Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

To make full use of Morninglord, you want to do radiant damage with every attack. To make full use of the WinterFrost combo, you want to do cold damage with every attack. It is easy to do radiant damage with every attack, and it is easy to do cold damage with every attack.

How, exactly, do you plan to do BOTH cold AND radiant damage with near every attack? There are precious few powers that do both cold AND radiant damage, and using a weapliment to change all the damage types means you have to pick one or the other.

Morninglord rewards you for using radiant powers. A Radiant Weapon turn any power into a radiant power. Similarly, WinterFrost rewards you for using cold powers, and a Frost Weapon turns any power into a cold power. You want to get the reward from your PP and/or feat combo as often as possible.

If you go radiant, you can use a Sun Disk of Pelor to change all your implement powers into radiant powers. However, using a Radiant Weapon as a weapliment has two advantages over the Sun Disk: (a) it allows you to also change weapon powers (like Eldritch Strike) into radiant powers, and (b) Radiant Weapon gives you 2x the enhancement bonus to damage rolls, which, in terms of feat:damage is worth roughly twice weapon/implement focus, making it a really good deal.

That's where I wasn't understanding the problem. I thought by adding Arcane Admixture (Cold) with a Radiant Weapon I would be doing both Cold AND Radiant Damage. I misunderstood the exact wording of the Radiant Weapon, not thinking it would over-write all other damage types. Thanks for helping me understand that.

Your help with why taking Arcane Implement Proficiency is also really appreciated. Now I understand why it's important to take.

Looks like I'll be replacing those feats with Arcane Implement Proficiency, Deadly Draw, and Weapon Focus. Thanks Alfred.

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Note that you can use a Crusdaer's Weapon to do half radiant damage, if the base power does cold, you can get both. To the best of my knowledge the easiest way to take advantage of this is half-elf/eldritch strike/arcane admixture. I fiddled about with a blackguard that used it, but never got much further than messing about.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
It's also worth noting that whether the two vulnerabilities would stack at all is not entirely clear. The example given in the RC states that a creature with vuln. 5 psychic and vuln. 2 all still only takes 5 extra damage from psychic attacks.

The combat advantage would still apply, though Deadly Draw gives you that as well.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I am extremely jealous of the 45ish DPR stuff that the people on the char-op forums come up with. I made a blackguard and I think I did a good job optimizing him, but normal rounds I'm averaging about 20-25 damage. Can you guys give me any pointers?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Rhaego, level 6
Human, Blackguard
Vice: Vice of Domination
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 9, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 17, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 9, CHA 15

AC: 26 Fort: 21 Ref: 18 Will: 21
HP: 57 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +10, Bluff +12, Endurance +6, Intimidate +12, Religion +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics –1, Arcana +3, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +3, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Stealth –1, Streetwise +6, Thievery –1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Paladin Attack: Dread Smite
Paladin Utility: Shroud of Shadow
Paladin Attack 1: Valiant Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Vengeance Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Dominator's Strike
Paladin Utility 2: Vice's Reward
Paladin Utility 2: Bless Weapon
Paladin Utility 4: Servant of Vice
Paladin Attack 5: Frenzying Smite

FEATS
Level 1: Axe Expertise
Level 1: Cunning Stalker
Level 2: Superior Will
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Waraxe)
Level 6: Power of Skill

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Badge of the Berserker +1 x1
Veteran's Plate Armor +2 x1
Frost Waraxe +2 x1
Shield of Silver Light Heavy Shield (heroic tier) x1
Horned Helm (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

My attacks are +13 to hit, +7 to damage. I do a lot of charging.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Blackguards just aren't that hot at putting out big damage. Especially not Human Domination ones, they just don't have the stat points to throw around - your Reflex is suffering - and that's including a shield, a Human's and a Paladin's defence bumps...

Also, if you're going to burn a feat on weapon proficiency, get a Gouge for goodness' sake - nothing in the game is better for a charging character. If you're going weapon-and-board, you don't lose much by using a Rapier - indeed, if you have CA, and you should, your d8+1 from Light Blade Expertise is closing fast on the D12 damage from your Waraxe, and the +3 proficiency will increase your damage too.

Fury is better for a Human Blackguard - if you or anything adjacent is bloodied, it will actually give you more bonus to your damage on every attack, at present, than Domination does 1/round for a THP cost.

Using Valiant Strike is great though - and it's worth bearing in mind that your accuracy should be poo poo-hot, so you can handle dropping a bit of damage per hit, when you're hitting much more often than most strikers (and your extra ongoing damage is not to be discounted, particularly when you start using Lasting Frost and a Frost Weapon in Paragon).

Why are you starting with WIS of 9? Drop it to 8 (actually, drop INT to 8, and you might be able to get some mileage out of WIS later for Pally feats) and you free up a build point to put somewhere useful.

