Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Some Strange Flea posted:

The quality curve was basically still bouncing all over the place but it was generally rising.

Really.

Very.

Slowly.

So, did they manage to hammer out issues like how Lauren Laverne didn't really seem to have a particular place in the team, how David Mitchell wasn't really a great interviewer and mostly just got trod on until he fired back a rant that the audience full of Guardian-readers went wild for, the lack of actual satire in Jimmy Carr's opening thing, and how Charlie Brooker was clearly more comfortable doing scripted bits than being a live presenter?

There was some fairly funny stuff in those first episodes (mainly Brooker and Mitchell's monologues), but it just seemed to have a lot of really fundamental problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Everyone should watch Planet of the Apemen on iplayer, really enjoyable. It's a 50/50 split between a serious documentary about the history of non-homo-sapiens human species and a fun dramatisation of how the relationship between sapiens and erectus might have been, loosely tied into the factual stuff.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

pisshead posted:

Just saw this on a TV listing:

Overmanning much?

evidentally Whiley and Lowe have to go to bed as Laverne and Radcliffe are taking over. And besides, Mark and Lard gave me some of my favourite radio memories of all time - American Sports Reporters, I'm looking at you

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Is there anything similar to Mock the Week/HIGNFY airing currently? (I know Mock is on, but that's the only one I can find.) Current events/comedy panelist/quizy type thing?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Smeep posted:

Is there anything similar to Mock the Week/HIGNFY airing currently? (I know Mock is on, but that's the only one I can find.) Current events/comedy panelist/quizy type thing?

David Walliams' Wall of Fame on Sky is described as a "Newsey Quizzy Gossipy thing" but I'm not going to watch it. It has Jack Dee on it though.

There's always Dave if you don't mind how "current" the events are.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Smeep posted:

8 out of 10 cats is back on.

Fridays at about 9.00 on C4

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

David Walliams' Wall of Fame on Sky is described as a "Newsey Quizzy Gossipy thing" but I'm not going to watch it. It has Jack Dee on it though.

I'm not sure why, but I can't help but find David Walliams rather creepy.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

ChuckDHead posted:

I'm not sure why, but I can't help but find David Walliams rather creepy.

Probably because he's absurdly creepy. He's a nine foot tall physical oddity who looks like he's been dead for three days and has the cold, calculating eyes of a shark and the fakest smile in the universe. Also, he willingly hangs around with Matt Lucas, which is on a par with "lives with corpse of his dead mother" on the Creep-O-Meter.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He does have a certain air of superficiality to his charm. A vague hint of the Gacy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd shake his hand, but I certainly wouldn't want to be in a room alone with him.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

jfjnpxmy posted:

the cold, calculating eyes of a shark and the fakest smile in the universe.

Yes, this is exactly it. I don't think I've ever heard it expressed so precisely.

I'm not saying he's a serial killer, but if a big pile of bodies did turn up under his house, I wouldn't bother investigating the tenant before him.

As for Matt Lucas, I don't think he's creepy, but I do have a strange level of guilt about judging him because the first time I saw him on Sky One's agonizingly self-consciously hip Gamezville, I thought he was someone who had just been through chemo (turns out he actually has alopecia).

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
David Walliams has developed his creepy persona in basically every appearance he's ever done. Big Fat Quiz of the Year, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, he turns it on all the time. He's a comedian. I watched his swimming the channel thing and when he was away from the public he was fine, much quieter.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Hoops posted:

I watched his swimming the channel thing and when he was away from the public he was fine, much quieter.

"Quieter" is not what you want in a serial killer, they're the ones who never get caught.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Hoops posted:

He's a comedian. I watched his swimming the channel thing and when he was away from the public he was fine, much quieter.
Although I didn't see too much of it, my understanding is that he came close to approximating a human being during the 24 Hour Party "Panel Game Show" Show thanks to tiredness.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

jfjnpxmy posted:

Probably because he's absurdly creepy. He's a nine foot tall physical oddity who looks like he's been dead for three days and has the cold, calculating eyes of a shark and the fakest smile in the universe. Also, he willingly hangs around with Matt Lucas, which is on a par with "lives with corpse of his dead mother" on the Creep-O-Meter.

