Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
As mentioned in the Scifi and Fantasy thread, I just started A Song of Fire and Ice's first book, A Game Of Thrones. Its been pretty excellent through the first 40 or so pages :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Adonis Gunther posted:

I just bought War and Peace Leo Tolstoy as I figured I will forever be shunned among the community of book nerds if I don't read it. I do hope I don't die before I finish.

It's worth being sure you have the new translation (Prevear & Volokhonsky). It's a wonderful read: great characterization, wonderful plotting, well developed themes, and on and on. Take your time and enjoy it, even if it takes a while (though it need'nt).

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Well, it did take me about 2 months, but it never really dragged all that much, and it kept me interested throughout - except for the previously mentioned last hundred pages.

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010
Just started Where I'm Calling From by Raymond Carver. I'm an avid short story reader, and this book is really hitting the spot. However, Carver's abrupt endings - while certainly reminiscent of the way life really is - often leave me feeling stupid; as if I've missed something. I'm loving it so far.

WalaWala
Jul 2, 2002
Downloaded Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen), interesting so far. Had trouble putting down the kindle last night.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Just stated Big Man by Clarance Clemons. I had it grouped together with a bunch of other entertainment books in my 125 line, but since he passed on Saturday, it's time to dive into it.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
I just started The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. My cousin has been raving about it for a while and lent me his copy. I wouldn't have picked it up on my own but I'm liking it so far.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just started in on Dark War by Tim Waggoner. It's the third book in the Matt Richter series (zombie detective).

So far... so good. This is one of my favorite series, and it's living up (:haw:) to the last 2 books.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Just started See A Little Light, a memoir by Bob Mould of Husker Du. So far, I'm liking it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs.

:stare:

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010
The introduction to Naked Lunch is the best part of the book. The "WE have this tent and this lamp and this tent and this lamp.." section is amazing.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I started Henderson, the Rain King by Saul Bellow recently. It's the story about a bullheaded man for whom everything goes wrong. That's probably oversimplifying it, but I am enjoying the story.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
I've just started The Girl who played with Fire and so far it's awesome. I really enjoyed the first book and this one is a good continuation of the originals "greatness" - anyone else had a positive experience with the millennium trilogy?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

AmericanGeeksta posted:

As mentioned in the Scifi and Fantasy thread, I just started A Song of Fire and Ice's first book, A Game Of Thrones. Its been pretty excellent through the first 40 or so pages :)

I just started this also, watched the show on HBO and thought I better read all the books before the next season.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Just kicked off with Republic by Plato, and through the first book (chapter)I find myself really enjoying the format it is written in. I will admit there are a couple references in it that require looking up, but all in all it was much more accessible then I had expected.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Started The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss last night. I read The Name of the Wind back at the beginning of March when, I believe, the second book was just coming out. I greatly enjoyed the first one, and the snatches of feelings I have gotten about this book say that it's even better than the first.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
So, previously I had only read through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and stopped there. That was years ago though, so recently I read books 1-4 again, finishing Goblet last night, and now I'm starting on Order of the Phoenix. This is all new stuff to me, so that's exciting. :)

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
I was recently reminded of the film Casualties of War, which I saw only once years ago, but which made such a lasting impact on me that I still can't help but think about it from time to time. I'm not sure what prompted it, but in the last few days I had the impulse to look up any information I could on the film and found the original New Yorker article. Reading through it is every bit as difficult as watching the film was, if not more so knowing this is a more true-to-real-life account of what happened in the Incident on Hill 192.

So I've also discovered that at some point Daniel Lang, the writer of the New Yorker article, also adapted the story into a book, which I've just ordered from amazon. I'm not sure what differs about the book, in terms of details. But the more I learn about this story, the more it stuns me and the more I realize how important the article and the film are. I feel like not many people know about it, but I feel that they really, really should.

I don't often tear up at movies, and I don't often tear up when reading books. But this story just makes the name Phan Thi Mao and the date of November 18, 1966 take on a terrible new significance for me in ways I can't even articulate, even though it's an incident from multiple decades before I was born in a country I've never set foot in. If you haven't read the article at least, definitely pay the $6 or so for the archive access, and see if it doesn't just destroy you.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 1, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just went on a splurge on Bookdepository :)

Children of the Sun by Max Schaefer (a friend of China Mieville), his debut novel, about gay men in the skinhead/fascist movement in 1970s London

Luna by Julie Ann Peters, and Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher, two YA novels about transgender teens

The Eerie Silence by Paul Davies, nonfiction about the search for extraterrestrial intelligence

Contacting Aliens: An Illustrated Guide to David Brin's Uplift Universe, which is a compendium of alien species and other information from the Uplift books :h:

