Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

The_Doctor posted:

Pssh, that's Red Dwarf.

I love that show so drat much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C7YzqTtFXU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

The_Doctor posted:

Pssh, that's Red Dwarf.

That's why it's called a Rimmer-Suck-rear end :D

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

boner meter posted:

Are there any good closeups of the Love Boat? That guys Flickr doesn't seem to have any :( Wanna see those minis.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/brickworld/

That's the Brickworld flickr group. You'll have to wade through quite a few photos, but there should be some in there.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

The_Doctor posted:

Pssh, that's Red Dwarf.

I was just about to post that it looked like a militarised Red Dwarf.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
My brother finished his Chocobo custom.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

There are almost no completely original lego designs(for things like hands, engines, guns, etc) anymore, except stuff involving brand new pieces. Generally, most every hand design has been thought of already, so don't feel bad for using an existing one.

It's not about using an existing design, it's about coming up with it myself :D

Saint Sputnik posted:

Is this an unexpected side effect of the new thread title? Nice bird.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So I finally got the Space Pimpmobile (my wife got it for me for my birthday) and also the large Space Police ship with the removable front. Interesting to see how construction methods have changed since the Deep Freeze Defender.

Still impressed they made a pimp limo.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

afflictionwisp posted:

Is this an unexpected side effect of the new thread title?

Yeah, according to wikipedia ABS is used for lego bricks, construction helmets, tattoo ink, and piping.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Man, I found this thread at the wrong time. I just gave all my lego away to a kid on my street. Still I know he'll get more use out of it than I will. :unsmith:

I made extra certain I had all the pieces for my favourite sets before passing the legacy on. Would be a shame to give somebody the best castle set ever incomplete:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Chronojam posted:

So I finally got the Space Pimpmobile (my wife got it for me for my birthday) and also the large Space Police ship with the removable front. Interesting to see how construction methods have changed since the Deep Freeze Defender.

Still impressed they made a pimp limo.

I regret I didn't buy any of those, or any Indiana Jones sets. It all came out during the few years of my life when I wasn't playing with Lego for some reason.

I don't regret my recent purchase of that Spongebob Krusty Krab Shack though. :colbert:

Holistic Detective posted:

Man, I found this thread at the wrong time. I just gave all my lego away to a kid on my street. Still I know he'll get more use out of it than I will. :unsmith:

I made extra certain I had all the pieces for my favourite sets before passing the legacy on. Would be a shame to give somebody the best castle set ever incomplete:

Woah bummer. And cool. My brother just told me he found a bunch of my old space and cowboy sets at home, so I might get those when he visits next month. (We might also go down to Indy for the Lego Store while he's here.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Captain Invictus posted:

And that mech, there's only one photo of it so I'm not sure if it's the angle, but it looks loving horrible.

Seriously, it just looks like a random amalgamation of parts.

EDIT: In LDD where the hell are all the male snap joint pieces?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 29, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Saint Sputnik posted:

I regret I didn't buy any of those, or any Indiana Jones sets. It all came out during the few years of my life when I wasn't playing with Lego for some reason.

This is my return to owning Legos, that began with my wife and another goon getting me the old Dark Dragon's Den and the newer Outpost Attack, plus the Lunar Limo. I found the big Space Police ship for like $45 with two day shipping so I got that myself while looking at newer sets.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Saint Sputnik posted:

"Custom" is an understatement. I can't even tell whether he used the ostrich as a base like I did.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Being bored, I set up a few of my minifigs in some kind of action sequence. I didn't realize how much fun it was just trying to get static figures to look lively and expressive.

This was my favorite bit.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

BrainWeasel posted:

"Custom" is an understatement. I can't even tell whether he used the ostrich as a base like I did.

Click the photo for his Flickr, it's got a couple WIP shots that show he clearly started with the ostrich. Ever since he was a kid he's had incredible skill for fine detail in tiny sculptures. I tried making a few accessories out of Sculpty recently and came up with a nice removable scarf, but I don't have nearly the talent or patience.

Dr. Platypus posted:

Being bored, I set up a few of my minifigs in some kind of action sequence. I didn't realize how much fun it was just trying to get static figures to look lively and expressive.

This was my favorite bit.

