Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Juust got caught up on the Proopscast and not only is it one of the best comedy podcasts out there, but holy poo poo is his baseball history knowledge good. I refuse to beieve that he did those lineups off the top of his head, but if he did... wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

reality_groove posted:

Yeah, the quality of RBR tends to fluctuate depending on Mike's general mood and the guest hosts he has with him. For example when Mike's girlfriend left with Dean and he was depressed, the show was poo poo, but when Kyle and Fritz became regular guys it became amazing again.

There are some incredibly uncomfortable bits such as his attempt to reclaim the word friend of the family for the purposes of comedy and I always feel pretty bad when they prank call people but it's balanced out with the smallest moments of absolute genius such as their freestyle raps and rants about Subway.

The prank calls are the best prank calls because they give the person a real chance to bounce back and forth before they break into insults.

Also the insults are pretty cute too. "You stink! You smell! I don't like you! Your hair looks nice!"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Also the insults are pretty cute too. "You stink! You smell! I don't like you! Your hair looks nice!"

It's pretty much either this or a horrifying torrent of racial, sexual, and otherwise discriminatory slurs. Oddly enough, he gets the same reaction either way.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
Not gonna lie, I finally got around to listening to the Aimee Mann Who Charted and I was STOKED on the summah gum announcement.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The revelation on the nerdist podcast that people bring Chris Hardwick Doctor Who stuff to sign and that he actually signs it was sort of odd and sort of gross?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Yannick_B posted:

The revelation on the nerdist podcast that people bring Chris Hardwick Doctor Who stuff to sign and that he actually signs it was sort of odd and sort of gross?

Why would people do this? He's not even that much of a Doctor Who fan, other than the recent stuff.

On the other hand, I suspect that Dave and Greg will need to borrow a car to haul the amount of Tim-Tams that people will bring to the Starfish Circus at the Largo.

http://largo.laughstub.com/show.cfm?id=87169

Wil Anderson, Greg Behrendt, Dave Anthony, with guests Brian Posehn and Noted American Gasbag Patton Oswalt. That will be upon thee like a gryphon!

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

Yannick_B posted:

...I can kind of understand why he might not turn someone away (he's trying to be nice and is kind of weird about attention), but who would seriously ask him to do that?

Also: just went through some of the older (Jim Gaffigan and Andy Richter) Nerdist episodes, and once you start to notice how much he inserts himself into every conversation it becomes slightly unbearable.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The 47 Reagans posted:

...I can kind of understand why he might not turn someone away (he's trying to be nice and is kind of weird about attention), but who would seriously ask him to do that?

I understand that too, but I think he could go "Doctor Who is awesome, but I cant really sign stuff from it." and someone would understand. Its still pretty weird that people ask him to do that.

I like Chris Hardwick but I want to like him more. His talking about positivity, creativity, getting things done and all that stuff--thats great. Its inspiring and a pretty good message to put out there. But then there is the other side of constant self-promoting, self-creating/coining expressions that comes with that that is pretty annoying.
He feels equal parts genuine and forced, somehow.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

He feels equal parts genuine and forced, somehow.

That pretty much sums up Stephen Tobolowski, too.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Listening to Rogan's latest podcast. For someone who hasnt payed attention: Russell Peters is still an overrated hack who gets by on easy racial jokes right?

His comments equating Middle East freedoms as above the States' is also probably the dumbest thing Ive heard in a while too.

Carabus
Sep 30, 2002

Booya.
Check out This American Wife, great satire of public radio as well as some of the podcasts here. Tons of characters in the last one.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Carabus posted:

Check out This American Wife, great satire of public radio as well as some of the podcasts here. Tons of characters in the last one.

I'm kind of disappointed that the guy's not even trying to do an Ira Glass impersonation, but hearing Adomian do impersonations of Marc Maron and Christopher Hitchens more than makes up for it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Speaking of Ira Glass, him and Mike Birbiglia were good on Friday's live Adam Carolla show. I think that's the first time I've heard Ira Glass swear.

I think that drunk/crazy woman in the audience ended up getting more mic time than Birbiglia. Although it was great when he hosed around with the audience a bit, he asked at one point how much of the crowd supported Obama. "I had a hunch."