When i have a little more money I'll go on a preordering splurge, there's a lot of good books coming out over the next few months that I want (new ones by Richard Morgan, Lev Grossman, Jeffrey Eugenides, Vernor Vinge, plus a duo of new Mass Effect books)

pkd3001
Jun 5, 2011
I just finished "Man's Search for Meaning," by Viktor Frankl. It was a great book, imo. I just started a book by Michael Shermer called, "The Believing Brain," and Michael Shermer is the man who created the magazine, "the skeptic." Michael Shermer writes about how we have beliefs and the reality we see is dependent on the beliefs we have. Really great book, also from what I have read of it so far.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Hedrigall posted:

Children of the Sun by Max Schaefer (a friend of China Mieville), his debut novel, about gay men in the skinhead/fascist movement in 1970s London

I wanted to pick that up but didn't get it because I wasn't sure how factual it was (once I found out it was a novel rather than an autobiography/investigation I was a bit displeased). Is it worth getting anyway?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

pkd3001 posted:

I just finished "Man's Search for Meaning," by Viktor Frankl. It was a great book, imo.

It's been quite a long time since I read that, and I'd be interested to hear your impressions in a bit more detail, if you wouldn't mind expanding on this.

SPM
Jan 7, 2009
Recently got the first 2 books of the A Song of Ice and Fire series, was surprised at how big they were when they came though! Along with The girl who leapt through time and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest is still on its way in the post.
Should keep me occupied for a while, trying to make up for a university year of not reading many books and to read some books I've wanted to read for a while.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I just started James Dickey's Deliverance. The description in this book is loving beautiful, I'm absolutely loving it. The book actually makes me want to go take a hike and camp outdoors.

Of course, I haven't yet gotten to the part where they get attacked, so I'm assuming this is a passing urge.

pkd3001
Jun 5, 2011

Folderol posted:

It's been quite a long time since I read that, and I'd be interested to hear your impressions in a bit more detail, if you wouldn't mind expanding on this.

Oh, yeah, sure no problem. I really love existentialism, but Frankl created "logotherapy" which is a type of therapy that focuses on how "meaning" affects our lives instead say someone like Frued who was concerned with repressed memories and sexual repression. The book is all about how to find meaning in our lives despite the fact that we all suffer and we all will die one day. He was jewish and in the concentration camps during WWII, so despite the enormous suffering there, he still found meaning in his life. The book is really great and quite famous. I just like the existential themes in it, because I really love existentialism, especially Heidegger and Kierkegaard. Also I am new to Something Awful, and I keep forgetting where I post my replies, is there any way I can get email, telling me when someone responds to me, so I can respond back to them? Well, thanks, and looking forward to your response.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just picked up Ghost Dance by Rebecca Levene.

It's the second in a series that's kinda cool. Sort of cold war meets lovecraft.

The first book was one of the best takes on the zombie genre I have read, so I have high hopes for this one.

Also started book 2 of the Tide Lords series. Finished up book 1 today.

Agatha Crispies
Jan 15, 2010

Contains 100% daily dose of little grey cells
I'm starting Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabakov for the second time. It's absolutely hilarious but I got distracted last time and haven't picked up the book in months. :(

So I'm starting all over again, and this time I'm going to finish it dammit!

I've also started A Holiday for Murder by Dame Agatha Christie. I've read many of her books so I'm sure to enjoy it. It also promised a lot of blood, so it should be an exciting upswing from the okay The Moving Finger, which I recently finished.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just started reading Max Havelaar by Multatuli, a 19th-century Dutch novel. My plans this summer, in terms of literature, include
a) reading as many Dutch/Flemish classics as I can get my hands on
b) struggling through two Tolstoi novels I got for my birthday
c) finally reading Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984 so I can use the adjective 'Orwellian' and actually know what I'm talking about

pkd3001
Jun 5, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I just started reading Max Havelaar by Multatuli, a 19th-century Dutch novel. My plans this summer, in terms of literature, include
a) reading as many Dutch/Flemish classics as I can get my hands on
b) struggling through two Tolstoi novels I got for my birthday
c) finally reading Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984 so I can use the adjective 'Orwellian' and actually know what I'm talking about

Those are some great goals. I have read 1984, great book. Orwell was a smart man.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

pkd3001 posted:

Those are some great goals. I have read 1984, great book. Orwell was a smart man.

The last chapter of 1984 is among the greatest things I have ever read.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Lurchibles posted:

I wanted to pick that up but didn't get it because I wasn't sure how factual it was (once I found out it was a novel rather than an autobiography/investigation I was a bit displeased). Is it worth getting anyway?

