Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Kind of a random question, but what makes the Subaru boxer "grumble". The newest ones don't seem to have it anymore but I can hear if it's a Subaru made in the past 30 years coming down the road. Is it the unequal length headers + firing pattern? I've noticed that some aftermarket exhausts accentuate it while others completely eliminate it. What's the deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Unequal length headers, cylinder head port placement, boxer engine, some crazy Japanese engineer deciding to inject character into the car

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
So just a few days ago I started having issues with my 06 Impreza Outback Sport starting. At first it was only once or twice, car wouldn't even try turning, nothing. Then yesterday it was much more frequent. After a long drive, the engine started near-stalling whenever it was idling. Then I got a 'check engine' light. Then it started shuddering when accelerating, from any speed, and also while idling.

Ran a diagnostic on it and I have a misfire in #1 cylinder. Checked the connections to the ignition coil and to the plugs, looked alright, put them back in. Started the engine up afterwards and the 'check engine' light was gone and the engine was idling much better, though it still sounded a little off. Today I start it and it's running rough again and the 'check engine' light is back. I'm going to check the cables tonight to see if there is any arcing through the insulation or something. I'm assuming it's either the spark plug, ignition coil, or cable running between the two. Anything else worth checking? I just had 60,000 mi maint. done about 2,000 mile ago, so it's likely the dealer upset something.

As far as the car not even starting now, I have some success when I play with the clutch. I took a look at the clutch switch, gave it a little tap and jiggled some of the wires around and the engine started regularly, though I still don't trust it. Should I adjust the distance on the switch? The spring loaded push rod that comes out of the switch is fully extended and not in contact with the clutch pedal when I have the clutch depressed for starting. Is the switch a common part to go bad, or might the problem be somewhere else?

How bad would it be to drive my car 80 miles with a misfiring cylinder? I don't want to blow out a bearing or something due to it being unbalanced now.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Fish Shalami posted:

:words:

You checked your belts to make sure they are properly tight yes?

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

Amandyke posted:

You checked your belts to make sure they are properly tight yes?

I can't do a proper check with the 22 lbs or whatever to measure the deflection, but I can feel them and there isn't much play in them and they don't look worn. I don't think they are slipping. Shouldn't they have been replaced at 60,000 miles anyways?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Cat Terrist posted:

Unequal length headers, cylinder head port placement, boxer engine, some crazy Japanese engineer deciding to inject character into the car

Wouldn't it best be thought of just by considering how the exhaust works? The "Boxer Rumble" is an effect of UEL headers creating a cyclic, but uneven noise?

With EL Headers you get a steady, rhythmic exhaust note because the pressure from each cylinder has to travel the exact same distance - so you get a ]-*-*-*-*-> pattern.

With UEL headers, while the cylinders themselves fire rhythmically, there is a difference in the actual distance the pressure travels - so you end up with something more like: ]-**-**->

That's a terrible example and I'm sure somewhere someone has done a proper whitepaper writeup about it, but it's the best I could come up with quickly.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You'd think with subarus whole 'symmetrical' spiel they would make the exhaust system symmetrical as well with symmetrical headers.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
the n/a and twin scroll subarus do have EL headers.

an audible groan
Jan 2, 2005
NICE TRY SUCKER

bull3964 posted:

I really don't know if stuff like that will show up on a carfax report. Timing belt change interval is 105k miles.

If there's no service documentation that the timing belt change was done, assume it hasn't been. It may be the reason it was sold in the first place. A full timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, pulley, coolant change at the dealership costs around $900 or so. This should factor into the price negotiations.

Otherwise, the car is a ticking time bomb.

Update: I didn't realize how hard it was to get dealerships to actually relinquish information about their cars. Or maybe the staff member I talked to was just an rear end in a top hat. Turns out the car had been sent off for new heads after the dealership took possession of it, and when I pressed him as to why, I was told that if I was that concerned I should just pass on the car. Harumph. They were also wishy-washy as to the belts, so I'll just go ahead and negotiate that particular service into the price. Hopefully since it's a subaru dealer they can just do it right then and there.

