Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pogoman
Oct 24, 2005

I go Pogo.
My cat missed the litter box by 4 inches. It's obvious that she stood on the rim and and just peed. How could this happen? Is the litter box too small (I'm using a 24 x 30 cement mixer as a litter box) or is she just going blind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

pogoman posted:

My cat missed the litter box by 4 inches. It's obvious that she stood on the rim and and just peed. How could this happen? Is the litter box too small (I'm using a 24 x 30 cement mixer as a litter box) or is she just going blind?
How old is it? Was it clean? Did you change litter brands recently? Did you move the box at all? Is it a new box? Did you read this in the narration voice that comes at the end of a tv show encouraging you to stay tuned in?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So we just got a new kitten, and he's doing fine and is wonderful. He has a bit of a weird habit though. He tries to nurse from people's hands. Like, suckles people's hands for quite some time if you let him, despite obviously getting no milk from it. He'll do the same to your face if you let him.

He's happily eating his food too so he's not starving or anything, but is this normal or is it a weird habit that I should be worried about?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Esmerelda posted:

That sounds about right (mine are 2 1/2 and 3 -- they're still obnoxious little shits half the time.)

To be more helpful, kittens are assholes. They camouflage this glaring flaw with insane amounts of cuteness. Do not fall for their ruse!
This is true. I got lucky with my (current) first cat, and my second cat was a total dickhole for a year or two, and still kinda is, but is much better/nicer/friendlier now.

Raimundus posted:

So my mother has been setting mousetraps in our basement for the cats; I found one and she admitted to it. I have two questions:

1. In general, are mousetraps powerful enough to fracture small bones?

2. Does this qualify as animal cruelty and, if so, about how far down my mother's throat should I jump?

I'm going to scour the basement tomorrow to look for more.
Your mom "doesn't get it", which is a nice way of saying she's fuckin' nuts. Just tell her "if [the crazy poo poo you did] has any chance of crippling or maiming your cat, chances are IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA", so hopefully this will stop her from rigging a car battery to a circuit made out of razor wire.

DJ Sizzle posted:

Far and away the scissor styled ones are better than human clippers or guillotine style. Buy a nice pair online:
http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Professional-Trimmer-Small-Medium/dp/B0002RJM8C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308244415&sr=8-3

Clipping should be super smooth like butter, I barely have to press on these.
I've already :spergin:ed about this earlier(guillotines suck to use, my brain hurts thinking about using human clippers), here's one of my current pairs:

It's very simple and easy to handle, and clips nails just fine (remember, you just need to clip the tips off really). I personally prefer this kind VS the garden clipper style because there's no spring to push against(FYI; it's also possible to get a garden clipper style one that sucks and isn't sharp). Cost me maybe $3, a nicer pair might've been $5, both are probably made in China but it doesn't really matter. How do you know if your pair is sharp enough? If you clip, and it doesn't make a clean cut(like if the nail tip is still hanging by a "thread"), throw that poo poo out and get another pair, the end.

Esmerelda posted:

Does everyone universally love the furminator? I ask because I didn't entirely think through my choice of feline companions and would have to buy 2 of those things -- 1 for long fur and 1 for short. Or could I get away with one for both?
If your long hair really is a long hair, then sure, get another one(I think you just have longer tines on it). I'd look for 3rd party ones though because while Furminators are great, their prices are Monster Cable levels of bullshit. For alternatives, you can get a grooming loop, which is cheap and about as effective(though it's easier for fur to get tossed around).

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

duckfarts posted:

If your long hair really is a long hair, then sure, get another one(I think you just have longer tines on it). I'd look for 3rd party ones though because while Furminators are great, their prices are Monster Cable levels of bullshit. For alternatives, you can get a grooming loop, which is cheap and about as effective(though it's easier for fur to get tossed around).
The long haired one is comically furry, just a pile of fluff. Currently I'm using a pair of combs on his belly fur -- one for combing and one for him to chew on while he's being combed. It works, to an extent, but it's warmer now and he's in some dire need of a proper brushing.

I've tried to find a knock-off furminator but haven't managed to locate one yet.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
My girlfriend thinks it's unfair for my cats to be eating only two different flavors wet food for the rest of their lives. She makes the analogy: "how would you feel if you could only eat cheese pizza and a pepperoni pizza every day for the rest of your life?" And I just answer, "I'm not a cat."

