Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

Wow, that's pretty lousy for people with phones that won't let you unlock the bootloader. You reboot the phone and what, your custom OS and apps are gone? Or you just can't add new stuff or something?

You'd just lose root every time you reboot. Most temporary roots are pretty painless though. You wouldn't be able to use a custom ROM since you wouldn't be able to load a custom recovery in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Godzilla07 posted:

You'd just lose root every time you reboot. Most temporary roots are pretty painless though. You wouldn't be able to use a custom ROM since you wouldn't be able to load a custom recovery in the first place.

I know I'm gonna sound like some lazy schmuck who didn't do his research (I have 20 XDA tabs opened right now trying to take it all in) but what exactly is the point of rooting if you can't load a custom ROM? I thought the whole point of rooting was to get rid of all the bloat or use ROMs you aren't supposed to?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Hamburglar posted:

Wow, that's pretty lousy for people with phones that won't let you unlock the bootloader. You reboot the phone and what, your custom OS and apps are gone? Or you just can't add new stuff or something?

Does anyone know what the easiest/most current way to unlock the bootloader of the Thunderbolt is?

Root is the equivalent of granting admin access over your phone. You can not replace the OS with only root on a bootlocked phone. However whilst rooted you could delete, replace or otherwise alter files within the locked areas. So you could probably add a theme or whatever. When you restart the device, you would revert back to a standard user account and the root (admin) only directories, such as /system which holds the OS and stuff will no longer be able to be edited. However any changes you made whilst you had access will stay. So yes you can add themes and delete bloatware with only a temporary root.

EDIT: Root is required for rom manager to work and is normally (but not always) a prerequisite to changing the rom on the device.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 27, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks a lot for the clarification. Makes perfect sense, now. :)

I guess the only thing is that supposedly Thunderbolt is getting 2.3 in like 3 days, so it would be pretty stupid for me to root, unlock, and flash now, correct? Because in the WinMo 6.5 days, flashing your phone was a loving nightmare. New version of MightyROM updated 2 days after you installed it? Hope you like wiping your phone clean and reinstalling every piece of software again.

Unless of course there's actually an "update ROM" button, which would be amazing, but I doubt it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hamburglar posted:

Unless of course there's actually an "update ROM" button, which would be amazing, but I doubt it.

There basically is between ROM Manager and the similar customized apps some ROM devs include. The only time you need to wipe is when making major changes to your ROM, like going from a Sense ROM to a non-Sense ROM on a HTC device (for example I went from rooted stock to Fresh without a wipe, also CM6 to CM7, but Fresh to CM6 required one). Even then, with either custom recovery you can back everything up and revert to the backup in about five minutes if you don't like it.

Once you root, stop caring about official ROM releases. They do not matter anymore other than as a sign that a rooted version will likely be available from someone on XDA within a few hours. In all likelihood if a device has an unlocked bootloader anything that's "new" in the official update would already have been available through third parties for months.

For this specific scenario you root, unlock, and flash now. If you are still running stock or a stock-based ROM when the update comes out and are interested in it, you wait a few hours until someone releases a rooted version. You take a nandroid backup in case something goes wrong and then flash the rooted version of the update. The phone reboots and you have the update rooted and ready to go.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 27, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you x1000. I guess the only thing I would like to know is if anyone has a custom ROM for the Thunderbolt they prefer? I see BAMF having the most replies on XDA, but I'm not sure if that means anything. In my WinMo 6.x days, there would be like 9 different guys working on custom ROMs for any given phone, and it was near impossible to tell which was best.

(Best for me of course being no bloat-ware, no flashy RAM-hogging fancy cloud graphics on my home screen, good battery life, and undetectable wifi tethering).

Edit: And what's all this "I have MR1/MR2" stuff I keep reading about?.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 27, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hamburglar posted:

Wow, that's pretty lousy for people with phones that won't let you unlock the bootloader. You reboot the phone and what, your custom OS and apps are gone?
It hasn't been much of an issue on Motorola devices as they've never had NAND locks (to my knowledge). Probably the longest it's been an issue on a given device was the G2/Desire Z, where root exploits always worked but it was a few months before the NAND lock was defeated.

