Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

agentq posted:

I tried downloading the win7 iso from the digitalriver site even though it's been more than 30 days and it worked.

Can I just put the iso file on a thumbdrive and boot from that? Or do I need to do some special prep...

You need to use this, as you can't "burn" an ISO to a USB stick in any useful way. N.B. that image doesn't have Service Pack 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Factory Factory posted:

You need to use this, as you can't "burn" an ISO to a USB stick in any useful way. N.B. that image doesn't have Service Pack 1.

Thanks for the tool. Why wouldn't Microsoft want the most updated software to be published?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Better/cheaper/more profitable things to do than update a retail CD image when Windows Update will take care of it anyway? OEMs customize their own builds and install images.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm looking for software that is comparable to Autohotkey. I bought a Targus Bluetooth presentation remote, that is Mac-only. But I bought it because somebody had made an in-depth Autohotkey script for it. That, on top of the mouse functionality and cheap $20 price, made it an easy purchase.

The AHK script is frustrating, though. I can't code, but I can sometimes edit code if I can figure it out. I can't really follow this though, so I can't configure it to my liking.

Do I have any other options in a program that can turn the input from this device into other functions? Nothing fancy, just regular single key strokes.

Or, anybody willing to make a new script for me, if I would supply the old one?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Revol posted:

I'm looking for software that is comparable to Autohotkey. I bought a Targus Bluetooth presentation remote, that is Mac-only. But I bought it because somebody had made an in-depth Autohotkey script for it. That, on top of the mouse functionality and cheap $20 price, made it an easy purchase.

The AHK script is frustrating, though. I can't code, but I can sometimes edit code if I can figure it out. I can't really follow this though, so I can't configure it to my liking.

Do I have any other options in a program that can turn the input from this device into other functions? Nothing fancy, just regular single key strokes.

Or, anybody willing to make a new script for me, if I would supply the old one?

AutoIT. Similar enough to AHK (because they both stem from the same original codebase) that it's easy enough to convert an AHK script. Also, AutoIT is better than AHK because it doesn't have stupidass syntax.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

agentq posted:

Thanks for the tool. Why wouldn't Microsoft want the most updated software to be published?

Dunno.

Technet has the checksums for install images for pretty much everything Microsoft's ever put out, though.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Thanks. We ended up uninstalling everything Norton, but now it's even more screwed up. It won't read CDs, (when I try to force it to with the run command, it says there's nothing in the drive, and when I try to use the command prompt screen to switch to the CD, it says device not ready). There's nothing in the device manager and it can't read flashdrives or any USB devices. Any clue what's going on or is the computer just dead now? I can't even transfer microsoft fixes from this computer to her computer now.

You should probably take this to the tech support subforum. Sounds like something in the hardware is dying or the software is really jacked up.

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Thanks. We ended up uninstalling everything Norton, but now it's even more screwed up. It won't read CDs, (when I try to force it to with the run command, it says there's nothing in the drive, and when I try to use the command prompt screen to switch to the CD, it says device not ready). There's nothing in the device manager and it can't read flashdrives or any USB devices. Any clue what's going on or is the computer just dead now? I can't even transfer microsoft fixes from this computer to her computer now.

There's nothing at all listed in Device Manager? Welp, it's hosed - the CD drive may have spontaneously gone bad, but that's unlikely. Backing up your data and then doing a factory restore is probably the simplest route - otherwise you're looking at Combofix, Malware Bytes, HijackThis and the rest of the malware removal process. If you're doing a factory restore, don't forget to update Windows afterwards, and install MSE after taking out Norton.

Edit: What LoKout said - the tech support subforum is probably the better place.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've setup a color laserjet 8500 on our new print server at work, server 2008 x64 using the x64 HP PCL5 universal print driver as well as the x86 PCL5 UPD as an "additional driver" to serve to clients.

It's only printing in black and white from server or a client. This is right outside an exec's office, we're shutting off the old server tomorrow and I know he uses this ancient pile of poo poo all the time so I'm scrambling.

There was no actual CLJ 8500 driver available for anything newer than win2k and the win2k driver would not install on s2008.

This printer worked (and still works) fine on the old server 2003 print server that actually has a driver built in. This is my 1st experience with server 2008, like a dozen other models of hp printers here were also not built in and I used the x64+x86 PCL6 HP UPD for them and the color ones of them printed fine. Get nothing at all out of the 8500 using the pcl6 upd so that's why I have pcl5.

On the server I saw in the printer properties - device settings tab a "color printing mode = auto" I changed that to on, didn't make a difference.

Anything I should be doing differently?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 27, 2011

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Is there anything I can use to hide folders only in Explorer? I have an absurd amount of config folders from programs/games in My Documents and I want to hide them, but any program using those folders bugs out if I hide them the regular way.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Golashes posted:

Is there anything I can use to hide folders only in Explorer? I have an absurd amount of config folders from programs/games in My Documents and I want to hide them, but any program using those folders bugs out if I hide them the regular way.