I love how a lot of new figs come with two expressions on the same head, one normal and one scared shitless, and how much life they're putting into the faces. And they're still designed to an exacting degree - just about any head can wear the S3 gorilla mask, for instance, and their pupils show through the eye holes.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Saint Sputnik posted:

I love how a lot of new figs come with two expressions on the same head, one normal and one scared shitless, and how much life they're putting into the faces. And they're still designed to an exacting degree - just about any head can wear the S3 gorilla mask, for instance, and their pupils show through the eye holes.

The one thing I don't like about the new faces they make is how sooooo many of them have a poo poo-eating smirk.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Revol posted:

The one thing I don't like about the new faces they make is how sooooo many of them have a poo poo-eating smirk.

:smug:, but in lego form. I actually like it that way. All the older figures had perpetual smiles and having people that look like douche bags in way more fun, in my opinion.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Revol posted:

Pixar should really be designing Lego faces instead of Dreamworks.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Saint Sputnik posted:

Pixar should really be designing Lego faces instead of Dreamworks.

Haha, that is so loving spot-on.

:smug:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

foosel posted:

This thing is bloody awesome! I also love the interior:

Look at that tiny toilet! :3:

That U-Boat is loving insane. Wish there were better pictures. Also your train rules. Congrats.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Revol posted:

Haha, that is so loving spot-on.

:smug:

It's been a thing for a while now. It's even got its own Trope.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 30, 2011

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Dammit, Toys R Us.

I went in today for nothing in particular, and came out with Mill Village Raid, City of Atlantis, and a pair of Lighthouse Islands. Got 'em for $55 off thanks to the BOGO50% deal, but still. If Alien Conquest wasn't exempted, I might've come back with two more Earth Defense HQs (the frightening thing is it may have been in addition to the other 4 sets!).

Good thing tomorrow's payday!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Does Toys R Us have the Creator Hillside House? Or does "hard to find" mean it's the Lego store or Lego website only? It's not on the TRU website.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ElwoodCuse posted:

Does Toys R Us have the Creator Hillside House? Or does "hard to find" mean it's the Lego store or Lego website only? It's not on the TRU website.

I've only ever seen the Log Cabin and the Apple Tree House at TRU. Pretty sure that is a LEGO 'exclusive', which basically means its not officially exclusive but might as well be.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just got the Midi-scale Star Destroyer in the mail from Bricklink, bought it sealed in box for $20. This thing is pretty awesome.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Pssh, that's Red Dwarf.

Red Dwarf, you say?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Muppetjedi posted:

Red Dwarf, you say?

Needs more greebles.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
So, I want your guy's opinions on something. I got an email yesterday from a guy, and he explained that he's built a copy of my Metal Gear REX, and he's almost done: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ok_studios/5724780146/

It's kinda weird to see a duplicate out there but cool at the same time. The problem is he asked about displaying it at BrickCon this year, with full credit to me of course. While I do want to get my stuff into a show someday... I'd rather be the one to do it. I want to be around to talk to people and hear what they have to say, and rub shoulders with other builders, etc.

What would you guys do?

Testro
May 2, 2009
I would tell him something along those lines. Say that his version looks awesome, but you were planning on displaying it in the future and you'd really like to be the first one to showcase it.

Could you offer for him to display it after you've had yours in a show one year? Or are you located near enough for you to both appear at a show together?

I would also say to him that you really appreciate him showing consideration in asking you first, and it's made you feel that you're happy to share models/instructions/parts lists etc with the community in the future. It just might soften the blow a bit and make him less tempted to show it regardless of your wishes!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

I wish I was close enough, but it would be a long drive/plane tickets + hotels to go to a show myself. I really want to go to one someday :ohdear: If I can get RAY all done before the con next year then maybe I'll make plans to attend for real.

It's not like I'm worried about it being 'stolen', I've always thought if you really want to build a copy of someone's stuff, you can't be stopped. That's the beauty of Lego really, you can play with something cool you saw if you get all the right pieces.

Thanks for the tips, I let him know how I felt :)

\/\/\/They were part of that sale two weeks ago, that's why I got two of the Jet-Copter Encounters. I guess they decided they sold too well with that last sale?