Also, attempting to replace things in /system with the NAND lock in place, even temporarily, is totally sketchy as things "revert" as soon as dirty pages are purged from the page cache. This is why folks thought the G2 had a "rootkit" and poo poo, even though that makes no sense.

Hamburglar posted:

but what exactly is the point of rooting if you can't load a custom ROM?
Tether, if your phone is crippled from doing it (for free) out of the box; backup app data; enabling sideloading, on AT&T devices where it's blocked; running AD Block or DroidWall, to keep nebby-nosed games from phoning home :tinfoil:.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hamburglar posted:

Those are the versions of the radio firmware (that actually runs the 3G/4G modem into the device).

I bought a TB a couple days ago myself and I'm hard pressed to figure out what all the acronyms and slang people are using on XDA and the like. It seems more complicated than my old Nexus One where you could just use fastboot to push down whatever you like.

I am also hesitant to put any third party ROM on my TB at present because I keep reading stuff about particular radio versions that are buggy, or were leaked from some stolen Gingerbread release and will brick the phone, or whatever. They also say that certain 3rd party ROMs require different radio releases than what my phone came with, though, so I can't tell what's safe to flash and what isn't.

On the other hand though I'm worried if I wait until an official GB release, whatever root holes will be patched up and you can't go forward unless HTC decides to bundle a bootloader unlock with the OTA like Motorola is supposedly doing to the Atrix.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

teamdest posted:

1) HTC android phones have a locked bootloader and NAND flash memory (primary effect: you can't load custom roms even if you are rooted, because the place they are stored is read-only). This is unlockable on the Thunderbolt though I do not know the specifics. This is not the same as rooting, which can usually be accomplished without unlocking the NAND, but the root will not stick.

2) roms for HTC phones are largely classified as "Sense" or "AOSP" depending on whether they are based off of Google's source code or HTC's OS release. On the Evo, at least, you can have 4g on AOSP roms, but I don't know the specifics of that, and Sprint's 4g is not the same as Verizon's.

3) usually, yes, the radio doesn't need to be updated. it is *EXCEEDINGLY* rare to see a non-official radio release, usually the only people updating the radios are the OEM and carriers. Flashing radios can be dangerous because the radio is very low level and, on HTC android phones at least, tied to several other subcomponents that may leave you with an unrecoverable phone if the radio flash fails. The primary effect of updating your radio would be improved reception or battery life.

4) your order of operations is roughly: Root/Unlock, Download Rom Manager, Flash Recovery (happens within RM), create a nandroid backup (starts from within RM), Choose a Rom, Flash Rom.

Thunderbolt

1) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=996616

2) The DAS BAMF Gingerbread remix roms are awesome

3) Any gingerbread ROM on a thunderbolt will require a radio flash

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 27, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

to keep nebby-nosed games from phoning home :tinfoil:.

Had I been drinking milk, it would have come out my nose. Not sure why either.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Hamburglar posted:

MR1 is the current, upgraded radio. MR2 is a GB-compatible radio that was leaked. MR2.5 is an even more recent leaked radio that causes bootloops for many people. I am running MR2 because it seemed to give me slightly better battery life and decreased my GPS lock time from over 5 minutes to under 10 seconds.

kitten smoothie posted:

They also say that certain 3rd party ROMs require different radio releases than what my phone came with, though, so I can't tell what's safe to flash and what isn't.

Non-GB roms are OK with official radios. Newer rom development has become based on GB so it requires a GB radio.

kitten smoothie posted:

On the other hand though I'm worried if I wait until an official GB release, whatever root holes will be patched up and you can't go forward unless HTC decides to bundle a bootloader unlock with the OTA like Motorola is supposedly doing to the Atrix.

As mentioned, any official release will be rooted and uploaded by someone so you can flash it without losing root. You will just need to check the MD5 on the radio and ROM to make sure they are OK.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Has anybody ever had issues with ROM Manager thinking your new phone is your old phone? I've tried reinstalling and clearing its app data exactly 437 times. Flashing/backing-up manually sucks. I need to spoiled again.

For clarity's sake: N1 -> G2x.

