Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Maybe this was already covered but what's with interplay-published infinity engine games not being for sale? Is it because Baldur's Gate etc are DnD games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Maybe this was already covered but what's with interplay-published infinity engine games not being for sale? Is it because Baldur's Gate etc are DnD games?

Those are under Atari now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know if this was brought up but Bohemia got back the Operation Flashpoint title and are releasing it as ARMA: Cold War Assault to as of now unnamed distributors.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

I don't know if this was brought up but Bohemia got back the Operation Flashpoint title and are releasing it as ARMA: Cold War Assault to as of now unnamed distributors.

When this did happen? Codemasters released recently another Operation Flashpoint trash game. Do you have a link or something?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

When this did happen? Codemasters released recently another Operation Flashpoint trash game. Do you have a link or something?
It was announced just last week to celebrate Flashpoint's 10th birthday, along with Arma 2 Free. If you already have a legal Operation Flashpoint CD Key, you can download it NOW from Bohemia's website!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
So from reading this thread and the gog one the mods/patches I should get for a first time playthrough are: Killap's Unofficial Fallout 2 Patch, High Resolution Patch, Sfall 2.13, and the Children Restoration patch. Any of these conflict with each other?

VVVV Thanks!

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 26, 2011

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Killap's patch already includes children restoration.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Guillermus posted:

They don't have the name Operation Flashpoint but they have the game. Anything Operation Flashpoint titled will still be awful.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

It was announced just last week to celebrate Flashpoint's 10th birthday, along with Arma 2 Free. If you already have a legal Operation Flashpoint CD Key, you can download it NOW from Bohemia's website!

Oh awesome thanks! I do have my old Op Flashpoints CDs and im going to download that thing right now :cheers:

Sankis posted:

They don't have the name Operation Flashpoint but they have the game. Anything Operation Flashpoint titled will still be awful.

Also thank you aswell, I have ARMA II, tho i didnt play it much when it came out because SP bored me and didnt know ppl to play with. And taking the advice that Codemasters will keep making GBS threads the old name :(

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
The recent Op Flash games are far from awful, but I guess it's kind of damning with faint praise since they are average in comparison to the original/addons. Functional shooters with a good engine, but roped-in and scripted to the letter with dodgy AI (but that's not something the series is particularly known for).

I'm not really sure what the point is with BI releasing it digitally, if you have a key (and presumably, you have located your case since it's printed on the manual) you already have the exact same thing on disc. This is kind of just dick-waving in Codies direction because they had a big hissyfit between them a few years ago.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 26, 2011

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Harmonica posted:

The recent Op Flash games are far from awful, but I guess it's kind of damning with faint praise since they are average in comparison to the original/addons.

I'm not really sure what the point is with BI releasing it digitally, if you have a key (and presumedly, you have located your case since it's printed on the manual) you already have the exact same thing on disc.
This re-release doubles as a stand-alone patch, with some bugfixes and changes (since Bohemia weren't legally allowed to just release a patch for the OFP). Also, if you don't have Resistance, it includes that for free.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Harmonica posted:

I'm not really sure what the point is with BI releasing it digitally, if you have a key (and presumedly, you have located your case since it's printed on the manual) you already have the exact same thing on disc.
If I understand correctly, you get both the expansion packs regardless of whether you actually own those or not - just as long as you have a copy of the original game. Besides that, how many people haven't rebought older games through Steam or GOG or some other digital distribution service, not because they lost the original disks/CDs, but simply because they wanted to have digital copies readily available?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just found my old discs, i have a Bestsellers from Codemasters (wich is funny). Its Cold War Crisis+Red Hammer+Resistance, so i hope it recognizes my cd key.

Im installing it now and getting the patch, will try and see if this work.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
That's a good deal if they're throwing in the addons, worth seeking out a copy of the original just for the key since they're that good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Codemasters have pretty much run the Operation Flashpoint name into the ground. It only makes sense that Bohemia would re-release the original game under their Arma brand. Just remind people that they're the guys that make military training-spec sims, while Codemasters give you.. Delta Force: Disturbingly Jingoistic Edition.

And whaddya know - at the bottom of a box here, I've got a copy of OFP. I assume the key still works...

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just downloaded Cold War Assault and popped my old CD-Key in. Works great! Gonna add this to the OP.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
going to see if my ofp key works~

yay it works. Clean sweep is great.

Also, wasn't resistance supposed to be included?

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 26, 2011

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

Just downloaded Cold War Assault and popped my old CD-Key in. Works great! Gonna add this to the OP.

Same, i've been playing for a few hours and works nicely :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Red River and Dragon Rising are more like Rainbow Six Vegas without the polish and long drives between objectives. During the second level I was worried when a dude in an attack chopper appeared. I took a single shot at the copter's belly and the pilot bails 500 feet in the air.

