Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Black Eagle posted:

At the studio level, founders are almost always involved in day-to-day operations. If you're going to avoid working with any of them because of one man, or allegations about one man, I suppose the doors are perpetually open at EA and Activision.

I'm not talking out my rear end - I've never been in a situation where this was good.

I don't generally work at places like EA and Activision, and I know founders are involved, but being the "ideas guy" is a non-starter, even when it's your company. It can easily lead to poo poo like what happened at Bondi.

EDIT: It seems we're in agreement, but poo poo like that makes me really angry.

Backov fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Cue my usual "Hey, come work with me!" post!

Zynga's Boston office is hiring a technical game designer (a design who can code!), a pair of artists (primarily 2d illustration, but there's some 3d work), and a senior engineer (PHP and ActionScript mostly). All positions are local and full-time in Boston. Excellent pay, benefits, etc.

Our project is awesome, and making games for millions of people will blow your mind.

PM me if you've got questions, are interested, or just want to chat.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Andio posted:

Do you have an interview there too?

Edit - I don't particularly feel comfortable elaborating until a decision about the role is made as there may be someone in this thread who has also applied. Is this wrong of me? Possibly.

I don't think is wrong of you, for what it's worth :)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

devilmouse posted:

Zynga's Boston office is hiring a technical game designer (a design who can code!), a pair of artists (primarily 2d illustration, but there's some 3d work), and a senior engineer (PHP and ActionScript mostly). All positions are local and full-time in Boston. Excellent pay, benefits, etc.

Our project is awesome, and making games for millions of people will blow your mind.

I don't have PM's so I hope this type of question is allright. Do you believe it's hopeless for entry level 3D artists to apply for this job if they are from outside of the US?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Odddzy posted:

I don't have PM's so I hope this type of question is allright. Do you believe it's hopeless for entry level 3D artists to apply for this job if they are from outside of the US?

Sadly I don't think that would go over so well, since it's largely an illustration gig with some 3D on the side. We'll do relocation for the right folk, but that's generally senior level and above. Sorry :(

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

devilmouse posted:

Sadly I don't think that would go over so well, since it's largely an illustration gig with some 3D on the side. We'll do relocation for the right folk, but that's generally senior level and above. Sorry :(

Yeah, that's what I figured too, at least it confirms what I thought, thanks!

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind

Sigma-X posted:

I don't think is wrong of you, for what it's worth :)

It's nice to know.

I obviously want the job so I don't want to give anyone else a potential advantage. I think it went really well and was a great experience. Maybe I should be a little more optimistic, we'll see soon enough :)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Sure, give it a week to make sure they go through it all with everyone they're going to, but then I'd be interested in hearing how it went and what they asked.

warburg
Jan 9, 2007

What would be the best way to start a career path in environmental/character modeling? I love drawing but I have little experience with actually 3D modeling. Would it be best for me to just sit down at my computer and teach it myself with tutorials online or are any of the schools worthwhile? My cousin suggested FullSail Game Art Degree since he went to FullSail for music and loved it. I considered going here since it would give me access to all the neat tools needed for modeling. However, reading through this thread and the older ones kinda killed my enthusiasm for attending.

Andio
May 10, 2004

GetWellGamers posted:

Sure, give it a week to make sure they go through it all with everyone they're going to, but then I'd be interested in hearing how it went and what they asked.

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you respond to my PM last week?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

warburg posted:

What would be the best way to start a career path in environmental/character modeling? I love drawing but I have little experience with actually 3D modeling. Would it be best for me to just sit down at my computer and teach it myself with tutorials online or are any of the schools worthwhile? My cousin suggested FullSail Game Art Degree since he went to FullSail for music and loved it. I considered going here since it would give me access to all the neat tools needed for modeling. However, reading through this thread and the older ones kinda killed my enthusiasm for attending.

Fullsail is expensive and isn't going to focus on the fundamentals as much.

I know folks who have gone through it and it isn't a straight diploma mill dumping graduates, but the people who get the most out of it are the people who would do well anywhere, they don't offer anything unique outside of their accelerated learning program, it's certainly a kick in the pants.