So in short: go Fury. Either use a Gouge, or use a Rapier, and put that weapon proficiency feat to better use. When you do go Fury, redistribute your stats a bit to put you 1 point lower in CHA mod, and get something in DEX - you can't kill anything if they kill you first.

But expecting to hit 45 DPR at 6th is pretty unrealistic with a Human Blackguard. You could probably do it with some twinked-out gimmick builds, but it's just not easy on a class without native multi-attacks.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just another real quick question. I'm sticking with the ranger class, but I'm wondering what all of the essential "feat tax" and/or "math fix" feats are out there that I need?

Off the top of my head, I've got:
Eladrin Soldier - PH1 (I'm Eladrin)
Two-Weapon Fighting - PH1 (I'm a DW Ranger)
Weapon Specialization - PH1

What other math feats will I need before I start dipping into more specialized stuff like Wintertouched and Lasting Frost?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, if you're going to burn a feat on weapon proficiency, get a Gouge for goodness' sake - nothing in the game is better for a charging character. If you're going weapon-and-board, you don't lose much by using a Rapier - indeed, if you have CA, and you should, your d8+1 from Light Blade Expertise is closing fast on the D12 damage from your Waraxe, and the +3 proficiency will increase your damage too.

Thanks for the advice. I'm working on this, but I can't figure out which of the proficiency skills give you a +3 bonus. Light blade expertise is +1dmg/attack, and there is no rapier or light blade proficiency.

I also grabbed a Vanguard Rapier instead of a regular one for extra +++ to charge

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

bacon! posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm working on this, but I can't figure out which of the proficiency skills give you a +3 bonus. Light blade expertise is +1dmg/attack, and there is no rapier or light blade proficiency.

I also grabbed a Vanguard Rapier instead of a regular one for extra +++ to charge

Proficiency bonus is something inherent to weapons, it's not really a skill per se. Light Blade Expertise applies to all Light Blades, which includes sub-weapons (Rapier, Dagger, etc.) Of those individual weapons, each comes with a proficiency bonus; Rapiers get +3, Daggers also get +3, Kukris get +2, whatever.

Also, there are good ways to play a Human Domination Blackguard - you have to use the bonus At-Will power to grab an at-will from the base Paladin chassis and go pure Charisma. That at-will is Virtuous Strike, which lets you use Charisma for basic attacks and has some very attractive riders.

You end up pretty much dumping strength since you'll never end up using it and ignoring some of your attacks, but you get to double-dip on your bonuses. A level 1 Human Charisma Blackguard does 1d10 + 5 (Base Charisma) + 5 (Dark Menace) + 5 (Spirit of Vice) damage on attacks, plus another 7 (Dread Smite) and 5 ongoing. That's a pretty crazy 1d10+22, not including the ongoing damage or feat bonuses; the problem is that it's hard to get consistent THP without the Dominator's Strike at-will to use Spirit of Domination, but once you reach higher levels and can pick up utility powers like Virtue you're pretty much set.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

bacon! posted:

I am extremely jealous of the 45ish DPR stuff that the people on the char-op forums come up with. I made a blackguard and I think I did a good job optimizing him, but normal rounds I'm averaging about 20-25 damage. Can you guys give me any pointers?

Since your blackguard is doing cold damage a lot, picking of winterfrost/lasting frost is a pretty good and solid way to bump up your damage. Your rider would ongoing would bump up to 10 and your initial hit would do 5 extra, it's a worthwhile contribution.

adaz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 26, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm building a Swarm Druid for AOE damage and being tanky, since my group has a lot of ranged and very little AOE. Is this a good build for it?

Note: The point buy is higher than normal and the three free feats are houserules. (Focus and Expertise for free, and 1 free feat at level 1)

code:
Emilia, level 12
Half-Elf, Druid, Blightbeast
Primal Aspect: Primal Swarm
Half elf Power Selection: Knack For Success

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 21, Dex 11, Int 12, Wis 23, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 8.

AC: 24 Fort: 27 Reflex: 24 Will: 29
HP: 88 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +17, Arcana +12, Perception +17, Heal +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +12, Endurance +10, 
History +7, Insight +14, Intimidate +5, Religion +7, Stealth +5, Streetwise +5, Thievery +5, Athletics +5

FEATS
Druid: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Improved Defenses
Level 2: Cunning Stalker
Level 4: Enraged Boar Form
Level 6: Hide Armor Expertise
Level 8: Stinging Swarm
Level 10: Ferocious Tiger Form
Level 11: Bolstered Swarm
Feat User Choice: Staff Expertise
Feat User Choice: Implement Focus (Staff)
Level 12: Hunting Wolf Form
Feat User Choice: Battlewise

POWERS
Druid at-will 1: Swarming Locusts
Druid at-will 1: Flame Seed
Druid at-will 1: Grasping Claws
Druid encounter 1: Scattered Form
Druid daily 1: Savage Frenzy
Druid utility 2: Barkskin
Druid encounter 3: Flowing Swarm
Druid daily 5: Clinging Drones
Druid utility 6: Swarm Dispersal
Druid encounter 7: Poison Sting
Druid daily 9: Flurry of Stingers
Druid utility 10: Feywild Sojourn

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

bacon! posted:

I am extremely jealous of the 45ish DPR stuff that the people on the char-op forums come up with. I made a blackguard and I think I did a good job optimizing him, but normal rounds I'm averaging about 20-25 damage. Can you guys give me any pointers? I do a lot of charging.