Edit: I know this stupid loving thing is saving something on the SD card about it's version type that isn't getting blown away by an app data clear and it's just a matter of finding it. I'd rather not have to backup/nuke/pave my 16gig SD card but for the first time in 3 years Android dev's that puke all over the SD card have finally hosed me.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 27, 2011

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Has anybody ever had issues with ROM Manager thinking your new phone is your old phone? I've tried reinstalling and clearing its app data exactly 437 times. Flashing/backing-up manually sucks. I need to spoiled again.

For clarity's sake: N1 -> G2x.

Edit: I know this stupid loving thing is saving something on the SD card about it's version type that isn't getting blown away by an app data clear and it's just a matter of finding it. I'd rather not have to backup/nuke/pave my 16gig SD card but for the first time in 3 years Android dev's that puke all over the SD card have finally hosed me.

Try using SD Maid's Clean app tab.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vagrancy posted:

Try using SD Maid's Clean app tab.

Neat tool, picked it up. As for my problem I fixed it by not being subtle. I completely blew away the entirety of /clockwork, cleared app data and relauched ROM Manager. The phone flipped out and rebooted but in the end it worked.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
This is encouraging so far. I'm still using the stock battery on my Thunderbolt and with the stock OS, I was generally hitting 50% life by lunchtime with moderate use, GPS off, and LTE off.

I rooted, then installed DAS BAMF gingerbread 2.1, set the CPU on Smartass with a 1.4ghz max, GPS on and I am at 75% at 1PM.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

teamdest posted:

1) HTC android phones have a locked bootloader and NAND flash memory (primary effect: you can't load custom roms even if you are rooted, because the place they are stored is read-only). This is unlockable on the Thunderbolt though I do not know the specifics. This is not the same as rooting, which can usually be accomplished without unlocking the NAND, but the root will not stick.

Nearly all HTC phones have this removable, and that's why HTC phones tend to have the most custom roms available - you know that right?

You seem to be saying that HTC phones are very difficult to use custom ROMs on when for nearly all of them it ends up being the complete opposite.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
You folks are most helpful.

I am stuck between picking Das BAMF, BAMF Sense 3.0 RC3, and BAMF Remix v1.8. I've read their respective threads but can't for the life of me figure out what the hell their differences are (except it seems that BAMF Remix v1.8 removed most Sense stuff without breaking anything I think??) and I'd like to know which ROM you fine folks would recommend for a Thunderbolt user like myself.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

fishmech posted:

Nearly all HTC phones have this removable, and that's why HTC phones tend to have the most custom roms available - you know that right?
Custom ROM development for HTC devices is done in spite of HTC increasing their efforts to lock them down (at least, until they make good on their promise to stop that). Contrast to Samsung, whose devices have always been unlocked/open, but have inferior custom ROM support because they were a bit late to the game with a serious contender phone and their software stack sucks poo poo.

fishmech posted:

You seem to be saying that HTC phones are very difficult to use custom ROMs on when for nearly all of them it ends up being the complete opposite.
Until a week or two ago it was very difficult, short of having access to an XTC Clip, to run custom ROMs on a Desire S, Incredible S, Wildfire S, and Incredible 2. And it's still very difficult (impossible?) on a Sensation or Evo 3D.

Also, historically HTC devices have been the most difficult to root, both initially (two months lag time on the G2/Desire Z), and even for users until a solid one-click method (e.g., Unrevoked) is available. Contrast to Nexus or Samsung where it's flash poo poo and you're done.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 27, 2011

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
So it seems that a new stable version of CM7 is out for the Nook Color - I had a really bad experience trying nightlies so I want to make sure I do this update correctly. What do I need to do before updating? Will the update retain all my files/apps and so on or not? If not, what is the best way to get them back to the way they are now?

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 27, 2011

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone have experience with XPART? Asking since I'm curious about trying this release of MIUI on my N1. I'm honestly not exactly sure what it is, so some more reading material would be real helpful.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Okay, can somebody tell me what battery stats actually are? I know they can be cleared, but are they just files that exist somewhere? Do they persist across ROMs, or does each ROM have its own battery stats? I've done some searching, but the only results I ever really find are people talking about clearing the stats and how that improves battery life, but never what they actually are.

