Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Doc Hawkins posted:

Gamepads are nice because I can use them while I lean back in my chair, lie on the couch, etc.

I have an Xbox 360 controller I use pretty regularly while playing on the PC, but I still think a mouse and keyboard are more comfortable for me to lean back in. It probably has to do with all of our individual setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
For psuchat; there's a pretty good summary of PSUs and their manufacturers here:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

4 Day Weekend posted:

For psuchat; there's a pretty good summary of PSUs and their manufacturers here:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers

Nice link. I usually swear by Corsair power supplies anymore. They're almost always in the same price ranges as other units and are whisper quiet as well as extremely efficient. They look nice, too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lynch_69 posted:

I just realized right now that there are entire generations of kids who haven't grown up playing a NES or even a SNES like me and I suddenly feel old and sad :(

How about when you realize there are probably loads of people right here who were kids before the NES and SNES?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Speaking of PSUs, my Seasonic X650 poo poo the bed. I had to put my old Seasonic M12-700 back in. Seasoniiiicccc :argh:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Brace posted:

Can someone tell me more about AC:Brotherhood and Anno 1404? They're both on sale at GetGames for cheap, and they both interest me but I know not enough about them to make a purchase. Any goons know about them enough to recommend/dissuade me from the purchase?

Also what's the cheapest/best wired gamepad I can get for my PC?

AC2 and Brotherhood are both great. Play 2 before Brotherhood if you haven't already, Brotherhood is more of 2 with some more nice features on. 2 also introduces the story well if you didn't play 1, whereas Brotherhood slings you right in there.

You need a dual analog gamepad, too, really.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Splinter Cell Conviction is so good. Been playing Co-op with a friend lately. Worth the £7.49 from GetGames.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I just bought a Razer DeathAdder. Have I made a terrible mistake?

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Jerry Cotton posted:

How about when you realize there are probably loads of people right here who were kids before the NES and SNES?

I actually feel bad for them. Imagine growing up in an era when the pinnacle of gaming was Pong and all those dreadful Atari 2600 bleep-blop "classics" before the entire industry hosed itself with shovelware.

Growing up in the 8-16 bit era is where it's at :smug:

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

When lefties left click, do they actually right click?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Fiction posted:

I've had one of these for several months now and really like it. I wanted a good quality but normal mouse without buttons all over it. The buttons on the side do feel a little cheap, but seem sturdy enough. The mouse is really light but I like that. I switched from a Logitech G5 that was wearing out, and didn't realize how bulky that one was.

My only real complaint about the Deathadder that I've never seen mentioned is the little logo on the body that lights up and fades out, it's really dumb and when I leave my computer on all night it's bright as poo poo and I have to throw a shirt over it or something.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

Rekkit posted:

When lefties left click, do they actually right click?

It's the same as right handed people? As a lefty myself I do not know a single actual lefty that uses the mouse with their left hand and I assume that those who do have simply never tried it before or for a long enough time. Upon first using the computer I tried the mouse on the left hand and it felt natural but as a new gamer who was pretty much terrified to change any settings in case it broke the game I simply adapted to what my friends all used. Mouse goes on the right, WASD for the left hand and in the end I became just as good as my friends. Give the right handed mouse a try for 30 days and you will never go back.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fiction posted:

Yes, especially since the Logitech g400 is out now. Sorry for your mistake.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

My only real complaint about the Deathadder that I've never seen mentioned is the little logo on the body that lights up and fades out, it's really dumb and when I leave my computer on all night it's bright as poo poo and I have to throw a shirt over it or something.

You can turn off the lights with its software.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OCZ RAM got bought by everyone because it was the cheapest option but it turns out it's complete poo poo that will fail(WTF, RAM hardly ever fails...) or not be compatible with your poo poo. I don't get it at all.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I've had a Deathadder for a couple of years now and have had no complaints. Only thing that's starting to wear out is the mouse-wheel click.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

kri kri posted:

That and the general consensus is Razer products have a 50% failure rate. You could be one of the lucky ones, but I seriously don't know why you just didn't get the g400.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
I'm actually considering replacing my current setup, preferably with something similar because I like it, it's just getting worn out.

I've currently got an Ideazon Merc Keyboard and a Logitech G5 mouse (though I don't run Setpoint because it's a buggy piece of shite) - does anyone have any recommendations for similar/newer versions of these?