She is half joking at the same time, but can someone help me come up with a better reasoning? Sometimes I wonder how my cats deal with eating the same 2 flavors every day even though they scarf up the food every time.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Why not compromise? Two flavors of food and any number of different treats. I don't think the cats really care as long as it tastes ok, but mine go crazy for many different treats and tidbits.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
We feed them the following for their main meals switching between the two different wet flavors and supplementing with the dry:

Wellness Core Wet (Fowl)
Wellness Core Wet (Fish)
Wellness Core Dry (Fish & Fowl)

We also feed them these snacks:

Wellness Pure Chicken & Lamb
Wellness Pure Turkey & Salmon

But I guess that's not enough for her. I look into these: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/products.aspx?pet=cat&ft=4 and see if that'll be enough...

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

hog wizard posted:

"how would you feel if you could only eat cheese pizza and a pepperoni pizza every day for the rest of your life?"

hog wizard posted:

We feed them the following for their main meals switching between the two different wet flavors and supplementing with the dry:

Wellness Core Wet (Fowl)
Wellness Core Wet (Fish)
Wellness Core Dry (Fish & Fowl)

We also feed them these snacks:

Wellness Pure Chicken & Lamb
Wellness Pure Turkey & Salmon

A more apt analogy would be "How would you feel if you could only eat Filet Mignon, fresh seared ahi tuna and occasional chocolate from the finest chocolatier for the rest of your life?"

I think I would be able to live. I don't think cats have quite the pallet that humans do, either.

\/ i cant stop laughing.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 23, 2011

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hog wizard posted:

She makes the analogy: "how would you feel if you could only eat cheese pizza and a pepperoni pizza every day for the rest of your life?" And I just answer, "I'm not a cat."
How would you feel if you licked your butthole as part of your daily regimen? That cat food's lookin' pretty good at that point.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dominion posted:

So we just got a new kitten, and he's doing fine and is wonderful. He has a bit of a weird habit though. He tries to nurse from people's hands. Like, suckles people's hands for quite some time if you let him, despite obviously getting no milk from it. He'll do the same to your face if you let him.

He's happily eating his food too so he's not starving or anything, but is this normal or is it a weird habit that I should be worried about?

That suckling is perfectly normal and adorable :3: they usually grow out of it so don't worry too much.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

duckfarts posted:

How would you feel if you licked your butthole as part of your daily regimen? That cat food's lookin' pretty good at that point.

Unless your my cat, sometimes it's clean and sometimes it's not. He does not enjoy me cleaning it for him so you'd think he would get the hint.

Mighty Amoeba
Jul 10, 2006

I am the mightiest of them all!
My kitten, Valentine (3 months old), loves, loves cuddling with people, but has no interest at all in cuddling with my other cat, Lucy. Lucy is 7, and has taken to Valentine quite well and is shockingly tolerant about Valentine being an rear end in a top hat.

They play fight all the time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0vy8PhylkM cross-posted from the Sarabi thread if you want to see), but Valentine's only interest in Lucy is jumping on her and biting her. She is the loudest purrer with people, but never with Lucy. Even if you get her really sleepy and put her next to Lucy, she won't stay. Valentine appears to be happy with this arrangement but Lucy's starting to seem a little harassed. Valentine sure likes to attack Lucy's rear end when she's walking away, which makes Lucy meow and run away.

Will Valentine settle down and be friendlier to Lucy when she gets older? Do I need to start training her into better interactions now, and how do I do that? I'm pretty sure Valentine is going to be bigger than Lucy when she grows up (Lucy was living out of a dumpster until she was 4 months old, Valentine's been eating quality food since she was born, plus Lucy's older and fat--we are attempting to diet) and I don't want her to be beating Lucy up all the time forever. Especially because Lucy is so receptive to having a friend.

I haven't had two cats at the same time or a kitten this young before. Feedback?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mighty Amoeba posted:

My kitten, Valentine (3 months old), loves, loves cuddling with people, but has no interest at all in cuddling with my other cat, Lucy. Lucy is 7, and has taken to Valentine quite well and is shockingly tolerant about Valentine being an rear end in a top hat.

