Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
There is a huge matrix published on the state school's site which clearly documents which courses from the CC count toward fulfilling the state school's course requirements. Needless to say I'll be double checking everything before I take any major steps. The advisor suggested the same.

On a side note, I'm anywhere from 4 to 8 years older than most of current undergrad kiddies and I definitely felt like it while walking around campus. Oh well...

Bronze fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005
All people hope Islam helps everything in life. Islam will make jobs. Islam will make freedom. Islam will make everything
Is there any benefit to working as a contractor as opposed to being a normal company hire? Is it easier to get contractor jobs?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I had an issue where all the credits transferred, but some of the courses did not. Ended up having to retake drafting to meet the particular mix of hand and CAD drafting the school required- took architectural drafting the 2nd time around, and discovered there are a lot more coeds in architecture than engineering.

alwaysinnasomething
Jun 18, 2007
School of Mines alumni, associates:

I am an old guy (27), and I'm headed back to college. I'd like to become an engineer, engineer things, and get paid. I have 100% GI Bill (college is pretty much paid for) and am considering going to Mines for undergrad. Since the difference in tuition is a non-factor for me, is it worth living in/near Golden in order to attend SoM as opposed to a typical state school that offers an engineering program (like UNM or UC Denver)? I have heard that Mines graduates tend to be more sought after for high paying jobs, or even jobs at all, which is the primary consideration for me at this point. Is this true? If not, I'd probably want to live somewhere else while attending a different school.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.

alwaysinnasomething posted:

I am an old guy (27), and I'm headed back to college. I'd like to become an engineer, engineer things, and get paid. I have 100% GI Bill (college is pretty much paid for) and am considering going to Mines for undergrad. Since the difference in tuition is a non-factor for me, is it worth living in/near Golden in order to attend SoM as opposed to a typical state school that offers an engineering program (like UNM or UC Denver)? I have heard that Mines graduates tend to be more sought after for high paying jobs, or even jobs at all, which is the primary consideration for me at this point. Is this true? If not, I'd probably want to live somewhere else while attending a different school.

I'm going to Mines right now, and I was going to CU Boulder 6 years ago, so you can believe me when I tell you that the curriculum is way harder, they emphasize good engineering practice and learning how to learn much more than just the nitty gritty theory, you do way more engineering project experience (CU had 1 semester freshman year and your year of senior design, Mines requires another semester sophomore year and also has MEL labs to gently caress you up). They've sold out the last 3 career fairs, they say companies take a 2.5 from Mines over a 3.5 from the local state schools.

Go to Mines. It's loving hard, it really blows a lot of the time, you'll have no life, but it's worth it to really rock it out as an engineer.

I've got 2 years down for EE (though at Mines it's a BS in Engeering with an Electrical Specialty, same for Mechanical, Civil, and Environmental). I'm 26.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I'm currently a Chemistry undergrad student at Ohio State thinking about switching majors to Mining and Minerals Engineering. Unfortunately, OSU doesn't have a Mining and Minerals Engineering Program.

I'm curious, should I finish my chem undergrad then go to VT or another institution for a Mining and Minerals Engineering MS? Should I transfer?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Wickerman posted:

I'm currently a Chemistry undergrad student at Ohio State thinking about switching majors to Mining and Minerals Engineering. Unfortunately, OSU doesn't have a Mining and Minerals Engineering Program.

I'm curious, should I finish my chem undergrad then go to VT or another institution for a Mining and Minerals Engineering MS? Should I transfer?

How much further do you have to go at OSU?

I just graduated from the Mining program at VT and loved it. Jobs galore as long as you aren't a complete shithead, which is defined pretty loosely. I graduated with a 2.6 (seriously, ugh) and landed a job with a great company paying about 64k with a 3k signing bonus and full relocation package. I'd definitely push you that way if you're interested in the program. They definitely had my interests at heart and I was thoroughly 100% satisfied with them.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Wickerman posted:

VT is very good about answering transfer credit questions, I suggest contacting the Mining department and getting in touch with whoever is in charge of student class registration. The ME department person in charge was very good about letting you know what you needed and I can't imagine Mining is any different.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 11, 2013

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Can anyone help me with a FEM question? I am wondering how I can model the effects of an implant on the stability of a cornea.

There are two parts to it. One the effect of an implant/new material on the deformation of the structure when the load (internal pressure) is applied.