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

AC2 and Brotherhood are both great. Play 2 before Brotherhood if you haven't already, Brotherhood is more of 2 with some more nice features on. 2 also introduces the story well if you didn't play 1, whereas Brotherhood slings you right in there.

You need a dual analog gamepad, too, really.

I played it with both a controller and mouse+ keyboard, and I much preferred the keyboard.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
My MX518 is still going strong after 5 years of (ab)use but that G400 is looking awfully tempting.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Space Cadet posted:

It's the same as right handed people? As a lefty myself I do not know a single actual lefty that uses the mouse with their left hand and I assume that those who do have simply never tried it before or for a long enough time. Upon first using the computer I tried the mouse on the left hand and it felt natural but as a new gamer who was pretty much terrified to change any settings in case it broke the game I simply adapted to what my friends all used. Mouse goes on the right, WASD for the left hand and in the end I became just as good as my friends. Give the right handed mouse a try for 30 days and you will never go back.

I'm a lefty and use my mouse in my left hand. I've been doing that ever since the days of the Amiga. I'm not planning to change any time soon.

Ironically though, I use a joystick with my right hand, because originally there were no left handed multi-button flight sticks.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I've been extremely happy with the two Razer mice that I've purchased (Deathadder and Orochi), but less so with the Razer keyboard (Blackwidow). Mostly because the latter's key limits are designed for FPS games - which means no key overloads in FPS games (can hold down all the keys I want), but fighting games are impossible to play (Did you want a throw? No, you can't use those two keys at once - so sorry!).

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

kri kri posted:

Only if you like the terrible, fat brick design that logitech has used for years. I used an MX518 for ages until I tried the Razer Deathadder and I was like: Holy poo poo, this thing actually has good design for someone that uses a claw grip and doesnt have gargantuan hands. Logitech mice give me really bad carpal tunnel because resting my wrist and bottom of hand on the mousemat and griping them with my fingers is roughly impossible. I have to force my hand to be more vertical than it needs to. Logitech mice is made for people who use a wierd hovering palm grip it seems.

The deathadder's design is very close to the old microsoft intellimouse explorer mice which were so baller back then. A good mix between manoeuverability and comfort. gently caress Logitech.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 26, 2011

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Clank posted:

I played [rear end Creed] with both a controller and mouse+ keyboard, and I much preferred the keyboard.

I'm quite surprised by that. Maybe it's because I played 2 on Xbox (borrowed from my Dad) and got Brotherhood for PC. I made a token attempt to play with keyboard+mouse but I couldn't get into it, maybe I'd have made more of an attempt if the 360 pad didn't work perfectly without me even touching the settings.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Is there any good programs for tracking how much time I spend in games? Steam has this feature and I find it a very interesting metric to see how much time I spend in a particular game.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Master_Odin posted:

Is there any good programs for tracking how much time I spend in games? Steam has this feature and I find it a very interesting metric to see how much time I spend in a particular game.

Xfire used to have it, but I haven't touched it in ~6 years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lynch_69 posted:

I actually feel bad for them. Imagine growing up in an era when the pinnacle of gaming was Pong and all those dreadful Atari 2600 bleep-blop "classics" before the entire industry hosed itself with shovelware.

Growing up in the 8-16 bit era is where it's at :smug:

I guess I'm actually of the typical NES-SNES age but I went straight from Atari 2600 to Commodore 64 and from Commodore 64 to IBM PC. We had a VGA card+VDU before any (or in hindsight, I guess most) games supported VGA. I never really made the connection between 2600 and 64 games as a kid as it was pretty much like comparing a pink ice cube to a strawberry-flavoured popsicle. Or something.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

americanzero4128 posted:

Xfire used to have it, but I haven't touched it in ~6 years.

Xfire still does, but since they changed ownership a while back, their support for games has been getting worse and worse.

Raptr's is OK, but they're US based, so if a game comes out earlier in Europe than the US then you don't get tracking til the US release.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Space Cadet posted:

I would never go to right-handed mousing as a lefty. Seriously, I can hit LeftALT, LeftCTRL, LeftSHIFT, and Space all with my right thumb. You don't even have to switch from WASD as the main movement buttons.