Exist to desktop, uninstall.

seriously!
Jun 27, 2010

by angerbeet
Why oh why didn't I read this thread before picking up Freespace 1 AND 2? :(

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

seriously! posted:

:(:respek::(

That poo poo's gonna stare out accusingly from the virtual shelf for the rest of our gaming lives, man.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

seriously! posted:

Yeah, oh well, I got both too, figure $6 is worth it for the full game of 2 with all the fan poo poo modded into it.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
You mean $6 is worth it for the greatest game ever created, right?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So I have Fallout, Messiah, and Sacrifice sitting in my cart, but, being indecisive, need someone to convince me how empty and shallow my life is without these games.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I haven't played Messiah, but you have two of the best games ever sitting in your cart right now and you don't already own them? What kind of LOSER BABY are you!?

I am not above shaming you into clicking "complete order."

EDIT- Oh hey, speaking of games sitting in carts...

Is Lionheart worth $3 for the good half?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

So I have Fallout, Messiah, and Sacrifice sitting in my cart, but, being indecisive, need someone to convince me how empty and shallow my life is without these games.

Your life is shallow and empty without these games. :v:

Anyways, I think I regret buying all three UFO games when they went on sale, it's pretty depressing seeing a series getting progressively lamer and dumber with each iteration. :smith:

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Messiah is really weird but fun as heck!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Sacrifice is the weirdest action/RTS ever made. You run around the landscape with giant brains flapping behind you, call forth some of the stranger monsters this side of lovecraft and duel with other wizards by casting spells.

You don't cast things like magic armor or strength though. You start by casting things like lightning bolts and then move on to tearing demonic rifts in the landscape, creating full-scale volcanoes, summoning twisters or even a 200-foot tall death incarnate to wipe the landscape of anything with a pulse. You can also drop cows from the stratosphere.

It's light strategy, action and god-game all rolled into one. Once you make it to the end missions you can basically wave your hands and obliterate a hillside. And you'll need to.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

It's light strategy, action and god-game all rolled into one. Once you make it to the end missions you can basically wave your hands and obliterate a hillside. And you'll need to.

Holy poo poo. What a great description.

I always tried to get into that game, but the controls always felt weird and unintuitive and a little clunky. I just remember that simple things turned out to be hard to do because of things like how the controls were laid out. Is there any way to change that?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

You can also drop cows from the stratosphere.

The god who gives you the cow spell is (a reference to) Earthworm Jim*.

But Sacrifice is undoubtedly a great game with amazing personality. The last mission is a bit of a kick in the balls, but other than that, it's just a phenomenal game through and through.

*Note that they share no personality traits in common.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You forget that one of the gods is a living helium balloon voiced by Tim Curry. That's a selling point in itself!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Holy poo poo. What a great description.

I always tried to get into that game, but the controls always felt weird and unintuitive and a little clunky. I just remember that simple things turned out to be hard to do because of things like how the controls were laid out. Is there any way to change that?

The controls are a little weird. Sacrifice takes a little bit to get used to but it's actually a really light game. You can put your creatures into groups and order them around but the interface isn't great for it. You're better off giving up on that aspect of the game and just having everyone guard your wizard. When the melees break out your role is to stay alive, direct fire on the enemy wizard and use your spells to sway the fight to your side. The RTS aspect of sacrifice is hard to control and I think it's more fun to focus on force composition and let your action skills make up for the lack of micromanagement.

Others might play it differently though.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sacrifice is my favorite game of all time. I used to be pretty decent at online play back when there was a multiplayer community. The singleplayer missions are fun enough, but it was really designed to be a multiplayer game. It's a shame no one's on the servers anymore.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
poo poo. Just purchased Sacrifice, Evolva, Messiah, Fallout 2, and Lionheart. Excited to play them (in five years)!

What's worse is that I'll probably buy one or two more games from this sale before it ends :( Maybe Freespace 2?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Can I get some Sacrifice help? I'm doing some missions for Persephone and I know I've got the whole RTS thing alright but I'm going against Seerix right now and she is seriously wrecking my poo poo, I'll beat her army back only for her to have another one just as big like 2 minutes later, is she not bound by the same rules as I?

I beat her eventually but I feel like I don't have a full grasp of the battles yet. I'll skirmish my melee's, line my archers and phalanx my whore's but I just don't have enough damage dealers.

Can I just get some pro tips?

Drox posted:

You forget that one of the gods is a living helium balloon voiced by Tim Curry. That's a selling point in itself!

That and pretty much the entire cast from Soul Reaver it seems.

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 27, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder if GoG will ever have the Mechwarrior clone, Starsiege. That was one of my favorite games.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Toadsniff posted:

That and pretty much the entire cast from Soul Reaver it seems.

There are voice actors in Soul Reaver who aren't Tony Jay? :confused:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Drox posted:

There are voice actors in Soul Reaver who aren't Tony Jay? :confused:

Simon Templeman, you rapscallion!!!

I also recall lots of the LoK voice actors in the Dreamcast Berserk game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I wonder if GoG will ever have the Mechwarrior clone, Starsiege. That was one of my favorite games.

The instant GoG gets Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, I'm buying it. I don't even care that I own it on a CD and can run it still on XP, being able to do it without attempting to configure for Win 7 would be great. It's still the best Mechwarrior game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Weird, the original Mechwarrior game, and Earthsiege (which Starsiege is a later sequel to) were both developed by Dynamix.