A crude but straightforward trick is to rename or shortcut the folders you do care about and put a dot in front of them (eg ".My Music"), so they will appear at the top of the list.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Golashes posted:

What is the "regular way" to you? Rtclick folder, properties, check 'hide', choose apply to folder only. This causes applications to break? Which applications and how does the brokenness manifest itself?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Thermopyle posted:

AutoIT. Similar enough to AHK (because they both stem from the same original codebase) that it's easy enough to convert an AHK script. Also, AutoIT is better than AHK because it doesn't have stupidass syntax.

Eh, now I'm stuck with starting from scratch. Isn't there something out there with a GUI?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Revol posted:

Eh, now I'm stuck with starting from scratch. Isn't there something out there with a GUI?

Only a guess but maybe Eventghost?

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
I'm waiting for a heatsink in the post before I put my new PC together (new mobo, CPU, RAM, everything else the same) but I just remembered I have an OEM Windows 7. The license key under the My Computer settings is different from the one on the sticker though, so would using that key work? If not, how easy is it to get a new key off MS if I need to call them?

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
The product ID under system settings is not your license key. If you purchased the OEM license directly and it didn't come with your PC you'll be fine. If it came bundled you likely won't be able to reuse it if you replace the parts. MS licensing support may approve it, but I wouldn't count on it. Technically speaking it won't be legal since it's already been activated on one set of hardware, even if you don't plan on using the old hardware again.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is it possible to have two user accounts open on a PC?

One user at the pc working on whatever and another remote'd in to the other account?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Not in Windows. While it's a multi-user OS, the interface only handles on person at a time. If you use Remote Desktop Protocol to poke into an account over LAN, it will lock the PC to anybody at the keyboard.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Factory Factory posted:

Not in Windows. While it's a multi-user OS, the interface only handles on person at a time. If you use Remote Desktop Protocol to poke into an account over LAN, it will lock the PC to anybody at the keyboard.
In Windows 7 you can still get a old beta version of one of the files.
Then you can have someone on the computer, and someone on RDP.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
There is a patcher that will patch your DLL to allow concurrent sessions.

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

LoKout posted:

The product ID under system settings is not your license key. If you purchased the OEM license directly and it didn't come with your PC you'll be fine. If it came bundled you likely won't be able to reuse it if you replace the parts. MS licensing support may approve it, but I wouldn't count on it. Technically speaking it won't be legal since it's already been activated on one set of hardware, even if you don't plan on using the old hardware again.

If you need to find your product key on the system, you can use Jellybean Keyfinder... Which now appears to be charging.

That annoyed me enough to upload the older, free version off of my system, and put it up here. Bear in mind that this won't hold much water if MS were to actually request photographic evidence of a license sticker to prove validity, and won't change the licensing issues already mentioned.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Is there anyway to hide a partition in Windows? My Lenovo Recovery partition is visible in Explorer, and it'd be nice if I can hide that.

EDIT: Thanks!

Satire Forum Mom fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 28, 2011

cs25230
Jun 13, 2005

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Is there anyway to hide a partition in Windows? My Lenovo Recovery partition is visible in Explorer, and it'd be nice if I can hide that.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757491(WS.10).aspx

To get to Computer Management just right click on My Computer and click manage.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Masked Pumpkin posted:

If you need to find your product key on the system, you can use Jellybean Keyfinder... Which now appears to be charging.

That annoyed me enough to upload the older, free version off of my system, and put it up here. Bear in mind that this won't hold much water if MS were to actually request photographic evidence of a license sticker to prove validity, and won't change the licensing issues already mentioned.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Steakandchips posted:

I'm looking for a video editing program slightly more advanced than Windows Movie Maker.

I tried the trial of Vegas, but it was way way too complicated right off the bat. I like detail, but not thrown at me right from the beginning...

Any recommendations?

What I use this for: basically slightly editing (i.e. adding titles), and then converting .avi's captured by Fraps to something smaller.

Mak0rz posted:

I am also interested in this. Normally WMM would work fine with me, but I'm using an HD format (MPEG-2 stream) that WMM doesn't support.

This was a few pages back, and Factory Factory mentioned a couple of programs which seem to be able to do what I want, however a big caveat is that the program has to be free (or extremely cheap) as I need to use it over the course of the next year and a half.

Does anyone have any more suggestions? I tried VirtualDub, but it is severely lacking in its ability to do something as seemingly simple as adding a title card.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

MeKeV posted:

Only a guess but maybe Eventghost?

Oh man, this looks absolutely perfect. It looks like I can do even more than I originally planned.

