Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

abuimak posted:

Sorry if I'm oblivious.

I'm trying to find a thread or somewhere on the forums about running a business. I "inherited" a clothing store from my pops and I've been doing things his way for years. His way isn't bad but I'm always looking for new ideas.

Even links outside the forums would be nice. Thanks.

We have a dedicate business forum. Try starting a thread there.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone know of a place I can find a fan with a glass stand/base?

Just something that goes on a table, not a standing fan.

I have a little Holmes fan http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Holmes-HAOF1616-16-inch-Glass-Base-Table-Fan/4121647/customer-reviews.html but everywhere I look this is sold out or things similar to it

but the motor burned out soon after we got it (secondhand) and I want something like this for my apartment.

If anyone has any leads or similar products they can suggest me, I'll be extremely happy

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does anyone know of a place I can find a fan with a glass stand/base?

Just something that goes on a table, not a standing fan.

I have a little Holmes fan http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Holmes-HAOF1616-16-inch-Glass-Base-Table-Fan/4121647/customer-reviews.html but everywhere I look this is sold out or things similar to it

but the motor burned out soon after we got it (secondhand) and I want something like this for my apartment.

If anyone has any leads or similar products they can suggest me, I'll be extremely happy

Assuming you are either Jimmy Buffet or a 90 year old Italian woman this should be right up your alley:

http://www.ivgstores.com/IVG2/Y/ProductID-129829-.htm?utm_medium=cse

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

Assuming you are either Jimmy Buffet or a 90 year old Italian woman this should be right up your alley:

http://www.ivgstores.com/IVG2/Y/ProductID-129829-.htm?utm_medium=cse

No that's ugly

I found this on amazon.co.uk but it wont let me ship it into the states :(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/30-Chrome-G...IN%3DB000NOPDH8

This is exactly what I want too...

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Super long shot, but does anyone know what the background music to this video is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C9d-UjxTzI

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I got a letter from my credit card company saying that I have to start paying an annual fee in a few months. I'm thinking about just cancelling it and buying a credit card that has some rewards with it. Any suggestions? What about the amazon.com Visa?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

maverick99 posted:

I got a letter from my credit card company saying that I have to start paying an annual fee in a few months. I'm thinking about just cancelling it and buying a credit card that has some rewards with it. Any suggestions? What about the amazon.com Visa?

What's a Credit Card with a good rewards system?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No that's ugly

I found this on amazon.co.uk but it wont let me ship it into the states :(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/30-Chrome-G...IN%3DB000NOPDH8

This is exactly what I want too...
How badly do you want it? These guys will ship it from the UK to you. $65 plus $200 shipping :v:
http://www.langtoninfo.com/showitem.aspx?isbn=5060134330126

Another source, not sure of shipping http://www.electricshopping.com/bionaire-baof30g-iuk-30cm-glass-desk-fan.html

edit: here it is in the US, from MacMall of all places: http://www.macmall.com/p/Bionaire-Appliances/product~dpno~7919597~pdp.fhfbjda

Apparently staples and lowes have it too.

edit2: for future reference I just googled: +glass +"desk fan" and the first 3 hits are spot on. At first I used google shopping (they should still call that 'froogle') and got the UK hits. Weirdish.

edit3: this looks like the cheapest, $30, but not sure of shipping.

maverick99 posted:

Buying a credit card? :raise:
Go here to choose the best one http://www.cardratings.com/

randyest fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 26, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

randyest posted:

How badly do you want it?

Not enough to pay $200 freaking dollars in shipping that's for sure.

As for the rest, I looked and neither staples or lowes have it either.

I have no idea where a macmall is (I've never heard of it before, Northeast here) but the site looks like it says it's not in stock either. I should call them up and see when it's available but not today.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I've just heard of Charliemaul.... why doesn't he have a SAclopedia entrance? Why does clicking on his post history not yield any info? Legal issues?

I'm just getting bits and pieces but whatever it is, the story sounds pretty bad...

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not enough to pay $200 freaking dollars in shipping that's for sure.

