowed it down to my google account deleting them, but the only fix I've found is not syncing my google account with my phone. That seems stupid. I thought syncing would you know Sync the information between the phone and the account. Not just delete everything off of one in favor of the other. Is there a way to copy my contacts to my google account maybe?

also my phone app doesn't pop up people's names when I start typing them. Like to call "mom" I hit "666" but it doesn't find "mom" it just puts "666". Is this an android thing or a Echo thing? Can I download a new phone app or dialer app or something to fix it?
You have a WinMo 6.x phone, whose only redeeming quality is having the best Exchange ActiveSync support in the smartphone world. Connect your TP2 to wifi and sync your contacts amd calendar with GoogleSync using Exchange.

address is m.google.com and your signon is xxxxx@gmail.com I think you leave domain blank if you entered @gmail.com

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is it safe to ignore the people saying I should let the phone charge all the way then let it drain and repeat to maximize battery life? I figured this was just some urban myth as it got phased out of practice a long time ago, but I wanted to make sure.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

sirbeefalot posted:

Is there a quick way to delete all locally stored contacts?

Log into gmail on your computer, click contacts, then more actions. Click Find and merge duplicates.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Is it safe to ignore the people saying I should let the phone charge all the way then let it drain and repeat to maximize battery life? I figured this was just some urban myth as it got phased out of practice a long time ago, but I wanted to make sure.

You don't have to do this all the time (that's what you had to do a long time ago, with NiCD batteries) but if you do that when you first get the phone it will help calibrate the battery meter, so it gives you an accurate idea of how much power is left.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

sirbeefalot posted:

The Sprint employee who helped us out was kind of a bone head, I'm kind of mad that the nice, knowledgable sales manager that sold me the pre-order and kept me updated wasn't the one to finally ring us up for the phones. The sale itself went pretty much as expected, sales pitches for everything, "better buy all your accessories now in case they run out," (:psyduck: ) etc. Then, he asked for the Pres. "What do you need them for?" "Oh, we just have to complete the transfer." Uh, ok, that's odd but here, I guess. He walks into the back room with both of our Pres and both new phones, comes back out with mine, and after another 5-10 minutes of apparent issue with my girlfriend's, comes back out to apologize for the delay. I asked what exactly he needed to do with the Pres, and he loving was transferring contacts to the new phones. :doh: Now I have duplicates of all of my Google contacts, nicely synced to Google. I think I'm mistaken about the duplicates being synced to my Google account, but there are still dups of everyone on the phone. Is there a quick way to delete all locally stored contacts?

Why the gently caress isn't that something you would ask me, instead of just all official-businessing it, ignoring the fact that he apparently doesn't really understand that the Pre works much the same way re: contact aggregation. Thanks anyway, I'll be sure to inflate your score in the survey, you doofus.

My guess is he was new to his job and wanted to take the extra mile to satisfy you. While it's good in theory, he should have asked you since it does have that potential to create double contacts.

Can't say about the quick way to delete them because I'm somewhat new myself still :v: Sorry!

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
I have to say, I was really surprised there wasn't even a line when I grabbed the EVO3D. And this is coming from the only Sprint store that opens at 8 in the area(all the others are third parties). I guess the meh reviews and the fact tons are still on contract with the first EVO. That's not a good thing if you are bent on getting custom ROMs when they finally unlock the thing for us.

EDIT: And the fact that after talking with one of the managers waiting for the activation, they actually only had 35 of the 3D on hand on the 24th. That's including some reserved for preorder and employees. Did they not plan to make this phone reasonably hyped or stocked and are only putting this phone out there for the people that have an upgrade but want a better EVO? They threw tons of commercials and crap up for the Nexus and that was practically last gen before it even came to Sprint.

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 25, 2011

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
What is the point of spinning all the home screens around really fast? You always end up at the same screen you were on. Is it just to look cool and show off that it is lag-free? Or is there a purpose that I haven't realized?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
There is no purpose other than the wowfactor, which disappears immediately after you realize it does nothing but waste your time.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Nuts and Gum posted:

There is no purpose other than the wowfactor, which disappears immediately after you realize it does nothing but waste your time.

That is the essence of sense.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
Wow, sorry if its been posted before but I just noticed something pretty cool. Youtube will automatically convert your 3d videos into the red/blue glasses kind when you upload them from the 3d, so you can view them on a regular computer with a cheap pair of 3d glasses. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt48r5i13QM :3:

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
More ways to post cat videos!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sonicice posted:

What is the point of spinning all the home screens around really fast? You always end up at the same screen you were on. Is it just to look cool and show off that it is lag-free? Or is there a purpose that I haven't realized?