I'm not sure if that provides a BA, or not, however.

I think ceebee would advocate for Gnomon pretty hard at this point. VFS also does a pretty good job - I think these two are the high end of "make 3d for games!" schools. Neither offers a BA to my knowledge, however.

I taught myself 3d entirely via tutorials and a fuckload of hard work, and some of the folks I work with are the same way, so it is definitely doable.

I'm not sure I would call it the best, however.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Andio posted:

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you respond to my PM last week?

Because I was packing up about 800 PS2, XBox, and DS games to send out to around 60 hospitals and didn't have the time before your interview came up. v:shobon:v

Andio
May 10, 2004

GetWellGamers posted:

Because I was packing up about 800 PS2, XBox, and DS games to send out to around 60 hospitals and didn't have the time before your interview came up. v:shobon:v

That's just not acceptable! What kind of excuse is that?!

In all seriousness, I feel horrible for even asking now. I'll forgive you.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Carfax Report posted:

Life at Team Bondi http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1179020p1.html Thought this was interesting enough to pass on here.

As someone just about to get their toes wet please tell me this isn't actually the norm...

Also I just wanted to thank all the posters in here for fascinating insights and guidance to us new kids :)

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Sigma-X posted:

Fullsail is expensive and isn't going to focus on the fundamentals as much.

I know folks who have gone through it and it isn't a straight diploma mill dumping graduates, but the people who get the most out of it are the people who would do well anywhere, they don't offer anything unique outside of their accelerated learning program, it's certainly a kick in the pants.

I'm not sure if that provides a BA, or not, however.

I think ceebee would advocate for Gnomon pretty hard at this point. VFS also does a pretty good job - I think these two are the high end of "make 3d for games!" schools. Neither offers a BA to my knowledge, however.

I taught myself 3d entirely via tutorials and a fuckload of hard work, and some of the folks I work with are the same way, so it is definitely doable.

I'm not sure I would call it the best, however.

This got me thinking. I don't live anywhere near any universities that would offer proper courses that I would need to be able to have any skill in this industry. Would Full Sail be an alright alternative for me, since unless I spend a lot of time expending my resources to move somewhere else (I'm married, and recently unemployed, so it's sort of hard for me to relocate until I can secure a full time job wherever I'd want/need to live), or are there better/cheaper places where I can get that same coursework online or have an easier time getting moved out nearby? I'd honestly rather attend a drat college, but right now I don't know if that's an option that I can even consider.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

Gnomon is pretty expensive for not getting an actual diploma. You could look for a place locally, or try to learn some on your own to decide if you really like it. Don't drop a lot of money before you know its something you want to do.

Edit: I did go to a private art school to get my education. Even though it worked out for me, it was still a decent amount of money. I'm hesitant to advocate someone else doing the same just because of how hard it is to get a job outside of school and how much money you have to pay back. I do feel like I got a good education and I don't regret it. It can just be pretty risky. A lot of university and community colleges are starting to get decent game programs now.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 28, 2011

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

Demitri Omni posted:

This got me thinking. I don't live anywhere near any universities that would offer proper courses that I would need to be able to have any skill in this industry. Would Full Sail be an alright alternative for me, since unless I spend a lot of time expending my resources to move somewhere else (I'm married, and recently unemployed, so it's sort of hard for me to relocate until I can secure a full time job wherever I'd want/need to live), or are there better/cheaper places where I can get that same coursework online or have an easier time getting moved out nearby? I'd honestly rather attend a drat college, but right now I don't know if that's an option that I can even consider.
I would try to learn some stuff on your own and see if you like it first before spending thousands on a diploma or degree. Where do you live? There's bound to be a community college nearby. A lot of community colleges in NC offer game and simulation degrees and I believe some in TN do as well. It might not be cutting edge as far as education goes, but it is cheap and introduces you to basic concepts. It also makes you accountable which helps with self learning.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Imajus posted:

I would try to learn some stuff on your own and see if you like it first before spending thousands on a diploma or degree. Where do you live? There's bound to be a community college nearby. A lot of community colleges in NC offer game and simulation degrees and I believe some in TN do as well. It might not be cutting edge as far as education goes, but it is cheap and introduces you to basic concepts. It also makes you accountable which helps with self learning.