As for the rest, I looked and neither staples or lowes have it either.

I have no idea where a macmall is (I've never heard of it before, Northeast here) but the site looks like it says it's not in stock either. I should call them up and see when it's available but not today.
Macmall is an online retailer that specializes in Apple products. I know, :confused:. It has a very good reputation though.

Well at least you have the make and model number (Bionaire BTF1616TG-U) so google that and go through the 500 results till you find it. Better yet, call Bionaire ( 1-800-253-2764 ) and ask them where to buy it. They have a store, and it has the manual for that fan available for download, but no option to purchase it. It maybe discontinued (it is kind of a 70's/80's retro glass/chrome style that I assume you want to use to evaporate the sweat stains from the swinger's love-pit sofa you have in your basement) but they maybe able to tell you if anyone has it in stock. Or just try Febreeze v:shobon:v

Dawncloack posted:

I've just heard of Charliemaul.... why doesn't he have a SAclopedia entrance? Why does clicking on his post history not yield any info? Legal issues?

I'm just getting bits and pieces but whatever it is, the story sounds pretty bad...
You really don't want to go there as it is depressing, but google can help if you insist.

randyest fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 26, 2011

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Dawncloack posted:

He doesn't have an entrance simply because no one's made one, and has no visible post history because search doesn't go through the archives and all his posts have probably gone there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Neofelis posted:

Hey, would anyone happen to know or have an educated guess about the country in this photo?

I know this has come and gone, but I had a couple other notes to contribute --
the practice of painting tree trunks white (as seen around the cow) for visibility is not something that's done in North America, as far as I'm aware.

I couldn't place that SUV for the life of me. I thought it was a Ford Territory at first, but the tail lights and size don't really match. It doesn't look like something that's incredibly country specific, but you might have been able to get help narrowing it down by asking in AI about what model it was.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is there an extension for firefox which allows you to click on a link to an image and expands it on the page instead of taking you to the picture itself forcing you to either open a new tab or hit back after viewing? Also, is there one which allows you to zoom in images and grab it and move it around like the hand icon in photoshop allows you to do?

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there an extension for firefox which allows you to click on a link to an image and expands it on the page instead of taking you to the picture itself forcing you to either open a new tab or hit back after viewing? Also, is there one which allows you to zoom in images and grab it and move it around like the hand icon in photoshop allows you to do?

Thumbnail expander can do the first part,
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/thumbnail-expander/

(Warning, it ignores NSFW tags so be careful what you mouse over)

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Anyone know what "Tooth of Gong Gong" would be in Mandarin or Yue Chinese? It can be others, I don't know much about the differences but I am looking for one spoken around one of the big Dynasties.

Gong Gong is referring to the Chinese water serpent god Gong Gong if that helps.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Short of hacking away at it, is there a good way to get the crystals out of a bottle of Aftershock?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Can someone tell me how to tell the grape and licorice Jelly Belly candies apart? They seriously look exactly the same.

vvv They are a very dark purple though. Even when I juxtapose a bunch of purple/black ones I can barely tell them apart.
...Actually, it may just be the lighting in the house.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 27, 2011

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

Can someone tell me how to tell the grape and licorice Jelly Belly candies apart? They seriously look exactly the same.

The grapes are purple and the licorice are black. They don't look that much alike.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Midnight Moth posted:

vvv They are a very dark purple though. Even when I juxtapose a bunch of purple/black ones I can barely tell them apart.

Better lighting then, I guess. That or slightly crush them so the shell cracks a bit and flakes of color chip off?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Yeah, I think the lighting may be part of the problem. This place is poorly lit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

saberwulf posted:

Anyone know what "Tooth of Gong Gong" would be in Mandarin or Yue Chinese? It can be others, I don't know much about the differences but I am looking for one spoken around one of the big Dynasties.

Gong Gong is referring to the Chinese water serpent god Gong Gong if that helps.

Have you tried asking in the Mandarin thread?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2683932
People are fairly well read up there and might be able to help.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Robokomodo posted:

Short of hacking away at it, is there a good way to get the crystals out of a bottle of Aftershock?

