Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Huntersoninski posted:

P.I. help I found a cat.

He(?) seems to be an older (but still pretty active!) Siamese. He's very friendly, talkative, and he's front-paw declawed. I spotted him in the parking lot outside my apartment. The moment we made eye contact he called to me. Vocally. And hasn't stopped talking yet.

I've put up fliers and I have a friend who works at a vet clinic taking him in while I'm at work to see if he's micro-chipped.

I'm allergic to cats (thankfully not too very much, or this guy's affection would have killed me already) and haven't kept one since I was a kid. I've borrowed some food and litter from a cat-owning neighbor (who declined to look after him in my stead). My landlady says he's ok to keep for a few days, but a permanent stay would mean the $300 fee.

So I guess my question is, what do I do with him in the mean time? There are rough feral cats in this neighborhood, I don't want to let him out again. What do I do to my apartment to keep him and my stuff safe? I've isolated him in my computer room because I don't want him in my bedroom and my bathrooms are cramped. Is that ok? I don't wanna hurt this pretty kitty before his family is found!

I'd like to own a cat someday but I didn't imagine I'd have one in my apartment this way!

edit: OH GOD THE TABLES

Where, roughly, are you located? I can get you in touch with the right people in the PNW area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

InEscape posted:

Where, roughly, are you located? I can get you in touch with the right people in the PNW area.

Central Illinois. PNW?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Huntersoninski posted:

Central Illinois. PNW?

Pacific Northwest, I think.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
Ack. Screwed up the quote. Thanks InEscape!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

bl4d3 posted:

Easier said than done. He sleeps in the kennel @ night and to give him a break during the day. As mentioned, he came from a farm, and as such, we've never been able to break him of his spraying habit.

I let him run free today, and he just came back, so hopefully he won't get lost in the future.

All you can do is microchip him and hope no one kills him/takes him in/etc

Huntersoninski posted:

Thanks, that's a good idea! I'll call the shelter when they open tomorrow.

This guy is so funny. He meows all the time. I've owned a few cats before but none of them were this vocal. Right now he's cleaning himself and every few minutes he just looks up and meows. Like, just checking up on me. Hey, my butt still tastes like my butt, just thought you should know.

Siamese cats are notorious talkers. :words:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

2508084 posted:

Siamese cats are notorious talkers. :words:

Oh god he's crying in the next room i gotta go to sleep. How do you make a cat quit crying for attention at night? I can't let him in - I'm allergic and I don't want him roaming the house while I sleep. The room he's in is a decent size though.

How do i turn it oooffff

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Huntersoninski posted:

Oh god he's crying in the next room i gotta go to sleep. How do you make a cat quit crying for attention at night? I can't let him in - I'm allergic and I don't want him roaming the house while I sleep. The room he's in is a decent size though.

How do i turn it oooffff

Get a vacuum and put it against your bedroom door. Leave it unplugged, but turn it "on." Cat cries, plug in the vacuum, vacuum goes off, cat runs at blistering speed to get away from door. Repeat

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
Anybody have any advice about getting over the death of a pet?

I had a couple of cats that I was especially close to named Felix and Simba, and they both got sick (Felix got a stomach infection) and Simba got cancer. I considered them good friends, and still think about them a lot even though I lost them a couple years back. Any comforting advice?

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Braki posted:

Furminators and similar brushes work well in my experience. Anything that has those really fine combs that get out a lot of fur. Also, putting him on a weight loss regimen (I assume Fatty is self-descriptive?) would help him groom himself.

For his overall length he is actually only a touch overweight, but extremely dopey. He has no coordination at all, he can't even jump (no worries, vet has been consulted). However, he is a freaking black hole for food (hence the name), it seems like for the last decade all he has done is eat, it's quite impressive really. As much as I call them my cats they are really my dad's, and he insists on feeding crappy food because "there is no difference except the price." And any challenge to this is not met very nicely on his part. I'm sure his coat would be a lot better off with just a food change, but any time he tries to groom his lower back he just kind of rolls over and misses due to his dopiness. Thanks for the suggestions though!

bru
May 7, 2006

pampering lifes complexity

Kerfuffle posted:

Not a vet, but that sounds like a bad tooth problem which isn't at all uncommon in cats. The smell and drooling especially.(infected teeth really reek) I imagine cleaning himself is unpleasant to do so he quit doing it. Take that cat to a vet asap.