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Engineer Doug is on vacation so Earwolf's podcasts are going to be a trainwreck this week.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Colin Hanks, I really want to like you but god you're dull.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
The character Paul Scheer started with pretty good for once, although it went off the rails when he got away from the new-agey stuff.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Bunk Rogers posted:

I think he's really funny. He kinda reminds me of Tom Cavenaugh from "Mike and Tom Eat Snacks." Which reminds me, Tom Cavenaugh would also be really funny on CBB.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Eltoasto posted:

Engineer Doug is on vacation so Earwolf's podcasts are going to be a trainwreck this week.

Who's gonna be on the 3's and 4's? :ohdear:

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Has nobody mentioned the Caustic Soda show yet? Zack Parsons mentioned it in a front page article a couple of weeks ago and I've been hooked since.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Bunk Rogers posted:

He was fuckin' golden on his last appearance. I guess maybe going into this episode already liking him and psyched that he was back makes me bias or whatever but I DISAGREE WITH YOU lets argue

Creflo Chronicle posted:

The character Paul Scheer started with pretty good for once, although it went off the rails when he got away from the new-agey stuff.

Paul Scheer abandons his characters so quickly every time I don't know why he insists on coming back as not-himself. I think he'd be good as the straight man or whatever the CBB equivalent would be.

Eltoasto posted:

It's crazy how much of a difference it makes when Doug (or whoever the engineer with the most experience is, there was one before Doug - and Doug sucked when he first started) leaves. Scott should have had a "Get Ready To Play Something" signal for the fill-in this week.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

caveman thug poo poo posted:

(or whoever the engineer with the most experience is, there was one before Doug - and Doug sucked when he first started)

That was Joe Escalante from the Vandals, I think.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Creflo Chronicle posted:

I thought he was great all the way through, though I agree he did kind of go off the rails near the end when he went into the whole "I've got to admit" part.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Now I want a full episode with Paul Scheer and Andy Daly having an improv-off. Paul is hilarious when his awful characters fall to pieces.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Everyone on the Kevin Smith roster of shows call a podcast a "pod". It drives me batshit insane everytime. I feel like they are off in their own bubble and have no clue when it comes to the wide world of podcasting, but am I wrong? Do other people actually say "we're working on the next pod" or whatever?

Pod. gently caress.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Snowy posted:

Pod. gently caress.

Until everybody recognizes podcasting as a legitimate outlet (and spell check just dinged "podcasting" right there), that's kind of how it will be for a while. It's arguable if Smith is helping or hurting the situation what with his 500 new podcasts he releases every day. All celebs know is "Hey did you do Marc Maron's pod?" "Yeah, last week, tomorrow I do Kevin Smith's pod." until anyone tells them any better. For the most part they could give a poo poo about podcasts save that it's way easier and friendlier than morning radio or TV spots. I don't pretend that any of these people actually listen to podcasts.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Kevin Smith also delights in using his own brand of slang for everything; "flick", "cat", etc

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Riptor posted:

Kevin Smith also delights in using his own brand of slang for everything; "flick", "cat", etc

To be fair he also delights in creating scenarios to insert himself in where something horrible will happen unless he is forced suck someone's dick. :)

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
Hey "How Did This Get Made": I'm happy that you were enamored with Crank 2, but while you were talking I was looking above your collective heads and I saw the whole movie fly by.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Speaking of Ira Glass, him and Mike Birbiglia were good on Friday's live Adam Carolla show. I think that's the first time I've heard Ira Glass swear.
He made a cameo in a Daily Show episode. It was during one of John Hodgman's bits and in addition to cursing he was wearing a motion capture suit for a make believe video game. Needless to say, it was unexpected.

Also good call on We Hate Movies! I just finished listening to the Superman III and VI episodes and I'm on board. One of the guys actually sounds like Paul Scheer a little bit, but they actually have an intelligent conversation (while being hilarious) about what makes the movies bad instead of just mugging the microphone for an hour.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Snowy posted:

Everyone on the Kevin Smith roster of shows call a podcast a "pod". It drives me batshit insane everytime. I feel like they are off in their own bubble and have no clue when it comes to the wide world of podcasting, but am I wrong? Do other people actually say "we're working on the next pod" or whatever?