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 1, 2011

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
So what's the deal with Alien Conquest not being BOGO50%O at TRU these last few sales? Is it because it's new, or is it actually popular enough they don't want it flying off the shelves, or what?

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

InfinEight posted:

What would you guys do?

Basically what you already said. It's pretty flattering for someone to want to copy a moc, as long as they give credit. But to showcase it at a con before you've done so with the original is bad form.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

InfinEight posted:

What would you guys do?

Take yours to Brick Con. Display it right next to his, giving him full credit for the design, thus creating a Lego singularity.

Seriously, though, there's nothing else you can do but tell him how you feel about it. I'm impressed it's someone nice enough to contact you at all. I've seen a few serious thefts of ideas in the last couple years (making and selling instructions for someone else's design without credit, for example) At least this guy is honest. The problem is that a lot of people are not going to read the MOC card and assume the design is his.

I don't really get why you'd want to display other people's work at a show, anyway. I've made copies of other people's work in the past. It was part of how I familiarized myself with newer parts and learned better building techniques. I've hardly ever even photographed the copies, though, let alone put them on display somewhere.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Take yours to Brick Con. Display it right next to his, giving him full credit for the design, thus creating a Lego singularity.

Haha, that would be pretty funny. I actually wouldn't mind displaying them next to each other...

Generally I encourage people to make their own stuff, and I also don't mind sharing how I made things when possible. But I definitely agree I don't want someone else displaying stuff for me. It's just lame and feels dishonest.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Holy poo poo, have you guys seen Herorica yet?

http://heroica.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

My god, this is a loving dream come true. I can't wait to see what kind of crazy poo poo people come up with this. I'm already dreaming up how to make a sci-fi dungeon crawler :allears:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Ironically enough... http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2005/foreword.htm The fans did it first.

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011
I was just thinking it wouldn't be too hard to convert these rules for minifigs. The microfigs move one step at a time on those one stud 2x2 plates, so a minifig would move 2 or 3 studs, depending how you scale it.

You could represent all the weapons right there on the minifig and you could build custom monsters. Just missing the dice, since the lego website gives away the rules for free. But I suppose that's what they mean when they say they want to encourage people to build their own when playing. Nice game for the looks of it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Holy poo poo, have you guys seen Herorica yet?

http://heroica.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

My god, this is a loving dream come true. I can't wait to see what kind of crazy poo poo people come up with this. I'm already dreaming up how to make a sci-fi dungeon crawler :allears:

Here's mine from a couple weeks ago. I haven't put pictures up to illustrate it or linked the pages to one another, but the rules themselves are done.

Part one, and maybe I need a more clever name than "Lego Dungeon Crawl" but whatever. Part two, character classes; part three, weapons and stuff; and part four, combat rules. Give it a look and tell me what works and what doesn't.

Faerunner posted:

Ironically enough... http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2005/foreword.htm The fans did it first.

I think that's more large-scale, PvP combat, rather than monster-bashing treasure hunts.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Does anyone have a better idea than 'Summer, possibly July or August' for series 5? I only want three of them, but they tend to be in short supply around here so I don't want to miss out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Does anyone have a better idea than 'Summer, possibly July or August' for series 5? I only want three of them, but they tend to be in short supply around here so I don't want to miss out.

I don't think they've been spotted in the wild yet. Some stores are saying 'August', but TLG apparently sent a set or box to a Eurobricks member who reviewed them, and posted a contents breakdown:
3 Graduates
3 Gladiators
5 Grenadier Guards
3 Eskimos
4 Cavewomen
4 Godzillas
5 Zoo Keepers
4 Woodcutters
4 Circus Clowns
4 Aerobics Instructors
4 Detectives
3 Dwarves Warriors
5 Boxers
3 Pharaoh Queens
3 Mafia Gangsters
3 Snowboarders

Not as bad as it's been in the past, but they still aren't doing much for army builders (Only 3 Dwarf Warriors, Gladiators, and Gangsters).

I figure we'll start seeing them appear this month, but distribution's always a mystery. Fred Meyer stores on the west coast had S3 much earlier than most everyone else, and S4 appeared at Fred Meyer and TRU almost simultaneously, in large quantities (in fact, my TRU still has S3 and S4 available).