Is it all the stuff that's in /sys/class/power_supply/battery? Is it something else entirely? Does anybody even know? :iiam:

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

A locked bootloader means that you cannot load a custom kernel. Some people would argue that, without a custom kernel, you cannot have "true" ROMs. This is basically true but you'll find that there are still plenty of ROMs available for bootlocked devices, adding functionality, removing manufacturer skins, and otherwise adding features that are not present on stock ROMs. CM7 was just released on the Droid X, booting off the stock Moto kernel. While I have not tried it, it's supposedly up to par with CM7 on other devices, and is receiving nightlies along with its brethren.

A locked bootloader does not mean that you lose root or your custom ROM upon reboot. It means that you can only replace your kernel with a stock, signed one.

McJesus
Jun 28, 2002

Hamburglar posted:

You folks are most helpful.

I am stuck between picking Das BAMF, BAMF Sense 3.0 RC3, and BAMF Remix v1.8. I've read their respective threads but can't for the life of me figure out what the hell their differences are (except it seems that BAMF Remix v1.8 removed most Sense stuff without breaking anything I think??) and I'd like to know which ROM you fine folks would recommend for a Thunderbolt user like myself.

I just flashed Bamf remixv1.8 several days ago and like it so far. I didnt have to flash a new radio (I still have stock) so that was a big plus for me. Everything seems to work and battery life has improved. I was using cubed 1.2.3 but battery life sucked and stereo bluetooth didn't work.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Nupraptor posted:

A locked bootloader does not mean that you lose root or your custom ROM upon reboot. It means that you can only replace your kernel with a stock, signed one.

Locked NAND flash does, though. In fact, it means that you cannot flash custom roms, kernels, or make root stick through a reboot (excepting some very strange esoteric tricks with hot rebooting). I apologize for not drawing a distinction, but we were talking about the thunderbolt specifically which has both a locked bootloader and locked NAND flash.

And the reason development for HTC devices has been so good is that they are one of the only major OEMs and their hardware has always been on the upper-end of what is available at a given time. Implying that HTC's devices are not more difficult to root and unlock than, say, a Nexus device or a Samsung one is just backwards.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

Okay, can somebody tell me what battery stats actually are? I know they can be cleared, but are they just files that exist somewhere?
They're stored in /data/system/batterystats.bin. I believe it's a dump of all the counters Android maintains about battery usage, which are also used to generate the "Battery use" screen. I think it also contains (historical?) data on battery discharge durations.

brc64 posted:

Do they persist across ROMs, or does each ROM have its own battery stats?
They'll persist along with all other user data. So if you do a /data clear the statistics are implicitly wiped.

brc64 posted:

I've done some searching, but the only results I ever really find are people talking about clearing the stats and how that improves battery life, but never what they actually are.
It would make sense for Android to track battery statistics to do things like map the current charge level (as reported by the hardware) to an approximation of time remaining and such. But from what I can tell, at least in Froyo, all the low battery warnings are set to hardcoded charge levels and the statistics are just maintained possibly to report back to "someone" about abnormally low charge times for debugging purposes. So I don't think there's any feedback actually implemented, although I might've missed the relevant code on that.

brc64 posted:

Is it all the stuff that's in /sys/class/power_supply/battery? Is it something else entirely?
No, that information is actually reported by the kernel battery driver. So it's current condition stuff that Android uses as an input for its statistics tracking, along with things like component/activity usage timers and such.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

teamdest posted:

And the reason development for HTC devices has been so good is that they are one of the only major OEMs and their hardware has always been on the upper-end of what is available at a given time. Implying that HTC's devices are not more difficult to root and unlock than, say, a Nexus device or a Samsung one is just backwards.
I didn't want to jump on anyone particular, but there is a lot of confusion surrounding the issue. I'm just trying to clarify. And actually, I wasn't aware that the Thunderbolt had locked NAND Flash. I've actually been meaning to read up on the TB scene, so thank you for the clarification.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nupraptor posted:

And actually, I wasn't aware that the Thunderbolt had locked NAND Flash.
The Thunderbolt has all the protections of the G2/Desire Z, MT4G, etc., plus a signed bootloader. The latter is what everyone's been making a big deal out of over the past few months but it's not actually that significant as, once the device is S-OFF the boot signature is ignored.

