Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

SynthOrange posted:

Pharoah's Quest finally hit shelves here in Australia. :toot: Picked up Flying Mummy Attack.

Took me forever to fix the top wing of the plane in a way I liked/that worked. In a real biplane the top wing is not attached directly to the fuselage (and especially not in such a way that the dude can't see out), but by a series of struts on the fuselage and lower wing.

That said, swoosh swoooosh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I believe you mean 'Reeeooooowr RATATATATATATAT reeeeeooooow take that you filthy mummies!'. And yes that's pretty much the first thing I noticed once I assembled the thing. He cant see poo poo!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just turned mine into a Spitfire.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thought this was pretty impressive: the staff at LEGOLAND California replaced the GM's car with a life-size replica made from Lego: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNRBWOBTLCw.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

cheese-cube posted:

Thought this was pretty impressive: the staff at LEGOLAND California replaced the GM's car with a life-size replica made from Lego: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNRBWOBTLCw.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that the Lego version was already made. It was just in their shop for maintenance (yes, I'm still talking about the Lego one), when they realized it looked like their GM's car.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Just spent a small chunk of my paycheck on five sets, including Spongebob and a space invasion set. TRU had "buy 2, get one 90% off." Crazy.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Hello to all my fellow Lego-maniacs, my wife and me have a interesting request for you all if anybody is able to respond back if possible. We are going to try and decorate our future babies room in every thing Lego. We don't want to do the normal jungle, ocean, baby crap, we wanted something fairly unique and personalized to our styles. I did some searching online and found all type of wonderful things from Lego beds, lamps, furniture, wall decals and entire walls converted to make it look like one big Lego. The only down side is I did not find any plans, how to for any of these or where I could possibly buy the way decals or design plans.

My question to you all is does anybody have any experience building furniture, lamps or anything that can be used to design and decorate a child's room with? I have about 30+ Lego sets from the early to late 90's that I plan on setting up on shelves as displays and just general decorations, I know Lego's are a chocking hazard to babies so they will be far out of reach. We also wanted to turn a entire wall surface into a huge Lego brick using pieces of circle wood or a material that we can paint and some how attaching it to the wall to turn said wall into a giant Lego base plate. Does anybody have any experience with a design like this or how it is even possibly to get a ton of circles all the same size and shape to mimic the Lego brick designs?

We are not pregnant yet so time is not of the essence but I wanted to get this threads opinion and input on how I might go about designing the ultimate child Lego room. Any information, suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated and if it is a great idea I will have to ask you if I can steal it to use it in my designs. Thanks everybody that can help us out, it will be appreciated and this might be a really fun project.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can someone buy Rythe and his wife avatars that say "Best Dad Ever" and "Best Mom Ever"?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Rythe posted:

We also wanted to turn a entire wall surface into a huge Lego brick using pieces of circle wood or a material that we can paint and some how attaching it to the wall to turn said wall into a giant Lego base plate. Does anybody have any experience with a design like this or how it is even possibly to get a ton of circles all the same size and shape to mimic the Lego brick designs?

You might check your local craft stores for pre-cut wood medallions. Depending on the scale, you can get a large dowel and just slice it into disks. If it's going to be really big, and out of reach of little fingers, you might be better off going with something like styrofoam to save on weight. You can get foam in all kinds of shapes and sizes, and it holds together with just glue. Be careful not to use hot glue or spraypaint though, or it'll dissolve.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The proper way to Lego-ify your walls is to actually go buy a crapload of baseplates and attach them to the walls. :colbert:

There is also a ton of Lego merchandise that aren't actual sets. They've got plush minifigures, clocks, flashlights, taplights, wall decals, storage bins, play tables, play mats...

If you live near a Lego store, start visiting their Pick-a-Brick wall and look for transparent pieces; you could build your own lamp and shade around a plain cheap one from Walmart.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Pyroclastic posted:

If you live near a Lego store, start visiting their Pick-a-Brick wall and look for transparent pieces; you could build your own lamp and shade around a plain cheap one from Walmart.