Optimize for charging. Max Charisma, get 17 Dex, use Virtuous Strike for MBAs, multiclass rogue, pick up a gouge, take Surprising Charge.

Alternatively, play a Tiefling with the same stats, get Wrath of the Crimson Legion instead of using Virtuous Strike, get Icy Clutch of Stygia for more damage on your Smite.

Siets posted:

Just another real quick question. I'm sticking with the ranger class, but I'm wondering what all of the essential "feat tax" and/or "math fix" feats are out there that I need?

Expertise, and if you're starting in paragon, bastard swords (you swap eladrin soldier for weapon focus since the two don't stack).

Endorph posted:

I'm building a Swarm Druid for AOE damage and being tanky, since my group has a lot of ranged and very little AOE. Is this a good build for it?

No, your AC is awful. Swarm Druids have two secondaries, which blows (Con for riders and DR, and Dex for AC). Enemies will pretty much auto-hit your AC and it's only going to get worse as you level.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'll try and make the AC better. I more meant in the "not-made of paper" sense, anyway. Obviously I have no dreams of being a defender, I just want to be able to take a few hits.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah, well, when enemies hit your AC on, like, 4's, you're basically made of paper. Shaving 5 damage off will mean rather little, especially with the MM3-MV damage numbers in play.

(What I'm trying to say is that swarm druids aren't very good, which breaks my heart because I think the concept is awesome.)

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

Thank you guys for the advice. I think I did this right (He's level 7 now, because he will level up next play session). Switched to CHA, Rapiers, rogue multiclass, etc. Also dropped the STR daily in favor of a paladin spell that gives radiant vulnerability. Probably won't use it very often, but whatever.

I think a successful sneaked charge will do w/ smite:
1D8 (base) + 1D6 (horned helm) + 1D8 (surprising charge) + 2D6 (sneak attack) + 1D8 (vanguard weapon) + 9 (base) + 5 (dark menace) + 2 (spirit of vice) + 7 (shroud of shadow) + 7 (dread smite) + 7 ongoing

3D8 + 3D6 + 30 + 7 ongoing. Not bad

Rhaego, level 7
Human, Blackguard
Vice: Vice of Fury
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 20

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 17

AC: 26 Fort: 16 Ref: 21 Will: 21
HP: 62 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +4, Bluff +13, Endurance +4, Intimidate +13, Religion +8, Thievery +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +3, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +3, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Stealth +2, Streetwise +8

POWERS
Paladin Attack: Dread Smite
Paladin Utility: Shroud of Shadow
Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Vengeance Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Ferocious Strike
Paladin Utility 2: Vice's Reward
Paladin Utility 2: Bless Weapon
Paladin Utility 4: Servant of Vice
Paladin Attack 5: Sign of Vulnerability

FEATS
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 1: Cunning Stalker
Level 2: Action Surge
Level 4: Sneak of Shadows
Level 6: Surprising Charge

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Badge of the Berserker +1 x1
Veteran's Plate Armor +2 x1
Shield of Silver Light Heavy Shield (heroic tier) x1
Horned Helm (heroic tier) x1
Vanguard Rapier +2 x1
Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Siets posted:

What other math feats will I need before I start dipping into more specialized stuff like Wintertouched and Lasting Frost?

Eladrin soldier doesn't stack with Weapon focus, (or silvery glow, if you want to go that route), which means you should be either getting weapon prof: bastard sword, or spiked chain training (which burns your MC feat slot).

The "math fix" feats are improved defenses and the feat of your choice that hands out +1/2/3 to your chosen weapon group.

I would think long and hard about going down the spiked chain route. Considering that you have a very sub-optimal race for a melee ranger, you're going to get all the help you need to blow monsters up with your attacks. The Spiked Chain gets to get all of the light blade accuracy helpers, which will assist you in not missing your targets. You probably want to forget Swift blade style, as it becomes higher in value as you have higher accuracy.
If you go with a bastard sword ranger you want (in no particular order):
Heavy Blade expertise
Weapon Focus: Heavy Blades (or Silvery Glow for wintertouched, requires you to worship sehanine)
Two-Weapon Fighting

If you go spiked chain then it's:
Spiked Chain training
Light Blade expertise
Weapon Focus: Light Blades (or Silvery Glow for wintertouched, requires you to worship sehanine)
Two-Weapon FIghting
Nimble Blade (optional, but pretty good)
Swift blade style (also optional but pretty sweet)

There are also a few other feats worth checking out, but

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

bacon! posted:

Thank you guys for the advice. I think I did this right (He's level 7 now, because he will level up next play session). Switched to CHA, Rapiers, rogue multiclass, etc. Also dropped the STR daily in favor of a paladin spell that gives radiant vulnerability. Probably won't use it very often, but whatever.

