Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007
Ever since the OTA update a while back my EVO has had the ghost voicemail icon, and has been acting weird and glitchy....is there an update soon to fix this? Whats going on....its getting quite annoying.

edit: not rooted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Will there be ways to filter for 3D stuff in the market? I mean, are there even other 3D phones on the market? I'd love to see developers do more with the 3D, but is there a big market to support it? So far when I search for 3D I get swamped with games using computer graphics.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Speaking of the EVO 3D update, has anybody that's unrooted not received their update? My father's EVO never prompted him to update and trying to update manually doesn't find anything either. Is there a reliable place to download the update from? After that, is it just a matter of putting it on the root of the SD card and booting into recovery?

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I'm just about to upgrade to a new phone (from the crappy old Samsung Exclaim). I'm on old SERO, and I want to get an Android phone, which I know means at least $10 more a month. Apparently San Francisco got 4G in December of last year- any word on how the quality/coverage is in the Financial District? Am I crazy to save $120 a year by not getting a HTC EVO?

I haven't ever paid more than $50 for a phone, but I know that I'll have to this time, even with my $150 upgrade credit. I've seen the EVO on eBay (refurb) for $50 less than I would pay to Sprint, and it appears that I could get the LG Optimus S for cheaper too. Is that a good purchase route?

Things that are important to me:
Battery life (more than 24 hours would be nice)
No crashing
email/web browsing
Google maps w/ GPS
games (mostly Angry Birds, which is unplayably slow on my wife's Transform)

Things I don't care about:
videos/movies
Facebook notifications

I read the OP, and I'm about to go to a corp. store to check out those 2 phones, and I'll probably get one sometime this week. Any advice is appreciated.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Is anyone else getting TERRIBLE download speeds off this thing? 2 bars of 4g service and I am pulling down .24mbps and up 1.4mbps

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Old Man Pants posted:

Is anyone else getting TERRIBLE download speeds off this thing? 2 bars of 4g service and I am pulling down .24mbps and up 1.4mbps

My 4G speeds in LA have been between 4-5 Mbps consistently. Also, indoor 4G reception has been pretty ok for the most part, but I'm not exactly in a big office building or anything.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would that basically restart my plan for another 2 years and give me $75 off the on-contract price of a new phone?
Yes you sign another contract for two years, but I'm pretty certain it's $75 off the retail price of a new phone. At which point you may very well prefer to spend $75 more to purchase unsubsidized (possibly less if purchased on new-in-box on eBay), to retain much better upgrade pricing in twelve (ten?) months time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Jorath posted:

Things that are important to me:
Battery life (more than 24 hours would be nice)

Unless you are a very light user this won't happen.

Bioshuffle posted:

Will there be ways to filter for 3D stuff in the market? I mean, are there even other 3D phones on the market? I'd love to see developers do more with the 3D, but is there a big market to support it? So far when I search for 3D I get swamped with games using computer graphics.

I don't think there are any 3D apps on the market, or any APIs for making poo poo 3D even publicly yet.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes you sign another contract for two years, but I'm pretty certain it's $75 off the retail price of a new phone. At which point you may very well prefer to spend $75 more to purchase unsubsidized (possibly less if purchased on new-in-box on eBay), to retain much better upgrade pricing in twelve (ten?) months time.

So instead of paying the $75 + difference to buy a new phone next year, buy a phone unsubsidized and sign up another contract and get better pricing next time?

Wouldn't the unsubsidized price be higher than the usual $200 for an on-contract price?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I was just kidding before, but seriously now that I think about it, I can't loving wait for angry birds 3d.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wouldn't the unsubsidized price be higher than the usual $200 for an on-contract price?
I admit, I don't know how it works anymore since everything's instant-rebate right now. I last upgraded when mail-in rebates were the norm for both new and upgrade customers, and the difference was that the two-year upgrade was $150 off and I was eligible for the $100 mail-in rebate that new customers got as well.

So it's not just $75 off at one-year vs. $150 off at two-year, but $150 + $100 (or more) in rebates. I suppose someone who just upgraded to the Evo 3D can comment on the pricing there.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I admit, I don't know how it works anymore since everything's instant-rebate right now. I last upgraded when mail-in rebates were the norm for both new and upgrade customers, and the difference was that the two-year upgrade was $150 off and I was eligible for the $100 mail-in rebate that new customers got as well.

So it's not just $75 off at one-year vs. $150 off at two-year, but $150 + $100 (or more) in rebates. I suppose someone who just upgraded to the Evo 3D can comment on the pricing there.

For the 3D, it's the $150 upgrade discount and a $200 instant rebate, bringing the price down from $550 to $200.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kreeblah posted:

For the 3D, it's the $150 upgrade discount and a $200 instant rebate, bringing the price down from $550 to $200.
Cool, that's how they've typically done it in the past.

