Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I *need* the USB tethering function that I use on my CM7'd Evo4G. Is there an option for that on the Evo 3D or am I stuck with something like PDANet?

(It has to be wired tether.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
hrrmmmm my EVO3D display will not turn off after 1 minute even though it is set to do so. This is killing my battery, although I did get like 12 hours.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

goku chewbacca posted:

A line on my account just got an Evo 3D, and its still on Gingerbread 2.3.3 even with the newest update. Is there any way to get gchat with video working? Can I just install a gtalk.apk extracted from a miui.us or cm7 rom from an Evo4G? Android apps are designed to scale across different resolutions/pixel density, right?

The last I saw is that it will run on Sense based ROMs but you needed to flash from recovery and the front camera is always sideways/upside down. You are out of luck...for now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

After being a cell phone Luddite for most of my life, I've finally reached a social status where my pre-paid plan with AT&T is officially around 60 bucks per month. It's time I get a real smart phone with a real plan instead of this used iPhone 3G that is slow as hell and rather hilarious to pull out at bars with the addendum "oh, but I don't have data." I'm ready to take the dive into Sprint (which apparently has great service out here in San Francisco) and the EVO 3D, which meets my requirements of dual-core, 4G, Android, and awesome screen (AMOLED requirement deferred to S-LCD after discovering S-LCD is sharper, which I care about more than color values.)

My phone habits are mainly texting with light talk. I'd like unlimited data because I'm finally at the point where I travel enough to not be near free WiFi at every minute of the day. So, after reading the OP, it seems the cheapest plan possible I will get is 70 bucks per month using the ERP for 450 talk minutes with unlimited text and data. Does this still hold true or is there anything else I should know? One of my friends mentioned haggling at the Sprint Store (which I am going to go to to try out the EVO 3D in person, just to make sure I like it) but he said he could accomplish that because he had been a customer for a decade. What do you guys think?

Sprint cracked down on sales reps putting illegit discounts on accounts, so haggling at a store will get you no where. You either qualify for a good discount via work, or you should go with EPRP.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My only real design complaint about the 3D is the camera button and 2d/3d button. The camera button I thought was a cool feature, but I don't like it sticking out the way it does. It is nice to have a button to take a picture, but my EVO already does that with the volume buttons. The 2d/3d button is stupid. Should of been a software setting. That said overall not a bad looking phone for a HTC phone. HTC phones can be ugly looking, but I think this looks nicer than the EVO.

Also the 3D is fun for like 5 minutes, and kind of cool to show your friends, but that is about all. If they can improved the screen quality (which is already great) to make it look better than other qHD screens I would rather have the non-3D version of this phone that is rumored.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

traveling midget posted:

I *need* the USB tethering function that I use on my CM7'd Evo4G. Is there an option for that on the Evo 3D or am I stuck with something like PDANet?

(It has to be wired tether.)

I guess EasyTether works for the low low price of $9.99.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 28, 2011

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
My 3D keeps freezing up, usually on Words with Friends, and most recently in Gmail using Swype. Is this a regular Android thing, or should I worry that something might be wrong?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
My 3D keeps freezing up, usually on Words with Friends, and most recently in Gmail using Swype. Is this a regular Android thing, or should I worry that something might be wrong?

I don't think WwF crashing is the phone's fault. Maybe they've improved it since the first release, but that thing locked up my optimus more frequently and thoroughly than any application before or since.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I keep getting this terrible error message "SMS Error: radio interface resource shortage" every time I try to send a text (and every 10 seconds or so for the next half hour afterwards). What the hell is going on?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

The same thing happened on my Evo when I switched to Google Voice integration. Texts would come in only through Google Voice, not through Messaging. I turned off the Google Voice integration, though, and it worked fine.

Even if GV was hijacking my messages, it shouldn't affect my mms, since those bypass GV anyway.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Myrddin Emrys posted:

The same thing happened on my Evo when I switched to Google Voice integration. Texts would come in only through Google Voice, not through Messaging. I turned off the Google Voice integration, though, and it worked fine.

