Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Anybody who is bitching about not being able to find a job is pretty much useless and should probably go into social work anyway. It's not that difficult to start out at a smaller firm and move up into biglaw. You just need to network and practice your interviewing style and technique. To quote the immortal Keith Richards, you don't always get what you want, but if you try hard enough and make enough coffee for other people, you get what's coming to you.

I can usually get a practitioner to sit down and have an informational interview with me, but finding one with enough work to warrant an associate is a bit more difficult.

Still trying though :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder
I signed up for Federal Income Tax for this upcoming semester but I'm really nervous about it. I was told it was important for family law by a 3L who is also interested in family law, but I also heard it was a miserable class and I don't want to bring my grades down for something that might not help me all that much. My grades aren't awesome to begin with so I don't need any help making them worse :(

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

CaptainScraps posted:

I can usually get a practitioner to sit down and have an informational interview with me, but finding one with enough work to warrant an associate is a bit more difficult.

Down in Miami you can find new associate positions for $20k a year if you speak Spanish and can out prestige the UF/UM grads. These positions include PI claims against Winn-Dixie because Jorge slipped on a can of Goya beans - just hope Winn-Dixie's camera didn't catch his friend casually placing the can on the ground! The Russians have also imported the NY/NJ no-fault insurance scams so you could try to settle Vlad's soft muscle tissue claim that he received from a 2mph fender bender.

Or you can go the more typical path and build experience working for a foreclosure mill/defense starting at $10/hr (or unpaid). About 20% of homeowners are in foreclosure and the vast majority of them don't know or care that you will fraudulently sign off on fake mortgage notes. So long as you don't end up at one of the firms that get poo poo on by the Florida AG you will be able to get that coveted 2-3 years of civil litigation experience.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Neko Sou posted:

I signed up for Federal Income Tax for this upcoming semester but I'm really nervous about it. I was told it was important for family law by a 3L who is also interested in family law, but I also heard it was a miserable class and I don't want to bring my grades down for something that might not help me all that much. My grades aren't awesome to begin with so I don't need any help making them worse :(

It's pretty easy if you just do the work, it's very mechanical so there's no stupid bullshit that gets thrown at you.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

diospadre posted:

It's pretty easy if you just do the work, it's very mechanical so there's no stupid bullshit that gets thrown at you.

Yes, the stupid bullshit in tax law (i.e., the Tax Court's seeming belief that its precedents don't require rethinking until every last circuit court rules overrules them) isn't stuff that gets taught a law school income tax class.

MaximumBob fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 26, 2011

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Neko Sou posted:

Tax is like a big statutory puzzle without all the conlaw grey area bullshit. Learn all the moving parts then run lots of hypos and practice exams to get a feel for how they work with and affect each other. I always enjoyed that moment in a tax class where all the interlocking pieces began to sync and make sense for me.

For what it's worth, I was just an English major with absolutely no financial background whatsoever, and I ended up loving and doing well in tax classes.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So MaximumBob, 10-8, and/or anyone else who's with the IRS that I might have forgotten--once you've graduated and started to practice, what's the favored way to get a job with the agency? Do they have any recruiting rather than the usual "one usajobs listing every ~18 months that gets 95,000 applications" method? Do they ever hire anyone who comes from non-tax-law practice backgrounds?

prussian advisor fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 26, 2011

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

prussian advisor posted:

So MaximumBob, 10-8, and/or anyone else who's with the IRS that I might have forgotten. Once you've graduated and started to practice, what's the favored way to get a job with the agency? Do they have any recruiting rather than the usual "one usajobs listing every ~18 months that gets 95,000 applications" method? Do they ever hire anyone who comes from non-tax-law practice backgrounds?

I think 10-8 looks at these things more closely than I do, but short of through their honors program (out of law school or a clerkship) I don't think they hire from non-tax backgrounds except for laterals from other federal agencies. And that seems to be relatively rare.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CaptainScraps posted:

I was kidding.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

MaximumBob posted:

I think 10-8 looks at these things more closely than I do, but short of through their honors program (out of law school or a clerkship) I don't think they hire from non-tax backgrounds except for laterals from other federal agencies. And that seems to be relatively rare.