In other words, with a two-year upgrade you (typically) get new customer pricing, which is much better than $150 off retail. With a one-year upgrade you only get $75 off retail.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ahh, okay I get it now! Thanks a lot, guys! I'm new to the post-paid thing but I'll make a note of all this for reminders when it comes time to upgrade if I wanted to.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The battery life on my 3d has just been improving massively. Today its sitting at 23 and I watched all of green hornet, used youtube for 30 min, browsed SA randomly throughout the day, and texted heavily throughout the day. I'm at 10 hours in so far on definitely heavy use.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Totally TWISTED posted:

Ok this morning I woke up to a popup on my Shift saying something about an OTA update being available. I cancelled out to text and check email. Going back into settings > System Updates I am told that everything is up to date. What update did I just miss? I assume it will randomly pop back up at some point, when it does, do I actually want to install it?

Don't worry about it it is an awful update slowing my fiance's phone down like crazy.

unknown poster posted:

Ever since the OTA update a while back my EVO has had the ghost voicemail icon, and has been acting weird and glitchy....is there an update soon to fix this? Whats going on....its getting quite annoying.

edit: not rooted

On that note, this is a known bug with the evo update getting fixed soon. HTC and/or sprint screwed up the 2.3 update for the evo and shift pretty bad.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 27, 2011

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Didn't see this posted, but maybe I just missed it in the stream of Evo 3D chat.

3rd quarter roadmap was leaked with the Epic 2 (1.2ghz single core), Galaxy S II and a couple new Blackberry phones with .

http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/24/sprint-samsung-epic-2-galaxy-within-blackberry-bold-touch-monaco/

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Rurutia posted:

The battery life on my 3d has just been improving massively. Today its sitting at 23 and I watched all of green hornet, used youtube for 30 min, browsed SA randomly throughout the day, and texted heavily throughout the day. I'm at 10 hours in so far on definitely heavy use.
My laptop can't make it through a whole movie. :(

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
ok, I guess I had my 'upgrade' pricing all wrong, because now the EVO is showing at $99 and the 3deez at $199 for me.

Is there a good docking solution for the 3D like the one for the EVO?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Jorath posted:

ok, I guess I had my 'upgrade' pricing all wrong, because now the EVO is showing at $99 and the 3deez at $199 for me.

Is there a good docking solution for the 3D like the one for the EVO?

Huh, that's kind of awesome of them. It's not like the original evo is a piece of poo poo after all.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

On that note, this is a known bug with the evo update getting fixed soon. HTC and/or sprint screwed up the 2.3 update for the evo and shift pretty bad.

This would be correct. Known issue being worked on.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I'm a Verizon customer looking to switch to Sprint soon and I have a few questions.

Is there any way to get 1yr contracts or is it all 2yr now on Sprint too?
If I use an employee discount to purchase the plan, what happens when I leave that company?
Is there any information on Sprint potentially moving to tiered data like Verizon, or is it more likely to be a T-Mobile-esque "throttling"?

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

change my name posted:

Huh, that's kind of awesome of them. It's not like the original evo is a piece of poo poo after all.

With out outing too much info the 99.99 evo is an amazing deal. Some business folks can get a brand new evo 4g for 24.99. Pretty amazing.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm a Verizon customer looking to switch to Sprint soon and I have a few questions.

If I use an employee discount to purchase the plan, what happens when I leave that company?
Is there any information on Sprint potentially moving to tiered data like Verizon, or is it more likely to be a T-Mobile-esque "throttling"?

1. all 2 years as far as I know unless you feel like going the Virgin/Boost route (both owned by Sprint) who surprisingly have a couple decent Android phones
2. not sure
3. nothing for sure, but the general feeling is that Sprint will keep unlimited pricing as long as possible. If its feasible to keep it for the foreseeable future then I imagine that's what they'll do; if tiered pricing eventually does come around, my bet would be that unlimited will remain, it will just cost more. The $10 "smartphone" fee exists to help protect against having to resort to this

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Disclaimer: not affiliated with sprint, so none of this is official.

1. Only 2 year contracts. New customers have a 30 day no-questions full-refund guarantee, though, so you'll have a few weeks to test, and once that contract is up, you're welcome to stay off contract forever (I've been off contract for like 3 years), as long as you forgo upgrade discounts.
2. Assuming you're talking about getting an employer discount off your individual plan, and not signing up through some corporate account or something, the official answer is that you have to inform sprint that you've left, and they remove the discount. The unofficial answer is that you don't, and they don't, and enjoy your permanent discount.
3. No, there's no information. The premium data fee is supposed to head this sort of thing off, and all sprint's spectrum deals over the last few years have left it in a position to have shitloads of (theoretical) data capacity, compared to the other carriers, but come on -- they'll do whatever they want as soon as they think they can make more money that way.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

PTrexitus posted:

With out outing too much info the 99.99 evo is an amazing deal. Some business folks can get a brand new evo 4g for 24.99. Pretty amazing.
For me Amazon is showing the Evo 4G at 1¢, I dunno if that price is actually correct, though.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Do you know what exactly the benefit of signing up with an employee discount is? Like do they just take a % chunk off of the main line's price like Verizon does, or does each company have their own perks through Sprint? Looking at the sprint shop through my company's "private store" that I got in an email from Sprint doesn't really seem to yield much information.

