Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Should have panned a little to the right on the first to give the sign some space but I like it otherwise.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
A couple of photos from my recent trip home to visit my family in central New York.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Just some Norwegian nature:

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Reichstag posted:

This is well nice; what film were you using for these?

Here's a few from a working holiday in Croatia:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

SAD crosspostin'

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 29, 2011

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

aliencowboy posted:

SAD crosspostin'

I really like the processing on the first. Not as big of a fan of the second.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Falco posted:

I really like the processing on the first. Not as big of a fan of the second.

Yeah. I was staring at it long enough in Photoshop last night that it was tough to tell which one worked better, so I just posted them both. Looking at it today, I like the coloured version a lot more.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Scatterfold posted:

This is well nice; what film were you using for these?

The one you quoted and the Tree are Ektar 100, the house is Astia 100, and the road is Kodak 400UC.
I can't decide if I like this shot (Ektar) of the road better.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting from SAD

Misty Morning by alkanphel, on Flickr

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Dread Head posted:

I love the color of the sky and clouds in this one.

xzzy posted:

They probably are.. mountains have a huge effect on shaping winds, and if surface air get pushed upwards, can trigger cloud formation.

It might just be coincidence in this particular image, but google lenticular clouds sometime. They can be pretty dramatic.

Thanks to wikipedia and an entire morning slacking off at work, I now know way more about clouds than I probably should.

We did notice that the clouds seemed 'attracted' to the central mountain - the day it stormed, all the storm clouds were gradually pulled towards it before burning up. Given there isnt really any other land around for hundreds of miles, it makes sense I guess.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 1, 2011

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Crashing waves by xxyzz road, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 1, 2011

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Bixby Bridge by xxyzz road, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

zapateria posted:

Just some Norwegian nature:

Oh wow, the composition is spot on in this one :allears:

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Hotwax Residue posted:

New Zealand

Wow, awesome. Long exposures? What filters?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Spent a week in Glacier National Park. Most beautiful place I've ever been.

An aside, I have before put a lot of pressure on myself to shoot a lot of photos in places like this. I did not do that this time, and I made many more photos I like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanjou/sets/72157626975374631/show/with/5894326373

A couple of my favorites here, please view the rest on flickr. I hope you enjoy. I may make a separate thread in a bit and talk about backcountry hiking for photography and what went into these.

Sunset on Lake Mcdonald by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

Dusk at Lake McDonald by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

Saint Mary Lake by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

A couple of my favorites here, please view the rest on flickr. I hope you enjoy. I may make a separate thread in a bit and talk about backcountry hiking for photography and what went into these.

Please do. I'm planning on going to Glacier in August. Due to time constraints I'll only be there a couple days (and won't be doing much, if any, backcountry hiking) but would appreciate any tips you could give on visiting.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Wow, awesome. Long exposures? What filters?
Thanks, yeah all long exposures using a 10 stop ND.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Richardson Mountains by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Tombstone Valley by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Mount Minto/Snafu Lake by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Ripon Landscape by avoyer, on Flickr

I'm having a hard time with landscapes, I think I'm giving it too much thought? I will try to longer exposure during sunset hours this week :)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

An aside, I have before put a lot of pressure on myself to shoot a lot of photos in places like this. I did not do that this time, and I made many more photos I like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanjou/sets/72157626975374631/show/with/5894326373

Sunset on Lake Mcdonald by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

Dusk at Lake McDonald by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

Saint Mary Lake by Bryan Cook, on Flickr

The quality of light in these are amazing. Good work.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
your processing is fantastic

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

aliencowboy posted:

I like this.

Dread Head posted:

Son you gotta expand yo mind. Technically your photos are generally pretty good. However, just pointing a camera at water and letting the shutter stay open for a while does not yield an interesting photo. You need to hear this. It's cool you're interested in the movement of water, but your photos don't show much thought. You may be thinking about the photos a lot, but it's not coming through. I'm not sure how to expand further upon this, which is unfortunate, because you clearly have access to some beautiful places and the desire to make some great photos.

Perhaps you need to edit more selectively? If you're very interested in long exposures, use that experience in other areas? I hope other people can chime in here.

--

I'll post a thread tomorrow about the photos. Thanks for your kind words.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Tumult of granite by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Auditore fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 5, 2011

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
whoops...

That's better:

Sunset at the Greig Lake Dock by bernsai, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 6, 2011

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

xenilk posted:

Ripon Landscape by avoyer, on Flickr

I'm having a hard time with landscapes, I think I'm giving it too much thought? I will try to longer exposure during sunset hours this week :)
Sunset hours would probably help, the lighting in this one seems really, really uniform. Probably hard to do anything with without some wacky processing.

Also for Dread Head, I feel the same way as Jay does. One perspective shift that may do some good is using a moderate telephoto lens for landscapes. Do you feel you're in a stylistic rut at all? Would like to hear your opinion before expanding on this.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Well, was going to respond last night then my internet ate poo poo.

I do feel like I have been taking too many water fall/stream photos so I had been trying to avoid them. Those last 3 are from a trip I was on down in Panama and we hiked into a place that had water falls so I was going to shoot them. I feel like it is sometimes difficult to make waterfalls interesting, specially if you shoot them on a semi regular basis and I am not really sure how to change that. There really is only so much you can do, I am all up for suggestions.