Do you know if honors programs recruit from clerkships even if they haven't been done straight out of school?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I was kidding.

There are still lawyers who talk that way, so be careful with what you say.
(Just found out that I probably don't qualify for unemployment and if i do I'll get $40/wk . . . gently caress)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I was kidding.

Hahah, sorry man. You sounded a bit like my mom for a second.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I'm a good fakeposter.

Let me say, though, that the better off your personal situation, the more "gently caress you got mine" your attitude. Which I guess partially explains the republican party (the other part is Jesus and blacks/mexicans)

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

prussian advisor posted:

So MaximumBob, 10-8, and/or anyone else who's with the IRS that I might have forgotten--once you've graduated and started to practice, what's the favored way to get a job with the agency? Do they have any recruiting rather than the usual "one usajobs listing every ~18 months that gets 95,000 applications" method? Do they ever hire anyone who comes from non-tax-law practice backgrounds?
Once you exit the window for honors hiring, the only way in that I've ever heard of is through usajobs.gov. And yes, they do hire from non-tax-law backgrounds, but it has to be somewhat related. For instance, I know people who have previously practiced in the area of employee benefit plans. It's not tax law per se, but it's closely-enough related that the hiring folks thought that knowledge would be of use to the agency.

prussian advisor posted:

Do you know if honors programs recruit from clerkships even if they haven't been done straight out of school?
According to this website, they do not hire for honors if you have more than one year of "post-JD legal work experience."

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

10-8 posted:

According to this website, they do not hire for honors if you have more than one year of "post-JD legal work experience."

Well, I don't think that makes any sense from the employer's perspective, but it also doesn't surprise me at all.

It freshly amazes me every time when I realize how many fields of law you basically have to get into on the ground floor (somehow) or you are basically blackballed out of it forever, or at least long enough that moving into it would become totally impractical at best.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I'm a good fakeposter.

Let me say, though, that the better off your personal situation, the more "gently caress you got mine" your attitude. Which I guess partially explains the republican party (the other part is Jesus and blacks/mexicans)

What if your attitude is "I got mine but I'm still so poor that I'm unable to help you, and therefore gently caress off with your begging?" I don't wanna be a Republican :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

What if your attitude is "I got mine but I'm still so poor that I'm unable to help you, and therefore gently caress off with your begging?" I don't wanna be a Republican :(
That's almost more republican.
Aren't you also becoming a DA? Go buy some tea bags.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

BigHead posted:

You can't got mine and still be poor, got mine doesn't work like that.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
"Got mine still love you" is liberal elite right? I like that one.

In other news, anyone who's taken any civil rights/L&E classes has probably studied Abercrombie's look policy and the legal quagmire it has caused. It has struck again: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008260/Muslim-woman-files-lawsuit-Abercrombie-amp-Fitch-fired-wearing-headscarf-work.htm

In high school A&E was too expensive for me so I labeled it the brand of douches. Now their clothes appear like dishrags to me and I laugh at their misfortune.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

BigHead posted:

What if your attitude is "I got mine but I'm still so poor that I'm unable to help you, and therefore gently caress off with your begging?"

Then you probably work for Legal Aid.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Today's advice from a legal practitioner on getting a job in Texas: "Go to New Mexico."

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

diospadre posted:

You can't got mine and still be poor, got mine doesn't work like that.

Ok, good. I ain't got mine yet, which means I can still be a dirty liberal hippy.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/the-lawyer-surplus-state-by-state/?hp

In fact, across the country, there were twice as many people who passed the bar in 2009 (53,508) as there were openings (26,239).

Texas surplus is 1,000 a year. Thank god they are putting a new state law school in Dallas.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
173 LSAT, 3.3 undergrad GPA (hosed up a first major then changed it), should I bother applying anywhere or just stay the course for applying to maritime academies?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

shovelbum posted:

173 LSAT, 3.3 undergrad GPA (hosed up a first major then changed it), should I bother applying anywhere or just stay the course for applying to maritime academies?