But there is also an effect caused by the volume that the implant occupies when first inserted, since it's stretching out the structure from the inside.

I figured I could first apply the insertion of the implant (so an expansion of an internal volume), and then take that geometry, and add the actual implants to it, then put the material properties for those and the internal pressure.

But I have no idea how I can import a deformed geometry and edit it, whether within the software or outside of it.

Using ANSYS.

More of a technical question, I know, but hey, if anyone would know, its probably somewhere here.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 26, 2011

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

"Pedro De Heredia posted:

But I have no idea how I can import a deformed geometry and edit it, whether within the software or outside of it.

Unfortunately I can't really answer your quesiton, but if you're doing linear static analysis, remember that your deformed geometry isn't actually a real deformation, but rather entirely mathematical. Linear static analysis relies on insignificant deformation as it doesn't account for any plastic effects. Be careful of taking any meaning away from large deformations in linear static analysis.

Ignore me if you know this and are doing plastic deformation, or if it's inconsequential for the analysis you're doing. I just know from experience that a not insignificant number of people use linear static analysis, see large deformations and assume that it's all correct. Hell, I've seen people see parallel plates deform through one another (as in no contact analysis) and assume the stress results were right!

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

I just know from experience that a not insignificant number of people use linear static analysis, see large deformations and assume that it's all correct. Hell, I've seen people see parallel plates deform through one another (as in no contact analysis) and assume the stress results were right!

This is why you never, ever trust someone using a commercial simulation tool if they haven't had at least some background in coding up their own solvers. Push a button, get an answer, make a pretty picture! Who needs to understand what the gently caress the program is actually doing?

To help out with the actual question at hand, there might be more people able to help out in this thread, although I don't know how many people in there are fluent with ANSYS.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 11, 2013

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Wickerman posted:

I know Virginia Tech and UKentucky have Mining Engineering programs... does anyone know of any schools with a good Mining Engineering program in Ohio?

No.

The only MinE programs in the eastern half of the US worth their salt are VT, PSU, UK, and WVU. http://www.univsource.com/mining.htm

napoleon bonerfart
Sep 15, 2008
Here's my situation. I'm entering my senior year of studying electrical engineering at a recognizable university with a solid EE department. I slacked off academically from childhood up to adulthood. Last year I figured out that I need to apply myself so I began correcting my work ethic to the tune of a 3.3 GPA in the fall and a 3.9 in the spring. My cumulative GPA rose from around 2.9 to 3.1 during this time. This was enough to secure a summer internship with a small electro-optics/laser company. I plan on trying to find a research position within my department this fall.

My goal is to study electromagnetics or RF/communications at the graduate level, but I'm not sure what paths are available with my resume, if any are. I've found myself to be more intelligent than most others in my major, and I'm certain that I'm capable of conducting quality research. Do I have a shot at fulfilling my goals, or did I waste too much time playing CivIII and drinking early in my college career? Has anyone here had a similar experience? If so, what did you end up doing?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
We need to revamp the OP of this thread.

If you're interested in going to grad school, talk to professors you'd be interested in working with, talk to the director of graduate studies at schools you're interested in, and see if you can find a place where you'd be a good fit.

Also: don't try to find an undergrad research position, find one. If you don't get the specific job you want, don't give up on another position just because you aren't as interested in the research. Ultimately it doesn't matter, you aren't going to have any real responsibilities, and any research position in undergrad is better than none.

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 30, 2011

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

napoleon bonerfart posted:

Here's my situation. I'm entering my senior year of studying electrical engineering at a recognizable university with a solid EE department. I slacked off academically from childhood up to adulthood. Last year I figured out that I need to apply myself so I began correcting my work ethic to the tune of a 3.3 GPA in the fall and a 3.9 in the spring. My cumulative GPA rose from around 2.9 to 3.1 during this time. This was enough to secure a summer internship with a small electro-optics/laser company. I plan on trying to find a research position within my department this fall.

My goal is to study electromagnetics or RF/communications at the graduate level, but I'm not sure what paths are available with my resume, if any are. I've found myself to be more intelligent than most others in my major, and I'm certain that I'm capable of conducting quality research. Do I have a shot at fulfilling my goals, or did I waste too much time playing CivIII and drinking early in my college career? Has anyone here had a similar experience? If so, what did you end up doing?