A boys best friend is Matt Lucas.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
So the only things that stops David Walliams killing people are being tired or swimming.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

ScipioAfro posted:

So the only things that stops David Walliams killing people are being tired or swimming.

And dressing up as a woman laydeee.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Just switched over to Challange on a whim and caught an episode of Blockbuster featuring a young Konnie Huq as a contestant.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

That sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Muppetjedi posted:

8 out of 10 cats is back on.

Fridays at about 9.00 on C4

Oh, that's a good one, I'd forgotten about that show.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Have Collings and Herrin had some sort of falling out? I noticed on Twitter there seems to be a tense air between them and they have said that the podcasts are "resting but not dead"

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

6 Music have offered Collins & Josie Long the Saturday morning slot when Adam & Joe's run finishes again. As far as I know Collins has accepted, which does seem to suggest that Herring's running joke that Collins is just trading his way from comedian to comedian to better his own career is actually true.

I just don't understand how he keeps getting work. I've listened to his Radio 6 show, he's awful. I've listened to him on various comedy podcasts, he's not funny. I've read his stuff in Radio Times, he knows dick all about movies. His opinions on pretty much any subject are either ill thought out, reactionary, or just downright dumb. He also has a really smug punchable face.

Him & Josie Long is probably going to be a trainwreck if their performances on individual podcasts are anything to go by.

FreakyZoid fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 26, 2011

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

FreakyZoid posted:

6 Music have offered Collins & Josie Long the Saturday morning slot when Adam & Joe's run finishes again.

I just don't understand how he keeps getting work. I've listened to his Radio 6 show, he's awful. I've listened to him on various comedy podcasts, he's not funny. I've read his stuff in Radio Times, he knows dick all about movies. His opinions on pretty much any subject are either ill thought out, reactionary, or just downright dumb. He also has a really smug punchable face.

Him & Josie Long is probably going to be a trainwreck if their performances on individual podcasts are anything to go by.
When he opens his mouth the producer puts his head in his hands and thinks 'gently caress! I thought he was Mark Steel'.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think Collins and Herring probably consumated their relationship and found that all the tension really was gone. That's where the awkwardness comes from.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

FreakyZoid posted:

6 Music have offered Collins & Josie Long the Saturday morning slot when Adam & Joe's run finishes again. As far as I know Collins has accepted, which does seem to suggest that Herring's running joke that Collins is just trading his way from comedian to comedian to better his own career is actually true.

Collins is radio poison, but I would have quite liked to listen to Josie Long with someone else she is luvvvverly.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Oh also for whatever reason Collins declined to do the daily Edinburgh podcast with Herring, so he's doing that on his own.

I've mainly only heard Long on Utter Shambles, but her entire contributions were "tee hee I am ditzy and don't understand" and "rawr feminism, people shouldn't assume I'm ditzy because I'm a woman". I think maybe in ten years she might have the perspective to be a really good comedian though.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Hoops posted:

David Walliams has developed his creepy persona in basically every appearance he's ever done.

Right, so not only is he an effigy of all that is unwholesome crafted out of wax and smarm, he worked to be like that. David Walliams should be pre-emptively executed before he manages to use his blood to open a portal to Ambiguous Hell.

Plus, he's not been funny since Mash & Peas.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Claudia Winkleman has a new show(in which she is heeeeavily pregnant) called King Of...

"Claudia Winkleman hosts feisty new Channel 4 comedy talk show series King Of..., taking a witty, informative and passionate look at our favourite things. From musicals to newsreaders, supermodels to household pets and artists to takeaways, Claudia shines a light on the passions and peculiarities of her celebrity guests."

It's a bit odd, but I absolutely adore Claudia Winkleman so I'm quite enjoying it. Check it out if you're into panel shows/Claudia.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Oh and in case you havent figured out by the thread title here, do not watch The Killing when it airs on C4. In fact, tell everyone you know not to watch it either. It's a flopping abortion of a show.

