Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Paul Pot posted:

last question, how do lace up gloves work in practice? at least around here, i've never seen anyone with a pair. i always thought they were impossible to take on/off quickly (needed for padwork), but i read you can have them tied moderately tight and slip in and out. apparently they still offer better wrist support than velcro this way...i read this on sherdog, so i definitely want a 2nd opinion.

thanks man

get that stretchable shock cable they sell at sports stores that do mountain climbing and stuff and lace your gloves with that. it's way easier getting in and out of the gloves that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

worst randori partner ever last night. green belt smaller than me.

refused to grip. consistently tried to drop seoinage me. without a grip. he would just start turning and dropping, hoping to catch my sleeve on the way down. I wasn't even fighting super hard, he was just a lame partner.

Oh, he also started trying to double leg me after falling down. Almost injured me when he dove straight into my knee. Sigh. Otherwise an alright practice.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I have THE BEST GRIP tm. I can open any jar that was ever created, no one can even think about escaping once I catch them, I can crush anyones hand during what they thought would be a casual handshake, the world is mine! My forearms are now as big as my biceps! Fear my grip bitches FEAR IT!

In other news, I'm so happy because I found a place to train this summer. Only once a week, but that's still much better than being off for 2 months. Gonna focus on my conditioning for the summer.

Thoguh posted:

Teaching stuff makes you really sit back and understand stuff so much better, because you have to sit down (figuratively) and think through every single step of the technique and identify what you are doing wrong and how to correct it. When I started teaching is really when I started truly understanding, rather than just doing, techniques.

This is 100% true for anything in life. I'm a high school teacher and I found that teaching stuff is really the best way to learn them.

I love it when our coach "forces" us to show a technique to the rest of the group. He'll say something like : ok so we're going to work on chokes. And then everyone pairs up with someone and we all have to show a technique of our choice to the rest of the group and he'll correct us when we gently caress up. I always find that really helpful.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 26, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

worst randori partner ever last night. green belt smaller than me.

refused to grip. consistently tried to drop seoinage me. without a grip. he would just start turning and dropping, hoping to catch my sleeve on the way down. I wasn't even fighting super hard, he was just a lame partner.

Oh, he also started trying to double leg me after falling down. Almost injured me when he dove straight into my knee. Sigh. Otherwise an alright practice.

Look at the upside. People like that either either change for the better or quit after their first tournament.

Randori =/ Competition is not always an easy thing for people to grasp. But either they do after a few months or they move on.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

awkward_turtle posted:

Aren't you a white belt still? I was in the same position for a while as a blue belt.

I'm a BJJ white belt, yes, but I have a green (oooo!) belt in TJJ, and I've been training at this club for about two and a half years, so I do have some seniority over a lot of other people there, if nothing else.

I guess preparation (and motivation to sit down and prepare) is key.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm a BJJ white belt, yes, but I have a green (oooo!) belt in TJJ, and I've been training at this club for about two and a half years, so I do have some seniority over a lot of other people there, if nothing else.

I guess preparation (and motivation to sit down and prepare) is key.

It's really cool what you've done, you know I went down the same path over the last year :) The thing with teachers authority is interesting. When you are over there basically telling other people what to do they'll just... listen and do it. The most difficult thing is not somehow, maybe magically, acquiring the expertise to teach and instruct, the most difficult thing is just the act of walking in front of 30 other people and then tell them what to do and why.

A lot of people I've "instructed" are more experienced, accomplished and bluntly would kick my rear end if that mattered, but I try to take holding a class a service, a structure I can provide and try to share some of the fun I've had. Of course there isn't a single thing I've come up on "on my own", I just copy (what I think) are the best things others have done when they were trying to teach me. Sit down, think about the class and what it's trying to achieve, write it down and go have fun with it. Surprisingly it seems to work quite well.

Also when you teach newer people or complete beginners, they couldn't even tell if you were nervous or unsure about something... they are already too horrified about being there to notice.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 26, 2011

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Muay Thai guys- any recommended hand-wrapping methods? The one I use doesn't seem to hold up very well.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Muay Thai guys - I'm hoping to get your medical expertise.

Two weeks ago, we were doing round kick defenses and my shin hit a guy's elbow so that the point drove in pretty deep, even with shin guards. It hurt like hell at the time, swelled up a bit and I didn't kick anything for a week.

A week later, I was doing some bag work at the gym. My shin wasn't swollen, it wasn't visibly bruised and it wasn't hurting at all doing regular activity, so I throw one kick at the heavy bag and horrible sharp pain ensued on my shin. No more kicks that day, shin swells up.