Vet thought it was his teeth, operated and found a big tumor in his throat that they couldn't do mch for. Decided to have him put to sleep while he was under the anesthetic.

Loved that little bastard :(

bru fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 24, 2011

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

2508084 posted:

Get a vacuum and put it against your bedroom door. Leave it unplugged, but turn it "on." Cat cries, plug in the vacuum, vacuum goes off, cat runs at blistering speed to get away from door. Repeat

After about twenty minutes of this, it was clear the cat was just having a conversation with my vacuum cleaner.

He cried all night. 10pm to 7am. I'm beginning to figure out why somebody may have dumped him outside! He's very sweet but even if he voluntarily leaves the room he cries and cries for me. I've never known a cat to behave like this. The only cats I knew to cry out after being shut up somewhere were kittens, and even they figured out nothing was going to happen after a couple hours. I thought only dogs pulled this kind of needy crap.

He's all hoarse now :( He sounds like a creaky floorboard. Still loves me like crazy though. What am I going to do til someone claims him? What am I gonna do if they dont :(

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

Jive One posted:

Can a cat with claws "swat" your hand without extending those claws? Just to tell you to leave them alone but without causing harm?

One of mine likes to slap me when I do something he doesn't like. I still catch his claws sometimes, but he usually keeps them retracted unless he's really annoyed. My other cat doesn't swat much, but when he does, the claws are out. I guess it mostly depends on the cat.

_Leviathan_ posted:

Anybody have any advice about getting over the death of a pet?

I had a couple of cats that I was especially close to named Felix and Simba, and they both got sick (Felix got a stomach infection) and Simba got cancer. I considered them good friends, and still think about them a lot even though I lost them a couple years back. Any comforting advice?

A couple years back? I think it's time for a new cat (or two), if you haven't already. Don't think about it as a replacement cat, think about it as filling a need for companionship the way you eventually would if you lost your best friend.

Edit:

Huntersoninski posted:

He's all hoarse now :( He sounds like a creaky floorboard. Still loves me like crazy though. What am I going to do til someone claims him? What am I gonna do if they dont :(

Try feeding him just before bed? My cats cry more for food than they do for attention. Of course, if it's attention he's looking for, try to keep him busy and awake all day so he'll be exhausted and maybe fall asleep at night.

Billy Black fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 24, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Aw, jeez, that sounds like our Siamese cat Phoebe the first night we had her. She was in my bedroom that night and she literally climbed up the windows. And howled. I wish someone would dump a stray Siamese on me. I still miss that girl.

As far as what to do--you've checked lost/found stuff at local vets, Craigslist, shelters? If no one is claiming him a rescue might be able to take him in, or might be able to list him with their other cats if you can foster him for a bit longer. Ngh, good luck!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

As far as what to do--you've checked lost/found stuff at local vets, Craigslist, shelters? If no one is claiming him a rescue might be able to take him in, or might be able to list him with their other cats if you can foster him for a bit longer. Ngh, good luck!

Checked craigslist and will be calling shelters on my lunch today. I may have roped a friend into taking him while I'm at work (when I'm out, everything's closed) to a clinic to check for a microchip, but that's a maybe. He doesn't care for cats.

I'll keep you all posted, if you want.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
How bad are your allergies? Have you been having reactions around.this particular cat? Some people are allergic to specific cats instead of just all animals. My cats don't bother me at all, but my grandmother's cat turns me into a sniffling blubbery mess.

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

GenericOverusedName posted:

How bad are your allergies? Have you been having reactions around.this particular cat? Some people are allergic to specific cats instead of just all animals. My cats don't bother me at all, but my grandmother's cat turns me into a sniffling blubbery mess.

I'm kinda the same way, but for me, I think it's just people who never vacuum, or have too many cats. I've been to houses where they have 5~ cats and I can barely keep my eyes open, but mine sleep in the bed with me and it doesn't give me any problems.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

bru posted:

Vet thought it was his teeth, operated and found a big tumor in his throat that they couldn't do mch for. Decided to have him put to sleep while he was under the anesthetic.