This is for my Windows 7 tablet (Acer W500). I've got this thing loaded up with a lot of emulators and ROMs. I've got a program making launching the games easy, but what about when I'm inside the emulator? I use this without the attached keyboard, so I have no way to escape out of the emulator, or do a quick save.

With the Mac Targus remote, I can escape out of games, but can't do save states. And even then, the Autohotkey script is too buggy, because the remote sends FIVE events to the computer from press down to release.

Now with Eventghost I can pick and choose the exact event so I'm only getting the one input. Plus, I can have one key press do different things when a different emulator is running. While ePSXe uses F1 for save states, ZSNES may use another and Fusion yet another. It's gonna take some time to set it up, but I think I get it now, and I think it's gonna be worth it in the end.

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

Wow. I've been using Nirsoft's Mailpv to help out clients for bloody ages, I can't believe I missed this. Thank you.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

c0burn posted:

There is a patcher that will patch your DLL to allow concurrent sessions.

Are there any "known" downsides to this? It looks as if the *.dlls are replaced with non-offical Microsoft ones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

Are there any "known" downsides to this? It looks as if the *.dlls are replaced with non-offical Microsoft ones.

They're probably the matching dlls from Server 2008 R2 (which allows multiple users at once, part of why it costs more)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Nirsoft is one of the utility treasure trove gems of the Internet, along with sysinternals.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
What would cause Windows to add additional key modifiers to keystrokes?

Here's where I'm at: I have an Acer W500 tablet, and it runs Windows 7. It's a slate tablet, but it comes with a keyboard (with pointing stick mouse nub) that the slate can dock into. I also have a Targus Bluetooth presentation remote. It's made for Mac-only, and there is no Windows driver. But it sends out keystrokes, so I can manipulate it using something like Autohotkey or Eventghost. This is what I'm doing: I am setting up the remote to control functionality in my video game emulators, since when I use it as a slate, I don't have access to any keyboard. (The keyboard doesn't play nice when I plug any controllers into its USB slots.)

But what is happening is that as I continue to use the system, without the keyboard docked, with the remote, Windows starts to add keystrokes to EVERYTHING. Usually, Eventghost just reports this normally. But eventually, everything will have an added 'OemE9' or something weird added on. This just seems to affect how Eventghost works, however.

But sometimes, it goes even further. Last night, EVERYTHING I did on the computer had every key modifier applied to it. L-ctrl, L-alt, L-shift, maybe even the Windows key. This affects mouse control; clicking on icons on the desktop control-selects them, so that selecting another icon continues the selection. Opening menus doesn't work; they close right away. It's a mess, and the only way to fix it is to restart it.

What would you first suspect would be doing this? It's not Eventghost, it's happened before I installed it. I don't think it would be the Mac remote, because I see what keystrokes it makes, and the only modifiers it does know is left alt and left windows. Why would shift keys be added too, though? And to everything? Besides, the drivers it uses are just HID-based keyboard generic.

I'd suspect the keyboard dock's driver. Ideas?

Revol fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 29, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
About a year and a half ago I had a Windows Mobile phone and I found out it had Remote Desktop. I know the concept is old to a lot of you but my mind was blown at the prospect of controlling a desktop from a cellphone. I had my laptop connect to it, too, so I could get tasks done at work if I needed.

Since then, I got a new cellphone (Android), a new laptop, and a new Verizon FiOS router. I remember setting this remote desktop stuff up was a complete nightmare; having to change stuff in my router, and other stuff that consumed the better half of a weekend.

Is there any easier way to do this now? The computer I want to remote into is a Windows 7 machine. Considering how disturbingly easy it was to set up AirPlay on my iPad which connects to my Windows 7 machine, I would imagine it got a little better, but I'd like to know before I google for instructions that are going to make me tear my hair out.

Thanks! :*

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hamburglar posted:

About a year and a half ago I had a Windows Mobile phone and I found out it had Remote Desktop. I know the concept is old to a lot of you but my mind was blown at the prospect of controlling a desktop from a cellphone. I had my laptop connect to it, too, so I could get tasks done at work if I needed.

Since then, I got a new cellphone (Android), a new laptop, and a new Verizon FiOS router. I remember setting this remote desktop stuff up was a complete nightmare; having to change stuff in my router, and other stuff that consumed the better half of a weekend.

Is there any easier way to do this now? The computer I want to remote into is a Windows 7 machine. Considering how disturbingly easy it was to set up AirPlay on my iPad which connects to my Windows 7 machine, I would imagine it got a little better, but I'd like to know before I google for instructions that are going to make me tear my hair out.

Thanks! :*

Check out Wyse PocketCloud. There's a free version in the Android Marketplace, and you just have to download and set up a program on your computer which is fairly straight-forward. After that, you simply use your Google credentials to sign in, and there's your computer. Warning: it doesn't always work well for me on my phone. My tablet seems to be more cooperative, however.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Revol posted:

What would cause Windows to add additional key modifiers to keystrokes?

