Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

marsattacks posted:

Just got fired from my freelancing writing gig because I've not been able to keep up with the work. After getting home from an eight hour popcorn shift, covered in grease and salt and soda syrup, for the last week or so I haven't been able to get myself to do my online work at a proper pace.

So, woke up to that email this morning, and to a face full of zits. If you've ever worked concessions on a busy (and hot) Saturday night, you're probably familiar with the post-popcorn breakout.

:eng99:

That sucks dude, I've been there with trying to do freelance in addition to a 40+ hour retail gig, and it just limits what you can do so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NarwhalParty posted:

Sadly, if you went to management with a complaint about the customer, it would just seem to them like you couldn't handle the situation. On the flip side, if that guy would make a complaint to management about you, that person would probably get a gift card. It isn't right, but that's just how corporations are.

\

You don't go to management after the fact to complain about the customer.

You go to management after the fact to complain that they weren't around to either back you up or not, but either way, to shut the customer up and make him go away.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
Just realized today that if guests were functionally literate I wouldn't have a job.

What's the one question you never want to hear again at work?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
So, I'm at work this morning, and this woman is standing at the checkout counter while the cashier is headed that way and I happen to walk by and make eye contact with the customer. When she sees me she says to me in a tone just below a yell "so y'all gonna give me my coupon since I came back the next day?"

I had no idea who she was at first and was just so shocked that someone would be so blunt and rude that I just stared at her and I think I muttered out a very shocked "what?" before walking away in confusion.

Apparently it was this woman who had been in the store every day in the last week. Her sister's wedding is today and she's been doing all the decorating last-minute. Great, your fault, don't loving yell at me if you're stressed and feel like you should get some kind of loving discount because you've given us maybe $200 in profit at maximum.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

CaptainPsyko posted:

You don't go to management after the fact to complain about the customer.

You go to management after the fact to complain that they weren't around to either back you up or not, but either way, to shut the customer up and make him go away.

They weren't there to back me up. Actually the situation was only resolved when another customer came up and gave the dude a dollar, no one else did anything else about it.
But I guess I'm over it now. Things can only look up from here! :smithicide:

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
So, uh, I almost collapsed my last shift at work. Barely able to stay on my feet, and all because my co-worker decided to go home, and because she has breasts and my boss is a massive loving pervert, he said yes.

Then, I was told that he would 'call me with my next shift', despite the fact that I'm the most regular employee, and that I assured him that I would be fine to work, as it was simply exhaustion.

Good god, I hate retail.

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
I need to start bringing a bottle of Febreze or a pressure washer to work. There's this one guy who keeps coming in, an older, heavier gentleman. Unshaven, black sweatpants with holes and wears a white t-shirt that's almost completely stained yellow and looks crusty as poo poo.

He leaves a trail of stink. A TRAIL OF STINK. It's like a combination of B.O., crotch rot and gunpowder. If he leaves a spot or walks away the spot he was in will smell for at least the next loving minute. I've had a mother who was waiting behind him carry her child away because they couldn't breathe the air around him. One time he walked through my entire section (small electronics section) and I had to leave it because there wasn't an aisle that didn't cause me to choke.

To leave the store from electronics here you have to go around my counter. So the stink forms a circle that closes in around me. I shouldn't need a gas mask to do my job.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

marsattacks posted:

Mentioned recently, but "where's the non-fiction section" wins hands-down.

uptown
May 16, 2009

marsattacks posted:

"Do you work here?" when I am wearing a staff shirt, my walkie, my name badge, standing behind a cashpoint, putting clothes away... etc. I always say "yes," in disbelief. I need to be quick-witted enough to say no and just walk away.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

uptown posted:

"Do you work here?" when I am wearing a staff shirt, my walkie, my name badge, standing behind a cashpoint, putting clothes away... etc. I always say "yes," in disbelief. I need to be quick-witted enough to say no and just walk away.

I wear a badge with my photo on it and I get this 2-3 times a day minimum.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
"Do you work here" doesn't bother me, I feel like it's just an empty-question icebreaker before barging into their real question. But I also don't have a uniform, so from behind if they can't see my lanyard then I guess that's why I'm okay with it.