Another week passes, no kicks. Heavy bag work again. Shin's not swollen, not bruised. I throw a right round kick. Horrible, stop-the-workout and cringe pain.

What the gently caress? Did I get a fracture or a bone-bruise or something? Is there anything I can do besides just not throw kicks?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Himuro posted:

The aikido post in the op is the exact kind of martial art I'm looking for. My vices tend to be Kung Fu and tai chi. Anyone got any good inspirational stories or quotes in regards to those styles similar to that aikido quote? There's a kung Fu school nearby and I plan on dropping by to see about a lesson to see how I like it.

Learning how to do a kung fu routine, which is pretty much a kata for lack of a more accurate commonly known term, can improve your balance and fitness. If you manage to gain anything mental as far as self-confidence, introspection, etc., that is great.

I think where lots of people in this thread get uncomfortable is if you (a novice) are taught that certain impractical things have a fighting application. It is a disservice to teach that snake oil to students who don't know any better. If you are not interested in learning how to fight and can maintain a healthy degree of skepticism toward saying that any move has incredible combat applications, then kung fu or tai chi can be good for you. I thin it's a rare kung fu school that doesn't does in at least some snake oil, though. That site you linked seems questionable, but I guess you won't know for sure without checking it out.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Himuro posted:

The aikido post in the op is the exact kind of martial art I'm looking for. My vices tend to be Kung Fu and tai chi. Anyone got any good inspirational stories or quotes in regards to those styles similar to that aikido quote? There's a kung Fu school nearby and I plan on dropping by to see about a lesson to see how I like it.

Do you mean the bit about "I never learned to be an rear end-kicking machine; nor did I ever want to be one. What I did learn though was more of a philosophy, a way of being and walking through life. There was plenty of cool poo poo and exercise too."?

In my experience, that's totally instructor-dependent. The popular school of thought (especially strong in this particular thread) seems to be that if it's not useful, it's bullshit and you shouldn't waste your time on it. A very practical, utilitarian approach that emphasizes the "martial" over the "art."

I've met people who do aikido in line with that quote (the person who taught me was one of them); I've also met people who treat aikido like a real martial art and blend in striking techniques. Kendo has a "better yourself" component (人間形成) and a sports/competitive component; many schools here in Japan focus on the competitive side. Mine focused on the former.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tarepanda posted:

Kendo has a "better yourself" component (人間形成) and a sports/competitive component; many schools here in Japan focus on the competitive side. Mine focused on the former.

On that vein, I've always loved Jigoro Kano's Five Principles of Judo as a huge complement to sport Judo even for people who only care about competition. I think they do a great job of summing up what I carry with me from all those hours working out, even when I'm miles away from the nearest tatami.

Jigoro Kano posted:

1. Carefully observe oneself and one's situation, carefully observe others, and carefully observe one's environment,
2. Seize the initiative in whatever you undertake,
3. Consider fully, act decisively,
4. Know when to stop,
5. Keep to the middle.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

tarepanda posted:

Do you mean the bit about "I never learned to be an rear end-kicking machine; nor did I ever want to be one. What I did learn though was more of a philosophy, a way of being and walking through life. There was plenty of cool poo poo and exercise too."?

In my experience, that's totally instructor-dependent. The popular school of thought (especially strong in this particular thread) seems to be that if it's not useful, it's bullshit and you shouldn't waste your time on it. A very practical, utilitarian approach that emphasizes the "martial" over the "art."

I've met people who do aikido in line with that quote (the person who taught me was one of them); I've also met people who treat aikido like a real martial art and blend in striking techniques. Kendo has a "better yourself" component (人間形成) and a sports/competitive component; many schools here in Japan focus on the competitive side. Mine focused on the former.

Yes, that's exactly the kind of martial art I'm interested in. I'm interested in martial arts to gain more discipline, get some exercise (it seems like a more fun alternative to the gym to me...), meet some people and learn some cool stuff/fighting in the mean time.

The kung fu school I linked to is competitive and participates in competitions but I'm not sure if it's really practical in terms of use.

I guess I should try somewhere else if I'm interested in the more social, more personal aspects of martial arts than the the "kick rear end" aspect.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I'm confused how a post about aikido inspires someone to try kungfu. Other than that, I really enjoy my aikido classes, but I agree that it very much depends on who you practice with. One of the big selling points of aikido for me is that I can still practice it while I get injured in judo(which has been happening a lot since I started).

I practice with a very tight group of guys that have been doing it since they were 13-15 and are now in their 30s-40s. The dojo is not run for profit and everyone just pays dues so we can pay rent for the space. Going to seminars and visiting different dojos is also a good thing, everyone's style is so different that you always notice something new and mind blowing.

