Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

TLG James posted:

How come not all my apps transfered to the new phone? Mainly angry birds...

What did you do to transfer? The way the market seems to work is that any purchased apps will re-sync with your device, but free apps (like Angry Birds + ads) don't get permanently attached to your account, so you have to manually redownload them.

Are you missing only your free apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Myrddin Emrys posted:

What did you do to transfer? The way the market seems to work is that any purchased apps will re-sync with your device, but free apps (like Angry Birds + ads) don't get permanently attached to your account, so you have to manually redownload them.

Are you missing only your free apps?

Looks like it. All my apps were free though, I haven't bought one app ever.

Stuff like fandango, USAA banking apps, and all those redownloaded just fine.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Loucks posted:

edit: Reviewed a few pages back and it looks like it's OK to just order the phone and call to upgrade the account when it arrives.

It's not terribly convenient, but dealing with SERO in stores is a huge hassle if not impossible. You're better off with Employee Care and telesales.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

TLG James posted:

Looks like it. All my apps were free though, I haven't bought one app ever.

Stuff like fandango, USAA banking apps, and all those redownloaded just fine.

I'm wondering if it's something that app developers have to manually trigger (the "register the app with Google" thing). Do the apps even show in your "My Apps" list? My free apps don't unless they're already installed.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
That's is why I always use Appbrain to install stuff since it keeps its own list.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Sorry if this has been answered in this thread, I have done my best to look through a lot of the pages and read the first post, but its a long thread

I am on a family plan and no one has smart phones but I am eligible for an upgrade and want to get the EVO 3D. From what I have found there is no way to get any sort of discounted plan

I dont have employment at anyplace that has a discount and since I already have sprint I can't get EPRP

So my only options seem to be

Stay with Current Plan and no smart phone-

My current family plan is $69.99 base for 2 phones plus $9.99 for the additional 2 phones and $5*2 for messaging on 2 phones for a total of $100 for 4 people.

Upgrade to a smart phone and stay on family plan-
If I switch to a smart phone our base would go up to 129.99 + 19.99*2 for each additional line + 10*4 for data for each phone (even though I would be the only one who has the smart phone), for a total of $199.96, so if I am the only one who wants a smart phone and stay on a family plan it would increase $100 a month!

Upgrade and get individual plan-
minimum of the $69.99 plan + $10 a month for the phone.

As a current sprint user (cant get EPRP) I dont really have any other options correct?

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Myrddin Emrys posted:

How will that affect contacts that are stored on his phone?

The first week or so there's going to be some wildly inaccurate battery reporting and also some breaking in of the battery. As an example, yesterday I went from 100% charge to 40% in about 3 hours (starting at 8AM) with virtually no usage. Then I plugged it in for 15 minutes, it went up to 80%, and lasted me until 10 at night. Battery poo poo will be weird for a while. Give it a little time.

Unless the evo 3d is different from any other android phone I have used, it syncs them with gmail automatically so the issue should be in his google account as well..

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

MrDingleDangle posted:

Sorry if this has been answered in this thread, I have done my best to look through a lot of the pages and read the first post, but its a long thread

I am on a family plan and no one has smart phones but I am eligible for an upgrade and want to get the EVO 3D. From what I have found there is no way to get any sort of discounted plan

I dont have employment at anyplace that has a discount and since I already have sprint I can't get EPRP

So my only options seem to be

Stay with Current Plan and no smart phone-

My current family plan is $69.99 base for 2 phones plus $9.99 for the additional 2 phones and $5*2 for messaging on 2 phones for a total of $100 for 4 people.

Upgrade to a smart phone and stay on family plan-
If I switch to a smart phone our base would go up to 129.99 + 19.99*2 for each additional line + 10*4 for data for each phone (even though I would be the only one who has the smart phone), for a total of $199.96, so if I am the only one who wants a smart phone and stay on a family plan it would increase $100 a month!

Upgrade and get individual plan-
minimum of the $69.99 plan + $10 a month for the phone.

As a current sprint user (cant get EPRP) I dont really have any other options correct?
For one thing, the premium data charge would be $10 for one smartphone, not 10*4. As for your base and line charges doubling, it sounds quite wrong, but I'm not a sprint guy, so someone else can confirm/deny.

If you did break out on an individual plan, you could get eprp, but I doubt it's your cheapest option.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

fagalicious posted:

Unless the evo 3d is different from any other android phone I have used, it syncs them with gmail automatically so the issue should be in his google account as well..

I must have beaten it to the punch, because they never synced to google. I was able to delete all contacts on the phone no problem, leaving only those that were pulled from google/facebook.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

fagalicious posted:

Any Android phone can have several kinds of contacts - one of which is Google, which is the sync you're talking about, and another is a phone contact, which is only local storage. As in, it stays on the phone itself, like a dumbphone contact. You can have both of these on your phone at the same time.

If that's what he's talking about when he says local contacts or whatever, then changing things in Gmail Contacts on the web won't affect local contacts at all.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Periodically I see people asking which phone they'll get if they file a TEP claim.