What would you change on those last shots or what are they missing?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Something I've started doing is focusing on forms/textures and less on the subject per se. To explain, when photographing Little Chief I didn't think "Show a mountain." It was beautiful to see, of course, and the clouds flowing over it were great (I'll come back to this), but I focused on the texture of the mountain against the cloud, and composed the shot forgetting it was really a mountain and instead focusing on the shape of the two together. The rule of thirds is often floating through my mind, too. I could have used the 20mm and shown the whole vista, but I chose the single most interesting thing and concentrated on it.

My square crop kick is also something that seems to make it easier to focus on shapes/textures. I also shoot with a 50mm a lot, forcing me to isolate subject areas in some cases. East Lake's suggestion of a telephoto lens is similar, though that may be harder. Or easier! I don't know what will work for you.

Now, as for the flowing cloud thing. If I had a stack of ND filters it would have been fantastic to shoot a long exposure of these clouds blowing over the mountain. Would have been a hugely different feel. This is kind of what I was after earlier; you like motion and showing it through long exposures, try exploring that without the water. Lots of things move.

Don't be afraid to fail.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 6, 2011

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

To me it seems like you should keep taking those waterfall pictures but avoid looking toward this method/process as a way to advance your skill with photography. Taking those shots to remember your trip is reason enough to keep doing it but if I were to open up outdoor photography magazine or something similar I'd see legions of dudes taking similar pics. This certainly does your style no favors. I tried searching through National Geographic's stock site to find waterfall images I thought were more imaginative but didn't find much that caught my eye, though I'm sure they're out there. I did find this though.

Photographer is some guy I didn't bother to write down.

The image is very literal, almost like what you'd remember if you had walked through that area. If you had posted it here I wouldn't have thought twice about it. The two big things I always worry about are composition and establishing an atmosphere that is unique. While it's probably oversimplifying it I feel the above shot does suffer from having way too much to look at, same thing crossed my mind when I saw your last three images. There's tons of elements to segment the images and break apart my focus on anything. Rocks, branches, wood, water, waterfall, all occupying a small space in the image fighting for dominance, this picture of yours doesn't have the same issue. A print may have more bite and nuance but at these sizes I feel detail is also being squashed by the wide-angle view. The lighting is also pretty drab, only an isolated part in your second image catches my eye in regards to lighting, slightly behind the closest tree branch where it darkens and looks cave-like. Sometimes I'll stumble onto a nice landscape and find no way to compose it well enough to do it justice, and maybe it's worth taking the picture anyway but at the same time you have to move on knowing that at that point in time there wasn't much you could do to make a successful image out of it.

Establishing your own unique processing style (lighting still is still extremely important!) is a bitch, at least for me, but I know that learning lightroom and ps inside and out is not something I should ignore, even though I'm currently doing that with slide films. I hate sitting at the comp too long to learn what seems like a b.s. in Photoshop Sciences, hopefully slowly learning one function at a time will help! I think the overall atmosphere/processing really separates a lot of the great photographers from everyone else. Once you establish a distinct look I think you'd find it would help with shots like your most recent three.

This one is from Michael Kenna.

And this one is from 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 2001 snapshot really doesn't do it justice but you can see how these are composed in a similar manner. The mood in each is very different though, enough that you wouldn't think one is all that similar to the other. You don't often see landscapes like the ones above, and for good reason, it takes a great amount of vision and steps to get those results, heck the 2001 shot might be a matte painting, I don't know! But it's within our ability to create scenes that are as unique as these. They don't have to be as heavily separated from real life either, subtle alterations are fine as long as you're confident with the look. I think it's important to think about what kind of image you'd produce if you had no obstacle in realizing it, even something with no physical counterpart. Maybe an alien landscape that only exists within your head, then think about how you'd get a similar processing style and quality of lighting in the real world. Then you might know where your style should go, or maybe you'll still be as uncertain as everyone else, who knows!

Alright I rambled quite a bit but I hope what I said was of some use, I'm pretty clueless in a lot of ways myself so maybe if we post enough nonsense we'll figure something out. :allears:

East Lake fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 6, 2011

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Just to add to what Jay said, since you clearly also like landscape photos of the coastal areas, why not try going to the same locations a while after sunset (or get one of these), then you can extend the exposure to a matter of minutes which completely destroys the shape in clouds and makes all sea swell into mist. Here's an example by a famous landscape photographer.

Not an entire change, but possibly something you may want to explore for some variation.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Thanks for the replies, to tell you the truth I am feeling a little uninspired right now. Not overly happy with my shots lately but it seems like this happens in cycles, hope something will come along...

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
I recently read this book by Bryan Peterson. One of his tips was looking for another photo within a photo you have just taken. It does not always apply, but it can be a good way to get cleaner, stronger compositions. An example from me:

btw I didn't get much else from the book.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Dread Head posted:

Thanks for the replies, to tell you the truth I am feeling a little uninspired right now. Not overly happy with my shots lately but it seems like this happens in cycles, hope something will come along...
Sometimes this just happens. It will pass, as long as you make an effort to help it do so.

Hotwax Residue posted:

One of his tips was looking for another photo within a photo you have just taken. It does not always apply, but it can be a good way to get cleaner, stronger compositions.
This is also great advice. I have a lot of shots that I made this way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dread Head posted:

I had a music teacher once offer the idea that when you get bored, you're on the verge of learning something new, or moving to the "next level". I have doubts it's completely true, but the advice has been helpful for getting through the slumps because it keeps me on the lookout for inspiration.

With photography, my MO is to find some pictures by other photographers I really like, and try to copy what they did in a different scene. It at least keeps the wheels turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01