Loved that little bastard :(

I'm so sorry. :( At least he went peacefully.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
My cat fell seven stories this morning. They've always been allowed on my balcony, and I get a little concerned when this one walks on the outer edges, but it's been a few years and nothing's ever happened. Well, last night it rained so I guess she slipped. Didn't see it happen, but she would have landed on grass, then hid under a bush and someone called me right away and I rushed down. Immediately noticed she had use of her legs and I carried her inside. As soon as she was in the door, she stopped crying, so part of her trauma was simply being outside since she's spent most of her life in here. Since she wasn't crying I considered that maybe she's ok, but went to the vet since I'm worried about internal injuries. The vet was impressed that she survived, and felt her belly but that's about it. She commented that the bladder seemed ok, gave me some painkillers to spray in her mouth, and the contact for a 24 hour hospital I could take her too if I was concerned later.

So now I'm home, and the cat is a little traumatized. She moved slowly down the stairs and went to lay down under my desk, instead of on a comfy bed or someplace like that. She is not crying, but I haven't seen her eat yet either. What concerns me is when I rub her chest and I have my ear close. It makes a sound I've never heard before, like a gurgle, and something gravel-ey. I'm worried the gurgle indicates there is internal bleeding, and the gravel feeling might come from a broken rib cage or something. But the cat is not crying in pain even when I touch this area, and the vet didn't notice or mention anything about it. I plan to take her back to the vet in the morning. But obviously I'm concerned so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, that might help.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Aw, jeez, that sounds like our Siamese cat Phoebe the first night we had her. She was in my bedroom that night and she literally climbed up the windows. And howled. I wish someone would dump a stray Siamese on me. I still miss that girl.

Haha, tell me where you live. If it's close enough I will personally drive to you and dump a stray Siamese on you. I love cats best, but this guy is really taking my last ounce of patience with the literally nonstop chatter.

GenericOverusedName posted:

They're usually awful, but with this guy they've been pretty mild. My mom used to be allergic to cats too, but she grew out of it around my age, so that's on the table as well I guess.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Huntersoninski posted:

Haha, tell me where you live. If it's close enough I will personally drive to you and dump a stray Siamese on you. I love cats best, but this guy is really taking my last ounce of patience with the literally nonstop chatter.

Heh, well, near Albany, NY, so that's a bit of a haul. Unless you're planning an East Coast trip...

e. In all seriousness, if something was taking you out New York way I could undertake to at least foster the guy and sponsor him, and see if the group I foster for would take him in for placement.

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 25, 2011

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Elijya posted:

My cat fell seven stories this morning. They've always been allowed on my balcony, and I get a little concerned when this one walks on the outer edges, but it's been a few years and nothing's ever happened. Well, last night it rained so I guess she slipped. Didn't see it happen, but she would have landed on grass, then hid under a bush and someone called me right away and I rushed down. Immediately noticed she had use of her legs and I carried her inside. As soon as she was in the door, she stopped crying, so part of her trauma was simply being outside since she's spent most of her life in here. Since she wasn't crying I considered that maybe she's ok, but went to the vet since I'm worried about internal injuries. The vet was impressed that she survived, and felt her belly but that's about it. She commented that the bladder seemed ok, gave me some painkillers to spray in her mouth, and the contact for a 24 hour hospital I could take her too if I was concerned later.

So now I'm home, and the cat is a little traumatized. She moved slowly down the stairs and went to lay down under my desk, instead of on a comfy bed or someplace like that. She is not crying, but I haven't seen her eat yet either. What concerns me is when I rub her chest and I have my ear close. It makes a sound I've never heard before, like a gurgle, and something gravel-ey. I'm worried the gurgle indicates there is internal bleeding, and the gravel feeling might come from a broken rib cage or something. But the cat is not crying in pain even when I touch this area, and the vet didn't notice or mention anything about it. I plan to take her back to the vet in the morning. But obviously I'm concerned so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, that might help.

I would at least call that e-vet number your vet gave you and describe the symptoms. They should be able to tell you if she needs to come in. Just because she's not crying doesn't mean she's not in pain, cats can be pretty stoic.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

My girlfriend's parent's dog ended up being admitted early Friday morning to remove a large mass attached to one of his kidneys-- the surgical vet ended up needing to take the whole organ. The dog was stitched up about five hours ago and the vet's office has said that he should be ready for discharge about eight hours from now. This ends up being a bit over half a day of monitored recovery time for what seems to be serious surgery. I don't know squat about canine medicine or anything, but is this bizarrely fast or not?

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la

Elijya posted:

My cat fell seven stories this morning...