The car was, other than that, fantastic. I'd never actually driven a WRX before (just a base impreza) and I couldn't hardly find a thing wrong with it. I did the turning in slow circles at full lock thing and there wasn't any strange feedback, so I assume the rear diff checks out? I didn't really know what I was looking for, so I guess that's a good sign.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

an audible groan posted:

Update: I didn't realize how hard it was to get dealerships to actually relinquish information about their cars. Or maybe the staff member I talked to was just an rear end in a top hat. Turns out the car had been sent off for new heads after the dealership took possession of it, and when I pressed him as to why, I was told that if I was that concerned I should just pass on the car. Harumph. They were also wishy-washy as to the belts, so I'll just go ahead and negotiate that particular service into the price. Hopefully since it's a subaru dealer they can just do it right then and there.
Funny, the dealership my car was serviced at before I bought it gave me complete records for the car. Some dealer near Omaha, NE.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cat Terrist posted:

Still no wet plug / car problem. Actually got a glint of hope now the problem is found

If you're feeling ballsy, you should dump water on the sensor and see if it acts up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

You'd think with subarus whole 'symmetrical' spiel they would make the exhaust system symmetrical as well with symmetrical headers.

And be rid of THE sound? Are you mad?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OzmHnBkIaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn8EKHJsZwI

Now say Hail Colin full of grace a dozen times to absolve yourself of such sinful thoughts

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
Anyone know where I can find a shop manual or repair manual for a 2006 Impreza Outback Sport?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

an audible groan posted:

when I pressed him as to why, I was told that if I was that concerned I should just pass on the car.

I'd be tempted to take his advice.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Cat Terrist posted:

And be rid of THE sound? Are you mad?!?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OzmHnBkIaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn8EKHJsZwI

Now say Hail Colin full of grace a dozen times to absolve yourself of such sinful thoughts

Ok, it's official European Rally fans are retarded. HEY GUYS, lets all stand IN THE ROAD and then we'll JUMP OUT OF THE WAY as the car COMES BARRELING AT US AT HIGH SPEED. The rule for the drivers must be "aim for the fans".

Also that amjayes guy has some *fantastic* videos on his youtube page. Right properly done rally footage.

edit: And your car squeaks too much CT.

an audible groan
Jan 2, 2005
NICE TRY SUCKER

c355n4 posted:

I'd be tempted to take his advice.

Looks like I'm going to anyway since my financing fell through. Whoops!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've suddenly under less financial burden!

My KYB GR-2s have shipped and will be here next week. The car desperately needs it. After I get them installed, I will do a track day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Took apart the passenger AVCS system today to check for water damage - confirmed. The tell tale white depoists show we have 100% confirmed the ECU is got no idea why there's a feedback loop and goes into limp home - the ECU it turns out sets the cam timing advance but there's no sensor to confirm it - unlike the STI which has had one rigged in. So it looks like the AVCS goes nuts, the ECU cant understand what is going on and just goes into limp home.

But the other thing is that I knwo how to manage the issue so if I detect it, I can reset it until I figure out exactly what damage the water ingress has done and where. Still no idea how the water got there but hey, least we now have answers.

FINALLY, only taken three months to figure it out - and we wouldnt have if I hadnt been looking at a different idea and took the plug off to get to something else.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Took apart the passenger AVCS system today to check for water damage - confirmed. The tell tale white depoists show we have 100% confirmed the ECU is got no idea why there's a feedback loop and goes into limp home - the ECU it turns out sets the cam timing advance but there's no sensor to confirm it - unlike the STI which has had one rigged in. So it looks like the AVCS goes nuts, the ECU cant understand what is going on and just goes into limp home.

But the other thing is that I knwo how to manage the issue so if I detect it, I can reset it until I figure out exactly what damage the water ingress has done and where. Still no idea how the water got there but hey, least we now have answers.

FINALLY, only taken three months to figure it out - and we wouldnt have if I hadnt been looking at a different idea and took the plug off to get to something else.

