Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I seem to recall the first one built at Area 51. There was the episode with the reporter getting a sneak peak and then the ship got hijacked.

I liked that they at least tried some semblance of technological progression. Hacking a Death Glider > Making their own fighter ships > Big ships but bad hyperdrives > fully functional ships.

It just didn't make sense in the time they had. It was about 4 years from start to finish it seemed like. I'd imagine some of those ships taking years to build anyway. How did they get enough manpower to construct such a massive undertaking without it being leaked to the public? You can't build a ship that size with 4 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mortanis posted:

I seem to recall the first one built at Area 51. There was the episode with the reporter getting a sneak peak and then the ship got hijacked.

I liked that they at least tried some semblance of technological progression. Hacking a Death Glider > Making their own fighter ships > Big ships but bad hyperdrives > fully functional ships.

It just didn't make sense in the time they had. It was about 4 years from start to finish it seemed like. I'd imagine some of those ships taking years to build anyway. How did they get enough manpower to construct such a massive undertaking without it being leaked to the public? You can't build a ship that size with 4 people.

They did have allies on other planets. Also I am pretty sure the big ships had Asgard help.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Mortanis posted:

Whatever happened to the ship the Gaould built on earth? I thought that was the Prometheus.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Mortanis posted:

You'd be surprised how much a naquadah-powered forklift can boost your productivity.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Mortanis posted:

I don't find the timeframe implausible in the least. Look at the technological progression and rate of military production in WW2 and WW1. Four years is a long time when your back is against the wall and you have all the resources a nation has. It's just that it was done in secret that's the problem.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

General Emergency posted:

I don't find the timeframe implausible in the least. Look at the technological progression and rate of military production in WW2 and WW1. Four years is a long time when your back is against the wall and you have all the resources a nation has. It's just that it was done in secret that's the problem.

The Manhattan Project was done in relative secrecy from the public despite being roughly equivalent in cost, employees, etc. to the entire US auto industry of the time. Something like 60,000 acres of land and 15,000 tons of silver were used for just one site, not to mention the sheer number of workers employed. I mean, I'm not really defending Stargate's realism or anything, but it's not totally implausible to imagine the US government secretly building a spaceship assuming the technology was magically available.

Honestly, the Manhattan Project is a pretty terrifying testament to what can be done in secrecy with sufficient resources and willpower.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They were helped significantly with the development of naquada and naquadria. It was already being used by Jonas' people so it was easy to adapt to human technology. SG-1 really had nowhere else to go, it would be boring if they still had to sneak onto gould ships to blow it up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

They were helped significantly with the development of naquada and naquadria. It was already being used by Jonas' people so it was easy to adapt to human technology. SG-1 really had nowhere else to go, it would be boring if they still had to sneak onto gould ships to blow it up.

We also would not have gotten the Battle of Antarctica

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Has it ever been established that 1 season is 1 year? Couldn't it be that 4 seasons later is really 7 years?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bobkatt013 posted:

We also would not have gotten the Battle of Antarctica

Season 7 was the best of the series finales that weren't.

I'm really glad that Full Circle wasn't the way SG1 ended.

Drizzt01 posted:

Has it ever been established that 1 season is 1 year? Couldn't it be that 4 seasons later is really 7 years?

Yes. They routinely say things like "in the past X years" or "in the X years the SG program has been running".

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

"Xenu? I have never heard of such systemlord."

Dammit, that came out of nowhere. I laughed so hard I almost spilled my scotch. That would have been unforgivable.

But... drat, that was funny.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

JetsGuy posted:

Season 7 was the best of the series finales that weren't.

"My depth is immaterial to this conversation"

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Paradoxish posted:

The Manhattan Project was done in relative secrecy from the public despite being roughly equivalent in cost, employees, etc. to the entire US auto industry of the time. Something like 60,000 acres of land and 15,000 tons of silver were used for just one site, not to mention the sheer number of workers employed. I mean, I'm not really defending Stargate's realism or anything, but it's not totally implausible to imagine the US government secretly building a spaceship assuming the technology was magically available.

