Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH
Cross posted from June PAD.

These are some photos I took at a recent JYJ concert in San Jose for allkpop. You can check out the full gallery here: http://www.allkpop.com/photos/2011/JyjTourSJ/ The lower angle shots are mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
So recently I got a hold of Jeremy Colwart's "LifeFinder" DVD (so far it's pretty bad compared to Joey L's). At any rate he goes through his work flow a bit, using a band promo shoot as an example. In his explanations he casually mentions that he "used 24 different set-ups, which is pretty par the course". That got me wondering how most people approach band shoots, so I figured I'd open up the question.

Typically when I shoot a promo shoot I aim to shoot the band the hour before golden hour, the hour of golden hour, and maybe a few minutes after the sun sets if we've got a good location in the dark. All in all I try to aim for 2-4 locations that have a variety of slightly different backdrops and areas. I've never counted my set-ups but I imagine I probably only do about 10 different "set-ups" though most of them are pretty similar unlike Colwart who does 24 ridiculously different looks (all the shots he showed were in the studio if that makes a difference).

He didn't get into what he charged for this, but I can only speculate it goes into the thousands of dollars.

So on that note I'm curious as to how you guys approach a promo shoot, do you offer different packages, or just give everyone a "one size fits all"?

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
I had good lighting for a change last night:

Afgan Raiders by atmz, on Flickr

Afgan Raiders by atmz, on Flickr

What do you guys feel is the 'best' size for a set of concert photos? I've been varying it from 10-30 depending on how many I have, but I'm worried that 30 is a bit too many, especially if they're repetitive.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

TMZ posted:

What do you guys feel is the 'best' size for a set of concert photos? I've been varying it from 10-30 depending on how many I have, but I'm worried that 30 is a bit too many, especially if they're repetitive.

Quality over quantity. I'd rather use the slightly off focus/slightly motion blurred photo of a singer jumping into a pit, or off of the drum riser than the umpteenth shot of him standing in front of the microphone that every photographer can get. My usual output is about 10-50 (with a good show).

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

TMZ posted:

Depends. If it's a "This might be your only shot" I'll shoot too many and end up posting ~150 (Like I did for The Dillinger Escape Plan and Darkest hour) though I shot close to 500 for Darkest Hour (they had good lights) and ~1,200 for Dillinger (They were in pitch black with random strobes firing most of the show). Regular locals run the gambit from 3 (If I don't give a poo poo) to 100 (if they're my friends).

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
Don't think I've posted in this thread yet... I haven't ever shot much live stuff except for dubstep or electro shows, but recently I was asked by a local arts and culture mag I freelance for to shoot a 12 week series on different shows going on in Calgary.

I'll post a few, and the whole set.

I'd love to hear some feedback! (Besides the fact that my watermark sucks)

Black Rabbit by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Sandman Viper Command by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Hollerado by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

edit:

Abnegatus posted:

Gravehill 1277 II by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gravehill 1029 I by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gravehill 0958 I by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gravehill 1158 crop I by Abnegātus, on Flickr

A Wizard posted:

gently caress, I'm jealous of these. I could totally see any of this stuff in that one section in Spin.

Hot Cops fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 13, 2011

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Hot Cops posted:

Hollerado by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Cool shot, but I think it'd look better in black & white.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
So, I just got word my rookie effort of a music video is going to be getting some national play.

Oh no.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Mother loving Greg Brady singing the anthem.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Eeek posted:

Mother loving Greg Brady singing the anthem.
Punch him up a stop and throw some Topaz on that bitch, he's got the face for it :cool:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Local band that I'm heading out on national tour with. They're called DZ Deathrays, and they're loving awesome. Think DFA1979 with more layers.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I, Butthole, you know who I am :)

First real time shooting bands and here's what I got.

550D with Sigma 10-20mm and 55-250mm mostly. High school, organized competition with some of my mates in. The last shots are of Recommended By Your Mom (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Recommended-By-Your-Mom/278441107564), a pop-punk band touring with the setup. For some reason the sound and lighting was best then and consequently I managed to get some of my best shots IMO.

