Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Thanks, that one is small softbox high up camera left for the hair, large one camera right pointed more at her cheek rather than directly facing her, because no need to light what you can't see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
I've been trying to learn how to use my speedlite and my ettl cable finally came, so this is the first time I've been able to take my 430ex ii off my camera. This aren't really staged , but I wanted to test it out and my mom was willing to be my subject :3 Criticism would be really helpful!

Hi-speed sync test 4 by Jenseales, on Flickr

Hi-speed sync test 5 by Jenseales, on Flickr

Hi-speed sync test 2 by Jenseales, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Gazmachine posted:

:words:

Just wondering firstly what your skin smoothing technique is and secondly how that semi-monochromatic look is achieved? Do you shot against a white background, desaturate then overlay a color? I can see that working for 1 and 4 but 2 and 3 are white so I don't think that'd work.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

XTimmy posted:

Just wondering firstly what your skin smoothing technique is and secondly how that semi-monochromatic look is achieved? Do you shot against a white background, desaturate then overlay a color? I can see that working for 1 and 4 but 2 and 3 are white so I don't think that'd work.

I'd imagine he uses RGB curves to some extent to achieve that color effect.

Skin retouching looks like good d&b work as you can still see a lot of detail left.

OJ.SImpson
Jan 20, 2001

I've been meaning to post in here for...ever. So time to not be lazy, here's some images I shot recently.

A friend of mine recently found out he has terminal brain cancer with a very short time left before he passes on. Hearing that, he has decided to drop everything and persue his goal of moving to New York and getting into male modeling. I jumped at the opportunity to help out so i volunteered to shoot some shots for him to show to some agencies. This is the first time i have shot anything like this, but i feel the outcome was pretty solid. I'm very happy and proud to say that he is now in New York, signed with an agency, has done shoots for Vogue Knitting (yes there is a vogue knitting)and Ralph Lauren. He just called me not long ago saying he was asked to go to Milan for a few weeks.

CKB_9034-2 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

CKB_8865 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

CKB_8819 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

Shot a few images for a songwriter friend of mine:

CKB_1878-2 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

CKB_1853-2 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

Did a shoot for a few yogis.

2 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

3 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

And finally, recently me and my gf went on vacation. I decided to pack a couple flashes and take some portaits while we were there.

CKB_3699-2 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

CKB_3636 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Nice work. Cool story about your friend.

Edit: Had a buddy come home from the doc in 2006 after a bout with cancer. He basically asked the doc if he'd make it in the event it came back. Doc said, "Nope." So my buddy decided he wasn't gonna go back to the Doc anyway. He'd always wanted to be in a band and go on tour. 5 years later, he owns a tour bus, is working on releasing album number 2 and has played several shows at the house of blues here in town. He's opened for Keith Urban at one point and when the cancer did come back and slow him down, a drug company sponsored him for a trial drug that appears to be working.

In some ways, I'd love a kick in the rear end to get after my dreams like that. Hopefully, I'm moving in those directions now, but a bit more slowly.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 26, 2011

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

OJ.SImpson posted:

CKB_9034-2 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

CKB_8819 by ChristopherKasey, on Flickr

These two are really quite incredible.

Gridded softbox camera left high on #1?

Two gridded bare bulbs camera left and right, snooted background, and... gridded SB for key light?

Really nice there.

Just another headshot for a friend. I've decided to sell a lens or two for more lights, two is not enough for me right now.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 28, 2011

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

XTimmy posted:

Lightroom, my friend, Lightroom is the business. You're basically right - for #4 in particular, I've gone from monochrome and sort of painted the colours back in. I used a fairly heavy desat and there is a yellowy split toning involved.

For my sharpening and skin retouching methods, I got it from this post on model mayhem a couple of years ago. It's amazing.

Then I use the low pass layer to use a very low opacity clone stamp (usually set to lighten for high key fashiony stuff, just a personal preference) to even out the skin tones.

OJ.SImpson
Jan 20, 2001

Oprah Haza posted:

These two are really quite incredible.

Gridded softbox camera left high on #1?

Two gridded bare bulbs camera left and right, snooted background, and... gridded SB for key light?

Really nice there.

Thanks a lot.

You Got both lighting setups completely right, really good eye.

quote:

In some ways, I'd love a kick in the rear end to get after my dreams like that. Hopefully, I'm moving in those directions now, but a bit more slowly.

