Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Swole must make easily enough money off goons to afford $360 dollars in ads a month... Pillowpants, too.

The amazon thing is just silly but Amazon affiliate stuff ain't no joke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
My boom stand arrived today, and I couldn't be happier with it.

And, why not, here's a pic of the "studio."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Thanks for dealing with the ad stuff krushgroove

Whitefokes
Jan 31, 2009
Episode 16 of my music discussion podcast Lounge Act just got posted. No interviews with musicians, just people sitting around with a few cocktails, talking about music. I am down for anyone as a guest (and I do mean anyone) so if you live in Omaha or have Skype and want to log an episode, that'd be fantastic.
Thanks for the looks in advance and here's to independent broadcasting.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

Two hours daily? Christ on a bike.

It's not that hard, I've been wondering if I should make it 3 hours. HAHAHAHA, just cause we never talk about everything we discuss before the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owC1HtHgMEw

Could I get permission so I can be apart of the Gooncast Group? My user name on Wikidot is WedgeRadio, and I'll donate some cash for the banner.

WedgeRadio fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 4, 2011

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam
A couple of guys and myself started up a podcast a month or so ago. None of us have any real experience, so bags of room for improvement really. It's a tricky one, seeing all the flaws in what you produce but we're having a good time with it so far! It really is a podcast of miscellany, but there is some background discussion and structure. We don't want it to be pinned down to certain areas of discussion (although we always seem to end up on things that look like Hitler?) but at the same time we're well aware that trying to run a show on absolutely anything from one week to the next with no planning would be a complete poo poo storm. Aside from that, there are more practical issues we're still addressing such as sound quality etc, but we're still finding our feet with the whole process as I say.

Our website over at https://www.thinkstuffpodcast.com, as are the rest of the relevant links if anyone wants to check it out.

I'll definitely be giving a few of the podcasts on this thread a listen, I'm a bit of an addict I'm afraid =D

Salty Whiskey fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 5, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just approved 3 new users for the Gooncasts site

Salty Whiskey
Apr 20, 2011

tbh fam

krushgroove posted:

Just approved 3 new users for the Gooncasts site

Within about 30 seconds of me applying to join, no less. Cheers xD

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Just made my wiki page. The only thing is that we're at episode 271, do we need to provide episode names for each episode including links?

http://wedgeradio.wikidot.com/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The wiki page can be whatever you want it to be, probably best to go with a recent 'best of' list of shows so a prospective new listener has a decent idea what the show is about.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

krushgroove posted:

The wiki page can be whatever you want it to be, probably best to go with a recent 'best of' list of shows so a prospective new listener has a decent idea what the show is about.

What about the best of from Youtube?

https://wedgeradio.wikidot.com

https://wedgeradio.net

and the segment we did about comparing Religion to Masturbating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfiXJ9ivMVI

WedgeRadio fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 7, 2011

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
It's your page :) Initially I had all the episodes we had done, but then just pared it down to the best several.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I don't know if anyone stuck with my show after the workshop but I recorded what I thought was a really good episode last week. Also, if there are any fans of Marble Hornets out there, there is a special guest on the previous two episodes (22, 23).

https://www.deadideavalhalla.com

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Your show is a regular highlight of my week, Capm.

I've decided to consolidate my podcasts into one single site, which gives me the ability to add more shows and make it a bonafide network down the line.

It's all happening at duckfeed.tv *Mentos smile*

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 14, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Your show is a regular highlight of my week, Capm.

I've decided to consolidate my podcasts into one single site, which gives me the ability to add more shows and make it a bonafide network down the line.

It's all happening at duckfeed.tv *Mentos smile*

Aw, thanks man. I have gone back to several of your shows too. My sperglordism makes me want to listen to shows from the beginning but I am starting to resist and just say current.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

If it makes you feel better, the majority of my audience is made up of people that I (or my co-hosts) know personally in some way. The donations feel somewhat like charity, but I know that they listen on the reg so it's not out of nowhere.

Secret to making money off of a podcast: Crassly beg your friends for money.

I know this won't apply to everyone but I've made some money for Role Playing Public Radio by doing ransom projects. I wrote a blog post about the first one I did in 2009. http://www.slangdesign.com/2009/06/blog/the-story-behind-the-new-world-primer/

In our case, a lot of contributions were made so the hardcore listeners could get early access to our Actual Play podcast episodes. This is our kickstarter for the latest project we did: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rosspayton/ruins-of-lemuria-a-new-world-dandd-campaign-source

We're about ready to release the PDF for the Ruins of Lemuria. It's about 17,000 words and fully illustrated and it will be free when it's released so everyone wins.

Anyway, a kickstarter with some kind of ransom project as a reward might be a way to get paid for podcasting.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's pretty cool - it might be something for me and my 'casting partner to look into as we move into filming. I play D&D but don't have the time/energy to put into DMing, much less make up an RPG setting. Our podcast is more of a personal, two-guys-shooting-the-poo poo type of show but was/is meant to be a jumping-off point for video stuff on YouTube.