Try filling the bottle with water and leaving it in the sun all day.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is the difference between the New Zealand and Australian accent?

I'm laying here watching New Zealands Next Top Model (shut up, it's 7am and summer holiday), and I can't tell any difference. Well, maybe it's a little "twangy", or maybe they're all peasants or something.

e: Oh, they don't get Tara mail, they get Sara mail :v:

e2: Ha, they were in LA and at the end they go "five of you will get to go back to the model house, but for one of you, the journey ends here" and then in the end of the episode, we see the rejected girl walking out carrying her suit cases. Was she just left in LA?! :ohdear:

brylcreem fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 27, 2011

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

saberwulf posted:

I'd go with 龔工之牙 (Gōnggōng zhī yá - Mandarin), if you want something that sounds a little formal, or could even pass as ancient.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

brylcreem posted:

Speaking as a New Zealander living abroad, here's my take:

The Australian accent is a lot more exaggerated and pronounced, while the NZ accent is quite "slack" in terms of vowels. The sort of cartoonish way of going from one to the other is that to speak with an Australian accent, force the corners of your mouth as far apart, Joker-smile style, as possible and talk while keeping them there, and for an NZ one, let your lower jaw drop and hang there while talking.

Granted, that's for the broader versions of both. The more educated accents both sort of converge on British from either side.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

TetsuoTW posted:

I'd go with 龔工之牙 (Gōnggōng zhī yá - Mandarin), if you want something that sounds a little formal, or could even pass as ancient.

Thanks! good that's in a formal tone, since the name is going to be on an important report tablet in a story I'm writing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

saberwulf posted:

Thanks! good that's in a formal tone, since the name is going to be on an important report tablet in a story I'm writing.
Actually, upon more thought, maybe 龔工之齒 (Gōnggōng zhī chǐ) might be a little better.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TetsuoTW posted:

Speaking as a New Zealander living abroad, here's my take:

Ha, cool. Thanks :)

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Still about Charliemaul

randyest posted:

You really don't want to go there as it is depressing, but google can help if you insist.
Thanks ma, but I googled it before asking. I only found the bits and pieces I mentioned. There's only a fyad thread.

And to the other poster, his post history says his las post was friday... And it's already archived? I'm confused :-/ not blaming anybody or anything, just saying.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

brylcreem posted:

The main thing is the vowels. It's a stereotype but New Zealanders tend to say the vowels in eg. 'fish and chips' as 'fush and chups', at least to a British ear. And the vowel in 'pen' is more like 'pin'.

Basically if someone's talking and you think 'whoa, that was a weird vowel' they're probably from NZ and not Aus :P

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

This is vaguely health related, but I'm thinking it belongs in here?

Basically everytime I go drinking, and drink a decent amount, I go through the following stages:

1) I get super loud and annoying
2) I get super tired
3) I pass out and fall asleep
4) After about 2 hours of sleep I wake up and sit in bed for hours and hours with my eyes wide open not able to go back to sleep. My mind is totally exhausted, my head generally hurts, but my body feels like I could run a marathon.

The gently caress? The first few steps are obviously normal but the last one boggles my mind. It's always been like this. I've always assumed it was because alcohol is a depressant, and my body over compensates for that, but this doesn't happen with anyone else I have ever talked to. I can get a normal night's sleep if I take 1 nyquil or something, but that seems like a terrible, awful idea to mix nyquil with alcohol.

My question is why does this happen, and how can I (safely) make sure it stops happening?

For reference I'm 27 years old, and way short. Like 5'4'' and ~105lbs. When I drink it's like 4-5 beers or so in a few hours.

Any help? Is there a better place for this question?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
From my untrained American ear, I hear a New Zelander saying "peen" and an Australian saying "pin" for the word pen. (Which I pronounce pehn).

The difference between the two accents are actually pretty distinct for me.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

aherdofpenguins posted:

Basically everytime I go drinking...

After about 2 hours of sleep I wake up and sit in bed for hours and hours with my eyes wide open not able to go back to sleep. My mind is totally exhausted, my head generally hurts, but my body feels like I could run a marathon.