IMG_5690-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_5695-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_5785-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_5813-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_5854-Edit-2-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_5869-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6015-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_5888-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_5879-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6076-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6082-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6083-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6098-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6141-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6177-Edit-2-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6180-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6194-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6206-Edit-2-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6218-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6253-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6264-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6267-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6310-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6357-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6433-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6453-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6496-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6514-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMG_6525-Edit-Edit by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

My school principal asked that if I get any really good ones to hand it/them in for the front page of the latest magazine/newsletter that goes to print Tuesday. Because the band in shot #6253 won the comp and the girl won best instrumentalist, I was thinking of having this one, or else arranging something for them based around 2 or 3 photos. What is your opinion dorkroom? PS, the newsletter is A4 and color gloss, if that helps.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
You got some good shots, but please limit posts to 6 photos. You can link to the full gallery afterwards. I like 6206 the best.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
drat, sorry guys, forgot in my eagerness.

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
I took my 17-40 f/4 to a gig this week to see; it was pretty fun, but I probably get more use out of a 50 mm, f/4 is a bit too slow. I've almost entirely been using primes for the past year or so, so it's fun being able to zoom:

17-40:

Clare Maguire by atmz, on Flickr

Alpines by atmz, on Flickr

50mm :

Auditore, those are really good for your first try, especially with a fairly slow lens. I prefer 6218 to 6253 though, personally - it shows less of the band but her expression is better, although the hotspot next to her might be an issue.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

pr0digal posted:

Well I'm back in the Maryland/DC area and I'm itching to shoot more shows down here.

How do you guys keep updated on what shows are coming to your area? Just keep checking the web for tour announcements?

http://www.songkick.com/

Thank me later!

They have an iPhone app too. It's loving amazing - I can't believe how awesome it is. I actually prefer the app to the site.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 26, 2011

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Auditore posted:

drat, sorry guys, forgot in my eagerness.

Pretty impressive for a 550D, I'll say that though.

Also, there are going to be a ton of kids with a new Facebook profile picture.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
Got to shoot some crazy, crazy awesome bands for a festival in town. Whole sets here, if anyone's interested.

Hunx and his Punx by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Man Man by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Man Man by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Dum Dum Girls by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

The Luyas by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Braids by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Hot Cops posted:

I like how intimate this one feels, what focal length was this shot at?

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I like how intimate this one feels, what focal length was this shot at?

Thanks dude! It was a really lucky hail mary with my 35 1.4.

edit: nope, upon checking, I lied. This was with my 50.

SwiftTheFox
Jun 2, 2007

Prince Hotbod, at your service.

Hot Cops posted:

The Luyas by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr
I saw them a few months ago in Baton Rouge, LA.

TheLuyas08 by SwiftTheFox, on Flickr

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

SwiftTheFox posted:

Awesome.

They're a great band to shoot - I fall in love with the singer every time and the lightbulb thingy they do is pretty cool, too.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Hot Cops posted:

edit:

gently caress, I'm jealous of these. I could totally see any of this stuff in that one section in Spin.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Does anyone have any advice for scoring photo-passes to shows? I've tried getting unpaid wortk with a few webzines in southern California, but nothing has come from it. Every time I call a venue they put me into the "you can contact the band manager here at xxx-xxx-xxxx" and, of course, I can never get a pass unless I work for a place.

SwiftTheFox posted:

What on earth is that instrument!?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Abnegatus posted:

Thanks for the kind words :)

Does anyone have any advice for scoring photo-passes to shows? I've tried getting unpaid wortk with a few webzines in southern California, but nothing has come from it. Every time I call a venue they put me into the "you can contact the band manager here at xxx-xxx-xxxx" and, of course, I can never get a pass unless I work for a place.

Try PR Companies. It takes a long to find them, but if you can find the person who does the band's PR often times they'll get you in. Also, stop going after web-zines and go after actual print zines, there's at least 5 in Omaha, there's gotta be hundreds in California.

I've also had success directly contacting the band. I asked Greg Puciato (of The Dillinger Escape Plan) on his facebook fan page that he actively uses and he got me in on the band's guest list. (Side note: DEP is incredibly nice, and they love photographers (and they make for incredible pictures). They let me shoot the whole show from the pit, and even said people could use flash).

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Will definitely look into what you said, thanks for the advice.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Try to time your shots so you don't end up with microphone-eating photos. At one point or another, they'll get some separation between face and microphone. Either that or move to the the side to get a little more of a profile shot.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Posted a similar shot in SAD, but thought I'd throw one in here too:

It's my first attempt at this sort of thing and I've still got a bunch more to get work my way through, but I like this one.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

psylent posted:

Posted a similar shot in SAD, but thought I'd throw one in here too:

It's my first attempt at this sort of thing and I've still got a bunch more to get work my way through, but I like this one.