That is some crazy poo poo. I hope you find out how the water is/was getting in.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Me : Hmmmm, wonder what happens if I remove the air emissions pump?

:: FLING! ::

Me : Not much. What about the brackets?

:: FLING!! *CRASH MEOW!* ::

Me : Now what about if I remove the rear seat braces?

:: FLING BANG! ::

Me : Now about that rear seat....... and the glove box...... oh and that rear carpet....

Oh gently caress, I've started havent I? Next I'm going to build the castor mod, put in adjustible camber top plates, strut braces and new bushes, then it wont be enough, I'll change springs and dampers, then I'll put on a front lip spoiler and a rear wing, new Project MU brakes, a R160 based plated diff, exhaust, reflash and then splerge out and get some ridiculous high end suspension and it'll never end!

I'm screwed.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ugh, I'm thinking about getting a Legacy GT instead of my 9-2x Aero and saving $70 a month on insurance.

Part of me wants to do it, but my car has been incredibly reliable. Only time it's left me stranded was because someone hit it or because I did a dumb thing and left the lights on.

Cat, don't you already have an STi for racing?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I was by a local Subaru shop to pick up some parts, and they had a customer's rally GC8 up on the lift. It was gross, full of rally rash and beat to hell, but they were installing Ohlins coilovers that were 14 grand... used. They were gold, with an external reservoir the size of a baby's arm. I've never seen such a thing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

Cat, don't you already have an STi for racing?

For gravel, yes.

But the WRX is such a fun thing on tarmac! Wait nooooooo I'm not going to go down this path....

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Wrar posted:

Ugh, I'm thinking about getting a Legacy GT instead of my 9-2x Aero and saving $70 a month on insurance.

Part of me wants to do it, but my car has been incredibly reliable. Only time it's left me stranded was because someone hit it or because I did a dumb thing and left the lights on.

Avoid the 05's if you can.

blargle posted:

I was by a local Subaru shop to pick up some parts, and they had a customer's rally GC8 up on the lift. It was gross, full of rally rash and beat to hell, but they were installing Ohlins coilovers that were 14 grand... used. They were gold, with an external reservoir the size of a baby's arm. I've never seen such a thing.

That's not what Subarus are supposed to look like :confused:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I can only afford an 05, whats wrong with them?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

For gravel, yes.

But the WRX is such a fun thing on tarmac! Wait nooooooo I'm not going to go down this path....

It is the natural path! You cannot fight it.

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

For gravel, yes.

Oh you know you want to do it kiddo. Good grip and getting the 6 speed knowing you cant break it, bit of boner material.

My mate went to Wakefield today...

drat ramps.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slow is Fast posted:

Avoid the 05's if you can.
Anecdotal is that the 2005-2006s should be the most reliable, which 2005s maybe coming out better.
Says the guy with an 05 with new pistons and gears.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Lots of incidents with the 05's blowing motors.

I bought an 05, blew the motor in a week, returned it for refund.

NM has an 05, he blew his motor. See a pattern here?

Guy I know got an 05 for his wife... ding ding ding, blew the motor.

The problem was a few things, some say it was the screen in the oil line would get clogged, oil starve the turbo and blow that up.

Others say it's the oil pickup.

I say it's all that bullshit PLUS Subaru had the bright idea to go "hey you can do 7000 mile oil change intervals, don't worry about it!" When the cars first came out. Later on the updated that to say synthetic only every 3k miles.

Jamal probably has better and more accurate insight then I do since he works on these cars for a living where I just participate in the local state club heavily.

I know three non-goons who have had to deal with blown up 05's in my state in the past year. After the absolute loving hell I went through with my 05, I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Which sucks, because it was the perfect car.

If you're insistent on getting an 05, I'd do a compression and leak-down and ask to see oil change records to make sure they weren't 7k intervals, then pray to whatever sky wizard it is you believe in that it doesn't blow up once any warranty you get runs out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Pardon my ignorance but what do you get with the 2011 STI over the WRX? Is the chassis wider on the STI? Do they have the same suspension (parts interchangeable)? Are there any big ticket items you get with the STI that would be much more expensive to upgrade a WRX to?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Slow is Fast posted:

Others say it's the oil pickup.
Actually, that doesn't happen to 2005s.