Same thing happened to me, texts wpuld only show up in Gv, so I turned on "notify via text message" and it worked.

goku chewbacca posted:

A line on my account just got an Evo 3D, and its still on Gingerbread 2.3.3 even with the newest update. Is there any way to get gchat with video working? Can I just install a gtalk.apk extracted from a miui.us or cm7 rom from an Evo4G? Android apps are designed to scale across different resolutions/pixel density, right?

What is the best video chat/call app now? Fring? Does skype even work for video chatting on the 3D?

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
So anyway, back to Sprint talk.

The wife is getting tired of her Pre. I don't blame her. Contract is up in September and she can upgrade in July I guess. What is coming up fairly soonish? Blackberry need not apply.

- Battery life is a priority
- Physical keyboard would be nice, but she will be fine without one.
- Nothing huge. She thinks my Evo is enormous. She has small hands anyway.

She loves the ease of use for WebOS and as much as I would hate her to do it, she'd get a Pre 3 on Sprint if that were an option...which doesn't look like it's happening anyway.

I told her it's very likely that she'll have to jump to VZW iPhone for something that's Pre-like. Is there something rumored that I'm not aware of that will make her happy?

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
I switched my wife to an Optimus from a Pixi and she's much happier with the Optimus.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Pizza Club posted:

So anyway, back to Sprint talk.

The wife is getting tired of her Pre. I don't blame her. Contract is up in September and she can upgrade in July I guess. What is coming up fairly soonish? Blackberry need not apply.

- Battery life is a priority
- Physical keyboard would be nice, but she will be fine without one.
- Nothing huge. She thinks my Evo is enormous. She has small hands anyway.

She loves the ease of use for WebOS and as much as I would hate her to do it, she'd get a Pre 3 on Sprint if that were an option...which doesn't look like it's happening anyway.

I told her it's very likely that she'll have to jump to VZW iPhone for something that's Pre-like. Is there something rumored that I'm not aware of that will make her happy?

Has she tried using the HTC Arrive? It's WP7 but it's very nice and has one of the best physical keyboards on the market.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

Alman posted:

Has she tried using the HTC Arrive? It's WP7 but it's very nice and has one of the best physical keyboards on the market.

No, I'll have her check it out though. I haven't used a WP7 phone yet, but I used to have a couple old WM 6.1 phones. Have they really gotten their poo poo together?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
The battery life on the Evo 3D is noticeably better than the Evo 4G. I struggled to get through a full day with my normal use on the 4G, but with the 3D yesterday I had an hour phone time, couple hours of gaming, along with some Pandora and browsing, with BT and Wifi on, and I plugged in after 19 hours with over 20% battery left.

Good times!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pizza Club posted:

No, I'll have her check it out though. I haven't used a WP7 phone yet, but I used to have a couple old WM 6.1 phones. Have they really gotten their poo poo together?

Look at the Mango Preview, overall yes. Android is still very arguably better but Windows Phone 7 is nice. Also, current phone wise I would highly recommend the Shift.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/27/windows-phone-7-5-mango-in-depth-preview-video/

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Pizza Club posted:

Short answer: Yes.
It has no legacy WM 6.x code whatsoever as it was built from the ground up and has an incredibly sexy and intuitive UI. Mango will only make it that much better and bring it up to par with all other platforms. The HTC Arrive has what many claim to be the best physical keyboard on any Sprint phone right now (the OSK is good as-is if you don't want to use it).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Holy crap the Evo 3D is so nice! The screen is just amazing, and it FLIES, even compared to my Nexus One.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Pizza Club posted:

Honestly I was really skeptical about going to Android from webOS, but its pretty similar in many respects. My girlfriend picked up a Nexus S, which does 99% of the cool things of the newer phones and should continue to get updates for a while, and she's doing just fine acclimating to the differences between the two.