My current least favorite question is a recent one. We recently remodeled the store, and moved Customer Service right up next to the front doors. We put big, stand-alone, bright blue signs at both entrances that state "Customer Service has moved to the front of the store", and even one back in the corner where it used to be. Still, people always come up to me at the back of the store, pointing/staring at the sign and ask "Where is customer service???" :effort:

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

marsattacks posted:

"Are you open?" Uh no I'm standing in front of my register for my health, thanks.
"Which one is credit?" It's the one that says credit you illiterate gently caress tard.
or it's cousin, "I don't want debit, which one do I hit?" "This is a gift card, do I hit gift?"

I guess that's 4 questions but still.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
"Where are your video games?"
*is standing in front of 3 aisles of clearly marked video games*

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

2508084 posted:

I wear a badge with my photo on it and I get this 2-3 times a day minimum.
For awhile my badge said "MY NAME IS [spite house] AND I WORK HERE" and I still got it. Indeed, customers would squint at my chest, read the tag, and then ask the question.

SpartanIV posted:

"Where are your video games?"
*is standing in front of 3 aisles of clearly marked video games*
"Do you sell magazines?"
*CS desk is directly in front of the magazine section and also every bookstore in the whole entire world sells magazines*

uptown
May 16, 2009

drat Bananas posted:

"Do you work here" doesn't bother me, I feel like it's just an empty-question icebreaker before barging into their real question. But I also don't have a uniform, so from behind if they can't see my lanyard then I guess that's why I'm okay with it.

I always get asked when I am doing very obvious employee things. I once was standing behind a cashpoint and folding clothes, and a woman came up from behind me (the cashpoint is kind of in the middle of the store) and saw the back of my shirt, which, as previously mentioned, says STAFF in giant letters. She then asked me, "where are the people that work here?" I was so confused. I could only respond with "I... work here?" :wtc:

Two rants that have been building over the last few days...
-We have a manager, Vincent. He's an absolute nightmare to close with, but is the sweetest guy ever on breaks. It's scary how he does a complete 180 between being clocked off and clocked in. I almost wish he was an rear end in a top hat all the time, just for consistency. Closing with him, like I said, is awful. He sets unrealistic goals for employees and gets unreasonably upset when they are not achieved. He yelled at a new-ish girl for not completing a task quickly enough or something, but he's the one who trained her!
-We are so understaffed. We never have enough closers on staff and it's really hard to keep your department clean when you are constantly being called to help back up in the fitting rooms or on the front cashpoint. I work for a multi-billion dollar company, for gently caress's sake.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
You ever think that people just like to be told "Yes" from time to time?

Testro
May 2, 2009
I've had the opposite happen to me too. When I was around 18 or so, I'd gone shopping with my mum. She was in the changing rooms and I was idly hanging around outside, strolling back and forth, flicking through a few racks of clothes.

A woman came out and started asking me, "Does this suit me? Would I look good in this? What do you think about this top with these trousers?" I'm a nice person and didn't want to tell her to shove it, so I was just a bit non-committal..."Yeah, that looks ok," sort of answers and then trying to walk off and be left alone.

...but she didn't go away - she kept asking me questions...and fortunately, my mum came out for us to leave. She looked gobsmacked and said, "I'm sorry, I thought you worked here!"

I was so amused because she was fairly friendly through it all, but I would've chalked up points for the most unhelpful shop person ever (because my body language was full of OH CHRIST STOP TALKING TO ME CRAZY PERSON, I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT MIDDLE AGED WOMEN'S FASHION) - let alone the fact that I was wandering about, avoiding eye contact and not doing a stroke of work.

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009
Had two team members cleaning up a spill in an aisle and a guest walked right where they were cleaning,slipped and fell and her boyfriend gave the team members grief for not having a yellow cone set up yet. I guess the two team members on their knees cleaning is not a good enough warning sign.

uptown
May 16, 2009

Dodgeball posted:

You ever think that people just like to be told "Yes" from time to time?

"Can you help me find something?" will make me think that you are much less of a drooling idiot than "Do you work here?" and I will still respond with "Yes," and my tone will be much less horrified :D

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

uptown posted:

"Can you help me find something?" will make me think that you are much less of a drooling idiot than "Do you work here?" and I will still respond with "Yes," and my tone will be much less horrified :D

The problem here is that you're expecting customers to have a modicum of intelligence and consideration...