Much as I like the Rogue multiclass feat and Surprising Charge (it is pretty drat good), it's not required. There are some pretty good ways to boost damage that don't involve charging, and as it is you may or may not be able to guarantee combat advantage - which is a larger boost than charging is, even with surprising charge. It also hurts your ability scores quite a bit to get it as a human, especially as DEX isn't inherently that useful for Paladins.

I might swap your scores around (pump CHA instead, which should be 21 at this point and hitting 22 at level 8) and putting a starting score of 14 into CON, which will give you a bit more HP/Fortitude defense. Consider some of the following feats;

1) Power of the Sun; after you hit a target with Virtuous Strike, they gain +3/5/8 radiant vulnerability UEoNT. That's quite a bit more damage on subsequent attacks for you, and if anyone else in the party can take advantage of it then it gets straight-up obscene. Plus it makes Bless Weapon simply unfair (vulnerability applies twice since it's a separate damage roll, not to mention the bonus crit chance).

2) Silvery Glow is pretty much 'weapon focus but better' when you're using radiant attacks, and is a great feat.

There's something else too, but I can't think of it now.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

RPZip posted:

1) Power of the Sun; after you hit a target with Virtuous Strike, they gain +3/5/8 radiant vulnerability UEoNT. That's quite a bit more damage on subsequent attacks for you, and if anyone else in the party can take advantage of it then it gets straight-up obscene. Plus it makes Bless Weapon simply unfair (vulnerability applies twice since it's a separate damage roll, not to mention the bonus crit chance).

That interpretation of Bless Weapon seems a bit out of line; the text says that "it deals 1d6 extra radiant damage on a hit", with "it" referring to the weapon. I could see your reasoning if it said something like "whenever you hit a creature with the weapon, that creature takes 1d6 radiant damage", but it looks like the extra damage is meant to be subsumed under a single damage roll.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Taking a break from DMing and letting a friend dm for a adventure. Staring at level 16 since some folks didn't want to swap characters and decided I wanted the chargiest charge man who ever charged.

I don't know, I think he's pretty much good but wanted to make sure I didn't overlook something - granted I took 2 MC cleric feats simply because of the flavor of him being a Minotaur Barbarian Cleric of Bane (After all, Bane :3: axe wieldin' charge dudes right?) but i'm willing to listen to other suggestion.

Char sheet pdf here: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B6fDeSkDaFY0OWQyMTIxMjctNWMzYS00MzhmLWJmOTUtYjk2ZjQ2NWY4Yjcx&hl=en_US

or summary below:

Kharn, level 16
Minotaur, Barbarian, Beastblooded Minotaur
Build: Rageblood Barbarian
Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
Inherent Bonuses
Occupation - Zealous Slayer (+2 to Endurance)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 24, CON 14, DEX 14, INT 11, WIS 16, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 30 Fort: 31 Ref: 25 Will: 28
HP: 119 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 29

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +19, Endurance +16, Nature +18, Religion +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +8, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +11, Heal +11, History +8, Insight +11, Intimidate +7, Perception +13, Stealth +9, Streetwise +7, Thievery +9

POWERS
Minotaur Racial Power: Goring Charge
Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
Barbarian Feature: Rage Strike
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Cleric Feature: Healer's Mercy
Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
Barbarian Attack 1: Recuperating Strike
Barbarian Utility 2: Feral Rejuvenation
Barbarian Attack 3: Blade Sweep
Barbarian Attack 5: Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Barbarian Utility 6: Combat Surge
Barbarian Attack 7: Curtain of Steel
Barbarian Attack 9: Rage of the Death Spirit
Endurance Utility 10: Reactive Surge
Beastblooded Minotaur Attack 11: Sweeping Gore
Beastblooded Minotaur Utility 12: Thrashing Horns
Barbarian Attack 13: Storm of Blades
Barbarian Attack 15: Thunderfury Rage
Barbarian Utility 16: Spur the Cycle

FEATS
Level 1: Powerful Charge
Level 2: Axe Expertise
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Execution axe)
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Axe)
Level 8: Reckless Charge
Level 10: Deadly Rage
Level 11: Superior Will
Level 12: Charging Rampage
Level 14: Initiate of the Faith
Level 16: Divine Channeler (Cleric)

ITEMS
Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
Vicious Execution axe +4 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Sunrod
Hempen Rope (50 ft.)
Climber's Kit
Everburning Torch
Silk Rope (50 ft.)
Trail Rations
Boots of Striding (heroic tier) x1
Belt of Vim (heroic tier) x1
Circlet of Indomitability (heroic tier) x1
Veteran's Hide Armor +4 x1
Gloves of Grace (heroic tier)
====== End ======

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
MC Fighter, Surprising Charge with a warshovel. Also swap Ax for Spear Expertise. And get a Badge of the Berserker, and a Vanguard weapon, and a Horned Helm. Might as well powerswap for Rain of Blows or some Fighter immediate while you're at it. And you can replace that lovely PP with Kensei at least (or Kulkor if you can find a reliable way to use it).