On LGT.com quite a few 2006+s blow motors too. EQ told me the pistons were actually better on 05-06 than in recent vintages.

Shaocaholica posted:

Pardon my ignorance but what do you get with the 2011 STI over the WRX? Is the chassis wider on the STI? Do they have the same suspension (parts interchangeable)? Are there any big ticket items you get with the STI that would be much more expensive to upgrade a WRX to?
Diffs. Diffs are so much better on the STI. You get a front LSD to start. Front LSds really wake the subaru up.
A front diff on a WRX will run a bit over $1000 with maybe $1000ish in labor to install.
Do WRXs even get rear LSDs anymore?

You get a much better 6-speed box.

And that's just some.

If you want a stock street car, the WRX is great, but I'd buy a STI for track or autox.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 28, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

transmission, diffs, hubs, and brakes are all much better on the sti, and it's not easy to swap them over.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

jamal posted:

transmission, diffs, hubs, and brakes are all much better on the sti, and it's not easy to swap them over.

Are the hubs located wider on the STI or is are they the same width now with the wide body WRX?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Any high mileage ej25 is a crapshoot, basically. I had my RS for 120k miles but I don't plan on keeping this WRX for more than 80k. Pretty much everyone I know either spun a bearing or broke a ringland eventually especially the stage 2 guys.. latest casualty is a friend's 2006 LGT. Hopefully the fb25 brings good things.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Are the hubs located wider on the STI or is are they the same width now with the wide body WRX?

they're in the same spot but the uprights, axles, bearings, and struts are different. We just did a 5x114 conversion on a car that already had a 5x100 sti drivetrain and suspension (which is still a bit different that wrx 5x100 stuff). needed to change front uprights/bearings/hubs, brake rotors all around, rear bearings and hubs, and put in different struts.

To do the swap on a wrx you would also need to change the rear uprights, and then the wrx axles don't fit in the sti hubs and the sti axles don't fit in a wrx diff. So you have to either get custom axles made or put in an sti rear diff. And then the driveshaft won't bolt up to the diff anymore and the sti prop shaft is a different length. you can either change the flange on the diff or have custom axles made.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Is the WRX the only car Subaru still makes with a 5-spd? I wish they'd give it a 6-speed already! When I bought my '10 WRX, I almost went with a Mazdaspeed3 instead (because it has a 6-spd and is about the same price. No AWD though).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

blargle posted:

Any high mileage ej25 is a crapshoot, basically. I had my RS for 120k miles but I don't plan on keeping this WRX for more than 80k. Pretty much everyone I know either spun a bearing or broke a ringland eventually especially the stage 2 guys.. latest casualty is a friend's 2006 LGT. Hopefully the fb25 brings good things.

don't like what I've seen of the n/a FB so far. Hopefully the turbo version is very different. A lot of stuff is taken off the EZ30 which is a good motor but they went to a short rod and long stroke which is bad for top end power and revs. The new cool build to stick a 2.0 crank in a 2.5 block with a 4mm longer rod (although I'm not sold on losing displacement to improve VE and will stick with our 2.6 race motor).

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 28, 2011

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have opinions on Group-N top hats? I'm replacing my sagging '04 WRX suspension with a very mild setup: GR-2s and Mach V (basically Prodrive) springs. If I bought the hats I would only buy the fronts, just can't decide if it's worth an extra $100 for a daily driven, non-aggressive car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

usually worth it to upgrade tops. I got the whiteline com-c tops over group n. they use harder material plus relocated the mount to add camber and caster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

syphon posted:

Is the WRX the only car Subaru still makes with a 5-spd? I wish they'd give it a 6-speed already! When I bought my '10 WRX, I almost went with a Mazdaspeed3 instead (because it has a 6-spd and is about the same price. No AWD though).
Remember that the 6 speed in the new LGT isn't the STI 6-speed, it is the 5-spd with another gear.
All the na cars still have the 5.