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Ace944 posted:

Had two team members cleaning up a spill in an aisle and a guest walked right where they were cleaning,slipped and fell and her boyfriend gave the team members grief for not having a yellow cone set up yet. I guess the two team members on their knees cleaning is not a good enough warning sign.

I was eating at an empty Subway today and the girl at the table in front of me spilled her full cup of Coke all over the table, chairs, and on the floor. The manager came out to mop it up, and a guy that had just gotten his sandwich walked twenty feet to the table, walked into the Coke, and started to set his stuff down until the manager had to tell him he was cleaning.

uptown
May 16, 2009

Dodgeball posted:

The problem here is that you're expecting customers to have a modicum of intelligence and consideration...

Oh absolutely! But this is the "reasons I no longer desire to work in retail" thread where I, and many others, complain about our job and those who patronize our workplaces.

Back to work after a day off. I'm on a truck shift today, which means all I do is process product in the stockroom for 8 hours. I hope the truck is huge so that I can actually spend my whole shift in there. Usually what happens is they schedule people for the shift, product gets pushed out quicker than expected, then your shift gets cut. I can't afford to have a cut shift.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Megera posted:

I was eating at an empty Subway today and the girl at the table in front of me spilled her full cup of Coke all over the table, chairs, and on the floor. The manager came out to mop it up, and a guy that had just gotten his sandwich walked twenty feet to the table, walked into the Coke, and started to set his stuff down until the manager had to tell him he was cleaning.

Also at a Subway, this one guy spilled his full soda everywhere. He got up and got a refill and then continued to sit down and eat without even wiping the table or seat down. How is someone so lazy that they are willing to sit in their own mess?

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

Testro posted:

I've had the opposite happen to me too.
Me too.
I was around 13, 14. My mom and one of my younger sisters and I had stopped by Wal-mart on the way home from school. I was told to watch my little sister, Amy, while Mom went to grab something from the pharmacy.
Amy started climbing on a display in the middle of the aisle, and I told her, not very nicely, to get her butt down from there before she got in trouble. A middle-aged gentleman stalked over to me and barked that he wanted to see my manager. I was confused- I certainly looked my age, not only in the face, but I had the braces, the glasses, the greasy hair, and! for bonus points, I was wearing my PE uniform. It was the last class of the day, and we had no shower facility, so I'd just wear it home instead of changing back into my school uniform. It was a big grey tshirt that read PROPERTY OF "SCHOOL NAME" on it and blue shorts that were labeled the same. Anyway, the point is that I definitely looked like a kid.
This guy started yelling at me to get my manager, that I can't talk to someone else's kid like that, what's my problem, etc. I just stood there, not really knowing what to do, and supremely uncomfortable that this man was just hollering at me like that. People were staring. My mom comes running up and says to the guy, "What the heck is your problem and why are you yelling at my daughter?!" He looks at me again and says, "What? You work here, don't you?"
"No!"
His face went from confusion, to comprehension, to embarrassment in a span of like three seconds. I've never seen a chubby man in ill-fitting pants move that quickly. I've also never before or since seen my mother so ready to kick a stranger's rear end.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Ace944 posted:

This is honestly a good example of people who deserve to be working retail. If you can't take two seconds to follow a simple, standard safety procedure, you really shouldn't make much above minimum wage.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Klaus Kinski posted:

This is honestly a good example of people who deserve to be working retail. If you can't take two seconds to follow a simple, standard safety procedure, you really shouldn't make much above minimum wage.

Not really. I've been cleaning up spills with a cone and the bright yellow bucket, and I still had one person yell at me for almost slipping in the puddle. If a customer ignores two people obviously cleaning up a spill, the cone's probably not going to make much of a difference.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Klaus Kinski posted:

What the gently caress is this? No, really, what. The. gently caress.

:frogout:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rolleyes posted:

What the gently caress is this? No, really, what. The. gently caress.