The big thing for me that really cemented my decision and got rid of any buyer's remorse after I bought the two phones was the fact that we now have access to so much more useful stuff (even if a lot of it is mostly fluff like Yelp's monocle search, its nice eye-candy) that just wasn't possible on any webOS device to date, and there is still so much uncertainty in the webOS ecosystem. Even if the Pre 3 was available today it would be a bad choice, I think. I was a die hard fan up until about 6 months ago, since then it has been the waiting game for me.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
EVO 3D impressions:

The new Sense 3.0 is very pretty, but it kind of feels like they have put form before function on a couple of things. I mean, the weather animations are nice, but they are so elaborate that they are actually kind of distracting.

I hate hate hate the spinny carousel on the stock launcher. I keep spinning it on accident when I try to go to the next screen.

I forgot how much I liked the Facebook contacts intergration that Sense does.

The phone is very fast, even compared the EVO 4G, but its not like the EVO 4G was making me wish it was faster. I guess its nice to have room to grow.

The extra internal flash is nice, but at the same time, flash is so cheap I don't know why they didn't make it 4GB of storage or even more.

The screen is beautiful. qHd looks really nice.

3D looks OK for pictures and video. But for some reason it looks fantastic on Youtube. Go to the Youtube app and search for "3D" and the first video is "GoPro 3d: Highlight Reel 2011". It looks awesome and for some reason it seems to have a better view angle range that video or pictures in 3d mode. If anyone knows why this is, I would love to know.

HTC should be punished not not allowing the stock launcher to be customized more. We should be able to adjust the number of rows and columns on the home screen, and I would like it if I could put the WiFi/4G/Bluetooth toggles on the notification drawer where the redundant last run apps are sitting.

The new lock screen is pretty nice, but I wish I could customize it more as well. you can pick 4 quick apps to launch and you can choose one info "thing" to display... Like weather, or agenda, or stocks. But as big as the screen is, you easily have the space to display more than just one thing. I really don't need all 4.3" of the screen showing me the sun and clouds. On the other hand, it is still more functional that the stock android lock screen.

The phone feels good in my hand. I like rubbery texture that the back has (though one of my coworkers hated it).

All of the bloatware apps that the phone ships with are "uninstallable". They really don't uninstall, but they act like the do and remove their icons from the app drawer. Good enough I guess.

A lot of the things I that I complained about are fixable using a 3rd party launcher like ADW or Launcher Pro.

I am left hoping that root is found on the phone soon so that I can restore my Titanium backups of all my apps and their settings.

All in all it will be the phone I recommend to people who are shopping on Sprint.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Far as I'm concerned, WebOS still beats Android in terms of usability. Putting a bunch of system widgets on a screen is a far cry from the unified WebOS system menu, and the Android back button is loving annoying in that it does wildly different things depending on the app and even scenes within the same app.

Course, I've only been using Android for a few days now so it could just be a subconscious "UGH I HATE ADJUSTING TO NEW STUFF" thing.

To get back on topic:

This is a real thing. I called Sprint this morning and got a straight-up $100 credit that didn't affect my upgrade. If you're close to a contract renewal or just recently did one, it's definitely worth a call.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 28, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Leathal posted:

This is a real thing. I called Sprint this morning and got a straight-up $100 credit that didn't affect my upgrade. If you're close to a contract renewal or just recently did one, it's definitely worth a call.

Do you seriously just call and ask for the contract renewal credit or something?

Sounds like how much you can get is based on proximity to your original contract end-date.

e; Does it push your contract out to two years from the date you call?

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 28, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

sirbeefalot posted:

Do you seriously just call and ask for the contract renewal credit or something?

Sounds like how much you can get is based on proximity to your original contract end-date.

e; Does it push your contract out to two years from the date you call?

Only two of the lines on my four line plan were eligible, and the rep didn't bite when I fished for more info on what exactly makes a line eligible.

It seems like it renews your contract without affecting your upgrade status, but read through the xda thread a bit first. In my case, I had literally just upgraded a few days prior so I didn't have anything to lose. Either way, it worked and I got 50 bux x2 without having to do any scumbag poo poo like "gimme a discount or i'm going to verizon".