If you're going into any kind of artistic aspect (animation, game artist, concept artist, etc) make sure to get a solid set of foundation art skills as well. This means drawing, composition, color theory, etc. This is doubly or triply important for any kind of concept work, for animation is shows good observational skills and a general ability to observe and execute. Art is art and if you apply yourself even an 'okay' class situation can afford you a real opportunity for growth and progress.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I'm not really great at art, I've not tried much 3d modeling but I've not usually been able to get my head around it on my own. I've done a good amount of scripting and level design, but never finished anything since I'm not great at planning on my own. I feel like the only reason I'm NOT learning things is because those around me just plain don't give a poo poo about it. I actually have been talking to a friend from Digipen, and he was telling me that I would probably be a good fit for a BSGD, but it's pretty difficult and not a lot of people make it through that process. He actually complimented me, saying I tend to be modest enough that it would probably work out well for me.

My biggest problem is just not having a good point of reference for this stuff, since most everyone around me doesn't give a poo poo. Kinda lost without direction, if that makes sense.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Alterian posted:

Gnomon is pretty expensive for not getting an actual diploma. You could look for a place locally, or try to learn some on your own to decide if you really like it. Don't drop a lot of money before you know its something you want to do.

I don't think it matters if you get a diploma or not. Sure it gives you more options outside the field you want to work in but is that really what you want to resort to?

I'm done with school at Gnomon and a few days away from my graduation ceremony. If somebody is truely passionate about film VFX I'd recommend they go there because you will meet people and make connections better than any other school I've heard of. However, if you want to be a game artist I can't particularly recommend it for that specifically, the 2 year program will give you all the 3D knowledge that you'll possibly need for VFX. The 3 year program (poo poo gets expensive quick) will give you a good foundation in 2D and 3D, we have some really great traditional instructors here, not many people believe that but the instructors come from instructing at Art Center or are Art Center graduates so you're basically getting an art center education at a fraction of the price.

For becoming a game artist I have to say the best possible route is to either go to a place like FuturePoly or RydanWorkshop alongside getting DVDs from places like Eat3D and 3DMotive. If the two aforementioned schools were around before Gnomon I probably would've went to those instead. My school trained me to be a 3d artist for movies/commercial work with some game art classes scattered here and there, but ultimately my knowledge from video tutorials, Polycount forums, etc is what made me a good game artist.

I agree about trying stuff on your own to see if you like it. We've had a few people drop out because they couldn't handle it (or were just straight up lazy). This industry pretty much hates slackers so if you plan on going into 3D just because you think it might be fun you might want to try it out and see if you can handle it (and if you go to school whether you can handle 6 classes each with 8-12 hours of homework a week for each class) AND on top of that work in your own time and develop your skills/portfolio outside of classes/homework.

This poo poo ain't all fun and games, you better be prepared to work your rear end off if you want to be good.

Demitri Omni posted:

I'm not really great at art, I've not tried much 3d modeling but I've not usually been able to get my head around it on my own. I've done a good amount of scripting and level design, but never finished anything since I'm not great at planning on my own. I feel like the only reason I'm NOT learning things is because those around me just plain don't give a poo poo about it. I actually have been talking to a friend from Digipen, and he was telling me that I would probably be a good fit for a BSGD, but it's pretty difficult and not a lot of people make it through that process. He actually complimented me, saying I tend to be modest enough that it would probably work out well for me.

My biggest problem is just not having a good point of reference for this stuff, since most everyone around me doesn't give a poo poo. Kinda lost without direction, if that makes sense.