Me too, i feel like if i did not have the fear of rejection/failure in me I would be working a lot harder at my photography, getting out there, and growing. I really need to grow a pair and just push.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

OJ.SImpson posted:

Me too, i feel like if i did not have the fear of rejection/failure in me I would be working a lot harder at my photography, getting out there, and growing. I really need to grow a pair and just push.

You've got some skills, I have no doubt you would do well in whichever market you land in. Where are you located?

OJ.SImpson
Jan 20, 2001

Orange County California, which is not a bad place to start out. It isnt too far from LA in case things get really serious, but for the time being i have to keep focusing on putting one foot in front of the other.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Did my first OCF shoot yesterday:

Go go, brick wall.

It was encouraging to see the flash behave in the way that I expected it to. A lot of my shots were a bit soft, however, due to my left eye not being totally clear yet. :(

grayscale
Feb 27, 2009

Turd Nelson posted:

I've been trying to learn how to use my speedlite and my ettl cable finally came, so this is the first time I've been able to take my 430ex ii off my camera. This aren't really staged , but I wanted to test it out and my mom was willing to be my subject :3 Criticism would be really helpful!

Hi-speed sync test 4 by Jenseales, on Flickr

Hi-speed sync test 5 by Jenseales, on Flickr

Hi-speed sync test 2 by Jenseales, on Flickr

First thing I notice that seems obvious: I can't think of any reason whatsoever why you would need to use such a fast shutter speed for these. I mean, I get that you are testing your high-speed flash sync, so whatever. But there's no reason to purposefully lose nearly all detail in the background on these. Especially in the first one, where her head is being consumed by the darkness.

In the second one, she's smiling and everything, but it doesn't come off to me like a happy or fun picture in the least. Again, the background is underexposed, and its pretty cluttered and uninteresting. On the third one I have the same to say as for the first. Plus her head is intersecting with the break in the trees.

I've never hosed with (or had a need to gently caress with) high-speed flash sync, so maybe I'm totally wrong or something. Maybe this is the result you were aiming for, I don't know.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Elite Taco posted:

Did my first OCF shoot yesterday:

Go go, brick wall.

It was encouraging to see the flash behave in the way that I expected it to. A lot of my shots were a bit soft, however, due to my left eye not being totally clear yet. :(
Nicely done, but you'll probably want to airbrush that vein on her forehead a bit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elite Taco posted:

Go go, brick wall.

The forehead vein is one thing, and also you should try not to have your light accentuate the shadow righ under her eyes.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Shot a friend's band. It was my first time doing this sort of thing but luckily all the guys in the band were more than happy to ham it up for the camera:

Their Facebook page is here.

psylent fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 29, 2011

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

psylent posted:

Shot a friend's band. It was my first time doing this sort of thing but luckily all the guys in the band were more than happy to ham it up for the camera:

Their Facebook page is here.

I don't know why, but I like the one out in the street way more than anything you shot on white. It just seems to have the better light. However, the one guy is just a floating head, so that's no good. Do you have more of them on the street where you can see everyone's body?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

The forehead vein is one thing, and also you should try not to have your light accentuate the shadow righ under her eyes.

Thanks for the feedback. How do you suggest I resolve that? Another light? Or drop the angle of the current light a bit? I'll have to mess around with that for this particular subject.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
This is almost all of my June portraits.

So far I really like working with little kids.

Best clients ever.

Local app developers and first commercial gig I got to wear a t-shirt to shoot in, I need more of these.

Then an Opera Singer

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Couple from this weekends shoot.

Felicity in the park. by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Had a hard time deciding on which to publish, seeing as I had a lot that were very similar as I was too attached to the shoot (i.e. I was there) to judge objectively.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Cyberbob posted:

Couple from this weekends shoot.

Her pose in this one is not nearly dynamic enough, and neither is your composition. She should be getting way more bendy and your comp should be taking advantage of it.
Her stance is all biased upward, and her eyes create a line that follows the pattern. Well, it's not working... next time, try having her look AWAY (down/right instead of up/left) from the motion being implied by her body. It creates way more visual drama. It stands out in this shot moreso because of the aforementioned lack of interesting posing.

Also, watch cropping at joints (ankle). It looks really awkward.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

McMadCow posted:

Her pose in this one is not nearly dynamic enough, and neither is your composition. She should be getting way more bendy and your comp should be taking advantage of it.
Her stance is all biased upward, and her eyes create a line that follows the pattern. Well, it's not working... next time, try having her look AWAY (down/right instead of up/left) from the motion being implied by her body. It creates way more visual drama. It stands out in this shot moreso because of the aforementioned lack of interesting posing.