I hate how Aikido gets a bad rep on the web because it looks flashy and 'unrealistic'. I know it's completely anecdotal, but the only time I got in dangerous street situation and was fearing for my safety, I was able to use what I learned in aikido to cause some pain and get myself out.

Speaking of street fights, my best story is actually of my father. He was a pretty good greco-roman wrestler in his youth and ended up in a somewhat similar situation to me. He was walking home late at night after a date when two thugs decided to harass him. He took a pen out of his breast pocket and stabbed one of them right in the eye.

Back to what I was saying about Aikido.. I have things I am critical about; I think the slow learning curve is largely because of inefficient teaching methods and there's a lot of spiritual bullshit, as well as people who are looking to practice something exotic, but don't want to suffer the pain of actually learning, and end up butchering it. Overall I've had a very good experience with it over the years, both in and out of the dojo.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

CaptainScraps posted:

What the gently caress? Did I get a fracture or a bone-bruise or something? Is there anything I can do besides just not throw kicks?

It's doctor time. Stop guessing and wondering, go speak to a doctor and get an x-ray done.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Himuro posted:

Yes, that's exactly the kind of martial art I'm interested in. I'm interested in martial arts to gain more discipline, get some exercise (it seems like a more fun alternative to the gym to me...), meet some people and learn some cool stuff/fighting in the mean time.

You'll definitely have to watch some classes and talk to the instructor(s) to get the feel for that. Like I said before, it's more of an instructor style thing than an art thing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

zalmoxes posted:

I'm confused how a post about aikido inspires someone to try kungfu.

I didn't say the Aikido post inspired me to want to take kung fu. I've been meaning to for a while, but the post inspired me in general. I have interest in Aikido, but not as much as kung fu.

tarepanda posted:

You'll definitely have to watch some classes and talk to the instructor(s) to get the feel for that. Like I said before, it's more of an instructor style thing than an art thing.

Thanks.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

CaptainScraps posted:

A week later, I was doing some bag work at the gym. My shin wasn't swollen, it wasn't visibly bruised and it wasn't hurting at all doing regular activity, so I throw one kick at the heavy bag and horrible sharp pain ensued on my shin. No more kicks that day, shin swells up.

Is it the bone that's hurting or the muscle?

A hematoma inside the tibialis anterior muscle isn't dangerous but it hurts like gently caress and it takes forever to heal.

If it's the bone that's hurting, doctor time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My instructor's old friend and his brother just moved here from NY, and I found out they know capoeria. I'm now dead set on convincing them to teach it after normal class.

I want to spin and carwheel and dance damnit.

aendarasi
Oct 2, 2007
no relation

Himuro posted:

Oh wow. Researching it a bit, this guy [Wang] has done tutorials for Ehow/Expert Villege.

Here's one video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj0UoiW6Qn4&feature=fvst

Look at that stance :gonk: Does that have ANY practical use?

Horse stance (ma bu) is one of the basic stances of kung fu. They aren't really practical, but they are the building blocks to more complicated forms, meant not to hurt people but to display motor control, flexibility and strength.

One of the fundamental routines is the five-stance form as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDb3f-9iyh0

Try one pass at it - it's only 10 beats long. You'll find that it's harder than it looks, especially if you try to get your stances as low as the guy on the video.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Went to the school and it really looks like what I'm looking forward. The instructor is a really nice dude, and I think we will click on an even level. Unfortunately I'm currently jobless ( :smith: ) so I can't join his school right away but he offered I attend a few free adult sessions of kung fu and tai chi.

Also, I talked about payment plans and you can pay on a month to month basis. No scams or anything. He runs a really tight ship, over there. I'm going to a lesson tomorrow.

aendarasi posted:

Horse stance (ma bu) is one of the basic stances of kung fu. They aren't really practical, but they are the building blocks to more complicated forms, meant not to hurt people but to display motor control, flexibility and strength.

One of the fundamental routines is the five-stance form as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDb3f-9iyh0

Try one pass at it - it's only 10 beats long. You'll find that it's harder than it looks, especially if you try to get your stances as low as the guy on the video.

Holy poo poo, I'm getting goosebumps. Gonna try that!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Himuro posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm getting goosebumps. Gonna try that!