Actually this is a good time to mention the other podcast I make regular appearances on: http://logjampodcast.com/

My fellow Digital Porridge podcaster is 1/3rd of this show, which is more of a collection of recent 'weird news' type stuff with a very funky twist: it's presented as a time capsule for people in the future to listen to, so they can learn about what the world was like.

I appear as the American correspondent on most shows (talking about Thanksgiving, Christmas, the 4th of July, etc.), and the most recent show had a visit to my 'home' to discuss the 'pole dancers for Jesus' news story that came out a while back. An upcoming show had me as a replacement host, and was really really good from my end (if I may say so) because I wasn't worried about any of the producing/timing poo poo that's usually going on in the back of my mind.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
We had an amazing episode for Tuesday, we went from the woman who put a hit out on her baby's daddy to 1 man 1 jar. It turned into one of those magical flow of the mind.

http://wedgeradio.net/

Hoping to have several segments from today's show on Youtube later this week.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I am really down in the dumps tonight, guys. I got an email midday asking me if I wanted to get into Earwolf's podcast contest as an alternate because someone dropped out. I responded right away but realized I was responding from the email they'd sent the invite to. So I sent one from that email address when I realized my error and they got back to me right away saying I was too late. They got someone else. They did say they really liked my podcast but man... I am DEPRESSED about it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

I am really down in the dumps tonight, guys. I got an email midday asking me if I wanted to get into Earwolf's podcast contest as an alternate because someone dropped out. I responded right away but realized I was responding from the email they'd sent the invite to. So I sent one from that email address when I realized my error and they got back to me right away saying I was too late. They got someone else. They did say they really liked my podcast but man... I am DEPRESSED about it.

Oh my, Lou, that loving sucks. I'm sorry man. Huge opportunity there. There will be others though, you're on the cusp, just keep fighting the good fight.

EDIT: Just got my rejection letter. You did better than I did!

Woffle fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 19, 2011

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007

King Lou posted:

That sucks, man. Fingers crossed that this means you're in for sure next time something like this comes up.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks guys. Funny thing was I got my entry to the contest in late. They picked me from their Earwolf buy in ads page if you can imagine that. The "yourcast" directory.

I personally doubt there will be another one of these contests anytime soon. Maybe I'll hear about it before the deadline next time.

Thanks again, guys. Sorry you got the rejection letter capm!

What really cheeses me is that The F Plus got in. So my main, albeit friendly, competition is doing it. Blahhhh

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Thanks guys. Funny thing was I got my entry to the contest in late. They picked me from their Earwolf buy in ads page if you can imagine that. The "yourcast" directory.

I personally doubt there will be another one of these contests anytime soon. Maybe I'll hear about it before the deadline next time.

Thanks again, guys. Sorry you got the rejection letter capm!

What really cheeses me is that The F Plus got in. So my main, albeit friendly, competition is doing it. Blahhhh

Not to rag on anyone but I like your show a lot more than I like the F Plus. Sad times, but it shows you're on the right track.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Someone on Reddit talked up my show so I got a pretty huge number of hits and downloads. Nice surprise. I've been in the podcastle dungeon for a bit, nursing some blues.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Could I get the in at Gooncasts' Wiki?

or am I missing something?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

That's great, Capm. I've been posting my stuff on Reddit, but I don't think that's quite how to ride the wave.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, I post on reddit and its really hit or miss if I see any traffic. Much like digg its really a circle jerk there sometimes. You get down votes for no reason just because someone else has a similar story or doesn't like you or whatever. But if someone respected posts to you then all of a sudden BOOM. I just don't have the time to get into the circles to start the jerking.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The new episode of Those drat Ross Kids just went up. It's... Weird.

http://duckfeed.tv/tdrk/33/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

WedgeEC posted:

Could I get the in at Gooncasts' Wiki?

or am I missing something?

Sent you an approval message!

BTW I've been seeing the ad a lot the past couple of days while browsing the forums, yippee for us :)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Yeah, I post on reddit and its really hit or miss if I see any traffic. Much like digg its really a circle jerk there sometimes. You get down votes for no reason just because someone else has a similar story or doesn't like you or whatever. But if someone respected posts to you then all of a sudden BOOM. I just don't have the time to get into the circles to start the jerking.

I definitely don't have the time for any more circle jerks and we'll see who keeps picking up the show from that one burst, but it was still nice.

BTW: super secret shoutout to one of the other goon casts in this sundays DIV! See if you can spot it.

EDIT: Shout out had to be pushed back to a later episode. Dang.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 1, 2011

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
So, I did the Reddit thing, because I have no shame, and my segment on Youtube about Incest and Horses went from 2 views (with no advertisement or mention of the video) to 132 with one post a day ago... Perhaps it's an avenue I hadn't thought of really. It just shouldn't be abused, I'd suggest making a fake name that seems to just be a fan. HAHAHAHA.