The point is that it is so addicting to just mindlessly sit there twirling the carousel. I can't stop whenever I hold the phone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I might be wrong but you can't have scrollable wallpaper with Sense 3.0? Why would they do this? There should be a choice. I like the new lockscreen (but I like new MIUI lockscreen better,) and the weather is cool. That said after talking to my wife about what she wants I put ADW on her phone and customized until she was happy.

Also I was running Sense ROMs until February this year. I went to CM7 at that time and now on MIUI. Playing with her phone was like oh cool Sense been awhile, but within 5 minutes I was like thank God I am on a non-Sense ROM now. Once the 3D is unlocked I will be doing the same for her.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

nate fisher posted:

I might be wrong but you can't have scrollable wallpaper with Sense 3.0? Why would they do this? There should be a choice. I like the new lockscreen (but I like new MIUI lockscreen better,) and the weather is cool. That said after talking to my wife about what she wants I put ADW on her phone and customized until she was happy. \
The wallpaper doesn't scroll because the screens wrap around when scrolling through them.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
RE: Evo 3D

I come from an OLD Blackberry Curve and need to get used to the shorter battery life. I used to be able to leave my Blackberry on for 3 days before it ran out of battery (very low usage).

A lot of people are reporting much battery life than I am experiencing at this point. I went from 94%->89% just now after an hour off the wall and I spent ~20min browsing the web, the rest of the time it was on standby. :smith:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Give it about a week to settle down. It seems to take a little while for the system to get used to the battery, as far as calibration and accurate reporting are concerned.

Charge it every night.

Modern smartphones are crazy fast computers, they use a lot of power.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

fagalicious posted:

Log into gmail on your computer, click contacts, then more actions. Click Find and merge duplicates.

How will that affect contacts that are stored on his phone?

Rurutia posted:

I come from an OLD Blackberry Curve and need to get used to the shorter battery life. I used to be able to leave my Blackberry on for 3 days before it ran out of battery (very low usage).

A lot of people are reporting much battery life than I am experiencing at this point. I went from 94%->89% just now after an hour off the wall and I spent ~20min browsing the web, the rest of the time it was on standby. :smith:

The first week or so there's going to be some wildly inaccurate battery reporting and also some breaking in of the battery. As an example, yesterday I went from 100% charge to 40% in about 3 hours (starting at 8AM) with virtually no usage. Then I plugged it in for 15 minutes, it went up to 80%, and lasted me until 10 at night. Battery poo poo will be weird for a while. Give it a little time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
5 percent for the screen being on for 20 minutes isn't really that unusual.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Ok, thanks for the reassurances guys. :)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Engadget rumor today that the SGS2 might be hitting Sprint in Q3. That phone is so sexy looking. If the reviews and the reception to it in Europe hold true to the American version I might now wait for the Nexus 3.

SLOSifl posted:

The wallpaper doesn't scroll because the screens wrap around when scrolling through them.

Yes, but doesn't make sense (ha) not to have a option to change that like ADW does. Still I do like you can set your wallpaper in portrait since it doesn't scroll.

Have to say the 3D is fast. I can only imagine how a lean mean ROM will work on it. Great phone.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
You'll definitely notice some ridiculous battery claims in the first week or two. For example despite the software saying the battery was ~100%, it stayed charging for some 30-45 minutes the first day I charged it. I waited for the green light instead of following the software's claim. Same day at work with minimal usage the phone reported the battery around ~40%. That's just me connected to wifi and checking my email maybe 12 times and showing some guys at work maybe about five minutes total of Green Hornet.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Anyone else using Launcher Pro on the 3D? I noticed that the app drawer animation is really choppy, not scrolling through icons, but the drawer opening effect. Everything else is incredibly smooth except for the drawer opening. I set it to instant open for now, just wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

So, I got my 3D, super excited, enjoying all the power, but I'm having some problems that as of yet seem completely unreported. I just was wondering whether it's gonna be better to do just a hard factory reset (which I'm confused how to do because HTC seems to have pulled that out of the privacy tab and put it somewhere else) or just take it back to the Sprint store for a replacement.

Problems are mostly cosmetic, but still:
-The app drawer, while scrolling down in series of pages, isn't moving to the actual pages that the apps require, so I get pages with the divider lines in the middle of them. On top of this, the top of the rosie clock shows through a crack in between the "All Apps" anchor at the top and the actual pages
-On top of that, the selections at the bottom (all, frequent, downloaded) don't work when first engaged, the selection stays the same but everything is unselectable. If the drawer is closed it then switches to the next set.
-A similar thing happens if I attempt to use the personalize menu. If I get to it through long press or the button on rosie it works fine (to a point), but if I get to it via settings none of the buttons respond to presses. Also if I hit a button to pull an app shortcut for the main screen, none of the buttons change and only update when the scrollbar is pulled so that the icons can't be seen