I had a 3.0 graduating from USC (my major gpa was around 3.5). I went to grad school in microwave/RF and graduated magna cum laude (i think, don't know for sure yet)

You can always go to grad school. What do you want to do? You don't need to go to stanford/mit/big name school unless you want to go into research. I choose a school that has almost entirely part time faculty that work in the bay area. I got a job (or at least it helped) at a space company because I had 2 professors that taught at my campus and I had A's in all ~8 of the classes I took with them.

napoleon bonerfart
Sep 15, 2008

mitztronic posted:

I had a 3.0 graduating from USC (my major gpa was around 3.5). I went to grad school in microwave/RF and graduated magna cum laude (i think, don't know for sure yet)

You can always go to grad school. What do you want to do? You don't need to go to stanford/mit/big name school unless you want to go into research. I choose a school that has almost entirely part time faculty that work in the bay area. I got a job (or at least it helped) at a space company because I had 2 professors that taught at my campus and I had A's in all ~8 of the classes I took with them.

Wow, that's pretty good for being in a disadvantageous position out of undergrad.

I'd like to get my master's degree in something similar to what you studied - RF or electromagnetics. I really enjoyed my EM, communications systems, and electronics (including some RF) classes. The head of our department is a hardcore analog guy, so perhaps his influence has trickled down to me through his oversight of the curriculum. I've got advanced EM, EMC, RF electronics, electro-optics, semiconductor physics and some information theory classes coming up this year, and I'm quite excited for all of them.

I think a master's would help me fulfill most of my career goals. I'd like to work for a while, do research for a while, and maybe even teach at some point on down the road. I've heard that it's best to get your master's ASAP after undergrad if you're ever planning on getting it.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.

mitztronic posted:

Where did you go to grad school?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
There are plenty of jobs, let me tell you. I went from laid off (contract employment, business winding down) to having two offers in two weeks. BS ChemE grad.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Aluminum Record posted:

Where did you go to grad school?

Santa Clara University (https://www.scu.edu). The engineering department is something like 8 fulltime and 60 or so part time prof from industry

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 7, 2011

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was forwarded this article about Bob Lutz's new book (automotive exec) and how GM's downfall can be connected to the rise of MBAs/finance background people rising to the top of the company instead of those with engineering backgrounds.

Think there will be a backlash against the MBAs or are we forever doomed? I fear I won't be able to work in an engineer run startup forever...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 10, 2023

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Can anyone point me to some examples of good resumes for an engineer (civil) with 1-2 years experience? Should I just list general skills and experience like a typical resume? Or should I include specifics about projects I've worked on and contract values? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
I'm going into Uni for a general first-year program in Canada (Ontario, if it matters). I'm undecided about the program I want to enter, but mostly I'm thinking of Civil or Mining. How healthy are/will the jobs market be for these fields? Am I better off in Mechanical, which I also find pretty interesting?

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

FooGoo posted:

Can anyone point me to some examples of good resumes for an engineer (civil) with 1-2 years experience? Should I just list general skills and experience like a typical resume? Or should I include specifics about projects I've worked on and contract values? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I think if your applying for a job that specifically states desired skills (such as stormwater/hydrology or environmental) then I would absolutely list the projects with contract amounts and your duties on those projects.

Can-O-Raid posted:

I'm going into Uni for a general first-year program in Canada (Ontario, if it matters). I'm undecided about the program I want to enter, but mostly I'm thinking of Civil or Mining. How healthy are/will the jobs market be for these fields? Am I better off in Mechanical, which I also find pretty interesting?

I'm not sure about the Canada market, but here in the midwest (Missouri), construction is way down so private civil consulting firms are hurting. The few public works projects out there are swarmed by a ton of firms looking for work. Its very competitive right now and firms are not in a position to hire new civil engineers (or any for that matter). Land development is seeing the same trend, few projects with a lot of firms stepping on each other to land them.

I'm unsure how long this trend will last. Cities have needs and crumbling infrastructure, just no great way to fund the projects. With the anti-spending attitude at the federal level and lower tax revenues from the recession this could be the norm for some time. I think land development projects may start coming through as we pull out of the downturn but word is demand may never return to what it was.

I think the public side of civil engineering is in the same boat. I know MoDOT just cut close to half of their design staff and are struggling to just do upkeep on their road system.