Here's how to find out exactly what you'll get if you file a claim today:

Click here
Enter your info into the form
Enter your Sprint security PIN (or an account security question)
Enter details of what happened to the phone
Confirm that your phone on file is the phone you broke/lost
At this point, they tell you what phone you will be getting. You will not be charged or contacted if you don't continue. Close your browser/tab if you don't want to continue with the claim, and that's it!

Today, in my case, they have a Pixi to replace my Pixi. But this Pixi was a replacement for a Touch Diamond, which I lost some months back.

This process will NOT tell you if you need to change your plan to activate the replacement phone; I was on SERO when I lost my (horrible winmo) phone and was forced to change my plan to EPRP mid-activation.

EDIT: to my knowledge, filing a claim does not extend your contract or make you ineligible for your two year upgrade.

nocal fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 26, 2011

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.

WoG posted:

For one thing, the premium data charge would be $10 for one smartphone, not 10*4. As for your base and line charges doubling, it sounds quite wrong, but I'm not a sprint guy, so someone else can confirm/deny.

If you did break out on an individual plan, you could get eprp, but I doubt it's your cheapest option.

thanks. Any clue how i could get the EPRP everywhere i see its says only for new customers or adding a new line

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
So the service in my house is awful, but here's the thing if I turn off the roam guard of the phone it is fine and gets pretty decent service. Is there actually any roaming data/voice in MA and would I get charged extra for using the roaming data/voice? Or does the phone think that(HTC EVO3D) and is just over reacting to a different frequency or something?

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
Watch this poo poo on your Evo 3D :hellyeah:

EDIT: This one too if you haven't seen it yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jaku78 posted:

So the service in my house is awful, but here's the thing if I turn off the roam guard of the phone it is fine and gets pretty decent service. Is there actually any roaming data/voice in MA and would I get charged extra for using the roaming data/voice? Or does the phone think that(HTC EVO3D) and is just over reacting to a different frequency or something?

Roaming stuff:
Uses minutes
800+ roaming minutes per month tops
300MB data cap
if you use more than 50% of your usage on a consistent basis roaming, Sprint will call and deactivate you (with warning). If you have decent home internet call the number in the Sprint OP (retentions) and get a free signal booster, its in their best interest.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I got my 3deez this afternoon and so far I'm impressed. The questions about build quality are unfounded as far as I'm concerned since it seems much more solid that my EVO 4G. The 3D works well and it hasn't given me any headaches yet. Reception does seem to be a bit worse than my old EVO, but I can live with that.

I tried really hard to fall in love with the new Rosie's eye candy so I could do without LauncherPro, but I just can't. I find myself so frustrated by doing even the simplest of tasks on the homescreen that it's back to LauncherPro for me.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

This kicks my pres rear end so hard its not even funny. Anyone looking to switch...its like night and day.....just need to get used to android

It really is unbelievable. I walked into the near-by corporate store this morning and there weren't a lot of people really. But, apparently Sprint is in All-Hands mode this weekend and yesterday was a mad-house so said the person who helped me out. Anyway, the phone is pretty amazing, large, fast and a pretty great screen. Also, thanks Duckman2008 for the recommendation on this in the Recc thread.

This is my absolute first experience with Android so, I'm taking it pretty slowly myself.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I got my 3deez this afternoon and so far I'm impressed. The questions about build quality are unfounded as far as I'm concerned since it seems much more solid that my EVO 4G. The 3D works well and it hasn't given me any headaches yet. Reception does seem to be a bit worse than my old EVO, but I can live with that.

I tried really hard to fall in love with the new Rosie's eye candy so I could do without LauncherPro, but I just can't. I find myself so frustrated by doing even the simplest of tasks on the homescreen that it's back to LauncherPro for me.

I tried to like Sense for 3 days, but I just switched back to LauncherPro too. So much better, and I still get the awesome lockscreen.

I've found 3G reception to be slightly worse, but wi-fi reception is a lot better than it ever was on my Evo. I get three bars in my living room, where I used to barely hold on to a connection.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

WoG posted:

The issue is for HIM to have a smartphone he needs one of the following, ED 450 900 SE, EDS 1500 3000 OR an Everything Bus, BE msg and data or BA msg and data(hes not deaf i'm assuming so a relay plan isn't relevant either) Being on a 69.99 share means he has to change to at the very least an Everything data share 1500 or go on a single plan for his LoS. Regarding the 10.00 prem data it would be specific to the loS with the smartphone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Just curious, what things are you talking about that you didn't like?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

That first one made my go from mild gimmick to ahh this is kinda cool.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Just curious, what things are you talking about that you didn't like?

The biggest thing is a 4x4 grid on a 960x540 screen. It's so dumb that Rosie still only supports the same layout as an HVGA screen. Plus there's just the customization of the dock with five icons per dock, each with swiping action, and up to three docks, etc etc. Basically all the stuff that LPP has always had over Rosie. I was hoping the eye candy of Sense 3.0 would be enough to make me not miss it, but it doesn't. What annoys me now is that Fancy Widget doesn't look right in this resolution, the flip clock is just too slow. I can only hope the developer updates it soon.

ease posted:

That first one made my go from mild gimmick to ahh this is kinda cool.