BEE TEE DOUBLE U - Here is the Incest and Horses Segment, it's actually quite disturbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdwTPH9JrOM

OH and we're celebrating our 300th episode the 15th of July, and suggestions of things to do? I know I could call or get audio from people who have been on the show before with a congratulations or some poo poo, but anything else?

WedgeRadio fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 1, 2011

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I might start a podcast with another dude from work Uhh Yeah Dude style. I don't want to seem like a rip off though so I'm trying to think of ways to mix it up.

What are some tips you guys recommend for getting into this hobby? Also what's all of the essential equipment and software to record a good sounding podcast?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Tips: Listen to podcasts, a lot. Don't be afraid to suck, and don't get discouraged if it's only your friends who listen for a while. Be ready to keep up a semi-regular release schedule, and be ready to do the work.

Equipment: I'm not sure what your recording logistics are. If you're both on Skype, you could probably get away with a couple of USB headsets.

I like Logic for editing my files, but that's expensive. If you have a Mac, Garageband will work just fine for a long time. If you're on Windows, you might want to try Audacity. It's not great, but neither are many of the paid apps you'll find (IMO).

If you want to both record in the same room, you don't have much choice other than to buy an interface (like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro) and a couple of mics. This is a better, more expandable solution (you're not stuck with those mics forever), but also quite expensive.

As for equipment, Dan Benjamin will never steer you wrong. http://hivelogic.com/articles/podcasting-equipment-software-guide-2011/

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I just switched to mac editing and I still use Audacity. There are some basic functions Garage Band (at least my old version of it) lacks. Mac Audacity is a lot more stable.

I think the biggest tip I could give someone doing that sort of podcast would be Don't Be Afraid to Edit. If your show is just 90 minutes of a couple of dudes talking, there will probably be swathes of cutable boring material. I generally like shorter shows, so I'm a little biased, but I'd be much more likely to listen to a lot more of those style shows if they were a half hour conversation that was all gold rather than 45 minutes of OK material and 45 minutes of boring stuff/struggling to come up with things to talk about.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

RustyTrombone posted:

I might start a podcast with another dude from work Uhh Yeah Dude style. I don't want to seem like a rip off though so I'm trying to think of ways to mix it up.

What are some tips you guys recommend for getting into this hobby? Also what's all of the essential equipment and software to record a good sounding podcast?

I would say equipment is based on the need. What do you need to do? You'll find yourself going through equipment, if you're steady with it, as time chugs along. Don't be intimidated by it or those douche bags at music stores.

OH, and you're show is going to suck. No offense, but it will. I think I hit year 3 when it clicked in for me. Next Friday is actually my 300th episode. Anybody have any ideas for a celebratory audio pat on the back?

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007

If you want to both record in the same room, you don't have much choice other than to buy an interface (like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro) and a couple of mics. This is a better, more expandable solution (you're not stuck with those mics forever), but also quite expensive.

My podcast usually records with five people in the same room, and after a few episodes done with just a stereo mic in the middle of the table, we bought a Zoom R16 multitrack recorder used off eBay. It is awesome (sounds great, records eight simultaneous tracks to SD!) and we love it. It's basically an entire audio studio in a box. The one annoying thing is that it's only meant to work with real mics, not PC/voip headsets, so we're still trying to figure out a mic setup that will give us decent isolation on each track for not too much money.

Also, figure out a structure you can use to move the conversation along when it gets slow, and don't be afraid to edit ruthlessly. Particularly when you're starting out, you want people to hear the best and only the best material. We use about a quarter of what we record, and I often want to cut out even more than that.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The nice thing about the Ruthless Editing Habit is that you eventually learn about the mistakes you make. Verbal tics, annoying/inappropriate laughter, conversational train wrecks, etc. After that happens, you get a better ear for getting it right the first time.

I used to spend hours editing my podcasts down, but I feel that we're to a point where I don't have to take out every breath or constantly pare down the conversation. Used to be I'd only use half of what we took in. Now I set a timer while we're recording, stop us when we reach that time, and there's only about 15 minutes of variance.

Godsavethefritos
Jan 20, 2008
I'm inspired to get together with my buddy and continue our defunct college radio show in podcast form. I'll have to get together with him to figure out a name but you guys will be the first to know when we start. It will probably be two dudes talking about funny stuff on the internet, in life, and talking about comic books. We'll see.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Hey podcast nerds. I just stumbled onto a new podcasting opportunity.

http://www.reddit.com/r/talkradioreddit/

I guess the reddit radio has been around for 2 years but the talk radio thing has only been around a month or so. They are trying to figure out a lineup and so on right now and are taking applications.

Check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Thanks, Lou. I'll be putting both of mine up for consideration.