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

MC Fighter, Surprising Charge with a warshovel. Also swap Ax for Spear Expertise. And get a Badge of the Berserker, and a Vanguard weapon, and a Horned Helm. Might as well powerswap for Rain of Blows or some Fighter immediate while you're at it. And you can replace that lovely PP with Kensei at least (or Kulkor if you can find a reliable way to use it).

We're using house item rules, can't take any of those items as they are uncommon otherwise I would've. However, I had missed vanguard weapons when looking through everything,so thanks for that, and gently caress if I know why I picked an execution axe was just liking the flavor of a gigantic gently caress all axe I guess, but spears are definitely better when charging.

Good call on Kensei. Original plan was at 18 to pick up polearm gamble and retrain into quick draw so after my charges I could act as a backup defender (plus polearm with paragon path would give me reach three)... but I think Kensei is just too good even if I like the flavor of beastbloodied minotaur. I always do that when building characters for myself and paragon paths, pick the flavor ones over the effective ones.

Thanks!

e: wait I remembered why I didn't use a spear, unless I am wrong (very possible), the bonus won't stack with powerful charge as they are both untyped bonuses from feats right? Or am I missing something?

adaz fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 29, 2011

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Untyped bonuses stack, while "feat bonuses" don't.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Untyped bonuses stack, while "feat bonuses" don't.

well I was curious and thinking I was wrong so I looked it up, and they don't if they are from the same type like I thought unless I am reading this wrong?

http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/glossary.aspx?id=536

quote:

Untyped Bonus: Some bonuses have no type (“a +2 bonus,” for instance). Most of these bonuses are situational and combine with other bonuses, including other untyped bonuses. However, untyped bonuses from the same named game element (such as a power or a feat) are not cumulative; only the highest applies, unless otherwise noted.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

adaz posted:

untyped bonuses from the same named game element (such as a power or a feat)

"Feats" is not a named game element. What they mean by that is if you had two allies with the same power/feat which grants you +2 untyped to hit, you'd only get +2. If two people use Furious Smash on the same enemy, you don't get that bonus damage twice.

Note the "a power"/"a feat," which denotes that they're talking about individual powers and feats and not the category as a whole.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Expertise, and if you're starting in paragon, bastard swords (you swap eladrin soldier for weapon focus since the two don't stack).
Huh. Well we did start at level 1. Is Eladrin Soldier really a bad feat? It seems to offer so much in one package. I'll pick up Weapon Expertise though, thanks.

Also can anyone tell me which book I can find Improved Defenses in? It's probably in a book I already own, but the compendium just says "multiple sources".

Silvery Glow looks really good. Definitely goin to have to pick that up. Funny how WotC puts out a feat like that. "If you want better balanced damage scaling, you better worship this specific deity! :eng101:"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemon Curdistan posted:

"Feats" is not a named game element. What they mean by that is if you had two allies with the same power/feat which grants you +2 untyped to hit, you'd only get +2. If two people use Furious Smash on the same enemy, you don't get that bonus damage twice.

Note the "a power"/"a feat," which denotes that they're talking about individual powers and feats and not the category as a whole.
To add to the confusion a bit: Some feats give you a bonus typed as a "feat bonus", which as a named bonus will never stack with another "feat" bonus.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Siets posted:

Huh. Well we did start at level 1. Is Eladrin Soldier really a bad feat? It seems to offer so much in one package. I'll pick up Weapon Expertise though, thanks.

Eladrin Soldier is quite good, but +1 to hit is better.

quote:

Also can anyone tell me which book I can find Improved Defenses in? It's probably in a book I already own, but the compendium just says "multiple sources".

It's in the Essentials books.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Ah ok, so I was reading it wrong, thanks for the clarification. Sometimes the bonus stacking gets confusing

adaz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 29, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Would it be worthwhile for a heroic tier Bard to pick up proficiency with a Parrying Dagger? I figure that way I could put a Songblade enchantment on the Parrying Dagger to use it as a "wand", freeing up the longsword in his main hand for a more optimal melee enchantment. Plus this way he'd keep the AC bonus the shield would have granted, and free up the arms slot for a bracer.