One of the main reasons I'm switching from Verizon is that I was told that due to my brother's corporate discount, we would be able to continue to get 1yr contract upgrades. Today I was informed by a very rude customer service rep that I was lied to and that not only did that go away, but so did any discount on the device itself. Every loving week their plans change and with every change the customer gets shafted just a liiitle bit more.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I know that my bf gets 23% off his plan through his corporate discount. No other benfits as far as I can tell.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Do you know what exactly the benefit of signing up with an employee discount is? Like do they just take a % chunk off of the main line's price
Yeah, like the normal smartphone data plan is $69.99/mo, so if your company has negotiated 20% off, then you only pay $55.99/mo. Don't forget to factor in the extra $10 premium data fee after that though, which isn't affected.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Do you know what exactly the benefit of signing up with an employee discount is? Like do they just take a % chunk off of the main line's price like Verizon does, or does each company have their own perks through Sprint? Looking at the sprint shop through my company's "private store" that I got in an email from Sprint doesn't really seem to yield much information.

One of the main reasons I'm switching from Verizon is that I was told that due to my brother's corporate discount, we would be able to continue to get 1yr contract upgrades. Today I was informed by a very rude customer service rep that I was lied to and that not only did that go away, but so did any discount on the device itself. Every loving week their plans change and with every change the customer gets shafted just a liiitle bit more.

Unless you actively tell Sprint "Hey I left the company, you should start charging more" they extremely rarely audit accounts. Very rarely, so your discount would stay.

Discount goes off of base plan, which in Sprint's case is base voice+text+data. $10 data add on and other add ons like insurance do not, as td4guy noted, get discounted. If you have a family plan, add a lines do not get discounted.

The benefits of signing up with an employee discount is saving a % off the bill every month. Def make sure you are saving money with this.

All cell phone companies shaft customers. Right now Sprint is a pretty good buy though: TMobile is going away, VZ and AT&T are crazy expensive + tiered data, and Sprint has a pretty solid lineup. The important part is to make sure you know what you are getting and not getting and just do the research like you are doing. Make sure you get your $125 port credit (goes till July 23rd). Overall, it can change but right now Sprint is a no brainer thanks to VZ tiered data plans. Get the 3D or Nexus S phone wise.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Duckman2008 posted:

Make sure you get your $125 port credit (goes till July 23rd). Overall, it can change but right now Sprint is a no brainer thanks to VZ tiered data plans. Get the 3D or Nexus S phone wise.

My Evo 3D is currently on its way and I'm porting my number over from Verizon. When I talked to the Sprint rep they said I had to manually redeem the port credit and I only have 72 hours to do it. How do I go about doing this? Will the instructions come with the phone or is it somewhere on the website?

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
anyone buy the phone outright? I just wanted to see where the best deal was. Only thing I found was Amazon where I can get it for 455 dollars.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

My Evo 3D is currently on its way and I'm porting my number over from Verizon. When I talked to the Sprint rep they said I had to manually redeem the port credit and I only have 72 hours to do it. How do I go about doing this? Will the instructions come with the phone or is it somewhere on the website?

I'm assuming you haven't ported the number yet (which is more than fine). When the phone comes in you call Sprint and have them port your number. After that, you go to sprint.com/switchtosprint and register for youe credit. The 72 hours is from time of port, so don't fret missing that due to shipping.

ItalianStallion
Jul 18, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Mine's also in the mail and I'm doing this same thing. I believe you just need to go to http://sprint.com/switchtosprint and that should handle it.

I'm currently hyper stoked about this thing arriving since it's going to be my first non-lovely phone. Anything I should know about smartphone'n for someone coming from a phone that could barely handle texts?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Rurutia posted:

Same here. First few days I was lucky to get 10 hours with light to moderate, yesterday I got 14 with heavy usage (was at Six Flags and played Game Prix Story and trivia games through the lines, and during the 3 hours of driving, with wifi, 3g, and bluetooth on).

I also run the screen pretty bright because damnit I like bright screens.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Unless you actively tell Sprint "Hey I left the company, you should start charging more" they extremely rarely audit accounts. Very rarely, so your discount would stay.

This is true. When I worked at CompUSA I got a special Nextel was running for retail employees: $10/mo for 1000 anytime minutes. I gave that phone to my sister and she used it for years, even after CompUSA had declared bankruptcy and Sprint bought Nextel. I was ready to kill her when she ported the number to Verizon without telling me first so I could try and keep the deal.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

You usually get about 18%-20% off the plan cost, aannddd maybe the phone's cheaper as well? I just paid 199 for the 3d on a 1 year contract when I did it through my school's plan for 18% off.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Same here. First few days I was lucky to get 10 hours with light to moderate, yesterday I got 14 with heavy usage (was at Six Flags and played Game Prix Story and trivia games through the lines, and during the 3 hours of driving, with wifi, 3g, and bluetooth on).

I also run the screen pretty bright because damnit I like bright screens.

please tell me you shot 3d video while on a ride?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How do I uninstall swype on the evo 3d? I wanted to get the newer version of the beta. Uninstall is not even listed on the application screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

TLG James posted:

How do I uninstall swype on the evo 3d? I wanted to get the newer version of the beta. Uninstall is not even listed on the application screen.

I don't think you can until Root is found.