Instead of prison sentences for non-violent offenders. Think about it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

If you include violent offenders you might cut down on the rate of customer complaints. :v:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Incoherent Moron posted:

Not really. I've been cleaning up spills with a cone and the bright yellow bucket, and I still had one person yell at me for almost slipping in the puddle. If a customer ignores two people obviously cleaning up a spill, the cone's probably not going to make much of a difference.

"It usually doesn't matter/It probably wouldn't matter anyway" isn't really a valid argument to skip on really simple safety stuff.

Do you even realize how retarded his story is? "We didn't bother putting up a warning sign so this fucker ended up hurting himself and yelling at us, what a loving shithead customer."

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Klaus Kinski posted:

"It usually doesn't matter/It probably wouldn't matter anyway" isn't really a valid argument to skip on really simple safety stuff.

Do you even realize how retarded his story is? "We didn't bother putting up a warning sign so this fucker ended up hurting himself and yelling at us, what a loving shithead customer."

"We didn't bother putting a small sign adjacent to two, human sized 'signs' that clearly indicate that the floor is being cleaned."

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

It's called personal responsibility, and here's how it works: if you don't look where you're going and fail to notice two people on their hands and knees cleaning up a spill then, to use your terminology, you deserve to fall over.

You are that guy. You are the one who'd be phoning corporate because you felt embarrassed about making a stupid mistake and wanted to deflect the blame. You are the customer everyone in here hates. Go away.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My biggest pet peeve questions is ANYTHING iphone related:

"when is Sprint getting the iPhone"
"What phone is like the iPhone"

and my biggest hate:

"do you have those Otter cases for the iPhone."

i can definitely understand asking what phone is LIKE the iPhone, that's just annoying to me is all. The when I can even understand, although then I have to give the whole speech on Android world supremacy. But damnit, there is a big yellow Sprint sign above my head, no I do not carrying loving cases for the loving iPhone.

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008
Just a quick question for the UK retail goons. If you guys book in leave about 3 months in advance, would you normally get those dates off? Just asking because my boyfriend said he isn't sure whether he will get the dates he put in for leave to come to a wedding with me {something you really need to reply to ages in advance of the day itself}. Surely if he book so far ahead it shouldn't make a difference?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
At my place of work, if you put in your days off too far ahead, the manager would forget or lose the paperwork. However, If you put in too late she couldn't find people to fill in the gaps. So there was this sweet spot of when to put in for your days off

e: I'm in the US though

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

gomababe posted:

Just a quick question for the UK retail goons. If you guys book in leave about 3 months in advance, would you normally get those dates off? Just asking because my boyfriend said he isn't sure whether he will get the dates he put in for leave to come to a wedding with me {something you really need to reply to ages in advance of the day itself}. Surely if he book so far ahead it shouldn't make a difference?

Should be fine unless people already have it booked. In my work there can be a maximum of four people booked for a holiday and then anyone else who tries gets turned down. You can do shift swaps at my work too but I don't know if they do that wherever he works.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Klaus Kinski posted:

Sounds like they deserve to be unemployed actually, since they can't even do that job right.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

gomababe posted:

I'm in the US, but I remember I asked off several months in advance for my own high school graduation, and my idiot supervisor didn't give it to me. It was on a Tuesday morning in May, in the lingerie department (NOT a busy time/day/dept). After begging and saying that I had relatives driving 11+ hours to be there he still wouldn't budge, so I had to go to a manager above him, who let me off for the day. The book where we ask for days off has a big coversheet in it that reminds us that "These are REQUESTS off, there is no guarantee that you will get the days off that you ask for" and they love to cover their asses with that little note.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

gomababe posted:

3 months should be certain to get it off. It's more than enough time ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

drat Bananas posted:

I'm in the US, but I remember I asked off several months in advance for my own high school graduation, and my idiot supervisor didn't give it to me. It was on a Tuesday morning in May, in the lingerie department (NOT a busy time/day/dept). After begging and saying that I had relatives driving 11+ hours to be there he still wouldn't budge, so I had to go to a manager above him, who let me off for the day. The book where we ask for days off has a big coversheet in it that reminds us that "These are REQUESTS off, there is no guarantee that you will get the days off that you ask for" and they love to cover their asses with that little note.

"I'm not sure why that high school diploma is so important to you. It's not like you need it to work here :raise: "