They do have a left-handed mouse setting, where the left-click and right-click are their opposites, but I prefer having my index finger free to use the mouse wheel and sensitivity buttons.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Master_Odin posted:

Just use Steam and add all your non-Steam games as shortcuts in Steam. It will still track the time.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Since people are talking about mice again, I'd like to ask again, is the R.A.T. 7 worth it? It's another $25 above the G400, but it has about six times the DPI, more buttons, and all that shape adjusting. I'm also concerned about how reliable it is, something that complex should be far more prone to problems, right?

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

crestfallen posted:

Just use Steam and add all your non-Steam games as shortcuts in Steam. It will still track the time.

No it won't.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BIFF! posted:

No it won't.

Even when it tracks the time it doesn't even work or report it correctly. At least in my experience. Better to just not care and/or make a spreadsheet.

Positronic Spleen posted:

Since people are talking about mice again, I'd like to ask again, is the R.A.T. 7 worth it? It's another $25 above the G400, but it has about six times the DPI, more buttons, and all that shape adjusting. I'm also concerned about how reliable it is, something that complex should be far more prone to problems, right?

No jesus. Higher DPI means gently caress all, you don't need more buttons and why in the world would you get something from Madcatz when you can order from Logitech and then do a RMA in four years when it breaks?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

BIFF! posted:

No it won't.

It will track your total time played, but it won't have individual entries for non-Steam games. So if you play 10 hours of TF2 and 10 hours of whatever game you add, Steam will show 20 hours logged but only 10 hours of individal game time.

And the cumulative time is only tracked for the last two weeks, unlike individual game times, so you won't have a permanent or detailed record of your time.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

BIFF! posted:

No it won't.
Did it used to? I had my old copy of Vampire Bloodlines (non-steam) added to Steam.

Then I bought the steam version so I didn't have to mess with discs and stuff. I am positive I have not played the Steam version. Steam agrees, there is no date for last played.

But Steam reports 21.9 hours played :confused:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

kri kri posted:

No jesus. Higher DPI means gently caress all, you don't need more buttons and why in the world would you get something from Madcatz when you can order from Logitech and then do a RMA in four years when it breaks?

If ya like how the mouse feels, it's worth it. I know someone who loves his Rat7 and doesn't touch his MX518 anymore, and I agree after giving the Rat some time in Quake 3. The bitch about it is actually finding somewhere to try it out, unless you're down for just buying one with the possibility of sending it back. Being able to replace it for free in 4 years means gently caress all if you don't really like how it feels. My take on mice is try a bunch out, and go with what feels really comfy followed by any perks you really want.

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet

lynch_69 posted:

I just realized right now that there are entire generations of kids who haven't grown up playing a NES or even a SNES like me and I suddenly feel old and sad :(

Tangentially related to this--

Last week I was at a barbecue at my aunt's place, and her eight year old son and his friend were playing some kid friendly online multiplayer game on a laptop (the figures in the game looked like legos and their was shooting and helicopters). Anyway, they were actually using the term "noob" and "nub" derisively. I mean I myself only first came across those terms when I started playing SC2 last year and am too self-conscious to use them. Yet for those kids it's part of their everyday, non-ironical gaming language.

I was in the born in the mid 80s and witnessed the internet slowly become more and more prevalent and witnessing this transition will always color my views in some ways and yet there are so many youngsters for whom internet gaming/internetz were always just there. I actually tried to tell my cousin that, back in the old days, the internet came through the phone line and you got disconnected if someone called. I felt like such a geezer...

jgamer
Oct 21, 2010

Master_Odin posted:

There are many free software tools that can track how long you keep particular applications open or how long you spend on particular websites, check out http://www.manictime.com/ and https://www.rescuetime.com/ to start you off.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Master_Odin posted:

There's Raptr and Xfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

404notfound posted:

It will track your total time played, but it won't have individual entries for non-Steam games. So if you play 10 hours of TF2 and 10 hours of whatever game you add, Steam will show 20 hours logged but only 10 hours of individal game time.

And the cumulative time is only tracked for the last two weeks, unlike individual game times, so you won't have a permanent or detailed record of your time.

This is wrong as well. I just checked my profile and added up the times of all the Steam games I've played in the last 2 weeks. It does not include any non-Steam games into the total time.

• Locked thread