They play fight all the time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0vy8PhylkM cross-posted from the Sarabi thread if you want to see), but Valentine's only interest in Lucy is jumping on her and biting her. She is the loudest purrer with people, but never with Lucy. Even if you get her really sleepy and put her next to Lucy, she won't stay. Valentine appears to be happy with this arrangement but Lucy's starting to seem a little harassed. Valentine sure likes to attack Lucy's rear end when she's walking away, which makes Lucy meow and run away.

Will Valentine settle down and be friendlier to Lucy when she gets older? Do I need to start training her into better interactions now, and how do I do that? I'm pretty sure Valentine is going to be bigger than Lucy when she grows up (Lucy was living out of a dumpster until she was 4 months old, Valentine's been eating quality food since she was born, plus Lucy's older and fat--we are attempting to diet) and I don't want her to be beating Lucy up all the time forever. Especially because Lucy is so receptive to having a friend.

I haven't had two cats at the same time or a kitten this young before. Feedback?
If your cat puts up with it, that's great. Your kitten is a kitten, so she'll be a jerk at least until 1 year old probably. Unless your cat really starts getting peeved, just roll with it.

I should add that you need to remember to give your cat attention is she's a people cat.

I remember when I had a year and a half old cat and brought a hand-sized kitten home. I learned that the entire width of the kitten could fit inside my cat's mouth. Good times.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
What is the best way to get a cat to take pills? My eldest cat had a reaction to something, and was losing fur in patches and looked pitiful, no energy, eating. We got her to the vet and he said she had an allergic reaction to something. Dunno what, but he gave her a shot and us a prescription of pills.

I've tried rolling it up in a little bit of meat, but she didn't eat it, and I tried squishing it in some cheese, but she did this weird lick thing and got all the drat cheese off of it. I finally got one down her throat (Suck it inbetween her teeth and made sure she didn't spit it out), but she didn't have none of that with the second one. Help?

MustangCharlie
Dec 9, 2004
My daddy won't give me moneys for drugs.. Waaaaaa
Hey PI/ Animal Farm, this is QMOW

QMOW stands for Quarter Master of the Watch, which was one of the watches I stood on my cutter in Alaska. I got him about two years ago for my wife so she wouldn't be so lonely while I was underway. As you can imagine, he and my wife have bonded quite a bit, he is pretty affectionate with her, and sometimes sits in her lap. With me though, he's never once sat on my lap, never nuzzled me, doesn't like me petting him for more than a minute. I don't think he doesn't like me, I just get the feeling that he doesn't crave the attention and affection that most cats do.

I'm trying not to force him into being the affectionate cat that I'd like him to be, because I'm hoping that he'll grow into that over time. I'm sure others here have dealt with cats like this before, can anyone offer any advice?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy
My cat has a thing for chewing the leafy tops off my whole pineapples. Am I going to inadvertently poison him if I don't cut the tops off right away?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Gothmog1065 posted:

What is the best way to get a cat to take pills? My eldest cat had a reaction to something, and was losing fur in patches and looked pitiful, no energy, eating. We got her to the vet and he said she had an allergic reaction to something. Dunno what, but he gave her a shot and us a prescription of pills.

I've tried rolling it up in a little bit of meat, but she didn't eat it, and I tried squishing it in some cheese, but she did this weird lick thing and got all the drat cheese off of it. I finally got one down her throat (Suck it inbetween her teeth and made sure she didn't spit it out), but she didn't have none of that with the second one. Help?

Any luck with pill pockets? You can get them at any pet supply place I'm pretty sure.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

MustangCharlie posted:

If you don't already, feed him. Being the one person who puts food in the bowl every day can really change things for some cats.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Any luck with pill pockets? You can get them at any pet supply place I'm pretty sure.

I'll have to schedule a trip down to Petsmart sometime tomorrow then. It's lovely there's no pet stores nearby.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I made a song about my cat.

I was pretty bored v:shobon:v

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I've got some eye medicine for Grumples which I'm supposed to put in the affected eye every day, but it's not drops - it's much thicker, like petroleum jelly, and comes in a squeezy tube.

If I just squeeze it over his eye it doesn't go anywhere - it won't stick to his eyeball. Any advice on how I can get it into his eye without coating my finger in it and swiping my finger over his actual eye? Poor cat's hating the whole thing enough as it is.