I will say the energy sector is booming as usual so a mining degree may fit well into that. I continually kick myself because I did not go into a more energy/environmental job right out of college.

fishhooked fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 13, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Can-O-Raid posted:

Don't worry about it for now. Just go to the info nights for every discipline, and then choose what you like based on what sounds interesting to you, and what courses you enjoy / are good at. The info nights where I went were incredibly helpful about explaining what type of jobs they led to, and what kind of courses you should enjoy, etc.

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

alwaysinnasomething posted:

Mines alumni here as well. I am a huge fan of the education I received, but be warned...they will work the poo poo out of you.

An easy comparison is to call the school and talk to the career center about job placement statistics for engineering graduates. Mines is a respected school in industry and it shows in the placement statistics. I know Mines publishes theirs and I imagine you can find similar data from the other school you mentioned. That should put some data to the reputation.

Additionally since you are bit older then the average student you could consider living a bit closer to Denver and commuting. Personally I really like the area near Golden and with the light rail going in you have easy access to the city. It will also be easier to assimilate into the fact that engineers spend a lot of time hitting the books if you live nearby and are surrounded by students doing just that.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

TrueChaos posted:

Don't worry about it for now. Just go to the info nights for every discipline, and then choose what you like based on what sounds interesting to you, and what courses you enjoy / are good at. The info nights where I went were incredibly helpful about explaining what type of jobs they led to, and what kind of courses you should enjoy, etc.

Thanks, it's reassuring to know that the University helps students out when choosing. Nice choice of Uni, by the way; Queens '15 :science:.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I'm getting pretty anxious for my upcoming Co-Op this Fall, it'll be my first. Anyone got any suggestions/advice?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Ask lots of questions, no one will expect you to come in knowing how to do anything anyway.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 10, 2023

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Seriously though if they know youre green they expect you to be dumb as poo poo. If you know how to use a power drill thatd be good. If you wipe your OWN rear end thatd be good too.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Lord Gaga posted:

Seriously though if they know youre green they expect you to be dumb as poo poo. If you know how to use a power drill thatd be good. If you wipe your OWN rear end thatd be good too.

poo poo, I've been in my first full time job out of school for 7 weeks and my boss was surprised I knew what a goddamned jam nut was.

haha.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I'm entering my senior year as a computer science/math double major. How dumb/possible would it be to pick up a degree in something like aerospace/mechanical/electrical engineering in a couple of years afterward? My school doesn't offer these, so I'd have to find a new school.

Would studying CS with some particular field of engineering open any interesting doors? The only engineering disciplines offered at my school are biomedical, environmental, and civil, so there's nothing that really works with CS here.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 16, 2011

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Safe and Secure! posted:

Would studying CS with some form of engineering open any interesting doors or should I just get a software engineering job and buy some physics books if I want to study physics? The only engineering disciplines offered at my school are biomedical, environmental, and civil, so there's nothing that really works with CS here.

Basically this, but go back to grad school for physics or whatever you want to do. If you manage to find the right kind of place to work you'll be able to go back to school on the company's tab.

I did the opposite and got a EE undergrad and I'm going back for my Comp Sci masters right now.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Does anyone know much about what Environmental Engineering internships are or entail? I've got a lead on one - unpaid as it is - and would like to have some resume padding, and some practical experience too, if I could get more than just "takes samples of blah" at my stage. I'm still essentially a sophomore, at a CC, taking the core perquisites, etc, but if I get in, why not?

Also, should I take an unpaid internship if I can afford to?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Plinkey posted:

Basically this, but go back to grad school for physics or whatever you want to do. If you manage to find the right kind of place to work you'll be able to go back to school on the company's tab.

I did the opposite and got a EE undergrad and I'm going back for my Comp Sci masters right now.

Alright, I'll start looking at masters programs, then. I forgot that some companies will pay for them. Thanks!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Safe and Secure! posted:

Alright, I'll start looking at masters programs, then. I forgot that some companies will pay for them. Thanks!

Do you have a job yet? That is probably more important at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Also, should I take an unpaid internship if I can afford to?

No, because unpaid internships drive down the cost of labor and give businesses the idiotic impression that you are a completely disposable worker. The only possible exception I would make to this is working for certain NGOs or non-profits, but by accepting an unpaid internship, you are negatively impacting the entire engineering discipline.