I dunno, I did say I just ordered it from Book Depository :P

If it's any help China Mieville raves about it and it's gotten pretty good reviews overall.

pkd3001
Jun 5, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The last chapter of 1984 is among the greatest things I have ever read.

Yeah, I actually have a master's degree in philosophy, and what Orwell is getting is one of the deepest philosophical subjects out there. He is writing about the nature of evil, actually and how it happens. The famous political and phenomenological philosopher Hannah Arendt, used the often used, phrase, "banality of evil." This means, that evil happens not always, but sometimes, by psychopaths, but by ordinary people just going with the flow. In Nazi Germany how did the evil happen? It wasn't because the nation was a nation full of psychopaths, but because 30 million Germans were just "going with the flow." If you get enough people to start thinking 2 plus 2 equals, and they have actually done experiments where you get people to believe things they known are not true, then you get lots of evil. The ending is really, really, really, deep.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

pkd3001 posted:

Oh, yeah, sure no problem. I really love existentialism, but Frankl created "logotherapy" which is a type of therapy that focuses on how "meaning" affects our lives instead say someone like Frued who was concerned with repressed memories and sexual repression. The book is all about how to find meaning in our lives despite the fact that we all suffer and we all will die one day. He was jewish and in the concentration camps during WWII, so despite the enormous suffering there, he still found meaning in his life. The book is really great and quite famous. I just like the existential themes in it, because I really love existentialism, especially Heidegger and Kierkegaard. Also I am new to Something Awful, and I keep forgetting where I post my replies, is there any way I can get email, telling me when someone responds to me, so I can respond back to them? Well, thanks, and looking forward to your response.

Ah, many thanks! I do recall the overall thrust of the book in terms of the importance of finding meaning, but it's been a long, long time and I must confess I hadn't recalled a connection to the kind of subjectively determined/realized truth that's central to Kierkegaard's writing. As it happens, I've been digging around in an old copy of Bretall's anthology of late, so now I'm inspired to disinter Frankl so that I can compare them.

As for the site, I think you can set it up so that you get emails when someone PMs you, but I'm not so sure about emails when a thread is updated. Probably the easiest thing would be to mark the thread and check it on your CP when it shows new posts.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

pkd3001 posted:

Yeah, I actually have a master's degree in philosophy, and what Orwell is getting is one of the deepest philosophical subjects out there. He is writing about the nature of evil, actually and how it happens. The famous political and phenomenological philosopher Hannah Arendt, used the often used, phrase, "banality of evil." This means, that evil happens not always, but sometimes, by psychopaths, but by ordinary people just going with the flow. In Nazi Germany how did the evil happen? It wasn't because the nation was a nation full of psychopaths, but because 30 million Germans were just "going with the flow." If you get enough people to start thinking 2 plus 2 equals, and they have actually done experiments where you get people to believe things they known are not true, then you get lots of evil. The ending is really, really, really, deep.

I've not previously read Arendt, and recently added Origins of Totalitarianism to my wish list, so I was interested to see your post. Have you read her other works, and if so would you suggest starting with a different one (e.g., The Human Condition)? My initial curiosity about Arendt was as a political author (and came in the context of a fair amount of 20th Century history and economics reading), but if she's worthwhile as a purely philosophical author, I'd probably be equally interested in her philosophical work.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 5, 2011

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

pkd3001 posted:

I haven't actually read anything by him yet, but I generally respect him for immediately recognizing Stalinism for the criminal monstrosity that it was, which was not self-evident to many explicitly left-leaning intellectuals at the time. It's the same reason I admire Camus but despise Sartre.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010
Tonight, I'll be starting On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I'm borrowing it from a friend who absolutely raves about it. My mom, an AP English teacher with a huge passion for books, said she didn't like it very much. We'll see. I think I'll like it... said friend and I have very similar tastes.

pkd3001
Jun 5, 2011

Folderol posted:

I've not previously read Arendt, and recently added Origins of Totalitarianism to my wish list, so I was interested to see your post. Have you read her other works, and if so would you suggest starting with a different one (e.g., The Human Condition)? My initial curiosity about Arendt was as a political author (and came in the context of a fair amount of 20th Century history and economics reading), but if she's worthwhile as a purely philosophical author, I'd probably be equally interested in her philosophical work.