Also, watch cropping at joints (ankle). It looks really awkward.

Thanks very much for the feedback, it's appreciated.

For what it's worth, these were the four similar shots that I had to choose from. The one I posted was the models favourite.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'd pull the green saturation back or maybe shift it yellow a bit, the grass is taking my focus away from the model.

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

This is almost all of my June portraits.

So far I really like working with little kids.

Exact opposite for me, I used to shoot kids pretty much every session I had, now getting back into it I realize I absolutely haaate it. They never hold still, or the babies are too tired to smile, or the little kids get cranky, or somebody gets peed on. I'll photograph kids, and I'm fairly decent at it, but it's too stressful on the bad occasions for what it is worth.

Nope, only still adults for me from now on!

Portrait of my husband, posted it in PAD as well and they said to try and lighten the underexposed areas so I did. Two speedlights, in hindsight would have used a reflector to light up underneath the ATV.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I know everyone's down on Portrait Professional due to the real doll-like stuff they advertise with, but I gave it a try and it's not actually that bad if you turn the sliders way down. These are all pretty much straight out of camera and thrown into PP - about 10 mins work total. I'm trying to get a bit more work doing corporate headshots (boring but easy money) and this is making my life a lot easier.

It's on sale for $40 so it wasn't a hard decision.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Did a test shoot with a friend tonight (he usually assists me). Please excuse the watermarks, it's late and I don't really care to upload multiple copies.

link to blog if you care: http://blog.jyiphoto.com/blog/

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 8, 2011

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Oprah Haza posted:

Did a test shoot with a friend tonight (he usually assists me). Please excuse the watermarks, it's late and I don't really care to upload multiple copies.

I think it may be my crap laptop screen, but each of these pictures seems to be underexposed.
I like the posing though, particularly the first one.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Oprah Haza posted:

I think these are great except the last when where you lose all definition with the bleach effect.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
The first is the best, it's a great pose. Tells me he plays guitar and is clean to look at. The rest don't really look as great in comparison. I'm not a fan of the processing on the last one.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Yes the first one. Nice pose, the foot in front of the other does wonders.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
First one is a really great pose! Not a fan of the others, though.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad the first one worked - that was the pose where I physically manipulated him into so it's good that it's getting a good response. I wanted him to sling the guitar behind his back on the second one but he forgot his strap, I think it would've added a bit to it.

You'll be seeing a lot more of that stool!

I was actually anticipating people pointing out the wrinkled seamless where the stool/his feel were pushing into the carpet but I'm glad it's not too detracting/noticeable.

Any input on the light?

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
Two more from today - about to hit the bar but wanted to get some input. Another model just starting out, did a lot of coaching with him. Thanks in advance!

Perhaps this one is a tad too dark?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
That's racist.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Oprah Haza posted:

Two more from today - about to hit the bar but wanted to get some input. Another model just starting out, did a lot of coaching with him. Thanks in advance!

Perhaps this one is a tad too dark?

I like the lighting in these two but his expression doesn't seem complete in either. The black shirt in the first frame should fit him better. It looks a bit big on him, you should clip it in the back. How did you light these two? There's great definition on his muscles in the second.

psylent posted:

I know everyone's down on Portrait Professional due to the real doll-like stuff they advertise with, but I gave it a try and it's not actually that bad if you turn the sliders way down. These are all pretty much straight out of camera and thrown into PP - about 10 mins work total. I'm trying to get a bit more work doing corporate headshots (boring but easy money) and this is making my life a lot easier.

It's on sale for $40 so it wasn't a hard decision.

I just bought this on your recommendation, and yea, if you use common sense, then it's perfect for $40. As you can see below, more corporate photography!

Visitor K
Jan 26, 2007
Hi! First time posting here. I just got a couple of speedlights and thought I'd try some protraits. I started with my friends, of course :). It was a really fun experience. It was my first time too, any critique would be much apreciated!

Lucas by diego basualto, on Flickr

Damian by diego basualto, on Flickr

La Lety by diego basualto, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Get more light on to those eyes!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Had some friends over for dinner, they're about to fly home to the UK to get married so I set up a quick shot.

Reflective umbrella on camera right, big white reflector on the left. Bit of split toning/level adjustment in Lightroom.

psylent fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 12, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I had a recent test published as a webitorial

Can't really share too much stuff on forums anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

I had a recent test published as a webitorial

Can't really share too much stuff on forums anymore!

The modeling agency let the magazine publish a test? Congrats, by the way!