Did they do any radiographs? Cats (and some dogs) get some wild hair up their rear end and decide to jump off high edges, and they call it "high rise syndrome", so it's possible she didn't slip. Cats are notorious for hiding pain symptoms. If they did radiographs they can check for any fractures. Most common fractures are front legs and the mandible. Since she isn't eating I would suspect it's a response to pain or possible she broke her mandible where both sides meet at the chin. There isn't connective bone there, but rather strong cartilage. If she will let you, try manipulating the bottom jaw, if it's super wiggly/flexible or if she cries out and tries to kill you it's probably a fracture.

I would definitely contact your vet again, especially since she's not eating. And I know rads can be pretty pricey, but it's better than a fracture going untreated. Also rads might be able to let the DVM know if there is any internal trauma. 7 stories is serious business. Hopefully everything turns out ok.

click click
Aug 9, 2006

ChairmanMeow posted:

Is she a long hair? Would getting her rear end shaved be an option?

Nope, my cat's an American short hair. Still trying to figure out a cure for poopy butt. Maybe I should like take a wet paper towel sneak up and poke the poopy butt with it?

Billy Black
Nov 9, 2006

click click posted:

Nope, my cat's an American short hair. Still trying to figure out a cure for poopy butt. Maybe I should like take a wet paper towel sneak up and poke the poopy butt with it?

Ha, my youngest cat has a napkin phobia now because of this. He had a lot of squishy poop problems when I got him, and I got sick of the little poop stains. I think as long as his poops are softer, this problem isn't going to go away. You should look into a diet change maybe?

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

click click posted:

Maybe try the burrito method? Burrito cat > wipe butt.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Anyone have any tips for removing ticks from long haired dogs? We went for a nice long walk on a wide road yesterday, barely going by any trees or bushes and we've still already found three ticks on my dog (one almost inside her ear :gonk:).

We've been pulling them out by gripping them with a paper towel, but I think we'll try tweezers next time. I'm not sure any of them were latched, but all her fur gets in the way no matter where they are.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiri koli posted:

Anyone have any tips for removing ticks from long haired dogs? We went for a nice long walk on a wide road yesterday, barely going by any trees or bushes and we've still already found three ticks on my dog (one almost inside her ear :gonk:).

We've been pulling them out by gripping them with a paper towel, but I think we'll try tweezers next time. I'm not sure any of them were latched, but all her fur gets in the way no matter where they are.

Major's hair is super thick and he gets uncomfortable with me trying to pry ticks off but I've found that using a tick key or better yet a Ticked Off lets me do it faster and I pull his fur less. I can just slip the doodad under the tick and then I don't need to worry about moving the hair out of the way anymore while I pop it off.

I also switched to a flea spot on that repels ticks because I hate them so much and its been working great.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

AltruisticNemesis posted:

Did they do any radiographs? Cats (and some dogs) get some wild hair up their rear end and decide to jump off high edges, and they call it "high rise syndrome", so it's possible she didn't slip. Cats are notorious for hiding pain symptoms. If they did radiographs they can check for any fractures. Most common fractures are front legs and the mandible. Since she isn't eating I would suspect it's a response to pain or possible she broke her mandible where both sides meet at the chin. There isn't connective bone there, but rather strong cartilage. If she will let you, try manipulating the bottom jaw, if it's super wiggly/flexible or if she cries out and tries to kill you it's probably a fracture.

I would definitely contact your vet again, especially since she's not eating. And I know rads can be pretty pricey, but it's better than a fracture going untreated. Also rads might be able to let the DVM know if there is any internal trauma. 7 stories is serious business. Hopefully everything turns out ok.

The most common reasons for the fall are either an accidental slip, or due to pursuing a wild animal (bird) and trying to catch it and not realizing where they were, not a 'Oh a ledge, time to jump yay! :downs:'

I do find it odd that the e-vet didn't take radiographs to check for fractures or contusions of things that are hard to palpate, particularly with this kind of fall. However, a thorough physical might have made the e-vet feel confident that kitty didn't get that hurt.

The crunching/gurgling while petting sounds a bit like air under the skin (subcutaneous emphysema). Internal bleeding shows up quick - either a distended belly, passing out, or breathing problems. Still, air under the skin is odd, and I'd like an opinion on where it's coming from, if that's what it actually is.

Interesting thing is that a theory of High Rise Syndrome is that cats falling from >6 stories have less injury than cats falling <6 stories, possibly due to terminal velocity and relaxation during the higher fall that allows them to survive/have less injury. Though, that theory has been called into question by a Croatian group, so we'll see what goes through the pipes in terms of High Rise Syndrome.