Don't make excuses, there are plenty of resources and websites out there for you to learn on your own without school if you can't afford it or can't move to where there are good schools. If you aren't good at planning then try to get better at it, don't just say "welp I suck at this so im not gonna do it". I used to suck at sculpting anatomy but I didn't just say gently caress it I'mma just roll with the punches and try to be a character artist without it. I studied my rear end off, practiced almost every day, and just stuck with it. If you can't find the passion for it on your own then you'll probably just end up loving around at a school (I've seen it happen).

ceebee fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 28, 2011

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

treeboy posted:

As someone just about to get their toes wet please tell me this isn't actually the norm...

Absolutely not. Even by the standards of the "worst" of the industry what's being described here is atrocious. I'm seriously kind of :psyduck: over this article and I cannot understand why McNamara thinks running a studio in this fashion is even a good idea (which he clearly does), let alone acceptable.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Demitri Omni posted:

... so what, exactly, is your skillset?

So far, you're making yourself sound like someone with no drive, no particular talent, that happens to like games and thinks liking games means they'd be fun to make. This is precisely the sort of candidate that never makes it into the industry.

(that may well not be you, but look at the post I'm quoting - sell yourself dude, what are you good at? What fires you up?)

EDIT: DigiPen is not a "make me into an energized game developer" school, it's a program that puts out mostly game programmers of debatable merit (when compared to self-motivating CS grads). Before you decide on a school, you need to figure out what you want to do.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 28, 2011

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

treeboy posted:

Also I just wanted to thank all the posters in here for fascinating insights and guidance to us new kids :)

It's not the norm for any place actually worth their salt. It is the norm if you're working at a start up that's trying to get into the AAA games market.

There will always be crunch though especially in Film and Games. Film actually has more protections in it like more pay in accordance to overtime but Games is still the wild west.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

treeboy posted:

If you're going into any kind of artistic aspect (animation, game artist, concept artist, etc) make sure to get a solid set of foundation art skills as well. This means drawing, composition, color theory, etc. This is doubly or triply important for any kind of concept work, for animation is shows good observational skills and a general ability to observe and execute. Art is art and if you apply yourself even an 'okay' class situation can afford you a real opportunity for growth and progress.

This is true I thought he was past this point, but it looks like he's not.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Shalinor posted:

... so what, exactly, is your skillset?

So far, you're making yourself sound like someone with no drive, no particular talent, that happens to like games and thinks liking games means they'd be fun to make. This is precisely the sort of candidate that never makes it into the industry.

(that may well not be you, but look at the post I'm quoting - sell yourself dude, what are you good at? What fires you up?)

EDIT: DigiPen is not a "make me into an energized game developer" school, it's a program that puts out mostly game programmers of debatable merit (when compared to self-motivating CS grads). Before you decide on a school, you need to figure out what you want to do.

I am really good at building levels (I just have trouble garnering enough ideas for them) and conceptualizing game elements, and have strengths in scripting. I've worked with old OLD programming languages, and showed a lot of promise years ago, but I've never used newer languages past a mediocre Visual Basic course I took. I guess that's a start, I just don't know where to go from here. I really enjoy making things that people enjoy and can use, way back when I was in high school I made programs for different classes on my graphing calculator, and made a few games as well. I even modified existing games and programs that people had that they had downloaded from the internet (which wasn't something I'd reliably have until my junior year), either making them easier for my friends to use, or to make them just plain work better. I had found a few programs people had downloaded that were broken, that I fixed. That sort of stuff. I guess the only reason I don't seem more stoked about it is because I've basically been told how loving dumb it is over the past 5 years, and it's been hell of discouraging. There's more to it, but I've spent the past 15 minutes trying not to make this sound like a livejournal post, and I'm already not doing a great job of it.