Here's where I'm at: I have an Acer W500 tablet, and it runs Windows 7. It's a slate tablet, but it comes with a keyboard (with pointing stick mouse nub) that the slate can dock into. I also have a Targus Bluetooth presentation remote. It's made for Mac-only, and there is no Windows driver. But it sends out keystrokes, so I can manipulate it using something like Autohotkey or Eventghost. This is what I'm doing: I am setting up the remote to control functionality in my video game emulators, since when I use it as a slate, I don't have access to any keyboard. (The keyboard doesn't play nice when I plug any controllers into its USB slots.)

But what is happening is that as I continue to use the system, without the keyboard docked, with the remote, Windows starts to add keystrokes to EVERYTHING. Usually, Eventghost just reports this normally. But eventually, everything will have an added 'OemE9' or something weird added on. This just seems to affect how Eventghost works, however.

But sometimes, it goes even further. Last night, EVERYTHING I did on the computer had every key modifier applied to it. L-ctrl, L-alt, L-shift, maybe even the Windows key. This affects mouse control; clicking on icons on the desktop control-selects them, so that selecting another icon continues the selection. Opening menus doesn't work; they close right away. It's a mess, and the only way to fix it is to restart it.

What would you first suspect would be doing this? It's not Eventghost, it's happened before I installed it. I don't think it would be the Mac remote, because I see what keystrokes it makes, and the only modifiers it does know is left alt and left windows. Why would shift keys be added too, though? And to everything? Besides, the drivers it uses are just HID-based keyboard generic.

I'd suspect the keyboard dock's driver. Ideas?

Low tech check: is one or more keyboard keys stuck down? This isn't an insult to your intelligence; I accidentally get my ctrl key stuck about twice a month and I have to pause a moment to figure out what's wrong.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Factor Mystic posted:

Low tech check: is one or more keyboard keys stuck down? This isn't an insult to your intelligence; I accidentally get my ctrl key stuck about twice a month and I have to pause a moment to figure out what's wrong.

I've noticed that sometimes, my ctrl/alt/win keys (not all at the same time) sometimes get 'stuck' when switching between remote desktop/virtualbox clients and the host OS. Revol said he's running some game emulators which might also be doing something similar to remote desktop/virtualbox in order to emulate/generate keys.

Whenever I notice it happening, i just press the 'stuck' keys a couple of times and it seems to sort itself out. Maybe that might help?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How do you remove the default Windows 7 Log-on screen? I want to get rid of that whole picture and icons and resort the default menu with username and password.

Googling for "change the way users log in and off" just keeps bring up the steps how to do this in Windows XP or Vista.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Tab8715 posted:

How do you remove the default Windows 7 Log-on screen? I want to get rid of that whole picture and icons and resort the default menu with username and password.

Googling for "change the way users log in and off" just keeps bring up the steps how to do this in Windows XP or Vista.

Why?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

c0burn posted:

Why?

I don't want all the user accounts listed and it looks un-professional.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Tab8715 posted:

I don't want all the user accounts listed and it looks un-professional.

I don't see what's unprofessional about it, but it sounds like this should do what you're looking for. The "frame" for account pictures will still be there, but users will have to enter their username and password. If the background image is bothering you. Replace it with a wall of grey or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Factor Mystic posted:

This can happen when the keyboard isn't plugged in. It can happen when the keyboard was never plugged in for the entire time the tablet was plugged in.

But I understand. I work tech support help line; I know you have to do the low tech checks.

beuges posted:

I've noticed that sometimes, my ctrl/alt/win keys (not all at the same time) sometimes get 'stuck' when switching between remote desktop/virtualbox clients and the host OS. Revol said he's running some game emulators which might also be doing something similar to remote desktop/virtualbox in order to emulate/generate keys.

Whenever I notice it happening, i just press the 'stuck' keys a couple of times and it seems to sort itself out. Maybe that might help?

Repeatedly pressing the suspect keys does nothing to alleviate it.

Your idea on the emulator is interesting. And not only the emulator, but I also use a front-end for loading the ROMs, Gameex. But... when this happened to me last night, I had never run Gameex. I did try ePSXe, maybe ZSNES.

But that can only be a potential answer for the stuck ctrl/alt/shift/win keys. The addition of 'OemE9' that occurs to all keypresses (from both keyboard and remote) can occur without any emulator in the mix.

What I mean by this, is in Eventghost pressing P will be reported as an event of Keypress-P one minute, and the next it will be Keypress-P+OemE9. One today it even went back to Keypress-P.

This makes no effect on regular operation, but it ruins the way Eventghost works, since it's waiting for Keypress-P but only ever sees Keypress-P+OemE9 at a given moment.