The downsides would be expending a feat, losing a point of Reflex defense, and having one more magic item to spend money on. It seems to me like the trade-off would be worth it for the versatility, but I also have a tendency to do dumb things in RPGs just because they sound awesome, so I'm looking for a second opinion :)

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Thundarr posted:

Would it be worthwhile for a heroic tier Bard to pick up proficiency with a Parrying Dagger? I figure that way I could put a Songblade enchantment on the Parrying Dagger to use it as a "wand", freeing up the longsword in his main hand for a more optimal melee enchantment. Plus this way he'd keep the AC bonus the shield would have granted, and free up the arms slot for a bracer.

The downsides would be expending a feat, losing a point of Reflex defense, and having one more magic item to spend money on. It seems to me like the trade-off would be worth it for the versatility, but I also have a tendency to do dumb things in RPGs just because they sound awesome, so I'm looking for a second opinion :)

You can use a (non-magical) shield and a magical bracer, you just can't get a magic shield and a magic bracer at the same time.

It's not a terrible option but I think you'll probably be happier with one item that covers both implement and weapon effects, rather than having to upgrade both of them to stay current with enhancement bonuses. If you barely use any (or no) implement attacks on your bard it's much less of a problem.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
For the same feat you could get Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blades) and keep the shield. You'd also only have to keep up with one enhancement bonus.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize that Arcane Implement Proficiency would let me use Heavy Blade as an option. Thank you, Spellswords! I'd also forgotten that a non-magical shield didn't actually eat up the arms slot for magic items.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thundarr posted:

If you have feats to spare on a melee character, you'd be far better off grabbing two-weapon fighting, two-weapon defence and a Rhythm Blade dagger. +2 shield bonus, no skill check penalty. And you can throw the dagger.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

For the same feat you could get Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blades) and keep the shield. You'd also only have to keep up with one enhancement bonus.

Shouldn't a Bard just pick up Multiclass Swordmage instead of AIP?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Klungar posted:

I've heard about picking the proficiency up that way, but actually gaining implement proficiency isn't mentioned in either of the two Swordmage multiclass feats as written. Unless of course they got errata'd later.

And somehow I'd completely spaced out about Rhythm Blade, probably since I haven't gone over the item sets section of AV2 recently. That actually sounds like it'd be the best option, when combined with a Songblade longsword as his primary melee weapon. Full bonus on both weapon and implement attacks, scaling AC and Reflex bonus (as long as I keep the dagger up-to-date), and the arms slot is freed up. I skimped on Dex in favor of Int so the Two Weapon Fighting/Defense feats can't be taken just yet, but they wouldn't be required simply to hold a Rhythm Blade dagger in the off hand and gain benefits from it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yep. You lose absolutely nothing from doing so as a Bard. All the MC Implement class feats now give implement proficiency - they were errated.

You can't, however, gain the Rhythm Blade property without a pre-existing shield bonus, so it doesn't work without TWD - but you could use a Rod and Rod Expertise, which would get you a shield bonus to increase. If you don't already have a shield bonus, Rhythm Blade doesn't provide one.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Klungar posted:

If you're Cunning, sure. As a Valor bard I probably wouldn't want to spend the points on Int.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

OK, looks like one of the Swordmage multiclass feats would be the way to go then. Especially since I posted before actually checking on Rhythm Blade - it gives the same AC bonus regardless of enhancement. And since it apparently won't give anything without Two Weapon Defense then it's a no-go.

Good thing Bards can take as many multiclass feats as they want, so I can hang onto the Ardent multiclass feat too.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Thundarr posted:

OK, looks like one of the Swordmage multiclass feats would be the way to go then. Especially since I posted before actually checking on Rhythm Blade - it gives the same AC bonus regardless of enhancement. And since it apparently won't give anything without Two Weapon Defense then it's a no-go.

Good thing Bards can take as many multiclass feats as they want, so I can hang onto the Ardent multiclass feat too.

You can end all with all sort of ridiculous poo poo with the bard multiclassing rules. It owns.
I have a Bard/Sorcerer/Rogue/Warlock/Cleric. So many extra encounter powers and skills!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I'm trying to make a good Battlemind aggro-tank with debuff effects, but it just doesn't seem to be coming together like I want it to. Will somebody help me make this good?

pre:
Adrik
Dwarf Battlemind (Battlemind) / Iron Guardian
Level 16, Good, 4'4", 220 lbs
XP: 69000
Languages: Common, Dwarven

Str  11 ( +0) +10(Starting)+1(Level 11)
Con  24 ( +7) +18(Starting)+2(Dwarf)+4(Levels 4, 8, 11, 14)
Dex  13 ( +1) +11(Starting)+2(Levels 11, 14)
Int   9 ( -1) +8(Starting)+1(Level 11)
Wis  19 ( +4) +14(Starting)+2(Dwarf)+3(Levels 4, 8, 11)
Cha  11 ( +0) +10(Starting)+1(Level 11)