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 28, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Demitri Omni posted:

I am really good at building levels (I just have trouble garnering enough ideas for them) and conceptualizing game elements, and have strengths in scripting. I've worked with old OLD programming languages, and showed a lot of promise years ago, but I've never used newer languages past a mediocre Visual Basic course I took. I guess that's a start, I just don't know where to go from here. I really enjoy making things that people enjoy and can use, way back when I was in high school I made programs for different classes on my graphing calculator, and made a few games as well. I even modified existing games and programs that people had that they had downloaded from the internet (which wasn't something I'd reliably have until my junior year), either making them easier for my friends to use, or to make them just plain work better. I had found a few programs people had downloaded that were broken, that I fixed. That sort of stuff. I guess the only reason I don't seem more stoked about it is because I've basically been told how loving dumb it is over the past 5 years, and it's been hell of discouraging. There's more to it, but I've spent the past 15 minutes trying not to make this sound like a livejournal post, and I'm already not doing a great job of it.
You did fine. You still sound beat down, but that's at least better. You're describing a skillset well suited toward tech design, which you'd usually want to start toward by being a programmer first and later move into design - so:

DigiPen wouldn't be an awful option, but ask in here which of the schools is best for coders (I can never remember, FullSail or DigiPen... I think it's DigiPen, right?). For whatever their Game Programmer degree is.

Your other option would be to go for a traditional 4-year CS degree, and teach yourself games on the way.

On the one hand, DigiPen will leave you more in debt and without many options if you burn out of games, on the other, you don't sound up to self motivating and DigiPen may do a nice job of kicking you out of that rut you've dug into. Going the trad CS route requires substantial self-motivation, but is cheaper and leaves you with more non-games options. Both work, though, and much of the stigma surrounding DigiPen programmers has gone away.

If you go in without fixing the mood/motivation problem, you do run the risk of burning out of the program and then being unemployed AND under a mountain of student loan debt. So, do think about it. It isn't stupid regardless, a ton of us make a very good living off of games (AND have fun doing it), so just tell whoever keeps telling you that to gently caress back off into their coal mine job or whatever they do.

EDIT: And allow me to pimp our 6th Annual month long game development contest while I'm at it, since it starts next month. Many have used it to kickstart their careers in game development. Some have gotten jobs entirely due to their entries / submitting that as their portfolio work.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 28, 2011

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

devilmouse posted:

I also don't have PMs, but I'm interested in the game design position. I just got my degree in programming/game design, so I've been looking for an entry level job. My email is operas.in.space@gmail.com

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Shalinor posted:

You did fine. You still sound beat down, but that's at least better. You're describing a skillset well suited toward tech design, which you'd usually want to start toward by being a programmer first and later move into design - so:

DigiPen wouldn't be an awful option, but ask in here which of the schools is best for coders (I can never remember, FullSail or DigiPen... I think it's DigiPen, right?). For whatever their Game Programmer degree is.

Your other option would be to go for a traditional 4-year CS degree, and teach yourself games on the way.

On the one hand, DigiPen will leave you more in debt and without many options if you burn out of games, on the other, you don't sound up to self motivating and DigiPen may do a nice job of kicking you out of that rut you've dug into. Going the trad CS route requires substantial self-motivation, but is cheaper and leaves you with more non-games options. Both work, though, and much of the stigma surrounding DigiPen programmers has gone away.

If you go in without fixing the mood/motivation problem, you do run the risk of burning out of the program and then being unemployed AND under a mountain of student loan debt. So, do think about it. It isn't stupid regardless, a ton of us make a very good living off of games (AND have fun doing it), so just tell whoever keeps telling you that to gently caress back off into their coal mine job or whatever they do.

EDIT: And allow me to pimp our 6th Annual month long game development contest while I'm at it, since it starts next month. Many have used it to kickstart their careers in game development. Some have gotten jobs entirely due to their entries / submitting that as their portfolio work.

Well, from what me and my friend have been talking about, what he suggested (after basically saying 'for most people this is a bad idea but you seem like you would work well') was the Bachelor of Science in Game Design, which is what he is in for, and he says they'll basically kick my rear end trying to make sure I'm cut out for it, and if it isn't something I believe I can do, I can easily switch to the RTIS degree, which is the main programming degree.