Rockets
Nov 8, 2003
Fitness is rocket science :smith:

Gothmog1065 posted:

I had this same question on page 92 and got a lot of helpful responses. I wound up using the method linked in a video and it worked like magic.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

marshmallard posted:

I've got some eye medicine for Grumples which I'm supposed to put in the affected eye every day, but it's not drops - it's much thicker, like petroleum jelly, and comes in a squeezy tube.

If I just squeeze it over his eye it doesn't go anywhere - it won't stick to his eyeball. Any advice on how I can get it into his eye without coating my finger in it and swiping my finger over his actual eye? Poor cat's hating the whole thing enough as it is.
If the problem is that you can't get the little string of ointment to sever, use the eyelid to scrape it off. You shouldn't have to actually touch the tip directly to the lid to to this if you're careful - you just have to torque it just right. (And obviously you never want to touch the tip to the cat's eye.) Similarly sometimes if you let the cat blink, the eyelids will pinch off the strip of ointment for you.

Sometimes it's easier for people to pull the lower eyelid down (or the upper lid up) and apply the ointment into the groove/gap between the lid and eye. If you're squirting it far enough into the gap between lid and eye, simply letting go of the eyelid will pinch off the ointment. But even if you're basically just applying it to the inner edge of the eyelid, sometimes it will stick better there, and most of it will end up in the eye as soon as the cat blinks.

I hope that made some small amount of sense because it's hard to explain and I can't find a video for it.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

Mighty Amoeba posted:

Some cats will never be buddy-buddy, but she should settle down after a year or two. I got both of my current cats when they were young and they still don't cuddle. They love to wrestle with each other and will even sleep near each other, but all attempts to groom each other or snuggle end in a wrestling match.

Miss Squid
Jul 3, 2007
I'm at a point with one of my cats, where I'm not sure what else to try or if this is something I'm just going to have to live with. We rescued Dexter three years ago after his owners stopped feeding him and letting him inside. He was over a year old and pretty beat up, so we took him home, got him neutered and all cleaned up. But I think because he had been neutered so late, and had been surviving in the outdoors, he had picked up the habit of spraying/marking, and never got out of it.

He was into the vet for urine tests and other check-up stuff after a few months of the spraying, and everything was clear there, the vet said it was definitely behavioral and not medical. The vet tried him on an anti-anxiety pill for a few months, and this didn't help. Since then, over the past two years, we've tried him on Feliway, as well as another type of pheromone diffuser, and an anti-anxiety collar. None of these seemed to make much of a difference.

We clean the areas he is spraying with Nature's Miracle, and we have a blue light thing to help us find any spots we may have missed.

The trigger seems to be ANYTHING happening outside. He is indoors only and shows no desire to go outside, but he likes looking out the window. but if a cat walks by, or bird are irritating him, or etc etc, he gets stressed out and sprays. When I'm home to catch it, he gets aggravated for a bit, meowing and pacing, before he sprays.

Other than this, he is a completely happy cat. We have four cats and they are all buddies. He grooms with the other cats, cuddles them, plays with them, etc, etc. He gets tons of love. They eat Orijen. Litterbox is cleaned every day. He has lots of fun toys and a gigantic cat tree. He sleeps with his tummy up a lot and sits on my lap for cuddles. He is a fabulous sweet cat, but he sprays at least weekly, and sometimes multiple times daily.

Is there anything I am missing? I'm going to make it work regardless, and I'm thinking of taking him back to the vet for more advice, but I'm not sure what else they can suggest.

He's the handsome devil on the right:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Crap. I think my cat has some kind of worm infestation. I saw some weird white thing in his tail and I picked it up and the thing was definitely alive. Now I'm worried that they are all over the loving place because jesus the cat sits all over the place. What do I do? How do I get rid of them and make loving sure I don't get one or something. This is so gross.