Try this, it's the 5 punching forms in Xing-yi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQZ3xn-UmjI
Sure the punches are contrived, but those punches are a good demonstration of whole body coordination to put weight into a strike.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jerome Louis posted:

get that stretchable shock cable they sell at sports stores that do mountain climbing and stuff and lace your gloves with that. it's way easier getting in and out of the gloves that way.

i woulda replied sooner, but some admin had to keep the forums most troll free and all...that's so shrewd i had to read it twice. thanks a lot man :D

melon cat posted:

Muay Thai guys- any recommended hand-wrapping methods? The one I use doesn't seem to hold up very well.

someone posted this thai ribbon wrapping method where they folded layers of wrapping over the knuckles, but i found the result to be very underwhelming.

i wrap mine like this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP5e8QyP0E&feature=related

general thoughts on wraps: 1. get 180" elastic (mexican style) wraps, stay away from the ultra-expensive brands, they're no different; 2. you won't get good knuckle protection solely through hand wraps, so you might as well invest in gloves that are known for their knuckle protection; 3. open&close your hand while wrapping to make them tight, but not tight enough to cut off blood circulation.

CaptainScraps posted:

shin pain

see a doc, the swelling doesn't sound good.

i used to feel excruciating pain when i started out because i would turn my lowkicks in too much. the 2 times they were properly checked i hit someone's upper shinbone with the muscle right next to my shin...took about a month until the pain went away fully, but that period helped a lot in practicing good form and timing. i didn't have any swelling, so that's probably not the same injury you're experiencing, just throwing it out there.

there's this college kickboxing group i go to from time to time and this one guy's shin swole up after i checked the weakest lowkick of all time...i asked if he's ok and he said that's normal, so i guess different bodies react differently ;/

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Illegal Username posted:

Is it the bone that's hurting or the muscle?

A hematoma inside the tibialis anterior muscle isn't dangerous but it hurts like gently caress and it takes forever to heal.

If it's the bone that's hurting, doctor time.

I sat there poking it for a while yesterday. The bone itself doesn't hurt-- the pain feels like it's either in or under the muscle. It's still a little swollen but it matches up with a hematoma. If it's still here in two weeks, doctor time.

Thanks for the help guys.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Had the best MMA session in months. A friendly Judo player footswept my rear end a couple of times before saying that he thinks my stance is too long. I tried out a shorter, wider stance and lo and behold a lot of poo poo became easier to do. Wrestling, checking kicks, throwing right hands, lateral movement... All that was missing was a loving levelup sound.

Sometimes life is good.

CaptainScraps posted:

I sat there poking it for a while yesterday. The bone itself doesn't hurt-- the pain feels like it's either in or under the muscle. It's still a little swollen but it matches up with a hematoma. If it's still here in two weeks, doctor time.
Sounds like a good plan. It's bizarre how much it hurts though. Breaking my hand was loving peanuts compared to that loving shin pain :psyduck:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Illegal Username posted:

Sounds like a good plan. It's bizarre how much it hurts though. Breaking my hand was loving peanuts compared to that loving shin pain :psyduck:

Yeah, seriously. I broke a bone in my hand once and that was just a constant dull ache. This is like lightning going up your body for ten seconds and then it's gone.

:iiam:

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ya that's how mine felt...maybe all you need to do is wait it out :)

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
Quick dumb question.. the topmost knuckles on the middle and ring fingers of both my hands have really bad, open friction burns on them from rubbing on gis when I'm gripping my training partners. I tried wrapping thin strips of athletic tape around them but that constricts the range of motion and feels like it weakens my grip.. is there any way around that or do I just need to be patient and deal with it until the skin heals up? I guess that pretty much answers my own question but figured it couldnt hurt to ask in case there's some piece of wisdom I'm missing.. it also feels like the tape will get rubbed off anyway, with all the friction going on in that location

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
the outside of your knuckle (the non-palm side) is getting rubbed raw? How are you gripping to do that?

It's hard to keep any kind of covering on your hand, the only reliable way I've seen is to bandage it and then basically tape it like you're a boxer. Alternatively, you can put a workout/biking glove on over your hand and then tape it at the wrist to secure it.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

Xguard86 posted:

the outside of your knuckle (the non-palm side) is getting rubbed raw? How are you gripping to do that?

It's hard to keep any kind of covering on your hand, the only reliable way I've seen is to bandage it and then basically tape it like you're a boxer. Alternatively, you can put a workout/biking glove on over your hand and then tape it at the wrist to secure it.