As far as burning out on games, every aspect of gaming, the culture, the design aspects, and the industry as a whole, has fascinated me my entire life, since I got my first Amiga at 4 and my NES at 5 or 6. There was an old SHMUP engine on the Amiga I used to use to make lovely adventure games. It's definitely something I want to get into, I promise.

As far as motivation... It's complicated, but a lot of it is self-esteem issues, and I feel that once I'm at least out of a place where people absolutely abhor what I'm trying to do, I'll be better off for it.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Demitri Omni posted:

Well, from what me and my friend have been talking about, what he suggested (after basically saying 'for most people this is a bad idea but you seem like you would work well') was the Bachelor of Science in Game Design, which is what he is in for, and he says they'll basically kick my rear end trying to make sure I'm cut out for it, and if it isn't something I believe I can do, I can easily switch to the RTIS degree, which is the main programming degree.

As far as burning out on games, every aspect of gaming, the culture, the design aspects, and the industry as a whole, has fascinated me my entire life, since I got my first Amiga at 4 and my NES at 5 or 6. There was an old SHMUP engine on the Amiga I used to use to make lovely adventure games. It's definitely something I want to get into, I promise.

As far as motivation... It's complicated, but a lot of it is self-esteem issues, and I feel that once I'm at least out of a place where people absolutely abhor what I'm trying to do, I'll be better off for it.

obligatory recommendation...

Art and Fear: Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking

This book was recommended some 6 months ago to me by this very thread (or rather its predecessor) and it is a quick good read on the thought process behind art and making art and pursuing a dream of a career in art. It's cheap, quick, and excellent. (and mind blowing in an "i knew that but never thought of saying it like that" kinda way)

Console Parade
Aug 20, 2010

devilmouse posted:

Coincidentally, I was bullshitting with some random dude on the street today, and his uncle works for Zynga, and this guy went on and on and on and on about how that's the best place to work ever.
e: I don't think it would work out for me, I don't even have a Facebook account.

Demitri Omni posted:

Apparently I got passed up on a (non-industry) internal dev position because I make games in my spare time and that's for kids. Those unbelievable fuckers. Application submitted to a certain MMO company within 24 hours of hearing the news.

Console Parade fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 28, 2011

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Shalinor posted:

This is true (the risk stuff and kind-of the passion stuff), but I'd still call the games more fun to work on than "the lovely GBA port that no one cared about of that one marginally good primary console game based on a franchise."

It seems like it'd be worth considering as fill work in a small studio, as opposed to leaning on work-for-hire. Flip-flop from core to casual to build up reserves if a core game under-preforms, etc. Pretty sure there are studios out there that do this, just no idea which ones.

I don't have access to any numbers (not even the lead producer does for some weird reason :shobon:), but working as a Big Fish partner makes for a pretty good and stable income source as far as I can see; especially if you can score a Collector's Edition for your games since you'll basically be promoted twice on their site for comparatively little effort. Only problem is being led by the nose by Big Fish on design decisions, which can be a bit aggravating at times when they go back and forth between their recommendations.

If you're not a partner you're free to do what you want, but that's less money in your pocket.

e: I've been running the numbers through my head for a few weeks based on what I've gleaned (still think it's weird that I have to glean that stuff) and if in 2-3 years HO games are still such a stable source of income, I'd absolutely jump on them as a springboard to greater things. Having access to all of the Canadian video game advantages is a nice boon too. For what it's worth though, there's some pretty interesting design opportunities on those HO games, even though it's pretty obvious that the top BFG partner has found a winning formula and is now fiercely milking it for all it's worth.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 28, 2011

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
I've got a phone interview with Irrational Games today for a Senior QA Tester spot. Woo!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mango Polo posted:

e: I've been running the numbers through my head for a few weeks based on what I've gleaned (still think it's weird that I have to glean that stuff) and if in 2-3 years HO games are still such a stable source of income, I'd absolutely jump on them as a springboard to greater things. Having access to all of the Canadian video game advantages is a nice boon too. For what it's worth though, there's some pretty interesting design opportunities on those HO games, even though it's pretty obvious that the top BFG partner has found a winning formula and is now fiercely milking it for all it's worth.
It is indeed frustrating. At least core gaming has the occasional developer that opens up about sales figures, but googling even something like "did this developer consider this game a success" turns up nothing in casual. Maybe the contracts are more severe about sales data leaks, maybe it's just that casual devs don't bother with engaging fans so never release that data in the first place, who knows.