Edit: Sprint's customer service this upgrade cycle has been absolutely phenominal, and I really doubt I'll be switching carriers for a long time. Between this unexpected credit, moving a Pre to another line without adding the $10 smartphone fee, and basically not trying to nickle-and-dime me to death, I can honestly say I *like* my wireless carrier which is a shocking thought in the year of our lord 2011.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 28, 2011

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Now my swype isn't even showing the path when I trace out words. It seems something has gone wrong with it for some reason. No one else is having any out these problems?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Now my swype isn't even showing the path when I trace out words. It seems something has gone wrong with it for some reason. No one else is having any out these problems?

Happens to me daily. Long press on a text input field, switch to normal input, then back to swype, and it'll work again.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe

Leathal posted:

FYI, EPRP isn't eligible for this.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Happens to me daily. Long press on a text input field, switch to normal input, then back to swype, and it'll work again.

Its been happening to me too. Another symptom is the modifier keys don't work (shift, sym, etc.). Sometimes switching input methods and switching back works, sometimes not. Also I wish there was a way to get rid of the language toggle key. :(

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Leathal posted:

I bought 2 3d's off amazon. I called to activate mine right now and the guy set me up and then right before we hang up he told me two of my lines qualify. The 2 I just bought the 3d's for. So I got $50 per line credit on next months bill.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Sense is beautiful, but I really wish there was a better element of customization, in particular maybe if the widgets weren't almost entirely all gigantic.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Chunk posted:

Sense is beautiful, but I really wish there was a better element of customization, in particular maybe if the widgets weren't almost entirely all gigantic.

You know there are multiple sizes for most of the HTC widgets, right? When you're adding them you get a preview window and if you scroll left/right you can see more variations. I believe most widgets have smaller versions than the defaults (except bookmarks, of the few I looked at)

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Myrddin Emrys posted:

You know there are multiple sizes for most of the HTC widgets, right? When you're adding them you get a preview window and if you scroll left/right you can see more variations. I believe most widgets have smaller versions than the defaults (except bookmarks, of the few I looked at)

Yeah I know about those but for instance the friend stream one you either can have a full page stream, a text entry box, or a solitary friend channel. Blargh

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chunk posted:

What I hate about Sense is its ancient launcher and app drawer. Widgets size not a issue for me.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'm trying to fully port one of my Sprint numbers to Google Voice, cancelling that line of service. Unfortunately, probably because of Sprint/GV integration, porting is not an option when I click on Port My Number to Google Voice. I've made sure the number I'm trying to port isn't even one of my forwarding phone numbers.

I found a Contact Us form in the Number Portability FAQ help pages. How long does it take Google to get back to you when you contact them?

How does a company as big as Google not have a single customer service phone number?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Umm, should I add it back as a home or work phone? If I flag it as mobile, Google seems to always know its a Sprint line. The only option it offers is to use the Sprint integration feature.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 29, 2011

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat
If you've made your sprint number your google voice number you'll have to undo it, then make your sprint number a forwarding number but don't identify it as a sprint number then it'll give you the option to port it.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

nate fisher posted:

What I hate about Sense is its ancient launcher and app drawer. Widgets size not a issue for me.

What's ancient about it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Myrddin Emrys posted:

What's ancient about it?

I just hate that the Sense 3.0 Launcher is a grid and you have to flick up to see apps in blocks of 5, instead of a smoother transition. Drives me nuts everytime i play with it. Probably my only gripe on sense 3.0.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Duckman2008 posted:

I just hate that the Sense 3.0 Launcher is a grid and you have to flick up to see apps in blocks of 5, instead of a smoother transition. Drives me nuts everytime i play with it. Probably my only gripe on sense 3.0.

I actually kind of prefer that over Launcher Pro / stock Android style. The reason for this is I have a nasty habit of over-swiping to my apps. I'm not super precise with it. So knowing it's "two swipes" instead of "a swipe of x speed" is nicer for me.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Are there any other phones that use the 3d's big square battery or is it proprietary? Also I read a review that said using 3d features seemed to drain the battery at about a percent a minute, does that sound right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Anyone have any recommendations for a really cheap hard case for the Evo 3D? Looking to make my own car mount, so basically just need something simple that will keep it's shape...