Honestly, the Manhattan Project is a pretty terrifying testament to what can be done in secrecy with sufficient resources and willpower.
It was also in the middle of a giant war which gave easy excuses for keeping things secret and made it very easy to hide the money being spent. I really can't see something of that scale happening today with that level of secrecy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Dark One posted:

I just caught the SG:A episode where everyone loses their memories and the military personnel end up going nuts on the stimulants they've been taking to ward the symptoms off. It seemed like a decent episode until two things happened, which made it great.

(1)A completely distracted and forgetful Rodney only needing to hit the Enter key to finish his program and

I'm only halfway through season 1 and I can safely say that anything involving McKay doing something dumb has this effect on an episode.

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
My wife's going out of town next weekend and I've decided that what I'll be doing is watching SGA streaming on netflix and drinking whiskey. I couldn't wait, so I decided to watch to first few episodes tonight doing the Teyla "my people" drinking game, and I had to stop because I wanted to pace myself haha!

I think I've decided that I like the SGA theme better than SG1.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

the-jam posted:

It was also in the middle of a giant war which gave easy excuses for keeping things secret and made it very easy to hide the money being spent. I really can't see something of that scale happening today with that level of secrecy.

I don't know if this is a joke or if you're being serious but either way it's still funny.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MisterFusion posted:

My wife's going out of town next weekend and I've decided that what I'll be doing is watching SGA streaming on netflix and drinking whiskey. I couldn't wait, so I decided to watch to first few episodes tonight doing the Teyla "my people" drinking game, and I had to stop because I wanted to pace myself haha!

That is as smart as playing the gently caress and cocksucker Deadwood drinking game

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why can't Teyla ever use a contraction when she speaks? Stargate is weird because it has aliens like Ronan that speaks normally or that Lucius guy that sounds like a New York jewish dude, yet we also have Teyla that sounds like a robot. They can't make up their mind either because every time they visit a renaissance faire town #86 everyone speaks like Teyla. And drat Lucius was so awful in his two episodes. Richard Kind is the Majel Barrett of Stargate.

I'm also really glad her name isn't spelled like Te'yla

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 26, 2011

Tater_tot
Dec 22, 2007

the-jam posted:

Is the "war on terror" a thing in the SG universe? Because there's plenty of money and secret keeping involved in that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mu Zeta posted:

Why can't Teyla ever use a contraction when she speaks?

Why did Teal'c act so differently from every single other Jaffa we ever met?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

I never thought he acted that differently from what other Jaffa from Chulak that we saw, really. And outside that, you could chalk it up to different Jaffa cultures. They were a galaxy-wide race, after all. Kind of silly to expect them all to act the same even with the influence of the Goa'uld.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn

Gorilla Salad posted:

Maybe because he had the experience working as the right hand Jaffa of a god?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But he was always so emotionless and had a distinct speech pattern. His own master Bra'tac was completely different.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe Teal'c had Jaffa assburgers.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

MisterFusion posted:

I agree completely about the theme. Atlantis Season 2 or 3 I can't remember has my favorite opening theme.

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
I'm on S1E4 of my first real attempt at watching all of SGA (i've caught an episode here and there when it was on TV). It's the one where the Wraith keep popping up every time they go off world, so, of course, Weir suspects it may be one of the Athosian refugees who are living on Atlantis. The thing that bothers me is that we're four episodes in and Sheppard and Rodney are already completely devoted to Teyla. "C'mon, it's Teyla!! HER PEOPLE wouldn't do this!" Its annoying how quickly the writers expected us to accept her into the group without proving themselves. I mean, compare Teal'cs addition to SG-1 to Teyla's and you'll see what I mean.

I don't know, maybe it bothers me because Teyla is so horrible. Four episodes in and I cannot loving stand her or HER PEOPLE .