Troll for fee waivers, see what happens. Apply for both.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

shovelbum posted:

You've got a decent shot at good schools.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

shovelbum posted:

That's a rough split, it puts you below the 25th percentile GPA-wise at every T14. If you're an average white dude, I'd say you'll have maybe okay odds at a T14 or two, but you won't be able to be picky about it. If there's something weird about your resume or it's a bad year, you could get shut out of it entirely.

So how risk-averse are you? Would you be satisfied with school 18, 19, 20? Would you be satisfied with GULC or Texas, with no money?

You're likely not going to get a consistent answer in this thread, given that there are people from those T14s and better working lovely jobs and even unemployed, and there are others doing just fine. And you're not even a sure thing at a T14 with such severe splitting like that. I know TLS had threads about GPA/LSAT splits like that, you might want to check them out to see how people with similar situations fared.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Those were almost exactly my numbers ten years ago and I got waitlisted at 6 t14's/eventually got in at two back then. It hasn't gotten much easier since. If you really, really want to go to law school I actually recommend moving to Michigan or Virginia, waiting a year and applying in-state.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Check out lawschoolnumbers.com for sure.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

shovelbum posted:

Just apply.
Can't hurt unless you're actually admitted and go. (Don't go)

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

shovelbum posted:

Literally the exact same numbers (well 172 and 3.35) but my results were:

Penn reject
UT reject
USC reject
NYU WL
Mich WL
Gtown WL
Cornell WL
Duke WL
Northwestern admit

and I am a rising 2L at Northwestern now and as happy as a debt-ridden clam. Also I had very very good softs, sports music extracurriculars interesting jobs outside of the country. Also I'm a white dude.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

That's a rough split, it puts you below the 25th percentile GPA-wise at every T14.

You mean T13, incidentally.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

evilweasel posted:

Yeah seriously. No T14 anymore, sorry. Or T15.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Direwolf posted:

Literally the exact same numbers (well 172 and 3.35) but my results were:

Penn reject
UT reject
USC reject
NYU WL
Mich WL
Gtown WL
Cornell WL
Duke WL
Northwestern admit

and I am a rising 2L at Northwestern now and as happy as a debt-ridden clam. Also I had very very good softs, sports music extracurriculars interesting jobs outside of the country. Also I'm a white dude.

NW is the work-experience required one, right? That raises additional requirements. He does have some WE if I'm thinking of the same guy, though, so NW might be doable.

evilweasel posted:

B-b-b-but it's still the top fourteen rankings! There's just fifteen schools in it now...

Incidentally does anyone actually know why US News Rankings even bothers having schools in the T14 tie? I understand having Texas break in, but the tying at 7/7 and 9/9 is weird.

topheryan fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 28, 2011

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Because it's an impartial, scientific ranking system. Retard.

Anthropolis
Jun 9, 2002

Finally some statistics on the surplus of lawyers. The good news is that there are only twice as many new lawyers as jobs - I think most of us had been assuming 3x or 4x on account of the recession.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/the-lawyer-surplus-state-by-state/

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Anthropolis posted:

Finally some statistics on the surplus of lawyers. The good news is that there are only twice as many new lawyers as jobs - I think most of us had been assuming 3x or 4x on account of the recession.

fukkin lol the study only took bar passage into account for Wisconsin.

better triple that number, geniuses.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Anthropolis posted:

Problem with this kind of analysis: some people pass multiple bars.

Problem with pointing out problems with this article: law school really is a terrible idea.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

NW is the work-experience required one, right? That raises additional requirements. He does have some WE if I'm thinking of the same guy, though, so NW might be doable.

I've been working for 2 years out of college but have some unemployment in there, just landed a full time job in my undergrad field though. I have an ex at Northwestern, but their law campus is off-site, isn't it? Anyway I guess my softs are all poo poo because I've been breaking my back working 50 hours a week instead of giving blowjobs to the handicapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008260/Muslim-woman-files-lawsuit-Abercrombie-amp-Fitch-fired-wearing-headscarf-work.html

actual link.