Here's the gist of what you're in for if you watch it, in one sentence:

Endless red herrings, nonsensical coincidental police inspection with a cliffhanger ending that doesn't actually reveal who the killer is.

It's not really a spoiler, per say, in that it doesnt tell you what character does what, but just lets you know what kind of show it is as well as the type of ending it has.

It's basically the opposite of The Shadowline and Luther and the producer is delusionally comparing it to things like the sopranos while critics and viewers unanimously rip the piss out of it for being utterly poo poo.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
When it airs on C4? It was on BBC4 a couple of months ago. I only saw a few but it didn't seem completely terrible.

edit: Nevermind, looks like a different show with the same name and premise.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

MisterLizard posted:

When it airs on C4? It was on BBC4 a couple of months ago. I only saw a few but it didn't seem completely terrible.

Yeah, I heard it getting praise out the wazoo. I am so confused

E> oh, i guess there's an american version? And c4 are showing that after the bbc showed the original. That's super weird.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Yeah, seriously don't watch The Killing. It's PURE shite.

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe
There's the original Danish version called Forbrydelsen (translation The Killing) which is the one that aired on BBC4 and you should definitely watch.

The American remake, helpfully called The Killing as well, is apparently a bit pants.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I've not seen the original yet, but i'll try and catch it again when it's on, but the american version basically took the show's premise and then shat all over it in the way that US remakes typically do.

It truely is one of the worst TV show's i've ever seen, and i've seen a lot of TV.

The fact that the producer of it is currently running around all :smug: touting that she's created some kind of masterpiece and that all the things the advertising alluded to were never things they'd actually confirmed in interviews is just the icing on the cake.

Seriously, don't watch it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Bummer. For some reason I thought it may be good, as it was always stickied in the forum. I imagined it to be a cross between Justified and Twin Peaks.

There hasn't seemed to be much good telly on this weekend, which is a shame as I decided to stay inside today as it was too loving hot. Is the lineup for Glastonbury this year poo poo or are they just showing terrible bands?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Glasto coverage is always poo poo. They spend too much time talking about the "festival experience" and not enough time playing the loving music.

But I wouldn't call it a vintage line-up, no. The guests on the park stage have probably been more anticipated than the headliners.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The coverage has not been brilliant but there are restrictions that are out of the BBCs control - they were saying that the performers sometimes refuse to have their set broadcast, or allow only certain songs.

And then the BBC, because of budget and manpower can't be everywhere and cutbacks have made it worse.

I've noticed a distinct lack of anything from the dance tents, if I didn't know better its as if they aren't even there this year.

And the sound mixing has been crappy too, but I don't think that's the BBCs fault - a lot of mics have been too quiet or they've not been reacting fast enough when someone picks up a different instrument.

That said, i've enjoyed it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

justcola posted:

Bummer. For some reason I thought it may be good, as it was always stickied in the forum. I imagined it to be a cross between Justified and Twin Peaks.

It's more like a cross between the worst parts of 24 and some generic cop show that's so bland i can't remember the name of it. The only similarities it has to Twin Peaks are that a girl is murdered in the first episode and a detective is trying to find out who did it.

It was stickied in the forum because the show was terrible but viewers just wanted to know who the killer was because they'd invested X amount of time in it. Then the last episode aired and... well... there's a reason the thread title tells you not to watch it. Read this if you want to know why: They don't tell you who the killer is.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

DaWolfey posted:

I've noticed a distinct lack of anything from the dance tents, if I didn't know better its as if they aren't even there this year.

The radio usually covers the dance tents (i think they do an essential mix every year from there), plus they usually aren't a great spectacle to watch for the most part (they sometimes are great) but a dj with a laptop doesn't really come across great for most people on tv.

(I say that but this year they had bands and stuff in the west dance tent, weird.)

All in all imagine if ITV did it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

LE0N posted:

you mean they'd constantly cut to ad breaks during the chorus of every song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

LE0N posted:

They'd have a Nescafe coffee machine right at the front of stage, and a quiz to win £500 with the answers "A: Ayonce, B: Beyonce, or C: Ceyonce".