Yeah, I have only read "Eichmann in Jerusalem," so I can't really comment on her other works. Sorry. "Eichmann," though was earth shattering at its time, because she was Jewish and called out Jewish leaders for being complicit in some cases for the murder of Jews during WWII. Some Jewish leaders made deals with the Nazi's and this at least contributed to the Holocaust, and many Jewish people were upset with her for this. I think she is mainly a political philosopher though, although she knows lots about phenomenology also. Besides she got it on with Heidegger, and who wouldn't want that. :) She was also critical of Marxism, at a time when criticizing Marxism was not popular among intellectuals, but she wasn't a conservative either. She was a really unique thinker.

Kierkegaard I think was an amazing philosopher, along with Heidegger. I guess I like them, because they are PHILOSOPHERS, if you know what I mean. I sometimes worry that science is going to overtake philosophy and all philosophy will be done gone. I think science misses so much of philosophy though, and their are so many existential questions that science has not touched yet, imo. Maybe science will get there one day, but it doesn't seem like it to me. I mean the facts of the universe, which science provides for us, quite nicely, tells us nothing about philosophical and existential questions, such as meaning, suffering, and awareness of our own death. I think philosophy will always have a place for these questions, or at least I hope they will. Also questions of "being" can't ever be answered science, imo. A scientist might say that is non-sense question, but I don't think it is. Oh, yes, and existential guilt, I am not sure how science can tackle that one also. Maybe it will be able to one day, but not sometime soon, because these seem to be questions of subjectivity rather than objectivity. Well, thanks, for the response. :)

pkd3001
Jun 5, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I haven't actually read anything by him yet, but I generally respect him for immediately recognizing Stalinism for the criminal monstrosity that it was, which was not self-evident to many explicitly left-leaning intellectuals at the time. It's the same reason I admire Camus but despise Sartre.

Yeah, that is what made Orwell so cool. He was more on the left but he wasn't naive to utter horror of communism. He was a non-marxist liberal. Yeah, Camus, was awesome also, I think I like him more than Sartre. "The Rebel," is about the imperfect-ability of society, at least in part, so he was an intellectual, but not trapped in an ivory tower, so to speak.

I mentioned this in another post, but Hannah Arendt, was similar to Orwell, where they both seem to recognize both political extremes have major flaws. This might be a tangent, but where are the centrists in America anymore. It's like I have to choose between the "Tea Party," who are sometimes just apologists for corporations, and their greedy ways, and "progressives" who don't seem to recognize that overall a free market works better than a planned economy. Camus and Orwell maybe were more on the left, but they were no Marxists, which is nice. Oh, and by the way, just to let Tea Party members know, President Obama is not a Marxist, I have friends who are Marxists, and he is not a Marxist. Sorry, this is kind of tangent, but it must be said! I hope your not a Tea Party member, also :)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

pkd3001 posted:

This might be a tangent, but where are the centrists in America anymore. It's like I have to choose between the "Tea Party," who are sometimes just apologists for corporations, and their greedy ways, and "progressives" who don't seem to recognize that overall a free market works better than a planned economy.
What are you talking about? Aside from some very fringe, voiceless parties, everyone takes a free market economy as a given. Given how the whole spectrum has shifted rightward over the past few decades, I don't know how you want to define 'centrist', but both major parties fall in a tight, centrist window. The tea party may have started making some waves in the past couple years, but the overall range of acceptable, electable opinion is still very narrow.

Come to think of it, I don't know what you're looking for at all. Pro free market and anti corporate 'greed' is, at best, an unclear, and at worst, contradictory position to begin with.

To get back on topic, my last purchases are:
Double-wide: The Collected Fiction of Michael Martone
--totally unfamiliar with this guy, but he writes a lot of experimentalist short/short-short fiction, his name cropped up in relation to some respectable names, and it was cheap on amazon. Sounds right up my alley.
Citrus County, John Brandon
--I liked his first book a lot, and for some reason amazon has the hardcover listed for $4.18. No brainer.
Manhood for Amateurs, Michael Chabon
--holy poo poo, the bargain rack at B&N actually had something good. Big fan, already read everything else (save maybe a children's book or two), and I think his fiction style will lend itself well to personal essays.
Day of the Oprichnik, Vladimir Sorokin
--I'm not usually a big futurist/scifi fan, but I keep hearing good things, and I've been meaning to read some russian fiction that postdates the stalin era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

In addition to the novels, George Orwell was also an excellent essayist and journalist; in fact, I far prefer his essays to his fiction. His most well known essays are available online here: http://www.george-orwell.org/l_orwell-essay.html. Check a few of them out, you'll get a better sense of his thinking and what made him important: clear-eyed common sense and decency in the face of party, rhetoric, and violence. To be clear, however, Orwell was certainly not a centrist, he believed wholeheartedly in the promise of socialism, and, like Marx, he believed a revolution was inevitable.

• Locked thread