Why have I never thought of this? Great idea!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Pyroclastic posted:

The proper way to Lego-ify your walls is to actually go buy a crapload of baseplates and attach them to the walls. :colbert:

There is also a ton of Lego merchandise that aren't actual sets. They've got plush minifigures, clocks, flashlights, taplights, wall decals, storage bins, play tables, play mats...

I am actually working on a plan to do this, trying to find a place to buy a ton of base plates for a decent price too. I plan on being able to spell out the kids name in Lego using the base plates and random colored Lego to make a neat sign. I also want to put base plates up at random, glue Lego pieces to the back of picture frames and attach them to the walls so we can have Lego picture holders and be able to change the stuff around at random.

I have seen pretty much everything you mentioned but any type of vinyl or plastic wall type of graphics, kinda of like the Fatheads but for Lego. I have a easy 10+ months to come up with ideas and build everything that I want, that will help spread the cost out and make it a bit easier I think.

Would you just glue to transparent pieces to the base and lamp shade? I was trying to think of a way I could build a lamp using nothing but Lego, you can get the electrical parts easily and I imagine with some trial and error you could make pretty cool Lego lamp. I might have to work on some sketches and build one of these cause I would love to have on in my room right now. :) Guess it is time to find all my old loose Lego from way back in the day and start with the ole brain storm.

Edit: We have a Lego store 2 hrs away down in Dallas TX, now I really need to think of ways to build a lamp and make a trip down there.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 26, 2011

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
BOGO50% off LEGO at TRU this week (excluding Star Wars, POTC, and Alien Conquest.)

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Just be careful your kid doesn't choke on the LEGO. Might be worth gluing blocks together unless you're utterly positive it won't fall apart and land within hands reach.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

James May has an account? Anyway put the assembled sets behind glass or clear plastic just to be safe.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

kim jong-illin posted:

Just be careful your kid doesn't choke on the LEGO. Might be worth gluing blocks together unless you're utterly positive it won't fall apart and land within hands reach.

Yeah I am working on plans for this, can't glue them due to moving in the next 3 years or so (military) so I figure putting them out of reach with display cases over them should do just fine. Since I doubt the kid will be any older than 3 by the time we move again, after another move I will glue them together to make the set a more permanent item. Though I am always open for suggestions, ideas or anything you all could come up with. I am going to try and document this process with pictures, time taken and total cost. Should be a good 10 month or so project I am hoping and if we take our time to plan it all should come out fairly nice.

It is super windy and hot right now so that means no going out on the lake. On the plus side I broke out all my old Lego sets, started to rebuild them and come up with ideas for displaying all of them. I am so surprised as a young kid I saved about 90% of the instructions, that alone is making this project so much easier.

Again if anybody has any ideas, experience or links they can share you have no idea how much that would rock, I am more or less winging this right now :)

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Just use Elmer's glue for gluing.
Then when the kid is old enough to play with them, you can just soak them to dissolve the glue.
Superglue bonds the plastic and they will never come apart.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Rythe posted:

I have seen pretty much everything you mentioned but any type of vinyl or plastic wall type of graphics, kinda of like the Fatheads but for Lego. I have a easy 10+ months to come up with ideas and build everything that I want, that will help spread the cost out and make it a bit easier I think.

I was just looking through a bunch of categories on amazon when I searched for Lego, and I found some of that stuff.

quote:

Would you just glue to transparent pieces to the base and lamp shade? I was trying to think of a way I could build a lamp using nothing but Lego, you can get the electrical parts easily and I imagine with some trial and error you could make pretty cool Lego lamp.

Yeah, you could definitely do it that way too. Just make sure it's a low-wattage fluorescent, though!

quote:

Edit: We have a Lego store 2 hrs away down in Dallas TX, now I really need to think of ways to build a lamp and make a trip down there.

Pretty long trip for the Lego Store. I'd definitely call them and see what they have in their wall before you go. You might be better off with bricklink; you'd be able to get a variety of transparent colors then, and you could make a sweet mosaic lampshade!

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 26, 2011

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
My Thunderbolt is done!