Hit Points
	Max HP:     139 +24(Con)+15(Battlemind 1)+5(Toughness)+90(Battlemind 16)
	Bloodied:    69 +69(1/2 HP)
	Surge:       34 +34(1/4 HP)
	Surges/Day:  18 +9(Battlemind)+2(Durable)+7(Con mod)

Defenses and Senses
	AC:   32 +10(Constant)+8(1/2 Level)+10(Wyrmscale Armor)+4(Dwarven Armor +4)
	Fort: 30 +10(Constant)+8(1/2 Level)+0(Fortitude Defense Class Bonus)+1(Paragon Defenses)+4(Amulet of Protection +4)+7(Con mod)
	Ref:  24 +10(Constant)+8(1/2 Level)+0(Reflex Defense Class Bonus)+1(Paragon Defenses)+4(Amulet of Protection +4)+1(Dex mod)
	Will: 29 +10(Constant)+8(1/2 Level)+2(Will Defense Class Bonus)+1(Paragon Defenses)+4(Amulet of Protection +4)+4(Wis mod)

Passive Perception:  22 +12(Perception)+10(Constant)
	Passive Insight:     22 +12(Insight)+10(Constant)

Initiative: 11 +8(1/2 Level)+2(Initiative Misc)+1(Dex mod)
	Speed:       5 +5(Dwarf)+0(Encumbered Speed)-1(Wyrmscale Armor)
	Vision:     Low-light

Conditional Defenses:
		All Defenses +2 Deceptive Mind
		AC +1 Dexterity modifier

Race and Class Features
	Dwarven Weapon Proficiency [Dwarf]
	     Proficient with hammers.
	Cast-Iron Stomach [Dwarf]
	     +5 bonus to saving throws against poison.
	Encumbered Speed [Dwarf]
	     Armor or heavy load doesn't reduce your speed. (Other effects still can.)
	Dwarven Resilience [Dwarf]
	     Second wind is minor action.
	Stand Your Ground [Dwarf]
	     Can move 1 less when forced to move. Immediate saving throw to avoid being knocked prone.
	Dungeoneering Bonus [Dwarf]

Endurance Bonus [Dwarf]

Psionic Augmentation [Battlemind]
	     Gain augmentable at-wills instead of encounter powers.
	Psionic Defense [Battlemind]
	     Gain battlemind's demand, blurred step, and mind spike powers
	Psionic Study [Battlemind]
	     Battlemind may pick the speed of thought or battle resilience power
	Battle Resilience [Battlemind]

Indomitable Iron [Iron Guardian]
	     Spend action point for extra action to gain +4 to AC and damage rolls until end of next turn
	Iron Control [Iron Guardian]
	     Slide enemy 2 squares as a free action after you are pushed or pulled
	Paragon Power Points [Iron Guardian]
	     Gain 2 power points.
	Impenetrable Iron [Iron Guardian]
	     Roll 10+ on a d20 to turn a critical hit on you into a normal hit

Feats
	Deceptive Mind
	     +2 to all defenses when using battle resilience
	Toughness
	     Gain 5 additional hit points per tier
	Timely Respite
	     Second wind or total defense grants saving throw
	Unfailing Vigor
	     Spend a healing surge if you roll 18–20 on death saving throw
	Spring Step
	     Shift 1 square when you stand up
	Durable
	     Increase number of healing surges by 2
	Paragon Defenses
	     +1 to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
	Unfailing Courage

Defiant Fire
	     Regain battle resilience when first bloodied
	Versatile Expertise
	     Bonus to attacks with weapons and implements of your choice
	Quick Draw
	     Draw a weapon with attack action, +2 to initiative

Powers
	At-Will
	Battlemind's Demand  [Minor Action]
	Blurred Step  [Opportunity Action]
	Mind Spike  [Immediate Reaction]
	Mist Weapon  [Standard Action]
	     Greataxe of Great Opportunity +3 - Attack: 22 vs. Reflex,  Damage: 1d12+10
	     Unarmed - Attack: 15 vs. Reflex,  Damage: 1d4+7
	Lightning Rush  [Immediate Interrupt]
	     Greataxe of Great Opportunity +3 - Attack: 22 vs. AC,  Damage: 1d12+10
	     Unarmed - Attack: 15 vs. AC,  Damage: 1d4+7
	Iron Defense  [Standard Action]
	Web of Betrayal  [Standard Action]
	     Greataxe of Great Opportunity +3 - Attack: 22 vs. AC,  Damage: 1d12+10 (Psychic)  
	     Unarmed - Attack: 15 vs. AC,  Damage: 1d4+7 (Psychic)  

Encounter
	Battle Resilience  [Free Action]
	Telepathic Challenge  [Minor Action]
	Walk It Off  [No Action]
	Guardian's Might  [Standard Action]
	     Greataxe of Great Opportunity +3 - Attack: 22 vs. AC,  Damage: 1d12+14
	     Unarmed - Attack: 15 vs. AC,  Damage: 1d4+11
	Second Wind  [Minor Action]
	Action Point  [Free Action]