Insanite:
I wouldn't consider that to be bizarrely fast. Consider a dog spay, that has more organs being removed (ovaries and uterus) and more blood vessels being tied off than a kidney surgery, and they can go home just as fast. Sure, a kidney sounds like a big deal, but really, they are somewhat an easier organ to remove than dog ovaries/uterus. It's the way kidneys are set up - all their blood vessels and all their associated tubes all come in at the same place, so finding what needs to be tied off is relatively easy. In addition, kidneys have the ability to move around, so they are easier to find/manipulate in surgery. Something like liver or spleen is harder because they have more vessels, and they can be harder to manipulate without traumatizing something you don't want to traumatize.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 25, 2011

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Major's hair is super thick and he gets uncomfortable with me trying to pry ticks off but I've found that using a tick key or better yet a Ticked Off lets me do it faster and I pull his fur less. I can just slip the doodad under the tick and then I don't need to worry about moving the hair out of the way anymore while I pop it off.

I also switched to a flea spot on that repels ticks because I hate them so much and its been working great.

Flea spot on? Like Frontline? We have her on Frontline Plus, but it only kills ticks (after 48 hours, ugh). Is there one that repels ticks as well?

Thanks for the tick removers. I'll have to order one.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Kiri koli posted:

Flea spot on? Like Frontline? We have her on Frontline Plus, but it only kills ticks (after 48 hours, ugh). Is there one that repels ticks as well?

Thanks for the tick removers. I'll have to order one.
If ticks are a regular problem, you might want to ask your vet about a Preventic Collar. People I know who have used them say they get better results than with Frontline Plus, and the collar lasts several months, so one should be enough to get you through the summer. They are intended to actually prevent tick attachment. They're safe to use in combination with topicals, and unlike flea collars, they're actually made by a legit drug company and not sketchy/dangerous. I think you can get them online without a prescription, but it's always a good idea to run things past your vet first.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Ok, my allergies are finally kicking in. If no one responds to my ads by tomorrow afternoon, I'm taking steps to get rid of this cat.

I'm nervous about taking him to a pound because he's older and needy and I don't know how easy to adopt he'd be. But he's reasonably well behaved aside from the chatter issue, which I suppose some could find endearing. He's litter trained and gentle on house stuff.

What kind of options do I have to getting this cat a home? I guess "free to good home" ads on craigslist are frowned upon, but I don't know what else to do. Nobody I know wants or can have a cat.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Huntersoninski posted:

Ok, my allergies are finally kicking in. If no one responds to my ads by tomorrow afternoon, I'm taking steps to get rid of this cat.

I'm nervous about taking him to a pound because he's older and needy and I don't know how easy to adopt he'd be. But he's reasonably well behaved aside from the chatter issue, which I suppose some could find endearing. He's litter trained and gentle on house stuff.

What kind of options do I have to getting this cat a home? I guess "free to good home" ads on craigslist are frowned upon, but I don't know what else to do. Nobody I know wants or can have a cat.
Go to petfinder.com, type in your zipcode, and contact rescue groups within a distance you'd be willing to drive. If there is a siamese or similar breed rescue in your area, they may be your best bet, and they will be used to placing extremely talkative kitties. Craigslist is generally a bad idea, but may be a better option than taking him to a kill shelter. I would save that as a last resort and try to find a no-kill rescue. A sweet, declawed Siamese has pretty good odds at finding a new home through a rescue with proper resources, even if he's older.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Odor removal from carpet?

My pup's coming along alright with housetraining, but I have one frustrating issue: when I need to work on my desktop computer, I keep her tethered to me so she can't wander too far. However, I'm having a problem with her running to one spot behind the desk and peeing before I can stop her. Of course, being a puppy, this means this can happen anywhere from ten minutes to an hour after the last time I took her out, so it's sort of unpredictable. I've done the NO! and scooped her up and put her outside and treated her when she finished.

I've treated the spot liberally with Nature's Miracle and she still keeps going back to it. Argh! That spot is the only accident she has now, and I feel like if I could nip that in the bud we would be making good progress. I don't expect a lot out of her since she's only 10 weeks, I just want to deter her from that one spot. She's had on average 1 accident every 2-3 days and it's always right there.