More here

God drat, what a pain in the rear end this has been. I built the thing with ball joints in the ankles and hips but, try as I might, it was just too top heavy. I even shoved the socket pieces through tires like someone (infineight?) suggested, but it wasn't enough. So I had to redesign the hips, feet, and part of the legs for locking hinges and exo-force joints. It's actually balanced fairly well, enough so that I got cocky and let it take a nasty destructive fall.

Still turned out bad-rear end. The little angled bits on the front and rear torso all worked perfectly, so did the shoulders, so not a complete failure.

Also played around with some better lighting. I hate photography. Any advice on not losing the detail on the black bits?

afflictionwisp fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 26, 2011

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

afflictionwisp posted:

My Thunderbolt is done!

That thing is sick as hell. Thew hands are genius. May I ask about how much it cost? As someone who intends to make a lego mech at some point, I want to know just how much my wallet will cry.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Faerunner posted:

BOGO50% off LEGO at TRU this week (excluding Star Wars, POTC, and Alien Conquest.)

That's basically everything I want. :(

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

That thing is sick as hell. Thew hands are genius. May I ask about how much it cost? As someone who intends to make a lego mech at some point, I want to know just how much my wallet will cry.

About $160, guessing to account for existing inventory. 1173 parts. The hands are blatantly stolen from something I saw on brickshelf. I would have preferred to think of something myself, but I was struggling and the scale was almost perfect.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Love random Lego encounters..

Walking across the parking lot here at work, I happened to look down and noticed a minifig laying on the ground. Its missing its arms/head and has been roughed up on the pavement, but hey.. free Lego.

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=93495&colorID=85 < this torso

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

About a month ago I found a pristine Ice Planet guy with orange chainsaw and everything in a parking space at the grocery store. Finding minifigs in public is awesome. :3:

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Made a little planet rover MOC. Two windshields back to back make a pretty good cockpit canopy. Angled technic beams provide wheel articulation.

This thread on Eurobricks has a large collection of Lego sets built in Lego Digital Designer. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41226 Nice resource.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Haven't seen this posted yet. Apologies if I missed it though...

Lego Rapture

The interior detail is pretty cool

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Schindler's Fist posted:

This thread on Eurobricks has a large collection of Lego sets built in Lego Digital Designer. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41226 Nice resource.

Holy poo poo.

I just did a quick search and found a little program to export those .lxf into parts lists for BrickLink. (seems to work with LDD 4, even though his site says LDD 3.)

http://www.nolberger.se/lego/wantedbricks/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet. Apologies if I missed it though...

Lego Rapture

The interior detail is pretty cool

Man this is neat. Love the tiny Big Daddy too.

Also thanks for the new thread title. I LOVE ABS.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
It's been a week since Brickworld Chicago, and I've been meaning to do a wrap-up post. I hope some of you got a chance to go. Anyway, I thought I'd run through the voted category winners from this year to give you a feel of what was there. I have tried to use photos from the creators' own flickr/brickshelf/MOCpage whenever possible, but I have noted several where I was unable to find them. If you have better photos or links to the creator's page for one of these, I'd love to have them. So here we go.

Best Spacecraft - Rimasuchus

Best Land Vehicle - Pizza Planet Truck

Best Sea Vessel - U-595 in Drydock This is not the creator's photo. I'd love to have a link to his page if it exists. This was my favorite thing brought to Chicago this year. Not pictured is the full interior detailing on the submarine. It was really impressive in person.

Best Aircraft - TWA Lockheed

Best Train - The 20th Century Limited Yay me!

Best Mecha - Rusted Iron

Best Creature - It's Not Easy Being Green

Best Mechanical - Quad Flexpicker

Here is a video of it in action. Lots of fun to watch.

Best Small Building - At the Sign of the Prancing Pony This was part of the LOTR display that won best group layout.

Best Large Building - The Dark Tower (not creator's photo) Note that all that red is thousands of individual flowers, each turned to exactly the same angle.