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe

marshmallard posted:

It's probably Terramycin and I am giving it to my kitten for conjuctivitis. Just hold open the eye, get it on there and then forcefully make them blink until it spreads around they eyeball. Just move their face kind of up and down, I don't man forceful as in mean.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Reason posted:

Crap. I think my cat has some kind of worm infestation. I saw some weird white thing in his tail and I picked it up and the thing was definitely alive. Now I'm worried that they are all over the loving place because jesus the cat sits all over the place. What do I do? How do I get rid of them and make loving sure I don't get one or something. This is so gross.
If it was about the size of a grain of rice, it's probably tapeworms which cats get from fleas. You should take your cat and/or a fecal sample to the vet to get an appropriate dewormer, keep your cat on a topical flea preventative, and clean your house.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Reason posted:

Remember, don't just worm your cats, worm yourself! Go to the chemist , tell em you think your moggy has worms and you want some sort of prophylactic worming treatment for yourself. Cats might be incredibly hygenic, but they clean their rear end with their mouth and then lick the poo poo out of everything else, including you.

But if you regularly worm yourself as well as your pets you really have nothing to worry about. (Most!) worms take a fair time before they can disrupt your body in any major way, and its in their interest to avoid disrupting you as a host. So even if you catch it early with a worming treatment, you won't have anything to worry about. Thank gently caress heartworm doesn't affect humans.

In fact if you've got a pet you should probably do it every 3-6 months like you would do with your cat.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Hi Animal Farm I just recently adopted two cats. A friendly stray had decided to raise her kitten on our patio. Yesterday we captured them, got them vaccinated, now they're at home separated from our other cat in the guest room. My girlfriend's a 'cat person' but this is all new to me.

We vaccinated all 3 for the 'outdoor' diseases. The vet recommended keeping the outdoor cats away from our indoor one for a week, which shouldn't be a problem.

Some pictures:

Mommy's doing well, she's hiding under the bed but leans out to sniff fingers, will eat offered kibbles, etc. The kitten's just hiding way in the back up against the wall though. Mommy's giving the 'all clear' chirps, but the kitten isn't responding to them. From his weight (3 pounds) the vet estimated he's ~12 weeks old, which from what I'm reading is past the 'easy' window for socialization but not impossible. His first real human contact was us catching him for the vet visit.

When we're home from work today we're going to try separating them and putting the kitten in the bathroom for easier contact and leave Mommy in the guest room. Her chirps aren't really helping and the guest room is just giving the kitten a giant bed to hide under. Any advice on socialization? Advice on getting him out from under the bed with minimal trauma?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

JawnV6 posted:

When we're home from work today we're going to try separating them and putting the kitten in the bathroom for easier contact and leave Mommy in the guest room. Her chirps aren't really helping and the guest room is just giving the kitten a giant bed to hide under. Any advice on socialization? Advice on getting him out from under the bed with minimal trauma?

It's only been one day. Leave the kitten to hide, it'll make its way out to investigate. I wouldn't separate it from its mom. They're freaked out, they got took out of their area, put in a box, stabbed with needles, and are now in a foreign environment. Give them a week and see what happens

Lady Gaga
Sep 20, 2009
I need some advice kitten thread. I am a long time lurker of this thread and have never owned a cat before. My girlfriend and I are interested in getting a cat (she's owned tons of all shapes and sizes so she knows her cats). However, we live in a small one-bedroom Manhattan apartment. It's not like a studio but it definitely is not spacious.

We found a cat that we just adored--a big fluffy Maine coon--at an adoption agency. The only issue is that the adoption agency is totally unwilling to let him be adopted without adopting another cat. We are ok getting two cats but I'm worried about the space issue (and we found another who we love!). However, my girlfriend is a firm believer in the idea that cats like space and although I've seen arguments against that here and on other forums I want to post it here so people can tell us directly that these little guys will be comfortable and happy.

Our apartment is about 500-600ish square feet if I remember correctly.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
Get a cat tree or some vertical space they can hang out in, they should be fine in 500-600 square feet. If my cat is any indication all they really need is about 2 ft. all day to nap in until play time :)

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
They really don't need that much space. We have 3 in a 2bdr apartment and they don't even use most of the space. Just make sure they have shelves or a cat tree.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

2508084 posted:

It's only been one day. Leave the kitten to hide, it'll make its way out to investigate. I wouldn't separate it from its mom. They're freaked out, they got took out of their area, put in a box, stabbed with needles, and are now in a foreign environment. Give them a week and see what happens

Yeah, that plan was a little... premature. Got home today to find our indoor cat still feeling the vaccine. She's lethargic and sensitive to touch anywhere other than her head and back. We're figuring the new cats are also a little off from that. One encouraging bit was that the mom had eaten some food and used the litter box, so they're not JUST hanging out under the bed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Lady Gaga posted:

I need some advice kitten thread. I am a long time lurker of this thread and have never owned a cat before. My girlfriend and I are interested in getting a cat (she's owned tons of all shapes and sizes so she knows her cats). However, we live in a small one-bedroom Manhattan apartment. It's not like a studio but it definitely is not spacious.