It feels a bit under to me... boost the exposure a bit and you have a shot like 80% of what Spin runs.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Oprah Haza posted:

http://www.songkick.com/

Thank me later!

They have an iPhone app too. It's loving amazing - I can't believe how awesome it is. I actually prefer the app to the site.

You are awesome. I am so stoked to get a car soon. That means I can start shooting shows again

*edit* holy poo poo their database is something else

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 28, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Hot Cops posted:

It feels a bit under to me... boost the exposure a bit and you have a shot like 80% of what Spin runs.
Yeah the whites aren't quite as white as they can be, but when I up the exposure it starts looking... wrong. I'll keep playing around with it. :)

SwiftTheFox
Jun 2, 2007

Prince Hotbod, at your service.

Abnegatus posted:

It's called a moodswinger.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moodswinger
Here is a song that uses it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNneWC3jBdA

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

psylent posted:

Yeah the whites aren't quite as white as they can be, but when I up the exposure it starts looking... wrong. I'll keep playing around with it. :)

I think the general policy with alchohol in photos is that you don't show the label. Minor detail to keep an eye out for in the future.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

psylent posted:

I ran into the exact same problem when I shot food on a white seamless. It got better when I was able the light the background independently of the subject. At first I was using one light, but it made by background too grey in comparison to a properly exposed subject. When I added two lights pointed at the seamless on each side, plus a third light on the subject, it kind of fixed it, but I was getting to much spill. Next time I gotta grid that poo poo I think.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Question about concert photography:

It seems like a lot of concert photographers use B&W film because of the detail you can get in low-light situations - and I know color film can give some pretty ugly noise in low-light. Are there any tips or film recommendations for color film concert photography? I'm talking about small low-light venues, not huge amphitheaters or anything like that.

If I need to take this to the film thread instead, I can. Just thought I'd try here first.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

QPZIL posted:

Question about concert photography:

It seems like a lot of concert photographers use B&W film because of the detail you can get in low-light situations - and I know color film can give some pretty ugly noise in low-light. Are there any tips or film recommendations for color film concert photography? I'm talking about small low-light venues, not huge amphitheaters or anything like that.

If I need to take this to the film thread instead, I can. Just thought I'd try here first.

I wouldn't bother with colour film if I were you. Plain old black and white 400 film is easy to push to 1600 or 3200 at home but colour film either requires buying expensive high speed film, paying for push processing at a lab or underexposing and hoping everything turns out okay which might work in a daylight situation but I'd be very doubtful about it in a club or bar concert situation where it's all about the shadow detail.

To be honest, I don't get very much of a reaction to colour film photography as opposed to black and white. People go bonkers over black and white.

Kalveth
Jan 19, 2006
SRM: Yoda knows
I had a blast at a local variety show in Manhattan last night. The stage lights were a bitch to deal with in post though since they were a mix of blue and red. I'm not entirely happy with the overall red tint but I figure I'll play around with the lightroom settings more later.

Great Caesar 3 by royboy_inc, on Flickr

Great Caesar 14 by royboy_inc, on Flickr

The band is Great Caesar, I think the sax player is a goon and they were the original reason I went to the show. They were the house band that night.

Delilah Dix 2 by royboy_inc, on Flickr

Presenting Delilah Dix. I hope that wasn't real liquor in that bottle, the way she was swigging out of it :v:. There were a bunch of other acts and the full set is up on my flickr.

Kalveth fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 8, 2011

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Here's another video I helped make. So catchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-giypJQhlUY

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I ran into the exact same problem when I shot food on a white seamless. It got better when I was able the light the background independently of the subject. At first I was using one light, but it made by background too grey in comparison to a properly exposed subject. When I added two lights pointed at the seamless on each side, plus a third light on the subject, it kind of fixed it, but I was getting to much spill. Next time I gotta grid that poo poo I think.
Managed to fix it (mostly) with some editing in Lightroom on the individual portraits - they're still works in progress though:

psylent fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 4, 2011

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Hoping this post pushes a new page so I can read a new post without that post with sixty thousand loving photos loading from Flickr.

Lordy lord do I enjoy shooting at f4-f5.6. Doesn't happen often but when it does...hnngh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Well I finally decided to go for a Warped photo pass. I did not make the same mistake I made last year (I can't believe it's already been a year) with the long flowing e-mail which put MSO PR right off and instead sent a short one asking for the application. I'm expecting a much better response this time then the clusterfuck I caused last time.

Who else is shooting Warped?

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 6, 2011