The first one was insanely awesome. I really wish there was a filter to search for just 3D videos.

Edit, here's another good one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuxqPuhLBZg

letsgoflyers81 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 26, 2011

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I really wish there was a filter to search for just 3D videos.

Try this.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
I'm trying to get a little bit more battery life out of the EVO3D because it seems to be burning it real quick. Does Sense 3.0 eat your battery life on the EVO3D? Will switching to another launcher stop the resource hogging on it? Or is just the radios(3G+wifi) and the display hogging the battery?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Here's something I shot the other day figuring it would be a good example to be able to show people the 3d effect..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6338047/train.mp4

Click the link on your phone and then play in media player...

It works a bit better once I reframe dead on (used to angling in 2d for depth, ha). It has multiple planes so it works pretty well (you can even see the dirty rear end window in the foreground)..enjoy.

edit: I was expecting to be pretty underwhelmed by the 3d, but its pretty cool actually. I'm not sure why all the hate in all those so so reviews. I really really like this phone!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 26, 2011

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

jaku78 posted:

I'm trying to get a little bit more battery life out of the EVO3D because it seems to be burning it real quick. Does Sense 3.0 eat your battery life on the EVO3D? Will switching to another launcher stop the resource hogging on it? Or is just the radios(3G+wifi) and the display hogging the battery?

What are your settings? Mine lasted 17 hours last night. I know turning off 4g really helps.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Are any of the antiglare screen protectors worth it for outdoor sunlight use?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TLG James posted:

Are any of the antiglare screen protectors worth it for outdoor sunlight use?

I bought the anti-glare invisible shield with my 3D and it seems to help.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rurutia posted:

What are your settings? Mine lasted 17 hours last night. I know turning off 4g really helps.

Mine died really fast yesterday-had 4g off and had an ok 3g signal, it went from 85% to 15% in around 4 hours just sitting in my pocket. I put it in airplane mode and it still died an hour or so later which surprised me. Spare parts crashes for me when I try to load battery history so I don't know what's up yet.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It might be a defective unit then. =/

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

Rurutia posted:

Had the wifi and 3G on radio wise and turned the brightness to the minimum. I just turned off animations because it looked like display drew out a lot of power. I also just turned off the wifi to see if it will last longer. I'll see how it goes.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Jeratain posted:

4. On my Pre, I was encouraged to use Wifi and leave it on since it would automatically place itself into a low power mode when not using the radio actively. Will my battery drain faster if I leave Wifi on and am not actively using it? Same question for GPS. (I do understand that having more radios on will eat the battery faster, but I am curious as to how bad it gets)

GPS is only polling when an app calls it, so you don't want to turn it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMTvaNomlWY this too.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I watched a little of the green hornet 3d to see the 3d and it is loving awesome. Works wonderfully and is trippy as gently caress.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ok this morning I woke up to a popup on my Shift saying something about an OTA update being available. I cancelled out to text and check email. Going back into settings > System Updates I am told that everything is up to date. What update did I just miss? I assume it will randomly pop back up at some point, when it does, do I actually want to install it?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Are there any screen protectors that come with a piece specifically for the camera on the 3D or should I just buy some cheapo one and cut it down to size?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I can't open my Seidio case. I press down on the bottom piece in the center of the back, and its still stuck.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Would it be a safe bet to sell the Nexus S if Sprint gets their hands on the ICS Nexus? I signed up for Sprint EPRP on the exact same day the Nexus S released and I'm not due for an upgrade until May 1, 2012 for $75 and March 1, 2013 for $150.

Would I have to buy the unsubsidized price of the phone at that point and add it to my plan or could I sell the Nexus S and pay $200 (or whatever the price is) again?

If it's not a good idea to do this, I don't mind just using ICS on the Nexus S but if the ICS Nexus is just a better phone all around, I wouldn't want to miss out until May of next year.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would I have to buy the unsubsidized price of the phone at that point and add it to my plan or could I sell the Nexus S and pay $200 (or whatever the price is) again?
I'm not sure exactly what your question is. Unless you have premier (likely not), the only way you're going to get more of a discount than what you already posted is if you do some retentions bitching with valid reason.

That said, if you eBay your Nexus S sometime before the Nexus whatever's release, you could net in the ballpark of $300 which brings the final cost down to $200 to upgrade, but you're still getting it unsubsidized.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Careful taking the back off of your 3Deez, mine started to develop a crease in the camera bezel from lifting the back up from the bottom of the phone. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not sure exactly what your question is. Unless you have premier (likely not), the only way you're going to get more of a discount than what you already posted is if you do some retentions bitching with valid reason.

That said, if you eBay your Nexus S sometime before the Nexus whatever's release, you could net in the ballpark of $300 which brings the final cost down to $200 to upgrade, but you're still getting it unsubsidized.

So I would have to buy it unsubsidized, okay. I'll just wait for my May 1st upgrade then. Would that basically restart my plan for another 2 years and give me $75 off the on-contract price of a new phone?