We found a cat that we just adored--a big fluffy Maine coon--at an adoption agency. The only issue is that the adoption agency is totally unwilling to let him be adopted without adopting another cat. We are ok getting two cats but I'm worried about the space issue (and we found another who we love!). However, my girlfriend is a firm believer in the idea that cats like space and although I've seen arguments against that here and on other forums I want to post it here so people can tell us directly that these little guys will be comfortable and happy.

Our apartment is about 500-600ish square feet if I remember correctly.

As has been said, as long as you have vertical space - cat trees, book shelves, dresser, etc you'll be fine. I live in a 1br apartment that's only a little bigger and my two cats get along fine.

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

I have a question about some recent odd behavior from a friendly stray that lives in my apartment complex. I grew up around dogs, and while my family had cats when I was younger, I'm pretty out of touch with cat psychology, outside of the "cats are weird" adage.

There are a pair of friendly strays who live in my apartment complex, they look like brothers and are usually together. One of them is a little more vocal and slightly less affectionate than his sibling. They've been around our complex for several months now, and have gotten friendly with my SO and myself. They will come up to us if we're out in the parking lot, hang out with us if we're outside, get petted and scratched and sit around grooming or playing with each other. In general, they're pretty social and friendly with us.

However, as of about two weeks ago, the more vocal, less-friendly one seems to have lost his poo poo. When he sees either my SO or myself outside, he will run to us, loudly meowing the whole time, and tangle himself in our legs. If you try to walk, he will follow you while constantly looking up and meowing, and trying his damnedest to be under foot. If you stop, he'll prostrate himself on top of your feet purring loudly. While he's doing this, if you happen to be wearing flip flops, he'll lick and nip your toes. He'll cat-headbutt your hand so that you pet and scratch him.

The other cat is totally normal and acts the same way he always has.

What the hell is going on?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I am fostering two kittens and they just came back from their speutering. The guy who dropped them off, the founder of my rescue org, said to keep them in their carriers at least till midnight and probably even all night. I feel awful doing that :( If it's necessary I will, but if it'd be okay to keep them in the bathroom, for example, I'd rather do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Cpaka posted:

I have a question about some recent odd behavior from a friendly stray that lives in my apartment complex. I grew up around dogs, and while my family had cats when I was younger, I'm pretty out of touch with cat psychology, outside of the "cats are weird" adage.

There are a pair of friendly strays who live in my apartment complex, they look like brothers and are usually together. One of them is a little more vocal and slightly less affectionate than his sibling. They've been around our complex for several months now, and have gotten friendly with my SO and myself. They will come up to us if we're out in the parking lot, hang out with us if we're outside, get petted and scratched and sit around grooming or playing with each other. In general, they're pretty social and friendly with us.

However, as of about two weeks ago, the more vocal, less-friendly one seems to have lost his poo poo. When he sees either my SO or myself outside, he will run to us, loudly meowing the whole time, and tangle himself in our legs. If you try to walk, he will follow you while constantly looking up and meowing, and trying his damnedest to be under foot. If you stop, he'll prostrate himself on top of your feet purring loudly. While he's doing this, if you happen to be wearing flip flops, he'll lick and nip your toes. He'll cat-headbutt your hand so that you pet and scratch him.

The other cat is totally normal and acts the same way he always has.

What the hell is going on?

Cats are weird.

Seriously, though, it's likely that the one simply has attached to you two as the friendly ones. Have you ever fed him? If you're the only ones who have he could very well have decided you are the people who feed him and so he loves you.

It could also be that soemthing bad happened (a fight, a kid threw a rock at him, whatever), and so he is running to the people he knows won't hurt him.