On the Thunderbolt, I don't think anyone figured out how to get radio S-OFF, but it's vulnerable to Froyo root exploits and the previous method of resetting the eMMC controller to disable the NAND lock, so folks just flash the leaked engineering bootloader (which also doesn't check signatures) which provides functionality equivalent to radio S-OFF.

I believe they have a leaked engineering ROM for even newer devices like the Incredible S, but they couldn't get past the NAND lock using the previous method so there was no way to flash it. Although apparently they've made progress on that front, but I haven't kept up with how they have.

Not sure what the present holdup is with the Sensation and Evo 3D, other than it's a race between the hackers to figure out another workaround and HTC to actually unlock the loving thing. Part of the problem is that root exploits are going away as Google is committing security patches and forcing manufactueres to include them in ROM images/updates.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No, that information is actually reported by the kernel battery driver. So it's current condition stuff that Android uses as an input for its statistics tracking, along with things like component/activity usage timers and such.
Okay, that's what I sort of thought. This goes back to my "EVO 4G doesn't register my 3500 mAh battery as 3500 mAh" thing from a while back. I had some back and forth emails with the guy who makes Battery Monitor Widget, and he also said that it was the kernel that was reporting the mAh value, and suggested I look for kernels designed for extended batteries, which led me to some further confusing places.

My phone reports that it has a 1500 mAh (stock size) battery, presumably from
/sys/class/power_supply/battery/full_bat, which just says "1500000". What I've been trying to figure out is where that number is coming from... if the battery itself is reporting that, if it's part of the battery stats (I have never cleared battery stats since installing my extended battery), or if it's something that's hardcoded into the kernel. That latter makes a bit of sense, given that under normal circumstances any EVO 4G would have a 1500 mAh battery. But regardless of the source, I think it's what's causing my unreliable reporting.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

What I've been trying to figure out is where that number is coming from....
It's definitely coming through the kernel. Whether the value comes from probing the battery or is hardcoded into the kernel driver depends on how fancy the driver is.

Which ROM/kernel version? I can take a quick look at the source and see if it should be coming from battery itself.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

McJesus posted:

I just flashed Bamf remixv1.8 several days ago and like it so far. I didnt have to flash a new radio (I still have stock) so that was a big plus for me. Everything seems to work and battery life has improved. I was using cubed 1.2.3 but battery life sucked and stereo bluetooth didn't work.

Thanks. Going to take your advice and use Remix. I guess because it isn't using Gingerbread is the reason you don't need to change the radio. Supposedly the MR2 radio is good, but I would like to "officially" get it rather than cram it in there. I know GB should be out for this phone soon from Verizon, but I like waiting for the official ones to come out before downloading hacked variations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's definitely coming through the kernel. Whether the value comes from probing the battery or is hardcoded into the kernel driver depends on how fancy the driver is.

Which ROM/kernel version? I can take a quick look at the source and see if it should be coming from battery itself.

CyanogenMod 7.0.2

Kernel: 2.6.37.4-cyanogenmod-01338-g0374804 shade@toxygene #1

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

LastInLine posted:

Actually I think you're misunderstanding. You're getting out of space messages because you have no internal storage for apps but that's unrelated to the problem you're having.

The problem is the ROM itself is too large for the phone. The solution is to open the zip file and remove poo poo you don't want prior to flashing. The point where you run into trouble is when you need to flash more on top of the usual flash, like a script or a kernel. Now you're out even more space.

As for your other issue of low internal space for apps, I'd normally tell you that a2sd is worth the hassle on the N1 but that's only going to make flashing things less likely to fit.

Yeah I hadn't even thought of that. I thought it was just a disk space thing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

Kernel: 2.6.37.4-cyanogenmod-01338-g0374804 shade@toxygene #1
Turns out the HTC battery driver gets all of its battery information (including full_bat) from the radio/baseband processor. I can't dig in any further than that, lord knows what HTC does there, but there's no particular reason to think it's fabricated.

I don't see how the kernel can be changed, or is even responsible for that value short of ignoring what the radio tells you and putting in your own fake value.

Anyways, it shouldn't matter? It doesn't look like full_bat is actually read by the Android framework.