Pod. gently caress.

I might feel different if "podcast" weren't such a dumb word, but this is like complaining that people are using the wrong term to describe your "weblog".

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

To be fair he also delights in creating scenarios to insert himself in where something horrible will happen unless he is forced suck someone's dick. :)

Hearing the evolution of this condition is the single greatest reason to listen to Smodcast.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

t3ch3 posted:

I might feel different if "podcast" weren't such a dumb word, but this is like complaining that people are using the wrong term to describe your "weblog".

This is an excellent point. I hear the word podcast so often that I forget how dumb it is.

Also, we should be consistent and just call them dcasts.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Strange Matter posted:

Also good call on We Hate Movies! I just finished listening to the Superman III and VI episodes and I'm on board. One of the guys actually sounds like Paul Scheer a little bit, but they actually have an intelligent conversation (while being hilarious) about what makes the movies bad instead of just mugging the microphone for an hour.

I'll take credit for the recommendation, but also warn that the phrase "Not for nothing" will set your teeth on edge by the fifth episode you hear.

Seriously, though, their background knowledge is impressive and gives them a lot more room to expand conversations. I still have to check out The Flop House, but I really love WHM so far.

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Hey "How Did This Get Made": I'm happy that you were enamored with Crank 2, but while you were talking I was looking above your collective heads and I saw the whole movie fly by.

Maybe I'm not not understanding this, but were they talking about the Godzilla fight scene and the chat show scene like they were actually supposed to be real events (like the characters actually turned into monsters for a moment and Chellios was really on a talk show), and not just super-stylized bits? Because it sounded like that was really confusing them.

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007
Just finished a new episode of Actually Happening, my vaguely-history-themed panel game podcast. Give it a listen:

Episode 5: Bravery In Flagrante Delicto | iTunes link

Fake Green Dress fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 28, 2011

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
They should rename it How Did This LITERALLY Get Made?

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

The 47 Reagans posted:

Maybe I'm not not understanding this, but were they talking about the Godzilla fight scene and the chat show scene like they were actually supposed to be real events (like the characters actually turned into monsters for a moment and Chellios was really on a talk show), and not just super-stylized bits? Because it sounded like that was really confusing them.

It sounds like you haven't seen the movies, and if you have I apologize. But in my opinion they are pretty well crafted, but somehow fell under the radar as "action trash". These movies are literally a comic book, video game, cartoon, set to life. To keep on topic, I think it was "The Greatest Movie Ever" podcast that said, "Everyone's making movies out of video games, but THIS is a movie that SHOULD be a video game." It openly mocks itself and masterfully goes over-the-top in the best way possible. Jason Statham is a decent action guy, but I think he'll be remembered for these. He's amazing. They're great. Watch both. In order, because 2 starts the second that 1 ends. It's fun as gently caress.

So to stem the movie review derail, it's like "How Did This Get Made" just didn't "get" it. They liked it, but maybe for all the wrong reasons. There's so much more stuff about the movie that is way more impressive than anything they talked about. They just didn't get it. I don't even know why they chose it. They just keep going on about racism, which I guess I can understand, but not when the whole thing is a in-joke on itself. Seriously, watch the Crank movies.

tl;dr: The Crank Movies are fantastic.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

soru posted:

They should rename it How Did This LITERALLY Get Made?

loving brilliant.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Eltoasto posted:

I want his job so bad I can taste it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I went on a very long roadtrip and picked up a lot of CBB and my god, I never really like Paul F. Tompkins and I didn't really think much of Andy Daly, but they are both so goddamn funny. The first episode I listened to was Patton Oswalt and Andy Daly(as Don Dimello or something) and in the background of the car I thought it was lovely. I listened to it again through headphones and my god Andy can improv his rear end off, he just says the funniest things. Anyways I don't think CBB needed a bump but that's really all I have to contribute, haha, thanks guys!

• Locked thread