I think it mostly comes from the collars. I use like a pistol grip and if I've got a handful of gi then the outside of my fingers, from the nails to the first knuckle, rub up on that coarse, crosshatched texture of the jackets. I have pretty long, spidery fingers so that may play a part in it as well

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

mindtwist posted:

I think it mostly comes from the collars. I use like a pistol grip and if I've got a handful of gi then the outside of my fingers, from the nails to the first knuckle, rub up on that coarse, crosshatched texture of the jackets. I have pretty long, spidery fingers so that may play a part in it as well

Sounds like you're not gripping 100% right, there shouldn't be enough movement, skin sliding on textile, for the material to hurt you when you've got a collar grip. Are you taking a pistol grip on their collar, or do you mean the sleeve?

It's really hard to describe good gripping form on the internet. You pretty much have to find someone to physically show you to figure it out. Basically you kind of fold the material around your fingers and then press your fingertips into your palm, securing the collar. It's very tight and hard to release, but doesn't rub your fingers numb and lets you hold very tight for a long time without burning out your hand muscles.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Huh, I wouldn't have thought there'd be a wrong way to grip, seems pretty common sense.. but then again if there's a wrong way to do anything, its typically the way I do it, lol. I guess I'll just have to show the burns to my instructor and hope he can show me what I'm doing wrong. thanks for the help!

e: oh and I did mean the collars, and after looking at my gi, I think I might just be grabbing too much. There's like te 1.5-2" of soft collar before the regular crosshatching of the jacket, and I'm probably grabbing waayy too much to get that deep onto it

mindtwist fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 28, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

yes, you might be grabbing too much fabric, especially if you have long fingers. Basically, the collar part of the material goes in your palm, and you wrap your fingers around it. It's kind of like you're holding a rope.

It's not really that you're doing anything wrong, a grip is a grip, there are just better ways to grab that reduce your effort, increase your strength/endurance, and protect your skin from friction burns.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I took the back of someone more experienced than me :unsmith:

I tapped them with a rear naked choke :unsmith:

It was a girl :smith:

This is going to be really hard to describe without pictures, but I have a question. I spent a good amount of time underneath someone in side control today and they were utterly determined to score a kimura, so I grabbed my belt and started looking for a way back to guard. For the life of me, I couldn't think of any way to move that didn't involve letting go of my belt and risking the kimura.

Ideas?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Smegmatron posted:

I took the back of someone more experienced than me :unsmith:

I tapped them with a rear naked choke :unsmith:

It was a girl :smith:

This is going to be really hard to describe without pictures, but I have a question. I spent a good amount of time underneath someone in side control today and they were utterly determined to score a kimura, so I grabbed my belt and started looking for a way back to guard. For the life of me, I couldn't think of any way to move that didn't involve letting go of my belt and risking the kimura.

Ideas?

My prefered move there is to get my arm above my head, let them crank the Kimura to their heart's desire (if you get your arm up there is no angle for them to actually get the Kimura if you're decently flexible) and then go for a sweep since all their attention is on the Kimura.

You can get Kimura'd 100 times easier if you push your arm down to your waist than if you get your arm up over your head.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Thoguh posted:

My prefered move there is to get my arm above my head, let them crank the Kimura to their heart's desire (if you get your arm up there is no angle for them to actually get the Kimura if you're decently flexible)

I can't say without actually seeing what you're talking about, but this sounds like a direct bus ride to armbartown.

There are escapes that sort of end up in that position though, so, like I said: hard to tell with words.

The best way to avoid the kimura is to not allow them to get that frame on your forearm, which can be used to armbar, kimura, americana, straight-armbar, telephone armbar and probably some kind of crazy omoplata roll if you weigh under 170 pounds and pronounce your "R" like an "H".

Keep your elbows to your sides, your palms facing in toward your chest, and don't let the guy on top create enough space to move your arms out of that position.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 29, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

I can't say without actually seeing what you're talking about, but this sounds like a direct bus ride to armbartown.

If you get your arm above your head (and you are decently flexible) you prevent them from getting the angle they need to get the Kimura. They can strain as hard as they want but the armbar just isn't there.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Uh what's preventing the americana in that scenario?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

niethan posted:

Uh what's preventing the americana in that scenario?

How are they going to switch it up when you're already up there? They'd have to let go of the Kimura first and lose the sub in the process. If the Americana is what they are going for initially then this defense won't work because you just give them the sub before you get your arm up over your head, you would do some other defense against the Americana.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think you are underestimating how dangerous it is to have your arm isolated from your hips and outside your chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

I think you are underestimating how dangerous it is to have your arm isolated from your hips and outside your chest.

I'm not saying it's something you should just give up or something. But that if they start to get the lock then it is an effective defense. I've been doing this move for years against at least 50-60 different opponents of varying backgrounds and ranks and only been subbed from it once, when I let my arm come down to much while I did the sweep against a purple belt who really like Kimuras.

• Locked thread