Edit: I'm guessing the Battery Monitor Widget reads that value directly. And it's wrong because who knows what either HTC or the battery is doing there, and nothing else in Android cares about it.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 27, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Turns out the HTC battery driver gets all of its battery information (including full_bat) from the radio/baseband processor. I can't dig in any further than that, lord knows what HTC does there, but there's no particular reason to think it's fabricated.

I don't see how the kernel can be changed, or is even responsible for that value short of ignoring what the radio tells you and putting in your own fake value.

Anyways, it shouldn't matter? It doesn't look like full_bat is actually read by the Android framework.

Edit: I'm guessing the Battery Monitor Widget reads that value directly. And it's wrong because who knows what either HTC or the battery is doing there, and nothing else in Android cares about it.

I figured it was basing the current charge level off of full_bat, but not it looks like Battery Monitor Widget just uses that value to approximate the current mAh based on the system reported charge level.

I guess I'll try clearing battery stats the next time I charge my phone and see if that gives me any more consistent reporting. I just didn't want to do that without understanding exactly what it meant.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vaporware posted:

Yeah I hadn't even thought of that. I thought it was just a disk space thing.
A lot of people in the N1 CM7 nightly threads are running into the same problem. Since I don't know how to sign ZIPs I haven't flashed anything in a bit.

I'd imagine if I could just remove the live wallpapers it'd be enough.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Going to make the plunge to CM7 on my Droid X. I've been using rubix focused 2.0 and while it seems alright, it's slow, outdated, and has some bizzare issues. I haven't really kept up on the lingo, but I understand the basic steps are:

1.) SBF back to 2.3.340
2.) Root using ZDroot
3.) Install Droid2 Bootstrapper
4.) Boot into recovery
5.) Install CM7.zip
6.) Install GAPP thing, reboot.

Are the nightlies just updated "patches" for CM7? Basically I just download the latest one and boot to recovery -> install nightly.zip? No need to wipe data/cache?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hey guys I'm doing the AlphaRev S-OFF with my HTC Desire at the moment but the program seems stuck on the first step and says "Waiting for bootloader..." which it is in. Should I just keep waiting or do I need to select something in bootloader for it?

EDIT: Pulled it, seems fine. Although the files it pushed to the internal now means I'm outa space. That's why I was doing it in the first place. :negative:

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 28, 2011

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Nostrum posted:

Going to make the plunge to CM7 on my Droid X. I've been using rubix focused 2.0 and while it seems alright, it's slow, outdated, and has some bizzare issues. I haven't really kept up on the lingo, but I understand the basic steps are:

1.) SBF back to 2.3.340
2.) Root using ZDroot
3.) Install Droid2 Bootstrapper
4.) Boot into recovery
5.) Install CM7.zip
6.) Install GAPP thing, reboot.

Are the nightlies just updated "patches" for CM7? Basically I just download the latest one and boot to recovery -> install nightly.zip? No need to wipe data/cache?

That's pretty much it. Some people wipe and some people don't. Anecdotal, but on my Inc the few nightlies I have flashed I didnt wipe and everything worked fine-- GPS, Wifi, camera (the stuff there is usually issues with).

With the nightlies however usually they just focus on a few issues. I just go from stable to stable or (in this case the past few weeks) I'd go for a nightly every week or so because they are nearing a stable release ie the nightlies would be more stable.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I just tried to update to CM7.1 RC1 for my Evo and it wouldn't get past the Evo bootup screen. What did I do wrong and why are my contact pictures blurry? Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Hey guys I'm doing the AlphaRev S-OFF with my HTC Desire at the moment but the program seems stuck on the first step and says "Waiting for bootloader..." which it is in. Should I just keep waiting or do I need to select something in bootloader for it?

EDIT: Pulled it, seems fine. Although the files it pushed to the internal now means I'm outa space. That's why I was doing it in the first place. :negative:

Okay I got S-Off (finally) and I flashed the new HBOOT partition and restored my nandroid backup that I made before this. However I'm getting crazy force closes and all sorts when I get in. This has been mentioned before but I can't remember the fix, it's to do with my app settings right?

Should I just wipe and start again? It seems this has kinda happened anyway.