Mu Zeta posted:

Why can't Teyla ever use a contraction when she speaks?
Thanks for that, now it can't be unheard. Every time she doesn't use a contraction or says MY PEOPLE I have to take a deep breath to keep from getting pissed that an awesome show is being ruined by a retarded character.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Tater_tot posted:

Is the "war on terror" a thing in the SG universe? Because there's plenty of money and secret keeping involved in that.

They do have a British guy referencing Tony Blair's post 9/11 speech at one point, but that's the only hint of it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The SG wiki has Todd listed with the name "Guide". I have no recollection of him ever saying his name ever, where the hell is this coming from?

MisterFusion posted:

I'm on S1E4 of my first real attempt at watching all of SGA (i've caught an episode here and there when it was on TV). It's the one where the Wraith keep popping up every time they go off world, so, of course, Weir suspects it may be one of the Athosian refugees who are living on Atlantis. The thing that bothers me is that we're four episodes in and Sheppard and Rodney are already completely devoted to Teyla. "C'mon, it's Teyla!! HER PEOPLE wouldn't do this!" Its annoying how quickly the writers expected us to accept her into the group without proving themselves. I mean, compare Teal'cs addition to SG-1 to Teyla's and you'll see what I mean.

I don't know, maybe it bothers me because Teyla is so horrible. Four episodes in and I cannot loving stand her or HER PEOPLE .

Thanks for that, now it can't be unheard. Every time she doesn't use a contraction or says MY PEOPLE I have to take a deep breath to keep from getting pissed that an awesome show is being ruined by a retarded character.

Really, enduring Tayla is the worst part of SGA...

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 26, 2011

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

JetsGuy posted:

The SG wiki has Todd listed with the name "Guide". I have no recollection of him ever saying his name ever, where the hell is this coming from?

From their talk page it seems to be from one of those awful fan-fiction-style books. So his name is Todd.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm pretty sure the whole reason Sheppard started naming Wraith was because they have no names.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole reason Sheppard started naming Wraith was because they have no names.

Sheppard just names poo poo. It's his thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

But he was always so emotionless and had a distinct speech pattern. His own master Bra'tac was completely different.

He wasn't emotionless, just quite reserved. Probably goes with having to order millions enslaved or murdered over several decades.

geera
May 20, 2003
My wife and I just finished watching both seasons of SGU on Netflix. I passed on it the first time around when it was on TV because it felt so boring, but I have to say, it ended up being really good. Kind of bums me out that it got canceled, I would have loved to see the beginning of a third season after how S2 ended. Is there any hope of a SGU movie to try and wrap things up?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

geera posted:

My wife and I just finished watching both seasons of SGU on Netflix. I passed on it the first time around when it was on TV because it felt so boring, but I have to say, it ended up being really good. Kind of bums me out that it got canceled, I would have loved to see the beginning of a third season after how S2 ended. Is there any hope of a SGU movie to try and wrap things up?

I think Stargate is totally dead. They even had a huge props sale with all the uniforms, etc... They'd have to start from scratch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They kept the gate though didn't they?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

They kept the gate though didn't they?

Nope.

Stargate is pretty dead until they decide they want to reboot it. Which will probably be awhile because MGM barely managed to scrape together the cash to make another one of those godawful new Bond movies and those are a license to print money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

Nope.

Stargate is pretty dead until they decide they want to reboot it. Which will probably be awhile because MGM barely managed to scrape together the cash to make another one of those godawful new Bond movies and those are a license to print money.

Well then where the hell is the gate? Does some lucky guy have it in his backyard? Or the Pegasus and Destiny gates?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Rhyno posted:

Well then where the hell is the gate? Does some lucky guy have it in his backyard? Or the Pegasus and Destiny gates?

Are the Pegasus and Destiny gates actual props or were they CGI?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Vittles posted:

Are the Pegasus and Destiny gates actual props or were they CGI?

They're pretty obviously props.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Some company bought the SGU one before the rest of the poo poo went to public auction.