Best Vignette - The Battle of San Juan Hill

Best Artwork - Halle Berry (not creator's photo)

Best Youth Creation - RMS Titanic (not creator's photo)

Best Individual Layout - Andy's Room

Best Group Layout - Lord of the Rings Here's a random photo of Barad Dur. It was basically impossible to capture the whole layout in one picture, but there were very large models of Minas Tirith, Moria, Rivendell and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Best Mega Creation The Love Boat (not creator's photo) This thing ended up getting quite a bit of press, after Princess Cruises and USA Today heard about the story. Here's a rundown.

There were too many other great creations to cover everything I liked, but I just want to say that everyone should go to a major show if they have the chance. There will always be something that will completely blow you away, and having the opportunity to hang out with so many other AFOLs is a real treat. I definitely get more inspired at shows than any other time.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

afflictionwisp posted:

My Thunderbolt is done!

More here

God drat, what a pain in the rear end this has been. I built the thing with ball joints in the ankles and hips but, try as I might, it was just too top heavy. I even shoved the socket pieces through tires like someone (infineight?) suggested, but it wasn't enough. So I had to redesign the hips, feet, and part of the legs for locking hinges and exo-force joints. It's actually balanced fairly well, enough so that I got cocky and let it take a nasty destructive fall.

Still turned out bad-rear end. The little angled bits on the front and rear torso all worked perfectly, so did the shoulders, so not a complete failure.

Also played around with some better lighting. I hate photography. Any advice on not losing the detail on the black bits?

It looks great, and I'm not surprised you went with click joints since those ball&socket joints didn't look like they would be enough to hold it up. The tire trick only works when you build around them on purpose, they're kinda hard to adapt into a smaller space like this guy.

I think you did about as good with the lighting as you can do, but if you have photoshop you can always play with the shadows/highlights adjustment to make darker areas more visible.

Also holy poo poo, that Rapture is awesome and I'll just have to keep hoping I can go to a brickshow someday :(

foosel
Apr 2, 2010

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Best Sea Vessel - U-595 in Drydock This is not the creator's photo. I'd love to have a link to his page if it exists. This was my favorite thing brought to Chicago this year. Not pictured is the full interior detailing on the submarine. It was really impressive in person.

This thing is bloody awesome! I also love the interior:

Look at that tiny toilet! :3:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
It is easily one of my favorite MOCs ever.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Best Creature - It's Not Easy Being Green

Oh my God.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That spaceship just isn't doing it for me. I mean, it may be well-built, but it's just so......bland. It's like a greebly frosting tube.

And that mech, there's only one photo of it so I'm not sure if it's the angle, but it looks loving horrible.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 28, 2011

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Are there any good closeups of the Love Boat? That guys Flickr doesn't seem to have any :( Wanna see those minis.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

afflictionwisp posted:

About $160, guessing to account for existing inventory. 1173 parts. The hands are blatantly stolen from something I saw on brickshelf. I would have preferred to think of something myself, but I was struggling and the scale was almost perfect.
There are almost no completely original lego designs(for things like hands, engines, guns, etc) anymore, except stuff involving brand new pieces. Generally, most every hand design has been thought of already, so don't feel bad for using an existing one.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

About a month ago I found a pristine Ice Planet guy with orange chainsaw and everything in a parking space at the grocery store. Finding minifigs in public is awesome. :3:

At the same time, there is a small child(or large manchild) crying that he lost his space man :smith:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

That spaceship just isn't doing it for me. I mean, it may be well-built, but it's just so......bland. It's like a greebly frosting tube.

I was thinking the same thing. It's just meh. I'm guessing it was the largest ship there, so people thought it should win simply based on scale.
Looking through the flickr page, I guess it's a Battletech dropship, and there's a bay with some 'mechs in it, so I guess the overall design isn't entirely his.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Pyroclastic posted:

I was thinking the same thing. It's just meh. I'm guessing it was the largest ship there, so people thought it should win simply based on scale.
Looking through the flickr page, I guess it's a Battletech dropship, and there's a bay with some 'mechs in it, so I guess the overall design isn't entirely his.

I was thinking same thing but didn't want to seem like a hater. The other MOCs are simply stunning.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Grats on winning with your train.

That submarine is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Best Spacecraft - Rimasuchus

Pssh, that's Red Dwarf.