Anywho, yeah, whenever I do up my best-guess numbers for what is there right now, given the known of typical development time and rough known of team size, it... does seem very encouraging. Not explosively amazing, but unless something goes horribly wrong, it seems like it should be more than enough to sustain a small studio doing a mixture of core and casual.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Holy poo poo! I've just been emailed by a game studio that's making me start an art test. Should I start it right away? Tomorrow? How long should I spend on it? It's on the low-rez side of art tests so it shouldn't take too long. They want me to put reflection on the ground because of rain.

Ground reflection: Partially transparent ground allows you to duplicate some objects in order
to fake some reflections.

I don't understand though what they mean, that I should use a cubemap? Should I do some reasearch today on the techniques i'm going to use and work on it tomorrow or is time too much of a luxury? How do I do vertex lighting without willing to kill myself? :(

Oh, do they mean duplicate a mesh, push it over the ''real'' mesh and lower it's opacity?

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 28, 2011

Xinai
Jun 7, 2011

I'm actually not all that angry
I'm going to be going to WPI for Computer Science/'Interactive Media and Game Development' dual major, and I'm glad I read this thread. It's been helpful.
I've been seeing a lot of people comparing various colleges/places for their Video Game courses, anybody have an opinion on WPI?

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any other writers speaking at GDC Online's narrative summit? Or just attending? I want a Game Jobs Megathread party-within-a-party at Ginger Man. We shall drink and laugh heartily over tales of game writing shame and woe!

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Demitri Omni posted:

I am a DigiPen programmer graduate in the RTIS degree and DigiPen works you really hard, but that's how you have to get your mindset into. The biggest thing I always try to emphasize is self-motivation. Playing games and making games are very different. You can roll through the degree and work hard, but if you don't feel like wanting to make your own levels for a game or a new scripted AI or something on the side, then everything DigiPen or any other school offers won't help much. I've seen way too many dropouts because they loved games, but just didn't have the heart to make them.

I don't know much about the game design degree at DigiPen so I can't comment, but I was a programmer and much of us never really liked the game design degree. I don't know how much that's changed.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

Odddzy posted:

Holy poo poo! I've just been emailed by a game studio that's making me start an art test. Should I start it right away? Tomorrow? How long should I spend on it? It's on the low-rez side of art tests so it shouldn't take too long. They want me to put reflection on the ground because of rain.

Ground reflection: Partially transparent ground allows you to duplicate some objects in order
to fake some reflections.

I don't understand though what they mean, that I should use a cubemap? Should I do some reasearch today on the techniques i'm going to use and work on it tomorrow or is time too much of a luxury? How do I do vertex lighting without willing to kill myself? :(

Oh, do they mean duplicate a mesh, push it over the ''real'' mesh and lower it's opacity?
Ha I know which art test you are talking about. Vertex lighting isn't too hard. If you're doing it in max you can use the vertex color modifier and use in it a material. You can also bake out a AO map to vertex colors.

I would do some research and start right away. Take as long as you need to make it really good, but not TOO long. It's better that it is nice and polished than rushed.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Imajus posted:

Ha I know which art test you are talking about. Vertex lighting isn't too hard. If you're doing it in max you can use the vertex color modifier and use in it a material. You can also bake out a AO map to vertex colors.

I would do some research and start right away. Take as long as you need to make it really good, but not TOO long. It's better that it is nice and polished than rushed.

What would you define as too long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

typhus posted:

Any other writers speaking at GDC Online's narrative summit? Or just attending? I want a Game Jobs Megathread party-within-a-party at Ginger Man. We shall drink and laugh heartily over tales of game writing shame and woe!

I'm there. :)