I haven't noticed anything else, and I'm still on the launch settings, with no updates, phone hasn't even been given google access yet so no new apps or anything that should be mucking about with it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So does netflix work on the 3d? Also, someone was talking about a press release about the upcoming speaker dock, does anyone have the link?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This kicks my pres rear end so hard its not even funny. Anyone looking to switch...its like night and day.....just need to get used to android

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
Netflix does work on the 3D, but it doesn't show up on the market yet.
If you get the apk from another source, it works fine.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I guess I am not built for glasses-free 3D. I walked into a Sprint store this morning to look at the EVO 3D, and I fired up the camera in 3D mode to get a feel for the screen. I had the same issue with that as I had with the 3DS... it just doesn't look right. Most of the time I just see two images, but if I hold it JUST RIGHT, I get a sort of 3D effect, but it kind of hurts my eyes. I don't feel that way when I watch 3D movies in the theater, though, so I assume it's just the tech.

Maybe the fact that I wear glasses has something to do with it, I dunno.

But I also played with the browser a bit, and it is super responsive and fast. That being said, I was pretty easily able to talk myself out of it for now. My EVO is still working great for me (aside from some ROM flashing troubles, grrr) and I think I'm okay holding onto that for another year or so.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

900ftjesus posted:

Anyone else using Launcher Pro on the 3D? I noticed that the app drawer animation is really choppy, not scrolling through icons, but the drawer opening effect. Everything else is incredibly smooth except for the drawer opening. I set it to instant open for now, just wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

Do you have Rosie turned off?

Funnily what you are seeing is EXACTLY what I saw with the original Evo (eh, there might have been a little slowdown in switching screens, I don't remember) and everyone told me my phone was faulty.

If I remember right, Rosie kept turning itself back on and it was a crazy resource hog. Not sure if that's also your problem, but it's worth checking into.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Someone over at the Pocketables forum posted the apk for the flashlight and netflix app that work on the 3D.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
A few questions since I'm new to the EVO3D and Android...

1. If I already have full Google Voice integration on my Sprint line, is there any reason to install/use the Google Voice application?
2. Is the task manager in Gingerbread good enough, or should I install something like ATK to handle killing tasks?
3. While I understand why Outlook and Gmail are separate apps (different features and whatnot), isn't there a way I can have a unified inbox and a single unread message list instead of needing two separate widgets?
4. On my Pre, I was encouraged to use Wifi and leave it on since it would automatically place itself into a low power mode when not using the radio actively. Will my battery drain faster if I leave Wifi on and am not actively using it? Same question for GPS. (I do understand that having more radios on will eat the battery faster, but I am curious as to how bad it gets)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
1- I have google voice now but I've never used the app.
2- Don't install one. Goondroid wiki points to this multitasking explanation
3- Dunno, but you could use K9 mail or another mail app and just have a single email program
4- Also a previous Pre user. I took that 'leave wifi on' habit from it and still use it on Android. Most of my time I'm within wifi range (home, work) and it's fine. When out and about I've not noticed any excessive drain from leaving it on but have turned it off. Wifi widget is nice for this.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

McPhearson posted:

Someone over at the Pocketables forum posted the apk for the flashlight and netflix app that work on the 3D.

Would that flashlight app work on a non-HTC phone with an LED flash?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would that flashlight app work on a non-HTC phone with an LED flash?

It depends on the phone. There are several LED flashlight apps in the market.

I've used this https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.picolyl.led_light&hl=en
flashlight widget with the EVO and EVO 3D, and it lists a few other supported phones.

edit: someone in the comments says it works on the Nexus S 4G

lazydog fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 25, 2011

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

lazydog posted:

It depends on the phone. There are several LED flashlight apps in the market.

I've used this https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.picolyl.led_light&hl=en
flashlight widget with the EVO and EVO 3D, and it lists a few other supported phones.

edit: someone in the comments says it works on the Nexus S 4G

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How come not all my apps transfered to the new phone? Mainly angry birds...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I went to a Sprint corporate store this afternoon to get my hands on an Evo 3D before ordering one. I'm on SERO, but the sales guy insisted that he could upgrade me to SERO Premium in store. He disappeared into the back room for a minute, then emerged and told me regretfully that my SERO plan is "expired" and that I'd have to upgrade to Everything Plus. That's what I get for trusting anything a sales guy says when there's a commission involved.

I went outside and called the number in the OP to upgrade to Premium. That operator told me that she couldn't do anything for me until I had an ESN. I was under the impression that the process went 1) call the number to upgrade to Premium, 2) order the phone online. Is this backward? I think she wanted me to go back in and convince the salesman to give me the ESN of the phone he was trying to sell me, but I'd rather wait a few days than let that jerk collect a commission from my upgrade.

edit: Reviewed a few pages back and it looks like it's OK to just order the phone and call to upgrade the account when it arrives.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 25, 2011