I know the easy answer is 'don't let her in there', but there are times when I need to work pretty much all day and I need to keep an eye on her and I'd rather not keep her crated all day. Other times I can just have my laptop out in the living room if I need the computer, but the desktop has work and school stuff on it.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Kerafyrm posted:

Odor removal from carpet?

My pup's coming along alright with housetraining, but I have one frustrating issue: when I need to work on my desktop computer, I keep her tethered to me so she can't wander too far. However, I'm having a problem with her running to one spot behind the desk and peeing before I can stop her. Of course, being a puppy, this means this can happen anywhere from ten minutes to an hour after the last time I took her out, so it's sort of unpredictable. I've done the NO! and scooped her up and put her outside and treated her when she finished.

I've treated the spot liberally with Nature's Miracle and she still keeps going back to it. Argh! That spot is the only accident she has now, and I feel like if I could nip that in the bud we would be making good progress. I don't expect a lot out of her since she's only 10 weeks, I just want to deter her from that one spot. She's had on average 1 accident every 2-3 days and it's always right there.

I know the easy answer is 'don't let her in there', but there are times when I need to work pretty much all day and I need to keep an eye on her and I'd rather not keep her crated all day. Other times I can just have my laptop out in the living room if I need the computer, but the desktop has work and school stuff on it.

Is there a door near your desktop or a heavy table nearby? Try to find something nearby that you can tether her to that can't reach that spot. Or perhaps try one of those baby pens for puppies. It sounds like she's developing a habit and it isn't necessarily the smell that keeps her coming back.

Worse comes to worse, keep her tethered for yourself on a very short leash and then make sure to get up every 20 (? I'm not sure how long puppies can sit still) minutes or so and let her run around supervised or take her outside to tire her out. It's good to get up from work now and then anyway.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Thanks everyone for the help. Cat was microchipped, thank goodness, and while it has since switched owners, the original owner was able to get me the phone number of the current owner, who showed up in a hurry and paid me $20.

I'm glad. All the no-kill shelters in my area were all full up and had no room. I think I'm going to start saving in earnest now to adopt a cat of my own. One who's not Siamese. Thanks again everyone for the help/advice.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I'm a bit bemused right now.

Last weekend, whilst I was out of town and my mum was looking after the dogs, my JRT pup started scratching her ears a lot apparently. Like several times an hour, by the sounds of what my mum described.

However when I returned at midday on Monday, she didn't scratch any more than usual (maybe two or three times the whole day?), and hasn't been scratching at all really until yesterday. She started scratching a lot again--just her ears though, she isn't scratching anywhere else more than usual and neither me nor my other dog are scratching.

She's not shaking her head, there's no discharge, and the insides of her ears look the same sort of pinky colour as usual. There's no smell other than average sort of "ear" smell. Is she just being weird? She's not scratching as much as my mother suggested last week - maybe once an hour or two, though this is obviously more than she usually does.

She's eating fine, same energy levels as usual, not drinking any more or less, she doesn't flinch or mouth when I touch her ears (though she doesn't like it - but she never likes it, as we've never worked on me handling her ears as we have on handling other parts of her body).

I'd really rather not take her to the vet for an unnecessary check up, as going to the vets stresses her out, but I will if it sounds like she has an infection or something. Or is she just being a Dumb Puppy?

E:
Okay I was lying, in one ear (the one she's been scratching most), there's a very red, sore looking scratch. Is it possible she's cut it on something and it's irritating her? We put on some antiseptic cream that's fine for babies to have, and I'm just going to stop her from scratching it for now. It's definitely not a bite, and is a scratch of some kind. There's a much smaller (barely there) scratch on the other inner ear, too. I don't know if she's scratched it enough to make it bleed (last weekend) and then opened it up again yesterday, or if she's scratched it on something.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 25, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Glad to hear your Unexpected Siamese is going home! I'm so glad you were able to take care of the little dude.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

AltruisticNemesis posted:

Took her to the hospital last night when her breathing became shallow. She has 1 or 2 broken ribs, and a partially collapsed lung, but she'll live. Not a lot the vets can do for her except let her body heal itself, unfortunately. She stayed their overnight in an oxygen chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I feel so odd asking this but what are the strongest dog toys on the market? My dog (a 1 and 1/2 year old siberian husky mix) loves squeaky toys. However, with every single squeaky toy he destroys the squeaky in 2 days max. I want something that will squeak but without me having to worry about him tearing into the toy to try to swallow either the squeaky or part of the toy.

I know Kong toys are good but he has killed 2 different types of those already.