The gently caress?

This happens to my wife, too. My theory: a hangover is essentially just mild dehydration, and for some people, insomnia is a dehydration symptom. Try to drink more water throughout the night and see if that helps. That's just a generally good idea, whether it helps the sleeplessness or not...

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

aherdofpenguins posted:

This is vaguely health related, but I'm thinking it belongs in here?

Basically everytime I go drinking, and drink a decent amount, I go through the following stages:

1) I get super loud and annoying
2) I get super tired
3) I pass out and fall asleep
4) After about 2 hours of sleep I wake up and sit in bed for hours and hours with my eyes wide open not able to go back to sleep. My mind is totally exhausted, my head generally hurts, but my body feels like I could run a marathon.

The gently caress? The first few steps are obviously normal but the last one boggles my mind. It's always been like this. I've always assumed it was because alcohol is a depressant, and my body over compensates for that, but this doesn't happen with anyone else I have ever talked to. I can get a normal night's sleep if I take 1 nyquil or something, but that seems like a terrible, awful idea to mix nyquil with alcohol.

My question is why does this happen, and how can I (safely) make sure it stops happening?

For reference I'm 27 years old, and way short. Like 5'4'' and ~105lbs. When I drink it's like 4-5 beers or so in a few hours.

Any help? Is there a better place for this question?

Alcohol turns to sugar in your body and the sugar rush wakes you up. This happens to me sometimes if I drink a lot more than that; you might be more sensitive to the effects of sugar than most.

You could try to drink a shitload of water. Some people always drink a lot of water and take a pain-reliever BUT all pain medicine, as far as I know, has some reason to not mix it with alcohol. Ibuprofen attacks your liver or something and aspirin thins your blood.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Say a mutual fund says "Initial investment: $500. Subsequent investment: $50." (This is on etrade, if it makes a difference)
I get that my first purchase has to be at least $500. But does the subsequent mean I have to put in $50 more every...year? Or what? And what happens if I don't?

And if I tell etrade to automatically keep gains within the mutual fund, and the fund makes $50 in a year, does that count as the $50? Or do I need to put in an external $50?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Say a mutual fund says "Initial investment: $500. Subsequent investment: $50." (This is on etrade, if it makes a difference)
I get that my first purchase has to be at least $500. But does the subsequent mean I have to put in $50 more every...year? Or what? And what happens if I don't?

And if I tell etrade to automatically keep gains within the mutual fund, and the fund makes $50 in a year, does that count as the $50? Or do I need to put in an external $50?

Can you link to the specific prospectus/account details? It sounds to me like any reinvestment would have to be at least $50, though you would not be obligated to do so. I think that obviates your second question too. (PS use Vanguard)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Can you link to the specific prospectus/account details? It sounds to me like any reinvestment would have to be at least $50, though you would not be obligated to do so. I think that obviates your second question too. (PS use Vanguard)

Parnassus Fund
What is better about vanguard? I'll consider switching. I'm really just doing a long-term IRA, though, so there will not be a ton of transactions.

And before anyone comments on the kinda high expense ratio of that fund, a disclaimer: I am limiting myself to "socially responsible" investing because for social reasons I reluctant about investing at all in the first place, and yes those funds have a higher expense ratio usually and don't do awesomely but that's what I want to do. People on the business/finance forum have already tried to convince me otherwise.

Anyway thanks for helping, it's surprisingly hard to find help on really simple questions to these kinds of things. Everything I read assumes you know the first thing about investing and at least some of the acronyms.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

Yesterday I was hiking through the forest when I found an odd-looking plant. It looked almost identical to asparagus except it was a deep reddish pink color, with yellow leaf-type things up the stalk, and a yellow tip. It was also really sticky with white fuzz all over it. There were three stalks sticking up out of the ground.

Anyone have any clue what it might be? Google hasn't given me any answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if there's a breakdown of how they got the data in this study somewhere? Specifically what questions they asked and so forth. http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2011.pdf