Daily
	Predator to Prey  [Standard Action]
	     Greataxe of Great Opportunity +3 - Attack: 22 vs. Will,  Damage: 2d12+10
	     Unarmed - Attack: 15 vs. Will,  Damage: 2d4+7
	Intellect Hammer  [Standard Action]
	     Greataxe of Great Opportunity +3 - Attack: 22 vs. AC,  Damage: 1d12+10
	     Unarmed - Attack: 15 vs. AC,  Damage: 1d4+7
	Iron Warding  [Immediate Interrupt]
	Mind Blade  [Standard Action]
	     Greataxe of Great Opportunity +3 - Attack: 22 vs. Will,  Damage: 
	     Unarmed - Attack: 15 vs. Will,  Damage: 
	Mind of Endurance  [Minor Action]
	     Unarmed - Attack: 8 vs. Unknown,  Damage: 

Skills
	Acrobatics:     9 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Acrobatics Misc)+1(Dex mod)
	Arcana:        12 +8(1/2 Level)+5(Trained)+0(Arcana Misc)-1(Int mod)
	Athletics:     13 +8(1/2 Level)+5(Trained)+0(Athletics Misc)+0(Str mod)
	Bluff:          8 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Bluff Misc)+0(Cha mod)
	Diplomacy:      8 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Diplomacy Misc)+0(Cha mod)
	Dungeoneering: 14 +8(1/2 Level)+2(Dungeoneering Misc)+4(Wis mod)
	Endurance:     26 +8(1/2 Level)+5(Trained)+6(Endurance Misc)+7(Con mod)
	Heal:          12 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Heal Misc)+4(Wis mod)
	History:        7 +8(1/2 Level)+0(History Misc)-1(Int mod)
	Insight:       12 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Insight Misc)+4(Wis mod)
	Intimidate:     8 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Intimidate Misc)+0(Cha mod)
	Nature:        12 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Nature Misc)+4(Wis mod)
	Perception:    12 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Perception Misc)+4(Wis mod)
	Religion:       7 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Religion Misc)-1(Int mod)
	Stealth:        9 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Stealth Misc)+1(Dex mod)
	Streetwise:     8 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Streetwise Misc)+0(Cha mod)
	Thievery:       9 +8(1/2 Level)+0(Thievery Misc)+1(Dex mod)

Proficiencies
	Weapons
		Military Melee [Battlemind]
		Simple Melee [Battlemind]
		Simple Ranged [Battlemind]

Armor
		Cloth [Battlemind]
		Leather [Battlemind]
		Hide [Battlemind]
		Chainmail [Battlemind]
		Scale [Battlemind]
		Heavy Shield [Battlemind]
		Light Shield [Battlemind]

Inventory
	Weapons
	Greataxe, Weapon of Great Opportunity +3
	Crossbow, Point Blank Weapon +2

Armor
	Wyrmscale Armor, Dwarven Armor +4

Magic Items
	Bracers of Rejuvenation (heroic tier)
	Boots of Eagerness (heroic tier)
	Belt of Blood (heroic tier)
	Amulet of Protection +4
	Potion of Regeneration (paragon tier)
	Eager Hero's Tattoo (heroic tier)

Coin
	Carried: 
	Stored: 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Your feats need work, let's see. Also, why no shield? To be honest superior fortitude could probably be dropped too, as a iron guardian you will hardly ever take damage... superior will keep though because gently caress stun/dazed. Could also pick up the +4 to saving throws against stun/dazed, a solid feat.

Pick up.

Superior Will - +2/+3/+4 to will defense by tier, saving throw at start of your turn against stun/dazed.

Axe Expertise - Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with an axe. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
Also, when rolling damage for a weapon attack you make with an axe, you can reroll one damage die that results in a 1, but you must use the second result.

Melee Training (constitution) - let you use CON instead of STR for MBAs and OAs. Without this your OAs are worthless.

Psionic Reflexes - +1 attack bonus to OAs, +2 by spending a powerpoint

Superior Fortitude - +2/+3/+4 to fort, resist 3/6/9 ongoing

Weapon Focus (Axe) - +1/2/3 to damage always good

Drop:
Paragon Defenses - redundant
Versatile Expertise - get the equivalent weapon feat
Durable - you're a dwarf, don't need this. Also, Iron Guardian if you even have to spend a healing surge an encounter i'd be shocked.
Unfailing Vigor - if you need this poo poo is already too far south to save you, far too situational. Also you're an iron guardian you will never die.
Quick Draw - Not needed unless you are swapping around weapons
Spring Step - too situational, especially as a dwarf you get a saving throw before being knocked prone

e: If you wanted debuff effects you're probably going to have to rely on the shield feats and stuff that pushes and knock prone on OAs. Does that sound like something you want to do?

adaz fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 10, 2011

• Locked thread